• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Noro and travel. What can I do?

I think it’s ridiculous and extremely rude of this person to even still think about going on this trip and exposing everybody to the virus. Her being around everyone’s food and sharing a toilet is about the worse thing that she could do. Ugh! Sorry, but either she AND her husband stay home or I would which really isn’t fair.

There's no way the organizers, or whoever is running this "toilet" wants to expose the staff and the other paying guests to this. I would be making a call to whoever is in charge of this "toilet." Maybe even to ask for another toilet, something like that. This needs to be on their radar. It is their responsibility to keep their staff and guests safe.

I really want to, but I worry that's going too far. And there's no way to keep it anonymous so I'd rather tell her that I don't think she should go.

I'm shocked that she thinks she will be up for some thing so strenuous so soon.

Maybe she'll think differently tomorrow if she is still not up and about? IDK. This situation sucks and it's giving me anxiety. We'll keep our distance if she does go. If she gets into trouble on the trail then that's on her to figure it out. We aren't hiking together.

She does not know for sure it is norovirus. Her son had it, his father got it, and she got it. Her son was on visitation with his dad. He came home on day 3 and she got it within 12 hours. She believes it's norovirus given how contagious and sick they've all gotten.

So her son came home on day 3 of being sick & she caught it within 12 hours, but she thinks she’ll be fine on day 3 & NOT spread it to everyone else? That math is even crazier than Disney math.

I really want to, but I worry that's going too far. And there's no way to keep it anonymous so I'd rather tell her that I don't think she should go.

Maybe she'll think differently tomorrow if she is still not up and about? IDK. This situation sucks and it's giving me anxiety. We'll keep our distance if she does go. If she gets into trouble on the trail then that's on her to figure it out. We aren't hiking together.
Yeah, tell the organization. Otherwise you also jeopardize the health of the other hikers. They don't know, they won't keep their distance.

Other question: how well do you know this person? It doesn't sound like a close friend or colleague. Will you encounter this person ever again in your life?

If this is not someone close to you, why care so much about hurting her feelings?

Not to derail and somewhat still on topic, I agree on the juice. I just had major abdominal surgery and had to drink 100% no sugar added white grape juice the night before and morning of - they said studies show it promotes healing and helps with the anxiety.

Worth a try if you decide to go!
Just curious of why you abdominal surgeon let you drink grape juice on the morning of the surgery. I've had a ton of surgery and it's always been NPO after midnight and occasionally a sip of water with needed medications on day of.

I ask because I'm always interested in new strategies and if the grape juice one has been studied and vetted, then I'd like to hear more about it. Thanks.

I'd tell this person that you are going to ask the organizers for a separate toilet after consulting others. Then they can decide to actually get medically cleared (likely impossible) or make responsible choices.

I can't imagine going on a hiking vacation just 2.5 days after coming down with norovirus. We had norovirus spread through our entire family after a big retirement party for my aunt - I was "need to be near the bathroom" sick for a couple days and then my stomach wasn't back to normal for at least a week.

I don't blame you one bit for being concerned. I don't really have any advice, especially since the friend seems to be brushing off your concerns, but just want to say good luck getting it all figured out.

I'd tell this person that you are going to ask the organizers for a separate toilet after consulting others. Then they can decide to actually get medically cleared (likely impossible) or make responsible choices.

It’s a start, but this person would need separate everything. I don’t have a clue about camping, but I’m guessing there are some kind of paddles, handle straps, life vest, helmet etc for the rafting portion. And food served family style means she’ll be touching serving utensils at the very least. Will there be rails along the hiking trail? I wouldn’t want to be behind her anywhere along the way.

As a PP said, hand sanitizer doesn’t kill norovirus. So she uses the toilet, uses hand sanitizer then serves herself dinner. Absolutely disgusting.

I just can’t imagine knowing someone was going to put me & everyone else on the trip at such risk & not say anything. So what if it’s not anonymous. If it was someone important enough to me that I was afraid for her to find that out, I would also be close enough to be brutally honest & tell her no, she can’t go. Or point out that she has an obligation to report her condition so everyone else can do what they need to so they don’t catch it.

Yeah, tell the organization. Otherwise you also jeopardize the health of the other hikers. They don't know, they won't keep their distance.

Other question: how well do you know this person? It doesn't sound like a close friend or colleague. Will you encounter this person ever again in your life?

If this is not someone close to you, why care so much about hurting her feelings?

We're related. I know her well enough to know she's prone to big reactions if she feels criticized. I'm really hoping that she's just been blindsided by a bad situation and needs some time to think through her choices. She might change her mind when she tries to get out of bed and move around.

The trail we are hiking is no joke. People die from dehydration and underestimating the difficulty and overestimating their physical condition. Not having hiked it before, I have no personal experience to draw from. I believe it's probably a very bad idea for her.

It’s a start, but this person would need separate everything. I don’t have a clue about camping, but I’m guessing there are some kind of paddles, handle straps, life vest, helmet etc for the rafting portion. And food served family style means she’ll be touching serving utensils at the very least. Will there be rails along the hiking trail? I wouldn’t want to be behind her anywhere along the way.

As a PP said, hand sanitizer doesn’t kill norovirus. So she uses the toilet, uses hand sanitizer then serves herself dinner. Absolutely disgusting.

I just can’t imagine knowing someone was going to put me & everyone else on the trip at such risk & not say anything. So what if it’s not anonymous. If it was someone important enough to me that I was afraid for her to find that out, I would also be close enough to be brutally honest & tell her no, she can’t go. Or point out that she has an obligation to report her condition so everyone else can do what they need to so they don’t catch it.

I hear you, and I somewhat agree. But what if she doesn't have norovirus and then I've just ruined her trip and maybe she forfeits several thousand dollars because she believes I'm being neurotic. It's going to cause major problems in our relationship. She does have an obligation to report her condition so I can probably approach it that way.

I would be running the other way. If the sick family didn’t cancel, I’d be canceling. Noro is so contagious and horrific that I don’t want it and can’t imagine being camping with no facilities. Just no.

DS had Noro on a Give Kids The World trip his senior year of HS. It was a school sponsored trip and DS was the first to get it and went back to the hotel. Others were coming down with it, even the teachers/chaperones. Some were sick on the plane home, which I can’t imagine. One got hit on the jetway in PHL when they got home. It’s bad enough to get sick but not be home and then infect others. No thanks.

I hear you, and I somewhat agree. But what if she doesn't have norovirus and then I've just ruined her trip and maybe she forfeits several thousand dollars because she believes I'm being neurotic. It's going to cause major problems in our relationship. She does have an obligation to report her condition so I can probably approach it that way.

And the chance she does have it & many other people have their vacations ruined, costing them thousands of dollars & maybe their health are probably better than the chances she doesn’t have it. How would you feel about that? So you’re more worried she’ll be mad at you than you are about your own health or the health of all the other unknowing people on the trip. Got it. Nice.

Just curious of why you abdominal surgeon let you drink grape juice on the morning of the surgery. I've had a ton of surgery and it's always been NPO after midnight and occasionally a sip of water with needed medications on day of.

I ask because I'm always interested in new strategies and if the grape juice one has been studied and vetted, then I'd like to hear more about it. Thanks.
It's called carb loading before surgery. There are many articles and healthcare documentation online.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21781358/

And the chance she does have it & many other people have their vacations ruined, costing them thousands of dollars & maybe their health are probably better than the chances she doesn’t have it. How would you feel about that? So you’re more worried she’ll be mad at you than you are about your own health or the health of all the other unknowing people on the trip. Got it. Nice.

Hey now. I'm not the bad person here. I'm most definitely worried about my health and the health of my husband and people in my group outside of her. That's why I'm asking everyone for their opinions. I'm not in the medical field so the real risk is unknown to me. This is a complicated situation. You're strongly on the side of protecting the group and I get that. It's just not an easy thing to go above/around someone and risk the blow up. But I do hear your point. I'm really hoping she makes a decision in the best interest of the group on her own.

Hey now. I'm not the bad person here. I'm most definitely worried about my health and the health of my husband and people in my group outside of her. That's why I'm asking everyone for their opinions. I'm not in the medical field so the real risk is unknown to me. This is a complicated situation. You're strongly on the side of protecting the group and I get that. It's just not an easy thing to go above/around someone and risk the blow up. But I do hear your point. I'm really hoping she makes a decision in the best interest of the group on her own.

Right, you asked the question but you‘re pretty much ignoring the comments. Your only response has been you’ll stay 10 feet away from her. Not quite the same thing as notifying the organizer/ lead/ vendor. Sounds to me like you’ll figure out how to protect yourself & you’re not worried about anyone else.

There's 11 of us going together. 24 total on the trip. Not that I think it makes a difference, honestly.

ETA: We aren't sharing cars or tents. Just having communal food and camp toilet. Might be in the raft together. There's multiple rafts. I can probably pick a different raft.

I can stay 10 feet away except in the raft.

Here’s the thing though about communicable diseases like norovirus.

You know she (& her husband possibly) are sick, so you stay away from them. You don’t ride in their raft on the 1st day.

But couple #3 doesn’t know to stay away & DOES ride in their raft on the 1st day & ends up exposed & then contagious in the immediate hours prior to them beginning to exhibit their 1st symptoms.

And, before couple #3 starts exhibiting symptoms but is contagious & just doesn’t know it, they end up w/ you on a raft or eating next to you following their encounter w/ the known sick couple on the raft on the 1st day. Or another person who‘s been in close proximity to the known sick couple gets sick but isn’t aware yet & uses the communal spoon to dip out dinner, & you follow right behind them & use the same spoon.

And, then, boom, you’re exposed - even though you’ve stayed away from the known sick couple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter