No offense to anyone..

If the Christmas tree has to be a "holiday" tree... why doesnt the Menora (pardon my spelling if it's wrong) have to become the "holiday candles" ??? I dont think its fair.

Exactly, I don't understand why Christmas is being criticized so much when all these other religions go on without any comment.

Why make a big deal out of it all of a sudden, anyway? Years ago, they didn't have this problem. Heck, they didn't have this problem last year! It's just getting to be totally ridiculous...!

Christmas gets these types of responses cause it's treated like a national holiday. While the majority of America may be Christian, we're still a secular nation. If I were Jewish, I might be frustrated by having Christmas off but having to work over Hanukkah. The American way of life is not very easy for those of other faiths. I see nothing wrong with generic holiday greetings, especially in public places. Wearing certain colors, yes that is ridiculous, because some people just plain like the color red. But I'm sorry, Christmas, along with all other religious holidays, just doesn't belong in our schools. It's something to celebrate at home or in your place of worship. It's a personal choice and belief system that just doesn't have much place in the public sector. For example, put up a nativity scene on your lawn, but not in the public park. This is just a guess, but something tells me if that "holiday tree" was replaced with a menorah, lots of people would be not so happy about it...

but what do I know? I'm just an athiest! :rotfl2:

soccercruiser87 said:
the whole thing about not being able to wear red and green is beyond ridiculous and its just..not right..its like saying you cant wear orange and black for halloween or blue/red/white for the 4th of july, etc.. Also one thing that annoys me and gets me mad is when i see people say "X-Mas" instead of "Christmas". Christmas isnt that long of a word, how much longer would it take for someone to write "Christ" instead of "X". People need to know the real meaning of Christmas and its not just for presents and such. Christ is deffinetly the reason for the whole Christmas season.

About the X-mas thing get's me VERY mad! ONe time my dad pack up some Christmas stuff and he wrote X-mas instead of Christmas and I totally freaked out on him and made him change it so yea..

soccercruiser87 said:
the whole thing about not being able to wear red and green is beyond ridiculous and its just..not right..its like saying you cant wear orange and black for halloween or blue/red/white for the 4th of july, etc.. Also one thing that annoys me and gets me mad is when i see people say "X-Mas" instead of "Christmas". Christmas isnt that long of a word, how much longer would it take for someone to write "Christ" instead of "X". People need to know the real meaning of Christmas and its not just for presents and such. Christ is deffinetly the reason for the whole Christmas season.
Xmas means Christmas. In the greek alphabet Chi (begining syllable of christmas) is X so X became a symbol of christ's name. Xmas is the same thing as Christmas.

What happened to the first amendment? Religious freedom and freedom of speech should not become things of the past. Our country was created due to groups of people wanting to do whatever they want and worship whomever they want. I agree with the whole "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" thing, but going as far as banning red and green clothing is insane. And the whole thing with changing the words to a traditional Christmas song, especially one that is religious, is just wrong. We should all respect the traditions and beliefs of other religions. I do think that Christmas is too publicized, but they should not take away from it. The same should go for all the other religions out there.

My daughter calls the whole season "Christmahanukwanzakah". Everyone laughs when they hear it.

You can't change the fact that Christmas was the season that started them all. :(

Mickeysooner said:
My daughter calls the whole season "Christmahanukwanzakah". Everyone laughs when they hear it.

You can't change the fact that Christmas was the season that started them all. :(

I can't believe you really think that Christmas started all these other holidays! Do you really think that things such as Hanukkah and Ramadan were started in attempt to make up for lack of Christmas?

We have guaranteed religious freedom in the United States. That means that you have the freedom to celebrate whatever holiday you like. However, that also means that others should not have to have other religions forced upon them, especially in the public sector.

Now Disney is a private company, so they can say whatever they want. However, I think it's great that they choose Happy Holidays over Merry Christmas. It includes everyone! I still can not see why being inclusive is a bad thing! And if you're so religious that an omission of Christmas offends you, then wouldn't you be looking for confirmation and celebration of your faith in a church, rather than in an amusement park?

I actually agree with you Ashes. Jews were around before Christians and Catholics. You can't say that Christmas was THE holiday. I am christian, and I do celebrate Christmas, but I still respect all the other holidays and to me it doesn't matter who celebrates what or which one came first, just as long as everyone gets the freedom to celebrate what they want.

BandGeek911 said:
...Some people are way too sensitive on this subject. I just think its all stupid lol.

i completely agree. and the media playing to a very few peoples taking offense is just going to inflame the situation more! Its almost like the media is trying to get christmas banned! :mad: :confused3

Ashes8380 said:
...But I'm sorry, Christmas, along with all other religious holidays, just doesn't belong in our schools. QUOTE]
i agree with everything you said but the above quote.
its seems impossible to remove christianity from school, so why not add all other religions in that area?

Well, I guess I need to explain myself. I have no problem with religion being taught in a historical and fact based context in schools. For example, in Global studies in high school I was required to learn about Christianity, Judaism, Daoism, Islam, Buddhism, etc..... But it was in a historical context, and obviously religion has had a huge impact on the historical development of our world.

However, I still don't agree with teaching it as a moral guide to life. I do not think a student should go into school and have to sing "Silent Night" for religious purposes. No, I don't think they should change the words either. The song should just be left out of school if it's functioning in a religious way. This is something I have to grapple with every day as a music teacher. As many of you might know, all of the standard classical music that is taught Bach, Beethoven, etc...) all has its roots in Roman Catholic church music. Therefore, it's hard to teach music history or represent music from various historical periods without using sacred music. I do think it's okay to use medieval church music to illustrate various musicial principles. However, it is never okay to use it to teach morals, personal beliefs, etc... This is a touchy subject with many people, and you can bet if I use a Christianity based song in my classroom, that I make sure to use traditional music from other faiths, locations, and religions of the world as well. However, it is all done in a secular light. The lyrics are ignored as the musical techniques are what is being taught, not the meaning of the words. If I can find a secular alternative to teach what I want to teach, I always do so.

Yes, it's complicated. But I just don't think that students should be taught religion in a non-fact based context in public schools. If you would like that to be taught, you can choose to either homeschool or send your child to private schools. But I do agree that banning Christmas but allowing Hanukkah is pointless, it defeats the entire purpose.

holy cow long post. I guess this is just something I think about a lot due to the nature of what I teach. Holiday concerts anyone? Yeah, it can get REALLY messy, but I try my best, and know a lot of others do too.

I totally agree with you on that. Religion can be educational. In 11th grade I took a Comparative Religion course as my history credit. We learned about I'd say at least 12 or 13 different religions. That kind of stuff is ok. But anything pressing religion on a person or group I dont believe is fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter