Not sure I'm getting why FP+ is "limiting" peoples experience.

How is Disney making more or less money if little Jimmy rides Toy Story 1x or 50x?

People are complaining FastPass+ will mean they spend more time in line, if this were true, it would hurt Disney's pocketbook because guests standing in line aren't spending money on food and souvenirs.

Personally, FastPass+ is tailor made for the type of touring my wife and I do. We are usually at one park for rope drop, we ride all the head liners, have lunch, then head to the room for a mid day break, we then head out for dinner, and finish the day off with a different park.

So for our trip in Feb, we mostly chose FastPass+s for the 2nd park. We almost never need FastPass for the parks we make it to rope drop for.

But we are OK with only riding our favs once or twice a trip, and we are diligent about making it to rope drop.

They aren't making more/less directly because someone rides something more/less. The theory behind FP+ is giving people the 3 guaranteed FP before they arrive will make them less likely to plan non-Disney days and even less likely to go to non-Disney attractions on a whim because they already have rides booked at Disney. The limit/tiering exist because of a lack of FP+ capacity if they allowed everyone to book whatever they wanted to.

That's the reason behind all this. It isn't because someone at Disney decided it wasn't right that Bobby's family got 2 TSMM FPs while Jimmy's family waited in a 60 minute line for it.

You know what's really not fair?

The people who do rope drop don't get to eat leisurely buffet breakfasts in the mornings. I think I'm going to stomp my feet and complain that it's not fair until Disney provides breakfast at the turnstiles to make things equal. And I bet if they do decide to provide breakfast at the turnstiles it will because they want everything to be fair, not because it makes them more money :rolleyes1

The people who do rope drop don't get to eat leisurely buffet breakfasts in the mornings. I think I'm going to stomp my feet and complain that it's not fair until Disney provides breakfast at the turnstiles to make things equal. And I bet if they do decide to provide breakfast at the turnstiles it will because they want everything to be fair, not because it makes them more money :rolleyes1

When I do rope drop I'm usually too tired to last through the fireworks. I sure hope they are willing to reschedule them for me. ;) It needs to be fair you know.

When I do rope drop I'm usually too tired to last through the fireworks. I sure hope they are willing to reschedule them for me. ;) It needs to be fair you know.

Rope drop needs to be moved to 11 am. This would make it fair for everyone. Those who are losing sleep and missing breakfast can now sleep in and eat. And those who have been missing out on FPs because they slept in and had breakfast will still have FP available when they arrive. Problem solved! ;)

Rope drop needs to be moved to 11 am. This would make it fair for everyone. Those who are losing sleep and missing breakfast can now sleep in and eat. And those who have been missing out on FPs because they slept in and had breakfast will still have FP available when they arrive. Problem solved! ;)
Negative... Last thing I want to do is start my disney day at 11 am in the heat. No thank you

Disney wants their cake and they want to eat it too (otherwise known as greed).

They want to charge an all-access ticket price, yet overcrowd the place to the point that you are eating fart (HT to Juanolas) and "upsell" (their words) for as many things as they can. Can't have it both ways. If they want to ration rides, and charge for soaking up the atmosphere, then lower the ticket prices, make Epcot a mall and charge per ride. Fine.

But they can't expect people not to get ticked when they are charging the ticket prices that they are charging yet rationing out rides and trying to charge extra for everything that they possibly can.

Even character meals...priced through the roof for crud food but parents line up like crazy for them because it gets you out of a few hellish meet and greet lines. And parties...so you get kicked out of the park halfway through the day unless you want to pay for a party? Think about that! How about running a Christmas and Halloween parade on regular nights around those holidays? Big deal. But no, then they couldn't charge their exorbitant ticket prices for the parties. It's like they are so greedy they just don't know when to stop.

They would have made it an all-inclusive by now if they could. It would be a lot easier for them. But they can't. As much as they want to dump on offsite, whether local or tourists, they need those customers too.

So they push and push and push on price and "upselling" and maybe it will backfire on them, maybe it won't.

The sad thing is if they actually tried to make "magic" again...they would find their investment would come back to them tenfold. People are so hungry for beautiful things and magical moments...that's why people keep going there, even though it is so expensive, because there is still something there. But building magical places and things take time and money and don't give quick returns for bonuses and dividends. Cutting budgets and building DVC does.

Thank you for this post, ArwenMarie. It eloquently sums up my thoughts, as well. I feel like we get squeezed more and more every year at WDW for money and it is a turn off.

Also, does your family now use Juanolas shorthand speak as mine does? I went to exchange a Christmas gift at the mall this week and my husband asked how it went. I said, "Not good. I had to totally eat fart. I'm just going to finish up there next week when it's less crowded." He nodded in understanding. I think a stranger overhearing our conversation would have thought I was nutty!

Negative... Last thing I want to do is start my disney day at 11 am in the heat. No thank you

My suggestion was 100% satire. ;)

I can't imagine paying for a Club Med experience if Club Med is filling up all their standing room only space selling tickets at the door. Not only that, but flying in South American tour groups, cheerleader camps, and business conventions to be certain I'm constantly crowded in.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're saying, but what I meant is I like a club med experience, but Disney isn't even close to it. It's a *version* that the other poster (sorry, can't remember who) was comparing it to--which I believe us a fail.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

They aren't making more/less directly because someone rides something more/less. The theory behind FP+ is giving people the 3 guaranteed FP before they arrive will make them less likely to plan non-Disney days and even less likely to go to non-Disney attractions on a whim because they already have rides booked at Disney. The limit/tiering exist because of a lack of FP+ capacity if they allowed everyone to book whatever they wanted to.

That's the reason behind all this. It isn't because someone at Disney decided it wasn't right that Bobby's family got 2 TSMM FPs while Jimmy's family waited in a 60 minute line for it.

I can't help it if Jimmy was born into a family of layabout slackers. The old FP was fair and free. Get to the park, pull FP or don't. DH and I pulled lots of FP, but we weren't swordfighting anyone to keep them from doing the same.

WDW's theory that FP+ would keep people at the parks backfired as far as we're concerned, because we cancelled a trip we had already paid off. It just isn't worth the money anymore, given all the changes.

In all of these discussions, I keep thinking of the adage "If everyone is special than no was is". Everyone in the park can not skip all of the lines all of the time. The system breaks down. These system are build on making one group of people wait in line a "little bit long" so someone else can save a large amount of time in line. The question is what group get's to wait and what group get's to skip the line. Disney is the only theme park chain that is attempting to let everyone who buys a ticket be in the group that skips the link some of the time.

People on this thread discussed how wonderful Universal's Express Pass system is. But, just buying a general admission ticket to the park doesn't let you use the Express Pass line at all. All of the benefit is reserved for people who are "special". You need to either stay at one of their Deluxe onsite hotels, or buy a separate Express Pass. If everyone in the park had unlimited access to the Express Pass line the same as onsite hotel guests, There would be an express line anymore. There would be 2 standby lines.

Likewise, when people say what can't everyone else do what I did under FP- and not stand in long lines like I do. If everyone arrived at RD, there would be lines beginning at RD, if everyone stayed until 1am there would be long lines at 1am. If everyone rushes and pulls FP for a given ride, they run out quickly.

As far as why people don't pull as many FP as other guest do. My guess is the 2 biggest reason are:

1) lack of knowledge of the system. We've talked about them all. They think it costs like it does at every other theme park. They don't understand the timing on pulling the next FP.

2) People not wanting to crisscross the park. Not every party has the ability to crisscross the park or sending a FP runner all over the park to collect FP's. If you're a single parent looking at an hour long standby line for Soarin' or a FP return time 7 hours later, you may bite the bullet and just ride standby because 7 hours later you're hoping to be in the back to WS and need to get walk all the way back to the front of the park, Ride soarin' then go pack to WS to finish up touring.

FP+ takes care of the second one. You can make all your FP reservations at the same time. If you can take care of the first one, suddenly you have a much greater strain on the FP system. I believe the current limitation on the system are somewhat in reaction, and somewhat in anticipation of that strain. Once everyone is on FP+ I'm sure they'll be evaluating usage to determine if they are able to increase the number of FP's, allow park hopping, loosen up on some of the tiering, sell/give away additional FP's to certain groups etc.

1- Everyone in the park can not skip all of the lines all of the time. The system breaks down.

2- These system are build on making one group of people wait in line a "little bit long" so someone else can save a large amount of time in line.

3- If everyone arrived at RD, there would be lines beginning at RD, if everyone stayed until 1am there would be long lines at 1am.

4- If everyone rushes and pulls FP for a given ride, they run out quickly.

1- That is not completely true.
There IS a way to not stand in long lines.

If ALL guests strictly pre-scheduled, in advance, an exact boarding appointment for each attraction,
guests could be doing something else while they awaited their boarding time.
This is exactly what they have done with one of the 3 methods of boarding Dumbo.

2- If the above Dumbo situation were extrapolated to all rides and all guests
the standby lines could be eliminated.

BUT-
In REALITY, it is simply not practical for all guests to arrive at their "scheduled time" for each attraction.
There would be many reasons why they could be late.
(Slow transportation, slow meal service, ride breakdowns, rest (and restroom) breaks, etc.

3- That situation is 100% self-regulating, due to human nature.

4- We have plenty of evidence to show that is true.

Reading through this thread saddens me as it has others. Even more so as a Disney stock holder. Our Disney days are likely over, FP+ will not work for our family. Our annual visits in late Jan used to be filled with riding the rides-even if that meant Space Mountain or Everest multiple times each day. We park hopped, rarely had dining reservations (have never used DDP), and decided spontaneously what we wanted to do next. We were dedicated legacy FP users, always following the rules and returning during the window, but still using multiple FP each day. We always stayed at the Poly and enjoyed the five or six days we could get there each winter as a short break from stressful jobs and school. FP+ is too much stress and planning. Vacation ceases being fun for us when it involves spreadsheets, strategy sessions, and endless reservations. We would never be able to have the same level of fun as we have in past visits if We spend it waiting in one line after another. Three kids and two parents are never going to agree 60 days in advance what one E-ticket ride to use our limited FP+ reservations for, especially not when not everyone in our group will ride ToTT or RNRR. Everyone has their favorites they want to go on and FP+ will not work in that instance. We were lucky enough as a family to have visited WDW in earlier years and experienced much magic and wonderful memories. I think now it is best for the time being to leave it at that. We will not be going back anytime soon as I know it would be a stressful and much less magical experience for us.

Reading through this thread saddens me as it has others. Even more so as a Disney stock holder. Our Disney days are likely over, FP+ will not work for our family. Our annual visits in late Jan used to be filled with riding the rides-even if that meant Space Mountain or Everest multiple times each day. We park hopped, rarely had dining reservations (have never used DDP), and decided spontaneously what we wanted to do next. We were dedicated legacy FP users, always following the rules and returning during the window, but still using multiple FP each day. We always stayed at the Poly and enjoyed the five or six days we could get there each winter as a short break from stressful jobs and school. FP+ is too much stress and planning. Vacation ceases being fun for us when it involves spreadsheets, strategy sessions, and endless reservations. We would never be able to have the same level of fun as we have in past visits if We spend it waiting in one line after another. Three kids and two parents are never going to agree 60 days in advance what one E-ticket ride to use our limited FP+ reservations for, especially not when not everyone in our group will ride ToTT or RNRR. Everyone has their favorites they want to go on and FP+ will not work in that instance. We were lucky enough as a family to have visited WDW in earlier years and experienced much magic and wonderful memories. I think now it is best for the time being to leave it at that. We will not be going back anytime soon as I know it would be a stressful and much less magical experience for us.

I think you need to recognize that this is also the Internet. Things on the Net often need to be taken with a grain of salt. Unless you use the system and find it unsatisfactory, reconsider changing your view of WDW just based on comments posted on threads like this.

I also encourage you to read my view of things here:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/11/06/disneys-magicbands-the-hype-the-hysteria-you/

I can't help it if Jimmy was born into a family of layabout slackers.

Ugh. Can we please get rid of the assumption that because I'm Jimmy's mom and I don't like getting up early that I am a slacker???!!! LOL Just because I don't rise before the sun, does not make me a slacker or lazy or whatever other synonym you'd like to use.

Thank you! :)

I think you need to recognize that this is also the Internet. Things on the Net often need to be taken with a grain of salt. Unless you use the system and find it unsatisfactory, reconsider changing your view of WDW just based on comments posted here.
I don't know about that. People can know how much planning they wish to do. I see people unhappy about having to make ADR's so I could see that having to preplan FP+ might just seem overwhelming.

I think you need to recognize that this is also the Internet. Things on the Net often need to be taken with a grain of salt. Unless you use the system and find it unsatisfactory, reconsider changing your view of WDW just based on comments posted on threads like this.

I also encourage you to read my view of things here:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/11/06/disneys-magicbands-the-hype-the-hysteria-you/

This isn't just the "internet" its pretty easy to read up on the system and its elements and determine that you don't like the new system. No need to spend thousands of dollars to "try" something you can find out the elements of just by reading.

facebook twitter