Not So New November Exercise Challenge

145 minutes

250/1200

I'll have to catch up on all the math tomorrow. I'm too tired to do so right now, but a quick glance tells me there are some color changes to look forward to. Way to go!

:jumping1: zimzim4, Fleur Delacour, me, and the team have all reached Contemporary Blue!

The original concept design for the Contemporary showed guests being able to walk directly to their resort from Tomorrowland. The resort was supposed to be called Tempo Bay. I personally prefer the Contemporary, but I suppose that could be just because I'm used to it! Here is a photo showing the Contemporary's proximity to Tomorrowland:

contemp1.png

party:A big congrats to Saphire5742 for being the first team member to reach Polynesian Orange!

The Polynesian opened along with the Contemporary in October of 1971. It was built in a similar fashion (prefab, assembly line) to the contemporary, but the rooms were stacked rather than slid in place. The Polynesian was one of 5 original ideas for WDW resorts: The Contemporary (or Tempo Bay), The Polynesian Village, The Asian, The Persian, and The Venetian. The Polynesian's original design concept called for a 12 story high rise. Here is an early postcard (that never made it to store shelves) showing that concept:

origpolyth.jpg

Last edited:

More color changes today! Congrats to PollyannaMom, Sophy1996, 2manypets, and LizardQueen8 for reaching Contemporary Blue!:flower1::flower1::flower1:

One of the most iconic features of the Contemporary Resort is the monorail driving right through the center of the hotel. I imagine it was quite a thrilling sight to see when the resort was new, and I know from personal experience it can still put a smile on one's face today. Here is a shot of the monorail and concourse from 1974:

5f361f6c.jpg

Last edited:
Somehow I've managed to make it to Polynesian Orange! :dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

This bit of research blew my mind so I have to share. According to a website called tikimanpages,

"Booking your stay was not only different but so was the price. Prices in 1971 were in 3 categories depending on floor, view and location. They were the same for the Contemporary and Polynesian. You would actually make reservations and check a box for which hotel was your first choice and which was your second choice. Then you would select the price category you wanted. The higher the price the better the view. They would put you in the next best room under that price at either resort. The prices were $29, $36 and $44."
reservationcard.jpg

Can you imagine scoring a room at either resort for those prices?!?!

Saphire5742 and Fleur Delacour are cruising right along to Fort Wilderness Brown! :cheer2::cheer2:

Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground opened on November 19, 1971 with 250 campsites. This resort was overseen by a Disneyland nature lover, Keith Kambak, who had no previous experience building campgrounds. The chief operations officer saw this lack of experience as a plus since he didn't want preconceived ideas to stifle the project. However, they did have Keith tour the country staying at campgrounds as preparation for this project (what a fun job that would be!). I have not yet determined if this poster was an original design or just a nod to the resort's earlier days, but it feels like it fits in to that time period so here's a nostalgic welcome to Fort Wilderness . . .

8736ee7c27ac9e78f7984acbdd7df6b5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, can you add me to the challenge for 900 minutes? Thanks! I love the old pictures from the 70's. My family first visited WDW in 1976 when I was in high school and there was only the Contemporary, the Polynesian, and the Magic Kingdom. We stayed off site, but attended the Luau one night. Space Mountain scared the daylights out of me and I didn't ride it again for over 20 years, haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter