Now that California is fully reopened and we can go to Disneyland without masks or distancing...

In my area (not in CA though lol) it just pays to keep a mask with you.

This salon will require it not that salon (mother-in-law just got a pedicure 2 days ago and they required masks). This restaurant will require it not that one (or strongly recommend). Most if there is a sign are speaking to fully vaccinated people. We've been car shopping and a few have kept mask signs up some haven't. Main library system guests are strongly recommended to wear masks (employees are still required to no matter what) unless you've been fully vaccinated. Most grocery stores are fully vaccinated are fine but unvaccinated should still wear masks (employees may still be required regardless of vaccination). We've been quite open as well for a long time.

Unless not allowable by law businesses can choose to do what they want in this case in CA they may be taking the approach of not wanting to split yet vaccinated vs unvaccinated and keep it mostly level (pure guessing).

I'm in NJ and even though our mask mandate is over most people still wear them indoors. Walmart, Target, the grocery store. As the weeks go by I do see less people wearing them but it's still about 80% wearing them. Some small businesses still require a mask but that's few and far between.

Is that what is going on in Cali? The mandate is over but businesses are still requiring them on their own?
For instance ...Costco is packed (as usual) and I counted five masks not including a few of the employees wearing them. Exactly half wore a mask at my doctors office even though “required”. I do not wear one useless requested. I don’t feel it’s necessary but do so out of respect. I am also a rule follower

Would love to hear more about Cali as I was literally in the middle of planning a trip

Is that what is going on in Cali? The mandate is over but businesses are still requiring them on their own?
Yes. It has only been 2 days since he state wide mandate was lifted. Some places may still be working through how they want to proceed. Employees are still required to wear masks, that is likely to change today after the CalOSHA meeting.

For at least one business that is still requiring mask, they have said an employee is unable to vaccinate, so it is in effort to help protect that person. I am still wearing my mask. My county is seeing a “surge” in cases. I visited a restaurant this weekend that had an employee test positive. I am vaccinated so my risk is low but it still is a cause of concern for me.

I haven't found any retailer in my part of California that has taken its mask requirement signs down. I've checked the requirements from our local health directors, and all align with the state guidance, which is that fully vaccinated individuals don't need it. But we've gone shopping or getting takeout, and every single place still hasn't relaxed it.
I'm in Sacramento County- I decided to check things out Tuesday morning and went to my favorite store Trader Joe's. I had my mask around my wrist as I walked from my car- the signs had been taken down from entrance doors. Hurray, finally! I shopped and noticed I was the only one without a mask :confused3 I am fully vaccinated. I definitely felt uncomfortable at first, like I was doing something wrong. I was anxious about other customers or an employee confronting me, but no one ever did. When I checked out, I asked the employee if masks were still required-she said they were following state guidance and for fully vaccinated people, they are optional. Later that day I went to my local mall to shop at Bath and Body Works for their semi-annual sale, nothing like getting shower gels or candles for 75 percent off, lol. I couldn't take advantage of it last year because all the stores in Northern CA at least were all closed down. I had to walk through JCPenney, which still had a mask sign up. I took it off when I got inside mall. I asked again at Bath and Body works about wearing mask, not needed if vaccinated. I still had to wait in line with one person ahead of me. They still require you use their hand sanitizer before entering. There was a capacity sign of 36 for inside store but there was maybe a dozen people in there. The employee doesn't let you go in unless someone comes out, okay? I play by the rules but I'm just so tired of the nonsense at this point.

Oregon you can go maskless if you are vaccinated and the store does something to try and verify if you are vaccinated. Walmart you have to wear since they are asking no one.
Costco you have to verbally say you are vaccinated to go without, I carry my card just incase.
We still have to wear them at work even outside on campus as our company will not ask if we are vaccinated. You could even sign up and get it onsite.

It kind of does mean just that. Business can still require you to wear a mask. If you CHOOSE to go to that business you should respect the business and follow their request.

The question now is, how long will it be before most businesses feel it's safe enough to align with the CDC's recommendations and not feel the need to enforce the Mask/Distancing thing as part of their own rules?

We are driving home from Disneyland right now. Our trip went the 12-16, so 3 days under restrictions and 2 under none. It was like two different trips and these last two days were like Disneyland pre-pandemic (except with reduced crowds and no fastpass). There was zero distancing starting the 15th and I’d say 75% were unmasked - although that might be have been so high because of the extreme heat.

That said,I don’t think there is even the possibility of meet & greets like before until children can be vaccinated. Plus, it’s a CalOSHA and Union issue. I didn’t hate the character set ups - they were way more interactive than before.

The question now is, how long will it be before most businesses feel it's safe enough to align with the CDC's recommendations and not feel the need to enforce the Mask/Distancing thing as part of their own rules?
The guidance is for only fully vaccinated that's why there's a bind here. Not about not feeling safe per se just the businesses are trying to figure out what to do and some may choose to continue to require it (or strongly recommend it by way of a sign) and may only remove it if/when the CDC (and governing bodies allow for) says unvaccinated don't need to social distance or wear masks.

That said,I don’t think there is even the possibility of meet & greets like before until children can be vaccinated. Plus, it’s a CalOSHA and Union issue. I didn’t hate the character set ups - they were way more interactive than before.
What type of interactions were there with the characters? Did they just sorta bring them out in a parade-style thing?

What type of interactions were there with the characters? Did they just sorta bring them out in a parade-style thing?
No, they’re set back distanced. So like Cruella stood on the stairs of the train station, but she talked to my daughter for like 5 mins about her new movie. They just seemed to spend more time interacting with the kids (or adults) than I’ve seen in the past. And you can do a socially distanced pic if you want. I think it’s because most people do just walk right by so there aren’t long lines or crowds.

The ones I saw (mostly walking by) were Mickey, Chip & Dale, Pluto and Goofy at the top of the train station. Cruella on the stairs. Tigger was on the grass over outside by Tomorrowland. Woody & Jesse above the Golden Horseshoe. Tiana above Royal Street Veranda & Jack Sparrow on the stairs above Pirates. He loved talking to people in line for the ride.

In DCA, Elsa & Anna, Snow White & Dopey and Mickey & Minnie on rotation by the fountain. Nick Wilde between Ariels & Grizzly Peak and then all the characters in Avengers.

No, they’re set back distanced. So like Cruella stood on the stairs of the train station, but she talked to my daughter for like 5 mins about her new movie. They just seemed to spend more time interacting with the kids (or adults) than I’ve seen in the past. And you can do a socially distanced pic if you want. I think it’s because most people do just walk right by so there aren’t long lines or crowds.

The ones I saw (mostly walking by) were Mickey, Chip & Dale, Pluto and Goofy at the top of the train station. Cruella on the stairs. Tigger was on the grass over outside by Tomorrowland. Woody & Jesse above the Golden Horseshoe. Tiana above Royal Street Veranda & Jack Sparrow on the stairs above Pirates. He loved talking to people in line for the ride.

In DCA, Elsa & Anna, Snow White & Dopey and Mickey & Minnie on rotation by the fountain. Nick Wilde between Ariels & Grizzly Peak and then all the characters in Avengers.
I def. think that's good that they brought them out even distanced like that and had those interactions at least, people miss those I'm sure. Plus pictures! Maybe they'll keep that going for a long while to help ease not having the real close meet and greet. I bet the kids really loved Sparrow talking to them waiting to get on

And IIRC DL had more characters roaming in the first place in comparison to WDW. Seemed like it when we were there. I def. remember Chip & Dale and Tiana. I remember Woody over in Toy Story.

I'm not really into actual meet and greets but I think it adds to the experience to have the characters out and about at least.

The guidance is for only fully vaccinated that's why there's a bind here. Not about not feeling safe per se just the businesses are trying to figure out what to do and some may choose to continue to require it (or strongly recommend it by way of a sign) and may only remove it if/when the CDC (and governing bodies allow for) says unvaccinated don't need to social distance or wear masks.

Given how unbelievably contagious this virus is and the fact that there's still a large percentage of the population that are either hesitant to or outright refuse to take the vaccine, the CDC might never allow the unvaccinated to go without restrictions.

We're currently at 44.1% for the total percentage of the us population being fully vaccinated, and the rate of vaccinations is seeing a sharp decline with each passing day. It's very possible that we may never reach Herd Immunity.

Unless a bill was passed stating that it is required by law to get a Covid vaccination, and if you refuse to do you, you will go to jail and be vaccinated anyway.

No one can answer that. For some business it is easier to just require everyone to wear a mask than to have ask each customer if they are vaccinated or not. Plus those who are anti mask & anti vax are just going to say “yep” and keep going.

Unless a bill was passed stating that it is required by law to get a Covid vaccination, and if you refuse to do you, you will go to jail and be vaccinated anyway.
Which is very unlikely. I’d almost say a ZERO percent chance of it being legally required of the general population. Schools & individual businesses may require it but no one is going to jail for not being vaccinated

No one can answer that. For some business it is easier to just require everyone to wear a mask than to have ask each customer if they are vaccinated or not. Plus those who are anti mask & anti vax are just going to say “yep” and keep going.

Which is why businesses need to require proof from their patrons of vaccination, either showing their vaccination card, or perhaps something like Contagion where the vaccinated have a bracelet as proof that they are clean and healthy. I honestly thought that was how the Covid situation was going to be once vaccines started rolling out, that the vaccinated would have a bracelet or a necklace or something showing that they are clean and healthy.

It kind of does mean just that. Business can still require you to wear a mask. If you CHOOSE to go to that business you should respect the business and follow their request.

Not necessarily. Many retailers had signs put up by the property company (like in large strip malls). We went to Target and Game Stop yesterday and they still had signs up because the property owner hadn't gotten around to taking the signs down yet. I specifically asked at Target if we needed to wear masks and they said no, and I pointed out the sign said otherwise and they actually didn't realize the sign was still up! The girl said "I'll let management know to take down the sign."

Same deal at Game Stop. They had added another sign next to the "masks required" sign that said masks were optional for vaccinated customers. The guy there said they were not allowed to remove signs placed there by the property owner, and had to wait for them to take it down.

So, just because there is a sign, that doesn't mean the business is following it.

the CDC might never allow the unvaccinated to go without restrictions.
I mean yeah the guidance may not adjust for a long time if ever. I just understand why so many businesses are still in that spot because of the conflict presented. CA just opened up more so it will probably follow like other places where there will be a gradual week by week thing of easing up but I'd expect so places to continue on for the time being as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter