Number of People Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking is a cheat. Let’s just call it what it is. I,m not telling people not to do it. If people are OK cheating they can do whatever they want. But to try to spin it like it is something everyone should do because it makes you superior is just laughable. Walking is making it harder and harder to book at the 11 month window. Where does it end. Walking 4 months to get your room. Where in the rules does it say we have to EARN our reservations.

It wasn’t there earlier. I was being snarked on and snarked back a little.

The value days I picked up in the wake of walkers. The concierge days after DVC blocked everybody from walking and finally opened them up again.

In a “first come, first serve” system, competition is part of the process. I learned the system to compete better. Why else invest the time?

And because I know the rules - and the loopholes - I’d compete better even if walking was banned. THAT’S how I got both reservations, not by my walking them.

I agree. I spend hours and hours reading in this forum so that I can know what I have to know to make my Disney vacations better in every way. I spent a year reading everything I could before my first trip and 7 Disney trips later I know it was worth it.

Be careful what you ask for. Disney just raised the point chart for VGF Standard studios by 9%. Will this make it easier to book studios? Yes. But it could seriously hurt some members who only bought enough points to book studios.

Be careful what you ask for. Disney just raised the point chart for VGF Standard studios by 9%. Will this make it easier to book studios? Yes. But it could seriously hurt some members who only bought enough points to book studios.

Agreed. And they left the LV points mostly alone. Sigh. VGF standard views (with the exception of 1221) are among the best standard views around.

Appears the thread is morphing into those who feel walking is ‘wrong’ and those who don’t have qualms utilizing reported advantages.

One of the great things re the disboards is the sharing of strategies that help in planning Disney vacations. Disney is quick to shutdown loopholes, well at least when it benefits them to do so. For that matter the boards here have had the same policy of mods correcting posters & even closing threads that veered into murky territory.

I’ve discussed the concept of walking a reservation with DVC reps every single time I’ve called in to adjust It. Never, was I chastised or made to feel as though I was cheating the system If anything, was told it was perfectly acceptable under the stated policies.

I posted here earlier that I had to settle for AKV kidani starting 12/1, first date of my window. Did waitlist both studios at Jambo standard & value (even though mid week dates blocked out initially)

Very pleasantly surprised to receive an email today that the Jambo standard studio @ Waitlist came through! The WL system has come through for me many times, as long as I place it near the 11 month mark. Maybe that’s the real best kept secret?

Walking is a cheat. Let’s just call it what it is. I,m not telling people not to do it. If people are OK cheating they can do whatever they want. But to try to spin it like it is something everyone should do because it makes you superior is just laughable. Walking is making it harder and harder to book at the 11 month window. Where does it end. Walking 4 months to get your room. Where in the rules does it say we have to EARN our reservations.

Some folks was just raised right.

Sure.

To the same extent that everybody here is a thief when you take money out of a bank...where you have an account...from the balance you have on account...

That said, I DID manage to turn 100 AKV points into 4 nights in a value during F&W and 3 nights in a concierge during Star Wars opening next Dec for access to advanced FP booking. I’d call that pretty exceptional.

Yeesh. Just stop boasting. I did something very similar, did not need to set up anything special, was not any smarter than anyone else, just lucked out.

Yeesh. Just stop boasting. I did something very similar, did not need to set up anything special, was not any smarter than anyone else, just lucked out.
It’s not a matter of being smart; it’s about investing the time to learn the system, loopholes and all. That’s why most of us are here on this forum; to learn and share.

By learning the system, taking the time to study it and playing by the rules as they exist, well, to be cliched, you create your own luck.

It’s a “first come, first served” system. That means it’s a competition, by design. No amount of complaining about the rules - or even “fixing” them - is going to eliminate the competitive nature of booking rooms where demand outstrips supply. But. Learning to be more competitive is it’s own “fix”.

I don’t have a problem with walking because I know how that works and am willing and able to take advantage of it.

That said, I’m honestly neutral about walking. I don’t want to be penalized (creating new charges, making the system otherwise worse) to make it go away, but if it did go away, I’d be fine with it.

The reason why I’d be just fine with walking going away is that I would still be at the same level of advantage/ disadvantage if nobody could walk as I am if everybody can walk.

What I won’t do, though, is unilaterally disarm and not walk while others do - - out of some vague moral code that’s not on point to a competitive system.

(It’s not my moral duty to assist others in beating me out of booking a timeshare room. I feel fairly convicted about that.)

I have every bit as much right to play within the stated rules as implemented as everybody else does.

That includes walking. I didn’t make the rules, or choose how they were implemented, but I’m gonna play by the rules as they exist.

If walking is eliminated, I’ll play that game, too.

To finish the thought, the problem is that the demand for these rooms at these times is increasing, seemingly exponentially.

Walking didn’t cause that and ending walking won’t fix that.

And it’s gonna get worse. If I wanted to stay in studios, I’d buy a fixed week going forward.

Last edited:
I have only been a member for 4 years, but primarily travel during the peak seasons such as Christmas. We bought just for this reason. If the only way I can secure a reservation is to walk for a week or two, I will do that. I don't consider it an advantage or cheating because everyone has the same access I do. Also, during the few times I haven't been able to secure a reservation right at the 11 month window, I've input a wait list request and they have come through. If "walking" wasn't an option, everyone still wouldn't get their ideal reservation because there just aren't enough rooms. That's the real problem. Setting restrictions on how many times someone can modify their reservation wouldn't change the availability. In my opinion, it would just generate more issues and complaints.

Last edited:
When people tie themselves in knots to try to explain something they are doing a red flag always goes up. DVC says we can book our home resort at 11 months. ANY attempt to book earlier than the rules state would be trying to circumvent the rule. If that is not cheating I don’t know what is. Saying everyone can also cheat as an excuse is silly. Maybe some people don’t want to cheat. Those getting their rooms before the 11 month window are doing so at the expense of other members. People can choose to do what ever they please but I am not going to let someone tell me something is red when it is obviously blue.

When people tie themselves in knots to try to explain something they are doing a red flag always goes up. DVC says we can book our home resort at 11 months. ANY attempt to book earlier than the rules state would be trying to circumvent the rule. If that is not cheating I don’t know what is. Saying everyone can also cheat as an excuse is silly. Maybe some people don’t want to cheat. Those getting their rooms before the 11 month window are doing so at the expense of other members. People can choose to do what ever they please but I am not going to let someone tell me something is red when it is obviously blue.
Tying themselves up in knots discussing walking in a thread about ... walking.

No resort is being booked before the allowable booking time. Members can add days. Members can drop days. MS has been reported many times to have taught people how to do it. There is not a single rule being broken which would be the definition of cheating.

Your own words. Do I see the word cheat in there?
1. Wasn’t a reference to walking but to timing the 8am window; you think that’s cheating now, too?

2. It’s a play on words that doesn’t need moral policing and doesn’t make your point.

1. Wasn’t a reference to walking but to timing the 8am window; you think that’s cheating now, too?

2. It’s a play on words that doesn’t need moral policing and doesn’t make your point.

You said cheat not me. But you said you don’t consider yourself a cheater but there it is in your own words. Play on words. Lol. Keep tying yourself in knots. I,m sure no one will notice.

No resort is being booked before the allowable booking time. Members can add days. Members can drop days. MS has been reported many times to have taught people how to do it. There is not a single rule being broken which would be the definition of cheating.

Again DVC says we can book at 11 months yet people are purposely starting early. These people aren’t adding or dropping days because their plans changed. They are putting themselves in front of those who believe in the 11 month rule. Yes booking right at the 11 month window is hit or miss on some desirable rooms but that is how DVC set up,the system. Like I said do what you want just don’t try to tell me it is something it is not. BTW I book 1 bedrooms and don’t have a problem getting my rooms at the 11 month window. I just believe in right and wrong. There are now zero hard to get studios for people at the 11 month window. Walkers have taken even the chance of getting these rooms away from those who follow the TRUE rules of DVC. I don’t think you guys are fooling as many people as you think in here. I just think the other walkers take comfort in the fact that they have other cheaters around them. That’s human nature. But not many are fooled by this upside down logic.

Opinions vs facts. I'll side with facts. Zero hard to get studios at 11 months? So there are only 5 people per day that want Club level at AKV? I know, it's your opinion so it can't be wrong.

Just because something is hard to get doesn’t mean one should circumvent the rules to get it. DVC says you can book your home resort at 11 months. You want to answer why you and others are trying to start early on that. Everyone who wants CL rooms should go online right away on the 11 month window. Of course it is hit or miss but it is fair to everyone trying to get those hard to get rooms. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. That’s life. You guys always win because you basically cheat the rules. Fact. Not opinion based on the fact that people are booking early and walking down to when they really want their reservations. You really think we don’t see that. It’s like a criminal getting off on a technicality even though he committed the actual crime. And no I am not comparing walkers to criminals. It’s just a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!