• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

November 7, 2009 ~~~~ AHOY ST.CROIX ~~~~

I dream about cruising a lot. ;) We've been on two, both with Disney, a Western and the PC repo. I've been to Hawaii a bunch of times, but this will be the first trip there for my younger DD, and our first NCL cruise.

We just returned from a vacation at WDW over Thanksgiving. It's become a tradition these last few years - I'm not sure I remember how to cook a turkey! :lmao: FWIW, I don't think MVMCP will be starting until after the cruise, so you may be able to attend during your post-cruise days.

Wow! WDW at Thanksgiving, how fun is that?! :banana: How long do you stay, and where? Is it really busy? A couple years ago we decided as an extended family to have Thanksgiving at California Adventure. We had it at the Grand Californian, which was fantastic eating but so crowded. After dinner we decided to hop across to DL... OMG the lines just to get in was so long!! Holy cow. I think all of So Cal decided about 5 pm after eating their dinner to come on over!! Is it really crowded at WDW too? I guess we thought we were the only family who thought spending the day there was a great way to spend Thanksgiving...LOL!!!!

We love to be there at that time of year. In the past we have arrived on Thanksgiving or just after and it is insanely crowded, but most people go home the Saturday and Sunday afterwards. The following week is great.

This year we took Veteran's Day through Thanksgiving Day because they fell close enough together that my kids still only missed a week of school. Veteran's Day was busy, but the rest of the week was wonderful. People started arriving for the holiday starting on Saturday, and by Monday things were really hopping and lines were long. We actually got a fastpass for Buzz Lightyear with a return time of 1:15 am! lol, we used it too.

We ditched the parks the day before the holiday and went to Blizzard Beach instead - it was the best day of the week. Everybody must have been getting their park fix, because the crowds at the water park were no problem.

This year we took Veteran's Day through Thanksgiving Day because they fell close enough together that my kids still only missed a week of school. Veteran's Day was busy, but the rest of the week was wonderful. People started arriving for the holiday starting on Saturday, and by Monday things were really hopping and lines were long. We actually got a fastpass for Buzz Lightyear with a return time of 1:15 am! lol, we used it too.

We went the week of Veteran's Day 4 years ago on our last WDW trip, and it was awesome. This year we're going again on the weekend before (then having a 4 night Wonder cruise during Veteran's Day) then staying again through the weekend after. We loved November there so much! DH really wanted to do Thanksgiving week, but balked once he saw the prices for the land/sea that week! LOL. Maybe in the future.

That's crazy about a 1:15 am fastpass!!! Now that we have Buzz Lightyear out here, it'll be fun to go on it again and see what's different about the two rides. At DL I know all the secret places you can hit a hidden "zurg" and get like 100,000 points :cool1:

Getting excited about our Wonder cruise this year!! I tried to start a cruise meets thread, but nobody has posted on it:sad: We definitely decided to keep the 09 cruise a secret until next Christmas!! I think I'll have so much fun planning how to tell them, what little present hints I can give...

That's crazy about a 1:15 am fastpass!!! Now that we have Buzz Lightyear out here, it'll be fun to go on it again and see what's different about the two rides. At DL I know all the secret places you can hit a hidden "zurg" and get like 100,000 points :cool1:
MK was open regular hours to 1am that night and it was an extra magic hours night on top of that! We only lasted until almost 2am, but they were open until 3!

The two rides do have different "bonus" spots. DH has a talent for finding them and maxed out his score last time at WDW. DD should NEVER have told him we found one he didn't! He rode it until he found it. I really like emailing your score home though, and you can't do that at WDW. We solved the problem by taking our own photos of our scores!

Hi everyone! Well, we made it back. Only a few minor glitches with United but other than that, it was a wonderful trip. Wow! Hawaii was amazing. By far one of my favorite places we have ever visited. Now I just can't wait to go back! Just like Disney, it's addicting. ;) We're still a little tired right now. After I catch up on some rest, I'll be back on the DIS boards. I just wanted to say hi and see what's bee going on since we were gone. Talk to ya'll soon. Bridget

Welcome back! I knew you would love Hawaii!:love: I'm glad you had a great time. I bet you are tired after those flights back! How long did it take you?

Christine

Wow! Hawaii was amazing. By far one of my favorite places we have ever visited. Now I just can't wait to go back! Just like Disney, it's addicting. ;)
Yes, it's easy to fall in love with Hawaii. :lovestruc I'm glad you had a wonderful time, and I'd love to hear about it! Welcome back!

Welcome back! I knew you would love Hawaii!:love: I'm glad you had a great time. I bet you are tired after those flights back! How long did it take you?

Christine
It took us 13 hours :scared: to get there but it was well worth the flight time. Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Disney does a cruise there in 2010 to open up the new resort they're building. :rotfl: :rotfl:
I was actually surprised that I liked Oahu like I did. I had been told be family members that we wouldn't really like it but we loved our hotel (Moana Surfrider) which was on Waikiki beach and we loved the North Shore. We went back to the North Shore twice just for Matsamoto (sp?) shave ice. It was sooo good. I was amazed by the Pipeline and how big the waves got out there.

We watched the New Years Eve fireworks on the beach in front of our hotel, hiked up Diamond Head, and of course we did Pearl Harbor. Since Pearl Harbor was closed on New Years Day, and we were supposed to fly out to Maui the next day, I had to call and push our flight back to 6:30 that night. My grandfather is a WWII vet and there is no way I could ever tell him that we "didn't make the time" for Pearl Harbor.:sad2: Plus, I've always wanted to see Pearl Harbor. It was one of the most defining moments in American history. We all agreed that it was worth losing a day in Maui just to visit the USS Arizona and tour Pearl Harbor. I can't believe the oil still comes up all these years later. They told us it is often called the Tears of the Arizona.

We stayed at the Grand Wailea in Maui and let me just say WOW! They don't call it the Grand for nothing. The place was HUGE. It was beautiful and big and had a beach and pools to die for. Plus, it wasn't stuffy. the best thing about it....we got upgraded to Ocean front rooms.

Maui was great. We saw whales, took a helicopter ride around the island, layed on th beach, watched the sunset at Kimo's, and just hung out. I'm sure we did more but right now I just can't remember.

My mother and I took a day trip to the big island. The other three wanted to sleep in and hang out in Maui. I still can't believe they missed that day.:confused3 We took a helicopter tour with Blue Hawaii again and flew over the volcanoe. That was really neat. Then we drove to Volcanoe National Park and saw it from another perspective. We also went to BJ Penn's (UFC fighter) training camp. I got to stand in the Octogon! OMGoodness! Anyways, it was one of my favorite days in Hawaii.

Hawaii, like everyone said, was amazing. It was unlike any place we had ever been. Most places we go with the exception of Disney, I feel like I have seen enough and usually don't care about going back. But Hawaii was different. I just couldn't get enough. I'm ready to go back! I really do hope Disney takes one of the ships there eventually. I would be totally up for that trip!!!!

Your trip sounds awesome!! How cool that you got to go to 3 islands. I've just been to Oahu and the Big Island. Maui, someday!! The helicopter tours sound awesome. WOW! I'd love to go back - but it looks like my "big vacations" this year and next are on DCL! LOL.

Disney I would think will move the Magic to the West Coast permanently when the new ships arrive. They could do Alaska in the summer, Mexico in the winter, and besides Hawaii they could also do some land/sea packages with DL. :wizard: I am not sure if the new ships will be able to traverse the Panama Canal until the Canal expansion is finished, they might be too big. Hawaii would be a great destination for DCL- except that they would only be able to leave from the West Coast and will have to either stop in Mexico or Fanning Island, as US law requires foreign flagged ships to have a foreign port of call between US ports. NCL made a separate company, NCL America, and got a federal waiver to allow them their inter island cruises. They also have to have an all American crew - which means US labor laws. From what I hear NCLA is a money losing company, primarily due to the wages. My inlaws went on that cruise and LOVED it. But Disney isn't about to enter into having to pay US wages to its crew. I would think they might do a few "special itinerary" runs between LA and HI, but can't make it a regular thing. Besides, those limited itinerary runs seem to be very profitable for them! :rotfl:

I'm all for Hawaii being a "special itinerary" cruise. That would make it even greater. We met a nice couple who was on the NCL cruise and they were having a fantastic time. DH and I talked about maybe doing that, but we would really like to do one with Disney. So we'll see but I can definitely see us going back in the next few years. I just wish we were closer.

The plane rides just about got us. On the way back we got rerouted to Dulles because our flight crew did not show up in San Francisco. Our bags went to Denver. It was 2 days before we got them back, but thankfully they all arrived back in Huntsville safe and sound. Like I said, a few glitches on United's part but they made it up to us. After calling the Mileage Plus number and speaking to a Customer Service rep, we each were awarded 500 a piece in ticket vouchers. Since there were 5 of us, that equaled out to a total of 2500 we could use for tickets in the next year. So now, I have to plan a trip somewhere, right??? :)

I'm glad to be back and glad everyone is doing well. Now that the calender says 2008, I feel like the Disney cruise is even closer!

The plane rides just about got us. On the way back we got rerouted to Dulles because our flight crew did not show up in San Francisco. Our bags went to Denver. It was 2 days before we got them back, but thankfully they all arrived back in Huntsville safe and sound. Like I said, a few glitches on United's part but they made it up to us. After calling the Mileage Plus number and speaking to a Customer Service rep, we each were awarded 500 a piece in ticket vouchers. Since there were 5 of us, that equaled out to a total of 2500 we could use for tickets in the next year. So now, I have to plan a trip somewhere, right??? :)
QUOTE]

NICE!! 500 apiece? Good deal. I'm glad they made it right. Too bad you had such a hassle getting back. Lucky you got the bags back! My parents' bags got lost on Southwest last summer. They got them back - but missing the digtal camera and the portable printer for the camera that were in there. NICE stealing, airline employees... sigh. The only plus was that my dad had the memory stick in his laptop, so they didn't lose the pictures of their trip! Since then I carry the camera with me and the memory stick in my purse.

Christine

Hi, just found this thread. We will be on this cruise also. :banana: It will be my DH, my daughter, DGD who will turn 12 the day after we get off the cruise, my DGS who will turn 11 two months later, and myself. We booked this cruise the day it came out, while on the Western Dec. 1-8 cruise. My daughter was able to get SPR 5520 and I was able to get SNV 7120.
My Dh and I are going to Hawaii the end of Feb. We just got our flights last night. We will be staying in our time share on the Big Island, and can't wait to go!! Any advice on what to do or not to miss would be greatly appreciated. I have always wanted to go to HI and can't believe I am finally going. Anyway, glad that I found this thread, maybe we could plan a meet while on this cruise.
Vickie

Welcome Vickie!! Did you enjoy your Western cruise? How fun!! Glad you joined- my DD will be 11 (almost 12) at cruise time so she'll be just about the same age as your DGD. When it gets closer to cruise time maybe they can exchange emails so they have a friend when they board. I must say I got scared when you said your DD got 5520- since that's what I booked! We're friendly sorts, but it would definitely be a bit crowded in there and my dh snores! :rotfl: So I checked my ressie on DCL and my booking receipt, and yep I've got 5520- so your DD must be next door in 5522! Have her check and make sure they haven't somehow double booked it. Can that happen?

Do you have any other cruise or WDW plans in the future before our cruise?

Christine

Christine,
I did the same thing when I read your post I went and checked our reservations and yes Tanya is in 5522. Then when I posted I typed your room number anyway. :confused3 I think it would be great if the kids could email each other. They did that on another cruise a couple of years ago and they loved it. They felt like they had friends onboard before they went. Sorry about the number mix up. I work with numbers all day long you would think I know the differnce between a 0 and a 2. :laughing:
Take care,
Vickie

Christine,
I did the same thing when I read your post I went and checked our reservations and yes Tanya is in 5522. Then when I posted I typed your room number anyway. :confused3 I think it would be great if the kids could email each other. They did that on another cruise a couple of years ago and they loved it. They felt like they had friends onboard before they went. Sorry about the number mix up. I work with numbers all day long you would think I know the differnce between a 0 and a 2. :laughing:
Take care,
Vickie

LOL!! No worries... my first thought was, "they gave away my room! Oh no!:scared1: " Then I thought, "Or, I have really screwed up and imagined that I got a SPH but really it's some cat 11...":lmao:

It feels fun to already know who'll be next door!

Christine,
Well, hopefully the kids won't forget that grammy is not next door on this trip and keep trying to get into your room. :lmao: They have never cruised without us having adjoining rooms, until this last cruise, when we were right next door to each other. Anyway, since you will be neighbors, allow me introduce them. There is my DD Tanya, my DGD Sara who will turn 12 the day after we get off the ship, and my DGS Ian who will be just 8 weeks shy of 11.

Vickie

Hi Vickie! :) Glad you joined us. I bet your excited about your upcoming trip to Hawaii. We only spent one day on the Big Island so I really can't help you out too much. That one day was fabulous though. When we go back, I want to spend at least 4 or 5 days on the Big Island. One thing I would suggest if at all possible. Go for a helicopter ride over the volcanoe. Then drive and visit the park. You will be able to see lava and get a whole different perspective of the volcanoe from the helicopter. We used Blue Hawaiian helicopter. They have an excellent safety record and are highly regarded. If you book online you get a discount. Check them out. There are some OP's on here that have been to Hawaii a couple of times so I'm sure they will be able to help you out. Like I said, welcome to our thread. I can't wait to get to know you and your family better!
Bridget

We found out that a one of our cruisemates from the PC crossing is cruising on the 10/10 eastern, and as we haven't gotten together since then, we've switched our reservation to then. DD is happy because we'll be celebrating her birthday onboard - a new experience! The same itinerary, same category cabin is $350 less for the October date. I hope you all have a great cruise :hug:

We found out that a one of our cruisemates from the PC crossing is cruising on the 10/10 eastern, and as we haven't gotten together since then, we've switched our reservation to then. DD is happy because we'll be celebrating her birthday onboard - a new experience! The same itinerary, same category cabin is $350 less for the October date. I hope you all have a great cruise :hug:

Good deal! Have fun on the new cruise date, and since you'll cruise first, let us know any great tips when you get back!

Christine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter