Not So New November Exercise Challenge

You've made it to Fort Wilderness Brown, kathleen27! Congrats! party:

The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review opened at Fort Wilderness in 1974. It was originally intended to temporarily fill some space and bring in some extra revenue. As such, it was cast with college interns from a summer program. By the end of the summer, though, the show had become so popular that Disney decided to keep it running and hired a permanent cast. You can read more about the history of Hoop Dee Doo here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/columns/hoop-dee-doo-history.cfm, and I found a short video of the original cast reuniting after 40 years:

Checking in quickly to record my minutes, but I'll have to stop by again later to update the totals.

90 minutes since last check in for a new total of 670/1200

Congratulations, tellemarie! You have made it to Contemporary Blue! :flower::flower::flower:And that means this is our last visit to the Contemporary.

And to say goodbye to the Contemporary, here's a bit of presidential trivia for you. It seems fitting given this is an election year. President Richard Nixon delivered his "I am not a crook" speech on November 17, 1973 from the Contemporary Resort's Ballroom of the Americas where he addressed 400 members of the Associated Press. He resigned as President just a few months later on August 9, 1974. Here is the speech he delivered in the Contemporary but a little jazzed up Disney style:

and here's the real footage:

We welcome two more members to Polynesian Orange. A big congrats to Tasha228 and LizardQueen8!

The Polynesian Village Resort grew from the tiki craze that started in 1934 with the opening of Hollywood's Don the Beachcomber and with Walt's own interest in Polynesia that also began in 1934 with a visit to Hawaii.

Here is a photo of the tikiman in the Great Ceremonial House of the Polynesian:

maui-tiki.jpg

Moving up to Fort Wilderness Brown is PollyannaMom, 2manypets, and our team! I think everyone deserves a big congrats for that milestone!

Here's a bit of fun fort history I found on wdwinfo's blog:

What were the antique trucks that used to sell groceries in Fort Wilderness in the 70’s? During the 1970s, Fort Wilderness guests did not have to go past the edge of their campsite for grocery supplies. Two FOT’s (Funny Old Trucks) traveled from site to site each morning and evening, selling fruits and vegetables, bakery goods, milk and the like from built-in racks and crates. One truck was made from parts of several other vehicles. The other was an actual antique: a 1928 Double A Ford. Guests knew the trucks were coming by the sounds of an old “ah-ooo-gah” car horn or a cowbell clanging just beyond the trees.

Here's a photo of one of the trucks that was posted on **********:

car583342SMALL.jpg

And I've made it to one of my favorite parks, Animal Kingdom Purple! I feel like I've been a slacker lately thanks to the cold weather that makes me want to curl up with a blanket, but here I am.

If anyone has an extra 40 something minutes to spare, here's a Wonderful World of Disney video giving a first look at the park when it opened in 1998:

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I LOVE it so far! It's bringing out all the happy feelings . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts