Not So New November Exercise Challenge

Hi, can you add me to the challenge for 900 minutes? Thanks! I love the old pictures from the 70's. My family first visited WDW in 1976 when I was in high school and there was only the Contemporary, the Polynesian, and the Magic Kingdom. We stayed off site, but attended the Luau one night. Space Mountain scared the daylights out of me and I didn't ride it again for over 20 years, haha.

Hello! Glad you're joining us. If you have any photos from your trip back then - especially the Luau - feel free to share with us. I think I'm going to have to try to find and purchase a pictorial history of WDW book because I'm really enjoying discovering how things have changed there over the years. I would love to see old trip photos from members of our group. I didn't go to WDW as a child, so I haven't seen the changes first hand.

Space Mountain scared the daylights out of me and I didn't ride it again for over 20 years, haha.

We visited in the late 1970s, when I was nine. My father (who was dying to ride) told me that Space Mountain wasn't a roller coaster because he knew I wouldn't set foot on it. It took something like 28 years before I rode it again! In contrast, my nine-year-old nephew LOVED it this past February.

One of the things I actually did love was 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

Tasha228, AuroraluvsPhillip, and scdak have reached Contemporary Blue! Hip, hip hooray! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I have another video for you today. This one shows a quick tour of how the Contemporary rooms were built. Plus, you get to step back in time and see more of that groovy 70s fashion (both clothing and interior design - does anyone remember what the orange color was called back then? I remember harvest gold and avocado, but the other popular color names have slipped my mind - I was but a wee child in the 70s). Anyway, congrats on your progress and enjoy the video!

Congrats to Sophy1996 for reaching Polynesian Orange! :yay::yay::yay:

Here is an early construction image of the Polynesian:

Imagineering-Disney_POLYNESIAN-Construction_1.jpg

and here is a link to an entire article from Imagineering Disney (which is where I found the above photo) with a lot more photos and construction history:

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2012/7/22/wdw-construction-polynesian-village-resort.html

And I've joined team Fort Wilderness Brown. :butterfly

In 1973 the Fort Wilderness Railroad opened. The steam powered train was entertaining as well as practical, providing a way for guests to travel around the huge resort. The train was only up and running for a few years due to technical issues. If you have any photos of stays that involved a trip on this train, please share! In the meantime here's an old photo and an article - both from Disney Parks Blog - for you to enjoy:

fwt103939SMALL.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...a-trip-down-memory-lane-at-walt-disney-world/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!