NSSHP or Luau?

bigmama67

DIS Veteran
Hi, so we are going to Orlando in August. We were NOT planning to do a Disney park because our 9 y.o. DD has OCD and is fearful of animatronics and mannequins.

We are doing multiple other parks and Kennedy...however, I would like to incorporate some Disney activities in the mix. Therefore, we were planning on doing the Luau on a night when we could then view the MK fireworks from the Poly beach.

HOWEVER...I have just learned that the night we were looking at the Luau, August 17, is the first night of Mickey's NSSHP!

I have always wanted to go to this, and I never thought we'd get the chance. I am a HUGE Halloween freak and particularly love Nightmare Before Christmas...and this is the only time Jack and Sally are at the parks!

So here we are: DH, me, 15 y.o. son and 9 y.o. daughter. One night. Would you choose the luau or NSSHP?

Thanks!

I would typically say MNSSHP, but you stated you aren't going to Disney parks because your DD has OCD and is afraid of animatronics and mannequins. The party is in MK, a Disney park, so I'm a bit confused . . . .

Understandable...sorry for not being clear. We are working to encourage her to become desensitized. She did really well at Rainforest Cafe last week, and I think she will be excited enough to work through this...also it's 4 months away. So I guess I'm thinking if it's really great, it would be worth helping her power through it.

I'm very excited about the NSSHP...is it true that you can get into the park earlier than 7 p.m.? At least it's after high season...hoping it will be workable. Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

We will be there the following week and were faced with the same choice. TBH, I'm still not 100% sure, but as of now we have reservations for the luau. We've done both on previous trips, and we really enjoyed both, but I just can't wrap my head around Halloween in August. Plus, MNSSHP works out to about $100 more for us, and we'd still need to worry about dining.

I would do the party. Another way to help your daughter is show her YouTube videos of the party and everything she can do. OCD is a pain in the you know what but you can learn to work around it and it can you a great IT person (of course my employees might argue about that one).

I think the Halloween party will be worse for your daughter than a standard park day. I would suggest the luau for her

Understandable...sorry for not being clear. We are working to encourage her to become desensitized. She did really well at Rainforest Cafe last week, and I think she will be excited enough to work through this...also it's 4 months away. So I guess I'm thinking if it's really great, it would be worth helping her power through it.

I'm very excited about the NSSHP...is it true that you can get into the park earlier than 7 p.m.? At least it's after high season...hoping it will be workable. Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

Hi,
We go to the Halloween Party every year, for at least 10 years, without kids, and then starting when my daughter was in my belly, and then 8 months old!! She's now 7. We love it.
I'm not sure as to what level of fear your daughter has, but you should be aware that it's a Villain's night- like, ALL the Villain's come out. My daughter was scared at first (around the age of 3, before that she wasn't really aware of them) because she thought that if they were 'bad guys' in the movie, they would be mean and dangerous in real life (so cute, though- right?). We told her that they are only bad in the movies, because well, it's just a movie. In real life they are nice. She absolutely loves going around telling people this too. Like she thinks she knows something others don't. Ha
Additionally, the park will be DARK. I mean, clearly there are a million lights, but you are at MK at night.
As far as animatronics go, a lot of attractions close at 7 pm for the party- the Tiki Room (bird animatronics) and the Carousel of Progress (our favorite! with people animatronics). I'm sure there are other attractions closed but I just can't think of them now. Definitely steer clear of the Haunted Mansion!!!

The Laugh Factory has a little bit of animatronics, but it's hilarious and a must-do for us. If I may tell you a touching story- while I was pregnant we all went to WDW, and I brought my parents, who are quite conservative, but cool at the same time. Adults dress up as well, but of course my parents didn't have a costume so I brought them HIPPIE costumes to wear. I mean, head to toe hippies. LMAO. We were crying laughing. My dad even wore this funny thick mustache. He looked hilarious. Mind you, though my parents lived through that time, they were by no means ever a part of THAT group! haha So, at the laugh factory, Mike (the eyeball from Monsters, Inc) calls out to people in the audience for random funny moments, and your picture is projected onto the screen for everyone to see and laugh at. Well, one of the 'titles' is THAT GUY. Well, my dad was chosen out of a packed theater to be THAT GUY and of course the whole place was in stitches because he looked so funny. He even got a sticker at the end of the show that said something about him being THAT GUY. It was so fun for all of us. This was in 2010. In 2015 my father died out of NO WHERE from a heart attack. :( So now, every time we go to MK during the Halloween party we make an effort to see the Laugh Factory- for the fun of it, for the memory, and to feel closer to that happy moment so many years ago.

Sorry, I know that's totally off-topic, but the point, is that the MNSSHP can be whatever you make of it. As long as you are prepared in what to expect, considering your daughter's stress level, etc. There is so much to do and experience at this event. So many unique memories to create.

I should also mention I've been to the Luau more times than I can count, it's another experience we absolutely love. However, there is no way EVER EVER I would choose the luau over the MNSSHP. Go to MK. You will LOVVVVE it. There are special treats you can only buy during the party. And you can trick or treat in the park! TONS of candy. Try and get your DD to dress up. I'm 42 and dress up every year! And I don't even dress up for the real Halloween!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!