No More Peanuts on Southwest

I am with you 100%. There are all sorts of allergies out there, food and other items. Do we all demand that when we go out in public that these areas are allergen free and cater to everything and everyone.....of course not, so why are planes any different? I don't eat often on planes, but when I do it is usually a nut mix/granola mix/cracker with nuts in it. Protein is great and these things pack easily into my backpack. Definitely First World Problems....

I am the same way. I grab a trail mix or something with peanut butter for high protein also for long flights since I am coming from the West Coast. If someone came on and asked me not to eat them because of an allergy I would be very respectful about it and honor there wishes as I would not want to cause any harm to anyone. It is a very slippery line but again one day it could easily be something else.

I am with you 100%. There are all sorts of allergies out there, food and other items. Do we all demand that when we go out in public that these areas are allergen free and cater to everything and everyone.....of course not, so why are planes any different? I don't eat often on planes, but when I do it is usually a nut mix/granola mix/cracker with nuts in it. Protein is great and these things pack easily into my backpack. Definitely First World Problems....

Well, for one, a plane is an incredibly tight, enclosed space with literally nowhere else for people to go.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/07/09/southwest-airlines-ditching-peanuts/

My DGD has a peanut allergy and my daughter was just not comfortable flying SW even when their fares are the cheapest. Won't be an issue next trip :-)
Not to be nitpicky but it will still be an issue as far as comfortability flying due to allergy.

The exposure is still very much there as you cannot anticipate who will be bringing something on board.

Only advice I can give is to have your daughter do as she does for other airlines as on SWA should she opt to fly with them.

Great news. There are so many people with peanut allergies that it’s probably best for everyone just to discontinue them.
As far as I know the airlines that have stopped serving peanuts have not prohibited items containing peanuts to be brought on board so those who have allergies to peanuts should be just as vigilant as they were prior to a particular airline stopping serving them.

Even if your flight was to be "peanut free" you have no idea who was in the seat prior to you or what they ate. Could have had peanuts, could have had any of a number of foods that people are allergic to. Expecting the world to cater to your needs or problems is not right. IMO, everyone has needs and problems and singling out something that specific is a very slippery slope.

Because peanuts are the number one food that causes anaphylactic shock leading to death. It only makes sense for an airline to stop serving everyone peanuts or tree nuts as a snack. If nobody on the plane has an epi pen, that plane will need to land somewhere to get that person medical attention which will affect everyone on board.

I don't think airlines need to necessarily ban people bringing their own peanut products onto a plane. I just think there are safer snacks out there to give to everyone.

Because peanuts are the number one food that causes anaphylactic shock leading to death. It only makes sense for an airline to stop serving everyone peanuts or tree nuts as a snack. If nobody on the plane has an epi pen, that plane will need to land somewhere to get that person medical attention which will affect everyone on board.

I don't think airlines need to necessarily ban people bringing their own peanut products onto a plane. I just think there are safer snacks out there to give to everyone.
I understand that there are people that are allergic. But if someone is deathly allergic, shouldn't they be carrying an epi pen of their own?

Now, I wouldn't want someone to have to use it, but that is why anyone with a life threatening allergy should carry one.

I carry one for bee stings. It is always in my purse and my family knows where I keep one at home.

Well, for one, a plane is an incredibly tight, enclosed space with literally nowhere else for people to go.

So as someone with asthma and allergies that are set off by scent, should we then ban perfume or anything scented being brought on board? Do we tell people to not pet their cats and dogs before leaving their houses?

Who ever thought showing compassion for people could be controversial!

And if you can't understand that removing immediate availability to a product will naturally decrease the amount of that product in a location, I'm not sure I can help you.

Not a single person here has advocated for banning ALL peanuts on planes. That's impossible, and frankly asking too much. But it's NOT too much to ask that airlines don't simultaneously pass out hundreds of bags filled with one of the most common allergens.

I pray none of you ever experience having a family member or friend go into anaphylactic shock because of exposure to an allergen. But if you do, maybe your perspective on things will change. It certainly changed mine.

Last edited:
I understand that there are people that are allergic. But if someone is deathly allergic, shouldn't they be carrying an epi pen of their own?

When peanuts are distributed to everyone, there is always the risk that people are eating them for the first time. Maybe younger children are trying them as a snack, whatever.... The point is, there could be people who don't even know they are allergic to peanuts who are trying them. That's not something you want to discover, flying over the ocean.

Who ever thought showing compassion for people could be controversial!

And if you can't understand that removing immediate availability to a product will naturally decrease the amount of that product in a location, I'm not sure I can help you. Not a single person here has advocated for banning ALL peanuts on planes.

I pray none of you ever experience having a family member or friend go into anaphylactic shock because of exposure to an allergen. But if you do, maybe your perspective on things will change. It certainly changed mine.

Sorry that you had to experience that and I hope I don't nor I am on a flight that does. I don't want harm to anyone.

So as someone with asthma and allergies that are set off by scent, should we then ban perfume or anything scented being brought on board? Do we tell people to not pet their cats and dogs before leaving their houses?

Comparing a life threatening peanut allergy to someone who has touched their pet hours ago seems kind of silly, but I wouldn't be opposed to an airline making some scent rules or posting "common-scents" reminders. If it's going to help people enjoy their flight and worry less about potential asthma triggers, why not?

My perspective on this stuff changed markedly when people with life-threatening allergies entered my life, and I quickly learned it's not that hard to make small modifications so that other people can be happy and healthy.

We are fortunate not to have anyone in our family with those type of allergies, but I am still of the opinion that giving up peanuts on a flight is a miniscule change in my life with absolutely no negative affect. My trips will not feel less enjoyable to me over a packet of peanuts. But a packet of peanuts can kill someone else. And when I contrast those two things, giving up peanuts when flying, without so much as the smallest complaint, is the clear and obvious thing for me to do.

Now, I wouldn't want someone to have to use it, but that is why anyone with a life threatening allergy should carry one.

I carry one for bee stings. It is always in my purse and my family knows where I keep one at home.

Allergies can appear at any time, just because someone ate peanuts in the past or was stung by a previously does not preclude them from a severe reaction at any time.

I'm glad they are banning peanuts for many reasons, but mostly because I luv their pretzels!

The last several times I have flow SW over the past 5 years it has only been pretzels. I didn't even know they had peanuts on flights anymore.

Based on my experiences, I thought they'd already discontinued peanuts. The last several times I've flown Southwest, the flight attendants have come around with a big basket with about 5 different choices of snacks. Peanuts weren't one of the choices. If the flight wasn't too full, they might let you choose 2 different snacks. I thought it was great! Between that and the fact that they serve Dr Pepper, it's Southwest for me!
Just curious...how long was your flight? On longer flights Southwest offers the snack basket (I think longer is over 3)

This, too, will be unpopular;

According to Food Allergy Research and Education between 150 and 200 people die each year from food allergy. About half (or 75 to 100 per year) from reactions to peanuts. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention there were 18 documented deaths from peanut allergies between 1996 and 2016. Not one on an airplane.

It's crazy to read that it is estimated that 25,000 people are killed by dogs each year. Couldn't find states on how many on an airplane. Perhaps Southwest should look at their dob policy...

Even if your flight was to be "peanut free" you have no idea who was in the seat prior to you or what they ate. Could have had peanuts, could have had any of a number of foods that people are allergic to. Expecting the world to cater to your needs or problems is not right. IMO, everyone has needs and problems and singling out something that specific is a very slippery slope.

I don't hear people here expecting the world to cater to their needs. Wow. Every school now has peanut free rooms or tables/sections of the lunchroom. It is a huge issue. Reading about people upset because they will miss their tiny bag of peanuts is ludicrous, imo. It's impossible to clean every inch of a plane to make it safe for those with severe allergies, but if making it easier for people to travel and not worry about an overload of peanuts, why not? Compassion and kindness, people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter