No sugar free on property?

And as most diabetic realize, it's not the sugar that needs to be watched, but the carbs and it can vary by foods on how your body reacts. I'm a T1 diabetic with an insulin pump but was mistakenly diagonsed as a T2 for many years (always insulin-dependent). Even back then when I was watching my carbs, I could eat a bowl of ice cream or other treat and be ok. But the minute I have any kind of potato product, whether it's mashed, tots/fries, etc--my BS is out of control and it takes a lot of insulin to correct it. And as someone with two food allergies, the allergy menus aren't offering a huge variety for choices. Personally, I tend to avoid foods with any kind of "sugar-free" labeling as many times a sugar alchohol is used, which can pose other problems. I'd opt for no sugar added every time.

I also find it odd that Disney doesn't cater to the large number of diabetics. Compared to those with food allergies, diabetes has got to be a larger population.
Keto is a big trend in food now and is popular for even those who aren't diabetic.
C'mon Disney!

And as most diabetic realize, it's not the sugar that needs to be watched, but the carbs and it can vary by foods on how your body reacts. I'm a T1 diabetic with an insulin pump but was mistakenly diagonsed as a T2 for many years (always insulin-dependent). Even back then when I was watching my carbs, I could eat a bowl of ice cream or other treat and be ok. But the minute I have any kind of potato product, whether it's mashed, tots/fries, etc--my BS is out of control and it takes a lot of insulin to correct it. And as someone with two food allergies, the allergy menus aren't offering a huge variety for choices. Personally, I tend to avoid foods with any kind of "sugar-free" labeling as many times a sugar alchohol is used, which can pose other problems. I'd opt for no sugar added every time.
Even artificial sweeteners can cause a rise in blood sugar. I just try to limit carbohydrates: pasta, potatoes, baked goods, sugar, and fruit.

Hi,

I am a newly diagnosed diabetic ( Covid induced diabetes). I am currently taking insulin 4x a day. Are there any places that we know for sure have some options? Eating at Disney used to be so much fun!

"I think the point individuals are trying to make here is Disney’s failure to recognize the dietary needs of diabetics as one of their special dietary requests, yet cater to every other dietary need."

So, I'm going to push back on this statement. I'm a physician who treats diabetes and gives diabetes nutrition counseling. The idea that sugar-free items are a "dietary need" for patient's with diabetes is simply untrue.

Sugar-free items can be helpful for patients with diabetes who want to have regular sweetened dessert items, but they aren't necessary nor should they probably be a regular part of the diet in diabetes. Patients with (especially well-controlled) diabetes can have regular desserts with normal sugar in them - they just have to be cautious with portion sizes and dessert frequency, and be sure the rest of their day-to-day eating is adjusted in a healthy manner. This is what they should be doing on a regular basis anyways to help maintain good control of their diabetes. There have also been a large number of studies on the regular use of artificial sweeteners (as used in sugar-free deserts) over the past 2 decades and they have not found a significant long-term benefit to their use in patients with type 2 diabetes.

Based on this, I would not be heavily criticizing Disney on this point, I'm not sure every restaurant/kiosk needs to have a sugar free choice. And also I will add that the Disney candy stores have plenty of sugar-free choices already.

"I think the point individuals are trying to make here is Disney’s failure to recognize the dietary needs of diabetics as one of their special dietary requests, yet cater to every other dietary need."

So, I'm going to push back on this statement. I'm a physician who treats diabetes and gives diabetes nutrition counseling. The idea that sugar-free items are a "dietary need" for patient's with diabetes is simply untrue.

Sugar-free items can be helpful for patients with diabetes who want to have regular sweetened dessert items, but they aren't necessary nor should they probably be a regular part of the diet in diabetes. Patients with (especially well-controlled) diabetes can have regular desserts with normal sugar in them - they just have to be cautious with portion sizes and dessert frequency, and be sure the rest of their day-to-day eating is adjusted in a healthy manner. This is what they should be doing on a regular basis anyways to help maintain good control of their diabetes. There have also been a large number of studies on the regular use of artificial sweeteners (as used in sugar-free deserts) over the past 2 decades and they have not found a significant long-term benefit to their use in patients with type 2 diabetes.

Based on this, I would not be heavily criticizing Disney on this point, I'm not sure every restaurant/kiosk needs to have a sugar free choice. And also I will add that the Disney candy stores have plenty of sugar-free choices already.
I agree with you - but I will also say that on our Disney cruise in January, it was really nice that at table service meals there was always a "no sugar added" dessert on the menu (and I was surprised at how tasty they were). I don't normally eat desserts, but I really enjoyed being able to splurge on the cruise without affecting control of my diabetes. It would be lovely if the restaurants at WDW offered the same, so guests could have a choice.

I agree with you - but I will also say that on our Disney cruise in January, it was really nice that at table service meals there was always a "no sugar added" dessert on the menu (and I was surprised at how tasty they were). I don't normally eat desserts, but I really enjoyed being able to splurge on the cruise without affecting control of my diabetes. It would be lovely if the restaurants at WDW offered the same, so guests could have a choice.
I must not have been looking as closely at the menu on our last trip (I'm a T1 diabetic and do eat regular desserts on occasion so I'm not specifically searching out the no-sugar/sugar-free options). On previous visits, there generally was some sort of no-sugar added dessert (cheesecake was usually one, sorbet). Maybe ask your server when seated if they have any off-menu options?

I must not have been looking as closely at the menu on our last trip (I'm a T1 diabetic and do eat regular desserts on occasion so I'm not specifically searching out the no-sugar/sugar-free options). On previous visits, there generally was some sort of no-sugar added dessert (cheesecake was usually one, sorbet). Maybe ask your server when seated if they have any off-menu options?
My diagnosis was fairly recent, so I haven't been to WDW yet. But some years ago (15+) we brought DD's teen friend, who is T1, and the chef would come out and talk with her about her choices at any given restaurant. I know she had no-sugar-added ice cream, not sure what else, so I'm actually a bit surprised by the reports here of not having any options, even after asking the chef. It certainly was nice on our cruise to have the no-sugar-added dessert listed on the menu!

My diagnosis was fairly recent, so I haven't been to WDW yet. But some years ago (15+) we brought DD's teen friend, who is T1, and the chef would come out and talk with her about her choices at any given restaurant. I know she had no-sugar-added ice cream, not sure what else, so I'm actually a bit surprised by the reports here of not having any options, even after asking the chef. It certainly was nice on our cruise to have the no-sugar-added dessert listed on the menu!
I did indeed enjoy all the dessert options they had on DCL (and maybe I'm remembering that menu rather than the WDW menus) 😛 It certainly took me a while to adjust to my new "normal" when I was diagnosed 21 years ago, so I can certainly empathize!

Could you please point these out? I've been to the candy store locations in WDW and found very little availability of these products.

Great to see a physician's opinion!
However, while sugar intake for type 2 diabetics may not provide a dramatic health emergency (like a peanut allergy for instance), the need for a balanced approach (as the Dr suggested) is paramount. Not having access to no/low sugar items on a menu ensures that you won't meet that balance.
This is also a general health issue. With childhood obesity on the rise (a serious problem), the lack of low sugar or low calorie options is problematic anywhere. This is why many school districts are now providing no/low sugar and low calorie options in their cafeterias.
The Dr is also correct about portion control but I have to sympathize with Disney getting beat up should they minimize that (case in point, CFO McCarthy's "fat shaming" comments a few years ago about portions).

As a type 2 diabetic I monitor carbs and sugar. We just don’t do any set menu places anymore at Disney. I did have a portion of no added sugar ice cream at AK but didn’t find anything else.
I tried marking up the adr with other requirement, most places were fine with substituting veg for carbs. At Toledo at check in the cm told be low carb was not an allergy just to speak to my server.
Also discovered last summer Blaze had taken away their keto crust.
If you find anything please share.

I had a really good sugar free Panna Cotta made with rice milk at Whispering Canyon last month. It’s not for everyone, but I will order it again next trip!

I had a really good sugar free Panna Cotta made with rice milk at Whispering Canyon last month. It’s not for everyone, but I will order it again next trip!
Did you have to request it via the chef, or was it listed on the menu as "no sugar added" or otherwise?

Many people, particularly when vacationing, will cheat on their diet.
Many restaurants supply nutritional information. There are apps and books which publish nutritional information. Listings include items purchased in grocery stores and restaurants. Information include calories, carbs, sugar etc. Diners can decide how much diet cheating they're willing to do. Diabetics can better judge insulin requirements. They can decide how bad the dessert is.

Disney takes advantage of loopholes to avoid disclosing how unhealthy the food is.

Dessert at cheesecake factory

30th Anniversary Chocolate Cake Cheesecake

30th Anniversary Chocolate Cake Cheesecake​

Cheesecake Factory

Nutrition Facts per
Serving Size:

Amount Per Serving
Calories1310

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 85g grams109%Daily Value
Saturated Fat 51g grams255%Daily Value
Trans Fat 2.5g grams
Cholesterol 295mg milligrams98%Daily Value
Sodium 600mg milligrams26%Daily Value
Total Carbohydrates 127g grams46%Daily Value
Dietary Fiber 6g grams21%Daily Value
Sugars 102g grams
Protein 16g grams

Last edited:

Cheesecake Factory

Nutrition Facts per
Serving Size:

Amount Per Serving
Calories1310

% Daily Value*
Trans Fat 2.5g grams
Cholesterol 295m gmilligrams98%Daily Value
Dietary Fiber 6ggrams21%Daily Value
Sugars 102g grams
Protein 16g grams
OMG!!!!!!

Cheesecake Factory

Nutrition Facts per
Serving Size:

Amount Per Serving
Calories1310

% Daily Value*
Trans Fat 2.5g grams
Cholesterol 295mg milligrams98%Daily Value
Dietary Fiber 6g grams21%Daily Value
Sugars 102g grams
Protein 16g grams
P.ease tell me this is for the entire cheesecake and not a slice! Holy ***!!

P.ease tell me this is for the entire cheesecake and not a slice! Holy ***!!
I won't lie. The info is for ONE slice. Some guests think they're good if they only eat half.

For diners who want more protein in their dessert

Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake​

Cheesecake Factory

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size:

Order

Amount Per Serving
Calories1530

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 94g grams121%Daily Value
Saturated Fat 45g grams225%Daily Value
Trans Fat 2ggrams
Cholesterol 245mg milligrams82%Daily Value
Sodium 980mg milligrams43%Daily Value
Total Carbohydrates 157g grams57%Daily Value
Dietary Fiber 7g grams25%Daily Value
Sugars 125g grams
Protein 23g

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter