Non-Folding Strollers on Disney Buses

Buzz's Buddy

DIS Veteran
I need to vent.

We're staying at OKW. 2 days ago, we were on a bus to MK. We got on at the next to the last stop which filled up all the seat on the bus. At the last stop, there was a huge crowd waiting to get on, including a guest in a wheelchair. The bus driver loaded the wheelchair guest and the rest of that person's family. By now, several people were standing, and there were probably 25 people waiting to board. At this point, a woman with a huge double jogging stoller if she could bring the stoller on while the wheelchair ramp was extended. The bus driver asked if it folded, and she said no. He asked if she had a special permit for it, and she said no. He then allowed the woman and her 2 children to board and her husband brought the stoller on. But, when he did that, it barely fit. It also completely blocked the aisle meaning no one could get past to stand in the back part of the bus.

I also do not know if this family managed to bypass everyone else waiting at the bus stop, but there were some very upset people who did not make it on the bus, when there was plenty of standing room.

When we arrived at the MK, I heard the bus driver telling them that he really shouldn't have let them on the bus and they may have trouble getting back to the resort. NO KIDDING!! IMHO, that bus driver should not have let that family board with that stroller. If you're going to bring something that big, figure out your own way to get it to the park.

And shame on that bus driver for allowing them on the bus, possibly bypassing people that had been at that bus stop longer.

I agree. I have no problem with them being allowed on the bus--but they need to wait in line like everyone else.

Anne

Anytime we've ridden any of the buses the driver has always insisted that the strollers be folded. I have never experienced people getting on the bus with a stroller that was not folded.

I have seen people get into arguments with bus drivers because they didn't want to have to remove the child from the stroller, much less fold it up.

My guess is that the driver had this family present with little children and this monster stroller and decided to just let them on the bus rather than turn them away. Nonfolding strollers are a hazard on the buses; I'm assuming it wasn't tied down like the wheelchairs. I believe that's why they aren't allowed.

I'd also say he should have let the back of the bus fill up first, then let the guy on with the stroller. If there were multiple stops he would have had to drag the stroller out to let people off, but he's the one who brought a megastroller and expected to get it onto a bus.

It would be impractical to make the stroler owner pull the stroller out at every stop because the driver would have to lower the wheelchair lift eah time.

But given the large stroller it would have been better to give the other passengers the benefit of the doubt as to who got there first, and boarded them first, and have the stroller owner;'s family wait for the next bus.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I've never heard of a stroller that didn't fold. How the heck did they get it on the plane, to the hotel or even in their trunk on their way home from the store where they bought it? Sounds like they just couldn't be bothered.
I had a jogging stroller (single) that folded but it was still big and no way would I bother dragging it all thru WDW! For a few bucks it's so much easier to just rent one. How rude!

That driver should have not allowed that stroller on board the bus. Disney policy is that ALL strollers *MUST* be folded. If they cannot be folded, the child must get out of the stroller, and the empty stroller must be strapped down like a wheelchair.

(The exception to all this is strollers that are being used as wheelchairs... and in that case, they get treated exactly like a wheelchair)

I've never heard of a stroller that didn't fold. How the heck did they get it on the plane, to the hotel or even in their trunk on their way home from the store where they bought it? Sounds like they just couldn't be bothered.
I had a jogging stroller (single) that folded but it was still big and no way would I bother dragging it all thru WDW! For a few bucks it's so much easier to just rent one. How rude!

I couldnt believe what I saw going into the parks one day. A man with a huge double jogger type stroller and one of his older kids carrying 2 big wheels and another older kid carrying a big handle type bar. I was thinking- way too much trouble for a stroller- and I had never seen anything like that. I encounterd him later in the day with the stroller put together and it was actually one that hooks onto the back of a bike. It had a hitch on the front, but he was pushing it. Both big wheels on now and the big handle bar. Wonder if that was the same dude. Ther is no way that would fold up, they just had it in pieces.:rolleyes1

There are several types of multiple-seat stroller that don't fold, including the Peg Triplette (on that one the seats come off, and then you can slightly compress the frame, but it is still huge. And of course, you are then also carrying what amounts to three small carseats along with the frame.) Most jogging strollers will fold in half once the front wheel is removed, but it's a hassle to do getting on and off a bus.

Bike-trailer-conversion strollers are not supposed to be allowed in the parks. Usually if you try to bring one in, they will keep it at stroller rental and let you take a rental instead. These can be very dangerous in crowds because of the hitch sticking out in the front.

I thought it was dangerous looking also. The crowds were so large and the stroller was in pieces so I guess they just didnt notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter