Not sure I'm getting why FP+ is "limiting" peoples experience.

disneyerin

DIS Veteran
Help me out here because I may be missing something....

So many posts are complaining about how the new FP+ system is changing their experience of WDW, and that it feels limiting. But......can't you just not use the system? Or make your fast passes just incase, but not be married to them? We spent the whole day at MK and never used ours because we chose to just be spontaneous and do what we felt like doing at the time; exactly what we had used to do for years before this "nasty" new system took over.

So exactly what kind of magic did we lose by having magic band and fast passes (to use if we wanted to) but simply doing things on our own schedule? We used all our fast passes in the other parks and it worked great. But we used them because it added to the magic. How did this limit us? I guess I don't get it... We were able to be spontaneous because the crowds and lines were manageable, but even if they weren't, it wouldn't be the new fast pass system that was limiting us.

What IS limiting is this: growing crowds, longer wait times, and lack of "favorite rides" all which take away the option of being spontaneous for many visitors. When I stop for 3 seconds and really think about the lack of high quality rides (either new rides, or some variations with the old ones) in the parks I'm stunned. It's inexcusable with the resources Disney has. If Epcot had 6 rides as wonderful and fun as Soar'n and Test Track would the lines be as long? How may "TSM"s can you find at HS?

Obviously I'm not a business person who understands just what an undertaking this would be for Disney......perhaps it is impossible for any amusement park to keep up with a high demand of services....

But, it's not the new fast pass system. The fast pass system simply gives everyone another choice, but no one is making anyone use it. It's what is happening in the parks thats creating the frustration. The lines are getting out of hand. And more people are visiting the parks without the parks expanding in a timely manner to add quality rides. And the more this happens, the more we are going to feel dependent on (and desperate to be part of) any system that offers to save us time.

If it's limiting to you, don't use it. How many trips have people taken since the parks opened without fast pass? Would they look back now and say their experience was less magical without them?

I really doubt it. pixiedust:

Help me out here because I may be missing something....

So many posts are complaining about how the new FP+ system is changing their experience of WDW, and that it feels limiting. But......can't you just not use the system? Or make your fast passes just incase, but not be married to them? We spent the whole day at MK and never used ours because we chose to just be spontaneous and do what we felt like doing at the time; exactly what we had used to do for years before this "nasty" new system took over.

So exactly what kind of magic did we lose by having magic band and fast passes (to use if we wanted to) but simply doing things on our own schedule? We used all our fast passes in the other parks and it worked great. But we used them because it added to the magic. How did this limit us? I guess I don't get it...

What IS limiting is this: growing crowds, longer wait times, and lack of "favorite rides". When I stop for 3 seconds and really think about the lack of high quality rides in the parks I'm stunned. It's inexcusable with the resources Disney has. If Epcot had 6 rides as wonderful and fun as Soar'n and Test Track would the lines be as long? How may "TSM"s can you find at HS?

Obviously I'm not a business person who understands just what an undertaking this would be for Disney......perhaps it is impossible for any amusement park to catch up with a high demand of services....

But, it's not the new fast pass system. The fast pass system simply gives everyone another choice, but no one is making anyone use it. It's what is happening in the parks thats creating the frustration. The lines are getting out of hand. And more people are visiting the parks without the parks expanding in a timely manner to add quality rides. And the more this happens, the more we are going to feel dependent on (and desperate to be part of) any system that offers to save us time.

If it's limiting to you, don't use it. How many trips have people taken since the parks opened without fast pass? Would they look back now and say their experience was less magical without them?

I really doubt it. pixiedust:

Well.....you can only use three per day and at Epcot and HS the rides you choose are tiered. That's pretty limiting to people who are used to using several more fp's per day don't you think?

The problem with "not using the system" is that at least during peak the stand by lines will be really long and I feel a lot of people agree that the least magic happens when you're stuck in a long line.

If Disney was keeping FP- around then I'd be a little bit more okay with FP+, sure there would be less paper passes around but you'd still have a bit more freedom and control of how you want to explore Disney World. However, as seen with Animal Kingdom, Disney is pulling the paper FP system eventually which gives you 3 FPs with a mandatory 3 different rides in one park per day, a definite downgrade to people who usually pull 6+ FP in a day.

I can't speak for the people who went before FP, but the most magic I ever had at Disney World was when my mother and I rode Tower of Terror 50+ times in a 5 day trip (During late July, so it was peak!). I would have never done this without the paper Fastpass system and we NEVER "double dipped" (though to be honest sometimes CMs would give us a rider swap or let us re use a fastpass because they recognized us, but that only happened a handful of times). Now most people wouldn't want to do something like that, and I probably won't ever again but call me sentimental, it makes me really really sad that FP+ has taken away that option from me unless I go during an off season.

Another magical moment was when I was 12. I got us on 17 different rides (and even more repeats) rides at DL on Thanksgiving Day and a sit down dinner by just being clever with the FP system (and I'm not a double dipper- I swear!) I was very proud of myself! :)

Well.....you can only use three per day and at Epcot and HS the rides you choose are tiered. That's pretty limiting to people who are used to using several more fp's per day don't you think?

But you just made my point. We feel limited because it's something we feel we are owed and they won't give it to us. Did (we older folks) feel limited before fast pass was even introduced? Even when it was crazy crowded? Nope :)

We feel limited now because we have bought into the belief that fast pass plusses are absolutely necessary now to have a good time at WDW, and that Disney had promised us a certain amount of guaranteed fun only to take some of it back. That feels unfair and limiting, I agree.

But that's simply a business decision they made.... and who on earth knows why..... :confused3
Frankly, I think all their decisions around the amount of fast passes we get are screwed up. :sad2: But if we go into this thinking that someone has taken something away from us, and that we aren't being treated fairly, then WE will be creating a less magical time for ourselves.

i agree with you regarding the amount of attractions that really capture the crowds being not enough. that is exactly why the tiered FP+ at epcot is so frustrating: the only two attractions that you really need a FP for are in the top tier, so you are relegated to the long standby lines at the one you don't choose (unless you go at RD or pick a light day). for someone who is used to a FP-style of touring, this is very limiting. they don't have any other options.

i think this is best seen at disneyland/DCA. both parks have an adequate amount of e-ticket rides to spread the interest (the exception being RSR). we waited 30 minutes for two rides: soarin and star tours. we got FP for space mountain (because it had been closed all day and as soon as it opened up the line was 45+). RSR we did single rider and waited 15. the only longer wait we had was dinner at blue bayou, because we didn't have a reservation.

i've never really used FPs at WDW other than for soarin, so FP+ does not bother me as much. i'm guessing that what will bother me as a non-FP'er is seeing the overflow of people who were FP'ers into the standby lines, which is (i'm guessing) why there have been so many complaints about the standby lines increasing. maybe this is something that will work itself out over time.

i am not excited for avatarland, but i think that is disney's current answer to the problem in my first paragraph: trying to build a land akin to what carsland is for DCA without making a carbon-copy to increase attraction at the least busy park.

But you just made my point. We feel limited because it's something we feel we are owed and they won't give it to us. Did (we older folks) feel limited before fast pass was even introduced? Even when it was crazy crowded? Nope :)

My first trip to DW was in 1976. My parents took us kids to MK two times per year until 1980. We went over the Christmas holidays and during the March break. I hated it! All I remember was standing in lines all day and having to choose which "E" ticket to use. I felt limited back then.

My first trip back to DW as an adult with my own kids was in 2010. We loved FP! We got to the parks early and used several fp's per day. We didn't wait in lines because we didn't have to. Very freeing!

Now with the rules surrounding FP+, it seems like we are being forced back into the lines I remember. I don't feel as if FP is owed to me, it's just not going to be as magical for me, because I hate lines!

And the argument of, well you don't have to use FP+ doesn't make sense. Of course you should. That's three less lines to stand in. The sad part is that lines are being created at attractions that would never see lines because of tiering.

It's limiting to my husband and I when we talk about the tiering and DHS. My husband and I cannot handle thrill rides with the big drops, etc. At DHS, we only used to pull FPs for TSMM. We would get a FP, get in line, and grab at least one more FP for later in the day. That's three times. Now, for our upcoming trip, I was only able to pull one FP for TSMM and then the others were for attractions that we would never in feel the need for a FP: Muppet Vision 4D. A video. Really? Also, the sheer concentration of attractions at the MK should mean at least one more FP+ available, but we're still limited to three.

I will say that we are using most of FP's for the upcoming trip later in the day. We are rope drop people and usually go back to the resort after lunch so we may not be doing that as much this trip.

The problem with "not using the system" is that at least during peak the stand by lines will be really long and I feel a lot of people agree that the least magic happens when you're stuck in a long line.

This is exactly our issue with it - we're not rope drop people and after 30 years of annual trips staying on-site we are retired now and stay off-site with AP's. Even on some slow days FP's for TSMM have been gone by 9:30. Now if they open FP's in advance for AP holders we'll be in business again. :)

Disney created the monster by offering Original Recipe FP in all its glory in the first place. They GAVE people, for free, this wonderful product, for 14 years...and now for them (or anyone else) to act shocked that people are disappointed and feel limited by taking it away and replacing it with the new system is kind of ridiculous.

Now, perhaps, in the end, the new system will be better than the old. But the snail's=pace roll-out and the ever changing rules make it really hard to know if that will be the case. So we continue to wait and hope. As it stands, RIGHT NOW...yeah, the tiers, the 1 park per day, and the LIMIT of 3 are all limiting.

Maybe tomorrow will be different.

The system really hurts those who were heavily FP dependent prior to the change.

If you went to the parks during low crowd seasons, arrived at or prior to rope drop, made plans and ADRs well in advance, FP+ will be great for you. If not, well, you'll be on message boards complaining for months until you either accept it and make the best of it or go somewhere else.

You have to remember that disboard members tend to be power gamers who will run back and forth using 12 FPs in a day. Many of them feel that they are being robbed by only getting three. There are millions of people who don't know the first thing about fastpasses and wouldn't walk back and forth all day if they did. Fp+ is Disney's attempt to get them on-board, but you aren't going to hear from them around here because they don't spend their time online figuring out how to max out their Disney time. As a pretty relaxed traveler, I like fp+, but I go in Jan or Sept so I don't have to deal with lines like the July vacationers do, so there you go.

Disney created the monster by offering Original Recipe FP in all its glory in the first place. They GAVE people, for free, this wonderful product, for 14 years...and now for them (or anyone else) to act shocked that people are disappointed and feel limited by taking it away and replacing it with the new system is kind of ridiculous.

Rush Lumbaugh, nor anyone in the tea party, couldn't have said it better.

You have to remember that disboard members tend to be power gamers who will run back and forth using 12 FPs in a day. Many of them feel that they are being robbed by only getting three.

This. We'll be there in 4 days. I'm thinking we will be standing in a lot more lines, so we'll see how it goes. We saved all our fp+ for our evening park, so we will be having some fun nights. The plan is to get everywhere by rd, but not always easy with 3 big kids who like their sleep. Our strategy in the past was to always have a fp going.

A lot of this is why I now find the US/IoA experience far superior to WDW. You stay on site there, you get the express pass included. You save hours of time, just as a bonus of staying on site in a lovely hotel, for half of the cost of a Disney Deluxe. If you don't stay on site, you pay $50-$125 a day for the privilege. I actually don't think that is unreasonable. At least it gives everyone a fighting chance, if you are willing to fork over the dough.

I realize the same system would never work at WDW due to the sheer number of rooms on property, BUT, (and I realize I'm in the flaming minority), I'd pay $100 a day extra to have an every ride fastpass, able to use all day long. I'd do it in a heartbeat, with a smile on my face. I think standing in more than two 120 minute queues per day may make a lot of people run to guest services to upgrade to never do that again, if given the choice. Especially 1st timers. I'd MUCH rather have a pay system, with more ride availability, than this tiered system with limited selection.

We already doll out $5-7000 total for a Disney vacation, an extra $500 for fastpass privileges is nothing, really.

And, like the OP says, no one would HAVE to use it. ;)

We're getting there on Sunday and don't anticipate any problems. With crowds at a 2-3 the only lines should be Enchanted Tales, Soarin, TT (when it breaks down) and TSMM. We were in on the Sept test with comparable crowds and didn't really need any FPs.

I do find it limiting. It's NOT that I feel "owed," but Disney gave something and then they took it away--limiting my experience. I have been going since 1976. I remember standing in long line after long line. Not enjoyable. Back then, there was only MK. It took us 3 days to do everything because of those lines. Other days, we were at Cypress Gardens, Busch gardens, Sea World, orange picking, and various other things that rotated year to year. One year we watched the space shuttle launch. Those other days were very exciting for us--less lines. And guess what? Less crowds than now too. Yes, I feel limited.

I will be standing in longer lines because we never got in a line more than 20 minutes, although there is not enough money to pay me to go at Christmas, New Years, Fourth of July or Easter. We do, however go spring break or Thanksgiving. Limited.

I will need to choose between attractions such as TSMM or RNRC. Or I need to choose between TT or Soarin. Limited.

I now can only get FP in one park. Limited.

I now can only get 3 per day. While we were not 12 per day people, while we never raced around the parks collecting FP, we did often use 5-7 FP per day. Which meant each person could get on *their* favorite once (bigger family). Limited.

I am now not allowed to repeat a FP ride. Meaning if we wanted to go back for a second time through the day, we can't without a long line. Or, if one kid got brave and tried something new and loved it, came off and told another chicken kid it isn't bad, try it, we logistically can't. Limited.

Because I have to choose 60 days out, and my changes are limited to what is available, and I'm having issues moving things around for our January slow season (the rides I want at the times I want), I don't have much faith of "on the fly" changes. Limited.

Because we alternate onsite with offsite trips and offsite, at this time (and I truly see this as a 90% likely not to change feature), can only choose day of. As above, not much faith I could grab TSMM same day. Limited. FYI, we were never rope drop people and always got a FP for TSMM.

I now feel like will have to wake up early for rope drop to come close to our current touring style. Meaning, I will now have cranky kids because they aren't well rested. Our days will probably end sooner, so no night time parade, F!, fireworks, etc. Limited.

And guess what? Each year I pay more. And more. And more. Do you remember prices for both hotel and tickets just 10 years ago? When an AP broke even at day 8, at that much lower cost? When a room at the Poly then wasn't much more than a room at a value resort now?

Nope. I am not required to go to Disney. I have almost every year of my life since 1976, sometimes multiple times a year. Our trips since the 90s have been 10 days long each, on average. A couple shorter, a few longer. I get less and less for more and more money. The value has been limited. Or lessened. Or both. I vote for both. I'm locked into this January trip and have been since last May with it being prepaid and non-refundable. I currently have a ressie for thanksgiving 2014 that I'm considering (a) keeping as is, (b) canceling out right, or (c) adjusting to 4 onsite days (3 nights) and moving offsite to do other central Florida activities.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Problem with that logic is that all other things are not equal. Costs to go to Disney have skyrocketed. We now are getting far less for more $'s. In the mid 1980's I took my family to Disneyland numerous times. A park ticket was $25-$30. Just 3-4 years ago an AP to DLR was $200. They are now nearly $700. As costs escalated FP's were created. It allowed us to still go and enjoy the park and see and do what we wanted with little trouble. Today the costs have risen further and we get less. Thats my trouble with it!

I do find it limiting. It's NOT that I feel "owed," but Disney gave something and then they took it away--limiting my experience. I have been going since 1976. I remember standing in long line after long line. Not enjoyable. Back then, there was only MK. It took us 3 days to do everything because of those lines. Other days, we were at Cypress Gardens, Busch gardens, Sea World, orange picking, and various other things that rotated year to year. One year we watched the space shuttle launch. Those other days were very exciting for us--less lines. And guess what? Less crowds than now too. Yes, I feel limited.

I will be standing in longer lines because we never got in a line more than 20 minutes, although there is not enough money to pay me to go at Christmas, New Years, Fourth of July or Easter. We do, however go spring break or Thanksgiving. Limited.

I will need to choose between attractions such as TSMM or RNRC. Or I need to choose between TT or Soarin. Limited.

I now can only get FP in one park. Limited.

I now can only get 3 per day. While we were not 12 per day people, while we never raced around the parks collecting FP, we did often use 5-7 FP per day. Which meant each person could get on *their* favorite once (bigger family). Limited.

I am now not allowed to repeat a FP ride. Meaning if we wanted to go back for a second time through the day, we can't without a long line. Or, if one kid got brave and tried something new and loved it, came off and told another chicken kid it isn't bad, try it, we logistically can't. Limited.

Because I have to choose 60 days out, and my changes are limited to what is available, and I'm having issues moving things around for our January slow season (the rides I want at the times I want), I don't have much faith of "on the fly" changes. Limited.

Because we alternate onsite with offsite trips and offsite, at this time (and I truly see this as a 90% likely not to change feature), can only choose day of. As above, not much faith I could grab TSMM same day. Limited. FYI, we were never rope drop people and always got a FP for TSMM.

I now feel like will have to wake up early for rope drop to come close to our current touring style. Meaning, I will now have cranky kids because they aren't well rested. Our days will probably end sooner, so no night time parade, F!, fireworks, etc. Limited.

And guess what? Each year I pay more. And more. And more. Do you remember prices for both hotel and tickets just 10 years ago? When an AP broke even at day 8, at that much lower cost? When a room at the Poly then wasn't much more than a room at a value resort now?

Nope. I am not required to go to Disney. I have almost every year of my life since 1976, sometimes multiple times a year. Our trips since the 90s have been 10 days long each, on average. A couple shorter, a few longer. I get less and less for more and more money. The value has been limited. Or lessened. Or both. I vote for both. I'm locked into this January trip and have been since last May with it being prepaid and non-refundable. I currently have a ressie for thanksgiving 2014 that I'm considering (a) keeping as is, (b) canceling out right, or (c) adjusting to 4 onsite days (3 nights) and moving offsite to do other central Florida activities.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Great post. So true!!!!!

Another limitation is that if you FP+ at one park, you can't use it if you hop to another park. We used to pull 3-4 at one park and hop to another park for the evening a pull a few more.