NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

All being well we will be flying in from England the day before, either to JFK or Newark. Where would people suggest is the easiest/most cost effective place to stay and to get to the port?

We will be staying in New York for a few days after the cruise, hopefully this will be in Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza/Staybridge etc on Priority Points, so not too worried about that side of the stay, its more the night before the cruise.

Any guidance much appreciated. :)

For those looking to drive in check out the following link:

http://nyc.bestparking.com

If you enter dates/times you will be arriving & departing, an address or cross streets it shows all parking garages in the vicinity with rates for the length of stay. They also guarantee a certain rate so no matter what it says on the garage sign you pay whats on your reservation. I've used them a bunch of times whenever I drive into times square & it works great!

Example: I found a garage for 8 nights for $160 just a couple of blocks from the port. If you park at the port it would have been $240.

So you would just carry/pull/roll your luggage to the port???? Or would you take a cab?

We are taking the Amtrak from Springfield MA to NY. The train will be cheaper to us than driving and paying parking.

So you would just carry/pull/roll your luggage to the port???? Or would you take a cab?

I saw one lot right on W55 St. that showed $76 total for the three nights of our June 2012 departure. That's a half-block off 12th Ave. One right on the corner of 12th showed $92 for the same Fr-Sat-Sun, so that's more than the terminals lot. Have seen passengers pulling luggage there routinely these days from/to ships, but the driver could always drop off passengers and luggage, go park and walk back. Actually quicker than my routine in Port Canaveral, dropping off passengers and returning one-way rental car then taking shuttle bus back to port.

I saw one lot right on W55 St. that showed $76 total for the three nights of our June 2012 departure. That's a half-block off 12th Ave. One right on the corner of 12th showed $92 for the same Fr-Sat-Sun, so that's more than the terminals lot. Have seen passengers pulling luggage there routinely these days from/to ships, but the driver could always drop off passengers and luggage, go park and walk back. Actually quicker than my routine in Port Canaveral, dropping off passengers and returning one-way rental car then taking shuttle bus back to port.

Oh that is true...hubby could drop us all off and then go park. :idea:

We are taking the Amtrak from Springfield MA to NY. The train will be cheaper to us than driving and paying parking.

Is there long-term parking at the Springfield Amtrak station? We have taken the train to NYC from Springfield but only for a day trip. If there is parking, do you now what it would cost to leave the car there for 8 days?

I'm glad that is going to be the thread to discuss everything pertaining to the NYC cruises! :thumbsup2

We're booked on the very first sailing, so I'm especially interested in this. Haven't decided yet what to do prior to sail date; find a hotel the night before to leave our vehicle parked at; take the train from MA to NYC on the morning of the cruise; take the train the night before; etc etc!

I'll post whatever info I find. :surfweb:

I just called AmTrak.

Parking at Rte station (Rte 128, Westwood) is $12/day.

Parking at Springfield station is $8/day.

No minimum or maximum number of days.

Hope this helps! :)

Is there long-term parking at the Springfield Amtrak station? We have taken the train to NYC from Springfield but only for a day trip. If there is parking, do you now what it would cost to leave the car there for 8 days?

We would be coming from Sprfld too. Or driving. Still up in the air.

I'm glad that is going to be the thread to discuss everything pertaining to the NYC cruises! :thumbsup2

We're booked on the very first sailing, so I'm especially interested in this. Haven't decided yet what to do prior to sail date; find a hotel the night before to leave our vehicle parked at; take the train from MA to NYC on the morning of the cruise; take the train the night before; etc etc!

I'll post whatever info I find. :surfweb:

We are on your same sailing and also coming from MA, so I will be following your posts with great interest! :surfweb:

Hello everyone! We are cruising the Magic out of NY in August of 2012 :cool1: . We are from NC and will be flying into NY. We normally fly Southwest Airlines and I see that they only fly into Newark or Laguardia. Our friends from England who will be cruising with us will be flying into JFK. How difficult will it be to get to JFK to meet up with them? We are planning to come up a day or so pre-cruise as we have never been to NY before! It's so exciting!!! I know it's 16 months away but I can't help myself...I've already been doing a little research :goodvibes . Anyone have any tips for those of us who have never been to NY? I would love to go the set of the Today Show one morning! I love watching that show in the mornings while have my cup of coffee before work. Someone else I talked to said go to China town but I have no idea what they are talking about :confused3. Any advice and info would be much appreciated!! TIA

We are on the August 5 cruise and coming from CT. We were thinking of maybe going to NY the day before. Someone posted a thread with a hotel about a mile from the pier with decent rates. We might check into that. I just fear that there will be some traffic tie up on the hightway and we won't make the ship. -but that is just "worrying me"

Hello everyone! We are cruising the Magic out of NY in August of 2012 :cool1: . We are from NC and will be flying into NY. We normally fly Southwest Airlines and I see that they only fly into Newark or Laguardia. Our friends from England who will be cruising with us will be flying into JFK. How difficult will it be to get to JFK to meet up with them? We are planning to come up a day or so pre-cruise as we have never been to NY before! It's so exciting!!! I know it's 16 months away but I can't help myself...I've already been doing a little research :goodvibes . Anyone have any tips for those of us who have never been to NY? I would love to go the set of the Today Show one morning! I love watching that show in the mornings while have my cup of coffee before work. Someone else I talked to said go to China town but I have no idea what they are talking about :confused3. Any advice and info would be much appreciated!! TIA

If you & your friends are arriving the same day it wouldn't make sense meeting them at JFK. JFK is further away from Manhattan than Laguardia. I would suggest just meeting at your hotel.

If you plan on doing The Today Show plan on being awake really really early and be prepared to do some waiting especially if they have a musical guest.

Chinatown is one of the neighborhoods in Manhattan where you can shop & eat authentic Chinese food.

I'm sure Disney will most likely offer pre-cruise hotel stays so I would keep checking.

We are on the August 5 cruise and coming from CT. We were thinking of maybe going to NY the day before. Someone posted a thread with a hotel about a mile from the pier with decent rates. We might check into that. I just fear that there will be some traffic tie up on the hightway and we won't make the ship. -but that is just "worrying me"

As long as you don't leave your hotel at 3PM you'll be fine. We have tons of traffic but not that much! :rotfl2:I live about 3.5 miles from the port and it will probably take me 30-45 minutes tops to get to the port by taxi.

If you & your friends are arriving the same day it wouldn't make sense meeting them at JFK. JFK is further away from Manhattan than Laguardia. I would suggest just meeting at your hotel.

If you plan on doing The Today Show plan on being awake really really early and be prepared to do some waiting especially if they have a musical guest.

Chinatown is one of the neighborhoods in Manhattan where you can shop & eat authentic Chinese food.

I'm sure Disney will most likely offer pre-cruise hotel stays so I would keep checking.

Thanks for the reply! So Laguardia is the better airport to fly into being it is closest to the cruise port? So should I tell our friends to look into the cost of flying into Laguardia versus JFK?

We are hopefully going to go up a "couple" of days early to do some sight-seeing. We would love to go to the 9/11 Memorial! They do still have something right?

We did get the DCL transfers because we have never been to NY and thought that might be best to get to the cruise terminal the day of the cruise. For the 3 of us in my family it was $216. Would it be pretty easy and stress-free to get to the cruise terminal? We may be able to cancel this later on as more information becomes available and we do a little more research! I would think a taxi would be cheaper than $216.

Thanks for the info! I'll be checking out this thread alot :goodvibes .

Thanks for the reply! So Laguardia is the better airport to fly into being it is closest to the cruise port? So should I tell our friends to look into the cost of flying into Laguardia versus JFK?

We are hopefully going to go up a "couple" of days early to do some sight-seeing. We would love to go to the 9/11 Memorial! They do still have something right?

We did get the DCL transfers because we have never been to NY and thought that might be best to get to the cruise terminal the day of the cruise. For the 3 of us in my family it was $216. Would it be pretty easy and stress-free to get to the cruise terminal? We may be able to cancel this later on as more information becomes available and we do a little more research! I would think a taxi would be cheaper than $216.

Thanks for the info! I'll be checking out this thread alot :goodvibes .

For you it would be easier to fly into Laguardia. Your friends may not have a choice because of their international flights. Most international flights depart & arrive from JFK so they may not have much of a choice.

By the time next year rolls around the new World Trade Center Tower may be mostly finished. It's still being built. There is still a memorial there.

The easiest way would probably be DCL transfers in you fly in day of. They would most likely have a designated point for pick up then drop you right off at the port just like in Port Canaveral. If you fly in a few days before I would take a taxi from the airport. From Laguardia to midtown is approximately $30-40 total (not each). There is never a shortage of taxis at the airport. Your friends could do the same from JFK but it would be more around the $60 mark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter