• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No way for the 2008 DP!

Bete

DIS Veteran

I just can't see it. Sure the price hasn't gone up, but no appetizer and no gratuity just takes away all the advantages of being on the plan. I would tip extra, but I loved having the base tip included. I never had bad service and I even went during free dining.

I know you can overeat on the plan, but I think that should be an individual's choice. I loved trying different appetizers. That had true appeal to me being part of the plan. It seems more exotic to me. I loved sharing appetizers with each other, too.

There's no really new restaurants (You can't count Tusker House, Japan or Italy) being added to make the variety better on the plan.

I don't have to tip on counter service and I don't need reservations; so, I honestly think I'll just do two counter service meals now with an occassional Table Service meal. They can keep the 2008 dining plan.

We are really disappointed about the 2008 DDp too. we are going in April and are eating at the same Amt of TS restaurants but are not doing the DDP. We usualle get Apt and nbo dessert so it makes no sense for us to be on the DDP. I figured it out about 20 different ways and we will save about $100-$150 without the DDP. We really enjoyed it while it lasted though.
Heidi

I agree! Not worth the price anymore. Now if they giveme free dining in Sept, that's a whole 'nother story!

We just returned from an 11 day trip and I don't think we'll be doing the dining plan again. It was a lot of food but we knew that. I wish the appet. was included and not the dessert for next year. After 4 or 5 days we were really tired of desserts, especially since they come with the CS as well. I would rather have the appet. Also, we don't carry cash so we would have to pay oop for a drink or something so we could include the tip or charge more to the room. Also, a lot of times we went to walk up places and got a snack and a beer. It was too much trouble to do 2 seperate transactions for the beer and snack so we just paid oop for everything. We had to many snack credits the last day we bough TONS of mints to bring home to everyone. I think it was way to much food and too much hassle but completly worth it for the way it is now. But next year, not so much. I like having all the food pre-paid but I think we'll pay oop next time. I never thought I would say that either. :rolleyes1

We going in Sep 2008 and have free dining but with the changes in the DP there's no way I would pay for it. I'm betting a lot of people feel the same way.

I am going in Sept on the Bounceback and even though they took out the grat and app I still think the dining plan is a good deal. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about paying for 2 meals per day. My parents just booked their own reservation to go at the same time I am and they are getting the DDP on my recommendation.

We had trouble using all of our credits this September (traded TS for CS, getting four free landyard/pins in exchange) and ended up with 18 rice krispee treats to bring home, and two leftover/unused CS meals. This was all OK, as it was free dining. It was great not having to carry cash for tips as well! We were lucky to get bounced back (after some issues) so we will use it this year again (gladly) and will continue doing so... as long as it is free! :) We would not purchase it however, it would be cheaper for us to pay out of pocket for what we eat! We went to TS because it was there, however, there were very few places that we would "have" to go back to, we would mainly eat CS if we were paying for it! I am going to hate carrying cash for gratuities, we always put everything we bought on our KTTW card, so we only carried our ID's and medical information/insurance card, (oh and quarters and pennies for the penny machines)! :goodvibes

kimsuenew , could you change your TS credits for CS without any problem? I am planning to do this if possible next september. Thanks and sorry for my poor english, Vero.

...but no appetizer and no gratuity just takes away all the advantages of being on the plan.

I'm sure there is more emotion than fact in that comment.

While the 2008 plan offers "less" than the 2007 version there are still advantages in the plan, thus plenty of families will buy the plan. And of course many will have it for Free in September.
- Being able to order w/o considering prices
- Being able to say yes w/o so much guilt to the kids
- Pre paid meal plan
- Charging on the KTTW card
- and others will see more advantages

The introduction of the Deluxe plan for an all TS experience seems to be a big hit as well. Not a great fit for my family, but will work well for others.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was looking for information on the 2008 DDP because when you go to Disney's website, they are still giving out the 2007 information for 2008 packages. I don't think I would be paying for the DDP anymore either. It just doesn't seem to be worth the money.

While the PP said that you can look at the menu without considering price, it is true for the meals, however, if you order two meals at $30.00 each and 2 desserts at $6.00 each, plus your drinks for $4.00 both, that comes to $76.00. You paid $78.00 for the dining package for two (yes I know the CS and snacks are still coming), but now you have to pay an additional $14.00 for the tip (based on 18%). When you add everything together (TS, tip, CS, and snack) it seems to even out. It doesn't seem to me like you are coming out ahead anymore. I think I would just stick with CS and maybe one TS that I'll pay for OOP.

I agree on the value of the meal influencing your tip amount. That's why I'll be skipping the new Italian place in Epcot, have you seen those numbers? :eek: :rolleyes1

It is really important to keep in mind that different families will find different levels of value in the Dining Plan. There are many who have already done the math and determined that the Dining Plan is still a good deal for them. Clearly, it isn't the outrageously great deal to the vast majority that it was in years past, but now, instead, the price is much closer to what the plan actually offers.

kimsuenew , could you change your TS credits for CS without any problem? I am planning to do this if possible next september. Thanks and sorry for my poor english, Vero.
Hello! By the way, you wrote very well, no apology was needed! :thumbsup2 Yes, we traded at our resort (Saratoga Springs). They even ran a promo on the resort TV about being able to do it, that is how we found out. We used 4 TS and got CS meals in exchange, plus 4 lanyards with 2 pins each. The lanyards that we received were all identical...plain blue, with a plastic hook on the bottom. There were two pins on each, Chip & Dale in an airplane and Minnie in an airplane. I kept one each of the pins and we traded the others. It was very easy to do at SSR and I bet it would be easy anywhere... it saves Disney a lot of money when guests trade TS for CS meals. Have an enjoyable trip! :) Kimberly

we are doing the dulx dining plan for our family it makes total sense finacially for where we want to eat... to each there own some people are happy eating CS - we are not... we have to give the food a try we will be at disney for 8 days and will enjoy every resturand we were hoping with the use of this plan.. and cant be more exicted... personally I think the tip cut is a good thing... lets us decide what the server desearves.... also I kinda agree they should have kep the appt - but with the dulx plan you still get the apptisers...

but then they will wake up in 2008 and 2009 will be a complete disaster for the current plan. This is nothing new with Disney. They get you hooked and in the habit of doing it and then they clean up on the profits thereafter and change it to their advantage. I really believe that it's part of their marketing stradegy.

I heard rumors that eventually Disney will charge for Magical Express. Again, they get you in the habit of using it for free and then boom they charge for it. We already know Disney will be charging more for the most popular times next year; so, we had to bite the bullet on that one, already.

I feel without the plan at a table service meal we will share an appetizer and skip dessert. We will probably drink regular water at most meals. We probably won't go for the most expensive items on the menu, either. I believe we will be money ahead not to do the plan; because, we don't really need all those extras. I would skip a dessert on counter service, too and again be money ahead.

There will not be DP in my future; unless, it's free. Even then, I'll be comparing room rates with and without the free dining plan to make sure it's a better deal.

Having the DP prepaid is really not an advantage; it may be a convenience. I actually planned a trip this year in December on purpose; so, I could do the old DP. I don't think I'll be even going to Disney World next year. I will wait to see how the new resort pricing and DP goes with eveyone and then I'll make a decision about going there in 2009 or not. I'm happy I have other choices to look at for vacation.

After using some form of the DP for the past 15 years - our trip in May will be the first without. We will use the DDE instead, for us the basic DP is no longer worth the money. We prefer appetizers over dessert and would have to pay OOP for the appetizer and tip. The Deluxe Dining Plan would wind up costing us more than paying OOP using the DDE.

I hope Disney re-evaluates both dining plans for 2009. If the tip was included in both plans and choice of either appetizer or dessert was given for the basic plan, I might consider it again.

For us neither dining plan is worth it.

I thin the problem will occur with people who have gone to WDW on the DDP in the past and assume it's still the same. When they are having to pay the tip OOP they will either be angry or short change the server.

I would agree that financially, it will be tough to come out more than 10% ahead over OOP, but convenience wise- it's still a great concept. Just wish there was more value to the plan.

I'd rather see the cost go up $10 bucks a day but cover the tip and the appy.

I am leaving this Thursday and we had the DDP. I'm looking forward to the financial value of the 2007 plan.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was looking for information on the 2008 DDP because when you go to Disney's website, they are still giving out the 2007 information for 2008 packages. I don't think I would be paying for the DDP anymore either. It just doesn't seem to be worth the money.

While the PP said that you can look at the menu without considering price, it is true for the meals, however, if you order two meals at $30.00 each and 2 desserts at $6.00 each, plus your drinks for $4.00 both, that comes to $76.00. You paid $78.00 for the dining package for two (yes I know the CS and snacks are still coming), but now you have to pay an additional $14.00 for the tip (based on 18%). When you add everything together (TS, tip, CS, and snack) it seems to even out. It doesn't seem to me like you are coming out ahead anymore. I think I would just stick with CS and maybe one TS that I'll pay for OOP.

Using your example (and some estimations and rounding):

Out of pocket:

TS:
$30 x 2 = $60 (meal)
$6 x 2 = $12 (dessert)
3 x 2 = $6 (drinks)
Tax = $5
Tip = $14

Total TS: $97

CS:
$8 x 2 = $16 (meal)
$3 x 2 = $6 (dessert)
$3 x 2 = $6 (drinks)
Tax = $2

Total CS = $30

Snack:

$3 x 2 = $6
Tax = .40

Total Snack: $6.40

Total OOP for the day = 133.40

DDP Cost:

37.99 x 2 = 75.98
Tip at CS: 14

Total DDP cost for the day: $89.98

Doesn't seem to equal out to me. A LOT of the value is going to depend on what you order for an entree at your TS choice (because it will effect tax AND tip). But even if you order the $20 entree choice, you're going to come out ahead....granted by about $10 per person, per day.

It's not the OVERWHELMING value it used to be, but you're still able to save money. There are disadvantages (you have to prepay unless you're a DVC owner, you have to forgo the room discount for free dining, etc), and you have to decide if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for you. It's not he slam dunk decision it used to be, true. But it can still provide value over the alternatives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter