Helpful links:

NYC LODGING THREAD

TRIP ADVISOR

http://www.foodsofny.com/index.php

http://www.screentours.com/

http://nyc.bestparking.com

https://www.enttours.com/destination...ationInfoId=35

http://www.nycruise.com/terminal.html

Here is also a link to the press release put out by the NY Economic Development Corp. and they finally put a link to the press release on the NYcruise.com website

http://www.nycruise.com/index.html

http://www.nycedc.com/PressRoom/Pres...ruiseLine.aspx

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/info.php?city=NY

https://www.airportfastpark.com/BaltimoreMapBlue.aspx

DISUNPLUGGED INFO ON NYC CRUISES

BAHAMAS INFO FROM DCL SITE

A Disney Cruise Line 8-Night Bahamian Cruise offers a vacation to remember with a day in historic Nassau, a day on Disney's private island Castaway Cay, and a day at Port Canaveral—your gateway to Walt Disney World Resort! Included in your cruise fare is a 1-day Walt Disney World Resort ticket with Park Hopper® option for each Guest in your travel party. At Port Canaveral, complimentary roundtrip transportation is provided between the ship and the Resort. On this round trip departing from New York City, discover a world of sand, surf and sun blended with all the wonders of the tropics!

FYI....the one day park hopper ticket included is good for ONLY that one day and can't be used to upgrade to any other multi-day ticket

2 NIGHT CRUISE INFO FROM DCL SITE

5 NIGHT CANADA CRUIE INFO AT DCL SITE

HOTELS RECOMMENDED BY DISERS:

SKYLINE HOTEL

COMFORT INN TIMES SQUARE

SHERATON TIMES SQUARE

CHELSEA SAVOY HOTEL

MARRIOTT MARQUIS TIMES SQUARE

And in New Jersey - across the Hudson River:

Homewood Suites by Hilton®
10 The Promenade, Edgewater, New Jersey, United States 07020
Tel: 1-201-941-4700 Fax: 1-201-941-479
next to shopping, restaurants, and movie theaters

Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
500 Harbor Boulevard · Weehawken, NJ 07086 USA ·Map · Contact Us · Phone: (201) 617-5600 · Fax: (201) 617-5627 · Special Offer Reservations:
(866) 716-8115 (next to Lincoln Harbor NY Waterway Terminal)

W Hoboken 225 River Street, Hoboken, New Jersey 07030 United States
Phone: (201) 253-2400
(Expensive)

Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson
2 Exchange Place,
Jersey City, New Jersey, USA 07302
Tel: (201) 469 1234 Fax: (201) 432 4991

Pictures of the drive to the port via the GWB and port entrance can be found in this thread at posts 88 and 89.

I read that overnight parking at the port is $30/night. Eek! That being said, we are driving in and parking. DH is handicapped and we need to bring in his scooter. It's too much of a pain to get it on and off the trains.

Amtrak is nice. You can check their website for all the information. It's a fairly easy site to navigate.

I'll leave the hotel request to someone that actually stays here. I just come in, work and then leave for the night. No hotels for me. :goodvibes

We're on a 5 night to Canada too. Can't wait! :banana:

are you taking the train in or driving? If so...how much will it cost to park our vehicles at the port? We are taking the 5 day cruise to Canada. Does Amtrak have deals? I have never been on a train....when do you book that? How does that work?

How do we go about finding a hotel to stay at if we want to stay a couple of nights before? I have never been to NYC so I have no clue where to start.

THANKS

Hi, edk (is it Ed?)

Parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is $30 per day, paid when you enter for the duration of your cruise. Actually, not too bad a rate - some mid-town garages get that for 6 to 12 HOURS. That's the way to go if you're not staying before. AMTRAK should run about $100 per adult round trip, so add in 2 kids, it's about a wash, train fares plus taxis to port vs. driving, tolls, gas & parking, and what about your car or getting to the station at the Baltimore end? (oops - for a 5 day cruise, much LESS than AMTRAK)
Hotel - use Hotels. com. , read TripAdvisor, and ask more specifics here on the boards. There's been several threads where questions of this type have been posed and answered, don't know if the moderators can combine them, or if one will become dominant. Hope so.
Marriott Marquis, the Millenium and some others are always "mainstream" choices. Most people, on a first visit, do want to stay in the mid-town, and more specifically, the Times Square area. So, it is pricey - kinda like when I come to Baltimore and want to stay in the Inner Harbor area - I know I pay more than when I stay more towards the airport, or up by Johns Hopkins.

DH and I were just talking about this. He commutes into NYC everyday for work. Parking at the train station would be covered (we pay quarterly for parking) as would his train ticket (he buys a monthly ticket). We would have to pay for 5 RT train tickets into NYC and then do 2 RT cab fares (for the luggage - there are 6 of us and walking our luggage to the port is out of the question). Five RT tickets is $147.50 alone ($14.75 one way from Princeton Junction). Cabfare will put us at or just over the $180 to park for 6 nights. It's easier for us to just park at the terminal.

BTW, we're sailing on Aug 12. :cool1:

Hi, edk (is it Ed?)

Parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is $30 per day, paid when you enter for the duration of your cruise. Actually, not too bad a rate - some mid-town garages get that for 6 to 12 HOURS. That's the way to go if you're not staying before. AMTRAK should run about $100 per adult round trip, so add in 2 kids, it's about a wash, train fares plus taxis to port vs. driving, tolls, gas & parking, and what about your car or getting to the station at the Baltimore end? (oops - for a 5 day cruise, much LESS than AMTRAK)
Hotel - use Hotels. com. , read TripAdvisor, and ask more specifics here on the boards. There's been several threads where questions of this type have been posed and answered, don't know if the moderators can combine them, or if one will become dominant. Hope so.
Marriott Marquis, the Millenium and some others are always "mainstream" choices. Most people, on a first visit, do want to stay in the mid-town, and more specifically, the Times Square area. So, it is pricey - kinda like when I come to Baltimore and want to stay in the Inner Harbor area - I know I pay more than when I stay more towards the airport, or up by Johns Hopkins.

It is actually Denise. LOL Those are my initials. Thanks for the information!!!!!!

DH and I were just talking about this. He commutes into NYC everyday for work. Parking at the train station would be covered (we pay quarterly for parking) as would his train ticket (he buys a monthly ticket). We would have to pay for 5 RT train tickets into NYC and then do 2 RT cab fares (for the luggage - there are 6 of us and walking our luggage to the port is out of the question). Five RT tickets is $147.50 alone ($14.75 one way from Princeton Junction). Cabfare will put us at or just over the $180 to park for 6 nights. It's easier for us to just park at the terminal.

OMG I am in East Windsor too! And going on the Aug 12th cruise!!!
How exiciting!!!

I am just going to cab it all the way from Jersey to NY - The train IMO is no not worth it -
And before I commit to a cab, I will be begging my brother to drive us and pick us up :)

OMG I am in East Windsor too! And going on the Aug 12th cruise!!!
How exiciting!!!

Which elementary school? We're in McKnight...ss well as Kreps and the HS. This year, I had 4 kids in 4 different schools.

I just looked into taking the train from Hamilton. Kids are free up to age 11 on weekends if riding with a paying adult. Hope this helps.
I emailed NJ Transit about taking luggage on the train and here is the response I got:

Dear Xxxxx,
Thank you for your inquiry. As of this writing, there are no restrictions on bringing luggage aboard NJ TRANSIT services. Please carry on only the amount of luggage that you can safely manage without assistance. NJ TRANSIT employees are not obliged to handle your belongings.

NJ TRANSIT uses several different rail cars, some of which have more of a provision for luggage than others. Our newest cars have three seating levels – upper, lower, and mezzanine – and are known as “multilevels.” Due to height issues (they have to fit through the tunnels and under overpasses), these cars have no overhead racks on the lower level, and only narrow ones on top. If the train that arrives has multilevel cars, the best option is to ride in the mezzanine level, which offers more space. Please note that customers with disabilities have priority in accessible seating areas. Luggage should not be positioned in such a manner that it blocks aisles or otherwise interferes with easy movement.

Please also keep abreast of travel and security news. In times of heightened security, restrictions may be imposed. However, right now, you can travel freely with luggage.

NJ TRANSIT looks forward to serving you.

Sincerely,

Fred Bauer
NJ TRANSIT Customer Service Team

So between the uncertainty about space for luggage, paying another $7/day parking at Hamilton, taxi in NY (probably needing 2) from Penn Station to port, it's easier to just drive and park. We'll leave early in the am so we can skip a lot of traffic and we sail on a Sat so hopefully won't be a hard drive.

Hi, edk (is it Ed?)

A few additions to this - on Amtrak, kids will be 1/2-price, unless you take the Acela. Acela on the DC - Baltimore - NY route runs about 25-30 minutes faster than the regional, so for vacation purposes, it's probably worth it to pay less and take a bit longer with the regional. It's still <3 hours from DC. I think about 2:15 from Baltimore.

Also, if you do want to go earlier and stay a while, if you drive, that's one area that will eat you up in parking. I haven't found anywhere less than about $40/day when parking in a garage close to a hotel. Taxis are pretty cheap throughout Manhattan, so if you do take the train instead and stay a few days before the cruise, you could do better $$-wise than driving and parking. Totally depends on your gameplan......

A few additions to this - on Amtrak, kids will be 1/2-price, unless you take the Acela. Acela on the DC - Baltimore - NY route runs about 25-30 minutes faster than the regional, so for vacation purposes, it's probably worth it to pay less and take a bit longer with the regional. It's still <3 hours from DC. I think about 2:15 from Baltimore.

Also, if you do want to go earlier and stay a while, if you drive, that's one area that will eat you up in parking. I haven't found anywhere less than about $40/day when parking in a garage close to a hotel. Taxis are pretty cheap throughout Manhattan, so if you do take the train instead and stay a few days before the cruise, you could do better $$-wise than driving and parking. Totally depends on your gameplan......

Thank you so much. I will have to investigate all of this. Do hotels make you pay for parking if you stay at one for say two nights??

I just looked into taking the train from Hamilton. Kids are free up to age 11 on weekends if riding with a paying adult. Hope this helps.
I emailed NJ Transit about taking luggage on the train and here is the response I got:

Thanks for the info, but all our kids will be age 11 and older. I have to pay for 6 adult APs this year for the parks!!! :faint: No more kiddie breaks for us.

What's your idea of "pretty cheap"? How much would you say a taxi would cost from train station to port? Do they have minivan size taxis or would it be more likely to ask for 2 taxis?

For those looking to drive in check out the following link:

http://nyc.bestparking.com

If you enter dates/times you will be arriving & departing, an address or cross streets it shows all parking garages in the vicinity with rates for the length of stay. They also guarantee a certain rate so no matter what it says on the garage sign you pay whats on your reservation. I've used them a bunch of times whenever I drive into times square & it works great!

Example: I found a garage for 8 nights for $160 just a couple of blocks from the port. If you park at the port it would have been $240.

Thank you so much. I will have to investigate all of this. Do hotels make you pay for parking if you stay at one for say two nights??
Generally, parking is not include in hotel rates in Manhattan. There is a Sheraton Suites in Weehawken, NJ, that I use frequently for visitors that is just across the Hudson River from the Ship Terminal, with a ferry about 50 yards from the front door. They adjust their parking policy occasionally. I hope to speak with the management and see about cruise length parking coupled with a stay. Let y'all know.

What's your idea of "pretty cheap"? How much would you say a taxi would cost from train station to port? Do they have minivan size taxis or would it be more likely to ask for 2 taxis?

Well, Penn Station to the piers would be about $10-$11 including tip. There ARE some small SUV taxi, but they're still only 5 passenger, so 4 plus luggage might be tight.
http://www.taxifarefinder.com/info.php?city=NY
Here's a great resource, be sure to click through to the Taxi & Limo Commission site for more guidance. Whatever you do, DO NOT take a "livery" car (used to be known as "gypsy" cabs) unless you've contracted with them prior. They are NOT allowed to take what is called a street hail, but their drivers are very aggressive in haunting transit facilities, airports etc, and soliciting travelers. At best you'll be overcharged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!