No response to Dining Plan Complaint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

Guests and potential Guests who requested the planning video in 2007 should EXPECT the 2007 video and information. A reasonable person consider that there MIGHT be 2008 changes to the 2007 information provided.

Absolutely not true. If you request a planning video toward the end of a year (September in this case) that has information that will not be valid for the next year, the CM should have made it clear that changes to the DDP were about to be made....and changes that were NOT in the favor of the guest. Many guests (if not most) do not plan a trip with a couple of months as a time frame and it is WDW's responsibility to be aware of that potential and to act accordingly.

Wild guess but... most likely they sent you the 2007 video because the 2008 video did not exist at the time you requested one. And since you got A planning video, it would be your (any traveler's) responsibility to request updated information, not the provider's responsibility to automatically provide one.

Again, a planning video should be current to ANY time frame in which a patron could book OR should have included a written sheet BOLDLY explaining changes in the DDP. The OP called in SEPTEMBER and it's more than reasonable to suggest that she would be visiting in 2008. Also, when she booked in January, AND MENTIONED THAT SHE HAD RECEIVED A VIDEO IN 2007, the CM should have made her aware of DDP changes. The CMs' jobs are to be proactive and to INFORM, not to merely book reservations.

Quite frankly, too many people on these boards think that WDW can do no wrong and the customer must absorb all mistakes and happily accept sub-par customer service. While I do not believe this customer deserves any compensation at all, I do believe that this is another example of WDW shoddy customer service. I know all too many people who have gone to WDW and have not come back worshipping the mouse because of the same sort of problems the OP brought to this forum. WDW relies on more than just fanatics to support their operations. They are not servicing or capturing an important part of their customer base. The CMs booking reservations are the front line in this operation and to mislead and misinform, intentional or not, is not a hallmark of a well-run business.

I was aware of change prior to booking DDP for the 1st time. I have noticed the last couple of weeks when I'm calling and changing ADR's, I have had a few castmembers mention the changes in DDP since 07 and they want to make sure I know that there are changes, including tip is not included. I tell them I'm aware and they stop.

And it is the company's first line of defense's responsibility to provide accurate, insightful information relavent to each and every customer's needs. If a corporate representative does not accurately address a customer's needs, the encounter reflects poorly on the corporation. The entity will suffer regardless of where the ultimate responsibility lies. Ultimately, that affects the corporate bottom line.

This encounter was easily fixed. The CM merely had to ask the customer what her possible arrival date was....2007 or 2008...and explain the change briefly and accurately. All CMs should have been schooled to do that the minute the DDP changes were agreed upon by the corporation. Dissemination of information is important.

All CMs should have been schooled to do that the minute the DDP changes were agreed upon by the corporation. Dissemination of information is important.

What's the name of this perfect world you live in? ;)

This isn't so much about Disney as it is about consumer responsibility. Blame the corporation because the cup didn't say the coffee was hot kind of a thing. I'm not saying that the company has no responsibility to provide accurate information but it's up to us to be educated in our purchases. Personally, no - I don't accept anything verbally as truth unless I have it in writing. If I received a pamplet that said "2007 Dining Plan" I would question it. Just as with planning my Disney Wedding, I received a 2007 price list for something and I questioned it. It's common sense and you should protect yourself as the consumer. Don't be on the ready to point blame, it's just so inconvenient and annoying. I'd rather avoid the hassle altogether. :rolleyes1

What's the name of this perfect world you live in? ;)

This isn't so much about Disney as it is about consumer responsibility. Blame the corporation because the cup didn't say the coffee was hot kind of a thing. I'm not saying that the company has no responsibility to provide accurate information but it's up to us to be educated in our purchases. Personally, no - I don't accept anything verbally as truth unless I have it in writing. If I received a pamplet that said "2007 Dining Plan" I would question it. Just as with planning my Disney Wedding, I received a 2007 price list for something and I questioned it. It's common sense and you should protect yourself as the consumer. Don't be on the ready to point blame, it's just so inconvenient and annoying. I'd rather avoid the hassle altogether. :rolleyes1

Sorry, I disagree for two reasons. First off, there is a ton of old, conflicting information out about WDW by virtue of guides which may or may not be accurately updated year over year. These guides may say 2008 on them but may not have been revised to reflect changes in WDW policies. Also, if WDW chooses to change a policy mid-year, these guides are useless. However, most consumers would consider a guide published in 2008 with 2008 prominently displayed on it to be accurate. If their next information source is a CM, it is the company's responsibility to accurately disseminate information BECAUSE THEY KNOW THERE IS CONFLICTING INFORMATION OUT THERE.

Secondly, and I say this over and over and will continue to say it. If the customer is not happy with the service, they will bad mouth the corporation 10 times more than they will praise it for good service. Would you continue to use a travel agent that provided you with outdated information? I certainly wouldn't. The service industry standard should be to provide accurate information in writing AND verbally.

Oh, and btw, what do you mean by "Don't be on the ready to point blame, it's just so inconvenient and annoying." If I interpret correctly, you've said that the company has responsibility to provide accurate information. If the company has not done so, then the company needs to retool and rethink how they are disseminating information. This is not pointing blame; this is good business.

Sorry, I disagree for two reasons. First off, there is a ton of old, conflicting information out about WDW by virtue of guides which may or may not be accurately updated year over year. These guides may say 2008 on them but may not have been revised to reflect changes in WDW policies. Also, if WDW chooses to change a policy mid-year, these guides are useless. However, most consumers would consider a guide published in 2008 with 2008 prominently displayed on it to be accurate. If their next information source is a CM, it is the company's responsibility to accurately disseminate information BECAUSE THEY KNOW THERE IS CONFLICTING INFORMATION OUT THERE.

If you're referring to unofficial Disney travel books you can't rely on them 100% either. I'm talking about receiving a 2008 pamplet or brochure from Disney in writing. That's just me.

Secondly, and I say this over and over and will continue to say it. If the customer is not happy with the service, they will bad mouth the corporation 10 times more than they will praise it for good service. Would you continue to use a travel agent that provided you with outdated information? I certainly wouldn't. The service industry standard should be to provide accurate information in writing AND verbally.

No, and I'll say what I've been saying over and over again, too. If people are this unhappy with the alleged misinformation from Disney, why do they continue to pad their pockets with their business? Money speaks much louder than complaining. I wasn't pleased with the Dining Plan changes so I'm not purchasing the DDP. People still continue to suck it up and therein lies the problem. Again, it's just my understanding that the employees (in general) don't care about the company's bottom line. If they don't fully understand the changes, as you said it's the company's responsibility to either hire better workers at a better salary or just try to cut corners. If Disney or any other company is still doing great business despite this, what reason do they have to change? This is the exact reason why I protect myself with knowledge.

Oh, and btw, what do you mean by "Don't be on the ready to point blame, it's just so inconvenient and annoying." If I interpret correctly, you've said that the company has responsibility to provide accurate information. If the company has not done so, then the company needs to retool and rethink how they are disseminating information. This is not pointing blame; this is good business.

It would be good business if it actually happened that way. I'm just seeing the reality of it - and it's just much easier to avoid problems than to try and sue or prove where you've been wronged. Just no point. As the OP was saying, "they record phone calls". Seriously, what's the point? Where is it going to get you? It's like swimming upstream.

Not at all. But it is the customer's responsibility to know what they're buying.[/QUOTE

I agree! Totally unrelated to the OP complaints, but still proves the above poster's comment: We've had free dining the last three Septembers and will have it again this year if it is offered. The first year we had it, we were waiting at Le Cellier for our names to be called. We had been told they were running about an hour behind. They were turning walkups away, right and left. A rather large family came up and the CM waiting outside with her clipboard full of that nights ADRs, asked if they had an ADR. The woman rather breezily said, "no, we don't need one of those things. We have free dining, so can eat anywhere we want and have front of the line privileges over these other people". She then waved her hand over toward where all of us with ADRs were waiting. The CM looked almost speechless and people all around started giggling. The CM tried to explain ADRs and that Le Cellier had been booked up for months. This woman was having none of it. She kept insisting that with their 'free dining plan' Disney had said they could eat anywhere they wanted to, anytime they wanted, and didn't have to wait.:rotfl: :rotfl: She insisted a manager be called, and when the manager again tried to explain ADRs and the DDP, she literally started screaming at him, that he didn't know what he was talking about it and she was going to guest relations to get it straightened out. This lady had no idea about ADRs or the DDP. How could someone be so foolish to spend so much money on a vacation and do absolutely no research to see what she was getting? It was apparently their first night at WDW, but I often wondered that week if they got in anywhere to eat with their 'free dining plan'. All the restaurants we saw that week were turning away walkups, as everywhere was packed with free diners. I feel sure she went back home badmouthing Disney for not explaining the DDP throughly to her and for not letting her know she would need ADRs.

gina2000 said:
Sorry, I disagree for two reasons. First off, there is a ton of old, conflicting information out about WDW by virtue of guides which may or may not be accurately updated year over year. These guides may say 2008 on them but may not have been revised to reflect changes in WDW policies.
First, for the most part, those guides are UNofficial, i.e. not published by, or the responsibility of, Walt Disney World.
Second, while no, a 2008 guide printed in August 2007 could logistically be updated ("Hey, everybody who bought kaytie's Guide to WDW back in 2007, please send them back to me so I can throw in updated information!"), guides DO generate additional printings over the ensuing twelve months and DO update information in the new printings.

gina2000 said:
However, most consumers would consider a guide published in 2008 with 2008 prominently displayed on it to be accurate
However, a consumer who purchases a 2008 guide obviously published in 2007 - i.e. buying the UG in August 2007 when it is first published - would reasonably be expected to at least CONSIDER that, barring time travel, the information might not be 100% up to date. Heck, travel guide authors and publishers admit that, due to production time, a percentage of the information is outdated by the time the guide prints.

If their next information source is a CM, it is the company's responsibility to accurately disseminate information BECAUSE THEY KNOW THERE IS CONFLICTING INFORMATION OUT THERE.
Actually, not as far as Disney is concerned. With the exception of Birnbaum's Walt Disney World, NO source is connected with, the responsibility of, or endorsed by Disney. Thus, there is no 'conflicting' information as far as they're concerned.

Just cancel it if you are not going to be happy, you have plenty of time to cancel before your trip..

And it is the company's first line of defense's responsibility to provide accurate, insightful information relavent to each and every customer's needs. If a corporate representative does not accurately address a customer's needs, the encounter reflects poorly on the corporation. The entity will suffer regardless of where the ultimate responsibility lies. Ultimately, that affects the corporate bottom line.

This encounter was easily fixed. The CM merely had to ask the customer what her possible arrival date was....2007 or 2008...and explain the change briefly and accurately. All CMs should have been schooled to do that the minute the DDP changes were agreed upon by the corporation. Dissemination of information is important.

:thumbsup2 I agree. I don't understand why some people don't get that Disney has the responsibility to train their employees to give the correct information. :rolleyes:

I don't know where I stand on the compensation idea. However, I did want to address the fact that someone asked the OP if she asked point blank if the plan would be the same. I had heard rumor that it was changing when I booked and asked them if the plan would be the same for 2008 as it was for 2007 and I was told yes, when I asked about the rumor I was told rumors are just that, rumors that no changes were made to the 2008 plan. I called back a couple of different times and told the same thing. No changes were made. Just thought I should defend someone who thought they had all the information and was given mis-information. As late as Feb. sometime if you searched Frequently asked questions it said the tip was included. I know it isn't there today when I searched but, I don't know when it was removed.

I understand the frustration by not being responded to, a polite sorry you didn't get correct information would have gone a long way.

I read somewhere in one of the postings that, as consumers, we have to do our reseach and that the best place to get the right info is right here, on the DisBoards.:)

My question is: Where does the info we get on these boards come from? I assume it's Disney themselves, right?

So we're right back at square one..... It's Disney's responsibility to give out the correct info.

OP ;)

It says in all the info that disney sends out that all programs are subject to change without notice. Not all CM's are up to speed on all the info and may give incorrect information. Before you flame me, I know that Disney should have all CM's on the same page, but as we all know that isn't always the case.
If the OP feels strong enough to contact Disney, they she (he) has that right, but don't always expect to get what you want.

Good luck though :)

I read somewhere in one of the postings that, as consumers, we have to do our reseach and that the best place to get the right info is right here, on the DisBoards.:)

My question is: Where does the info we get on these boards come from? I assume it's Disney themselves, right?

So we're right back at square one..... It's Disney's responsibility to give out the correct info.

OP ;)

Actually I think most of the information that is posted here is the results of actual experiences at Disney not what we are told by the CMs. Which is why this is the best place to find out what is actually happening.

I understand that people want to receive accurate information from the CMs when the call about their Disney vacations. However, I think people are overlooking the fact that one of the things that makes Disney such a wonderful and addicting tourist destination is that it is constantly changing. I'm working on my 4th trip in three years and there are always new restaurants, rides, and attractions. The dining plan is just one compenent of the Disney experience. People also get upset when favorite rides are being refurbished, when restaurants close, when stage shows end their runs, etc... With the mind boggling amount of information there is to know about DW what percentage do you actually think a call center rep, who often live nowhere near DW, should be accountable for?

If Disney management was to decide that having frontline employees, like the call center reps, be 100% accurate and up to date on all Disney information was of the utmost priority, how do you think this would be accomplished? It would raise prices further as they invest more time/money into each employee. But, of greatest concern to me is that it would totally stifle the creativity and constantly changing environment. They would have to schedule refurbs years out to properly notify everyone that they might not get to ride Space Mountain. There would be no rush to open a "Finding Nemo:The Musical" because they have 18 to 24 months of people who might have expected "Tarzan Rocks!" Essentially absolutely no changes could be implemented until a full calender year after they are announced to insure that no one possibily experiences something different than what they expected. They would also be extremely conservative with any new promotions because they know they would be stuck with it another year or so after they are ready to pull the plug.

OP ;)

This information was available at the original Disney site by the time you booked.
Disney did provide the correct information.

You obviously you have access to internet so why didn’t you look there?
Nobody can expect that you get a 100% information from people on the phone. People aren’t perfect there no robots ore computers and just make mistakes.
I think neither of us can state for their selves he/she never, ever has provided a wrong information to anyone. Of course unless you are perfect.
That’s life and we all have to accept this fact.

Besides it seems as every big corporation in the USA is used as a Piggy Bank.

" I want receive compensation" is the firs cry and no one seems to be realising in the end you pay the compensation yourself.
The prices just keep increasing.

I personally consider a family vacation to DisneyWorld as a "huge" expense, like with any other Huge expense I do a significant amount of research to make sure I am getting what I want and also to fully understand what I am paying for. That being said you would not go in to an electrionics store and just by anything without know something about it.

I booked my APril 08 trip last April, first I started with room only --then that Sunday in August 07 when the 2008 Packages were announced(on here other Disney planning sites) but most of all on Disney world dot com!! It was there I researched and then called to confirm and verify what I was buying. I totally feel that those who feel "taken advantage of" were in fact not very good consumers by not researching, and asking the necessary question.

I know some may flame me for being honest here-- but lets face it what you get is what you put into it!!

SO for my APril trip in 24 days!!! I plan on having the best time with my family on the DlxDDP--for 8 nights/8 days at Pop knowing That I have to still Tip (already in tip envelopes) Happy as a clam!! I did my research and questioning!!

dbelmo

Not at all. But it is the customer's responsibility to know what they're buying.

I love Disney, but really. How much responsibility does one have to take? Getting info. from Disney should be enough :confused3 . Why should the average consumer have to go to many other sources to get the real story about the dining plan? Its poor customer service - I would feel that way if any corporation made this mistake. If a hotel rep. told me a free full breakfast was included in my stay and they gave me only donuts, I would feel tricked. Would it be my fault, because I didn't scan the web to make sure it wasn't a trick or a mistake? Isn't there any level of responsibility on Disney's part to have correct info. for their customers?

And not responding to an e-mail for 6 weeks is also poor customer service.

Another thought. I now tell my friends to not even bother with Disney's website for the most part, and don't ever totally believe a CM on the phone. I think that's a sad commentary on Disney's customer service.

(I do of course tell them that once you're there, its wonderful - if you have a little knowledge - gleaned from other sources of course ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter