No Buy August

1 - $0 :woohoo:
2 - $8.74 Walmart groceries, $2 Walmart (newspaper), $13.06 Raising Canes (fast food), $4.98 McDonald's (McFlurries) [$28.78 total]
3 - $0 :woohoo:

Groceries: $200 ~ $191.26
Eating Out: $100 ~ $81.96
Gas & Car: $60 ~ $60
Miscellaneous: $250 ~ $248
Total: $610 ~ $581.22

Today I'm hoping to stick to my $0 spending. We're going to the free movie at the local theater and then to the pool.

8/1 $0 (DH $31)
8/2 $2.50-DD, $127 groceries, $12 Staples, $71 Famous Footwear
8/3 $1 (DD6 ice cream)
8/4

Expected purchases this month:
sneakers for me
sneakers for both DDs- $35, -
school clothes for DDs (only if a good sale since they can start with summer clothes)
school supplies (once we get the lists)- $12, $24 (messenger bag)
school shoes for DDs - $10, -

Good luck everyone!

Aug. 1 $0
Aug. 2 $0
Aug. 3 $110 into the disney fund

Today I'm going with my MIL to look for a new car for her. As it turns out one of my favorite cars in the world, the lexus rx450h, is on her list of cars to look at today since she can trade in her clunker for it (the lexus is a hybrid).

I will probably never own a car that expensive, but I can certainly enjoy looking at them. They'll probably kick me out of the dealership for drooling all over the seats :rotfl:

I had another $0 day yesterday and today should be another one as I don't plan on doing anything after work except for going home and cleaning house.

8/1 - $0
8/2 - $0
8/3 - $0

Huh. I thought I posted in here yesterday but I guess it didn't post. I made myself a spreadsheet to track spending for this month. I think that will help me keep track better on a daily basis, and remember to write down the little things.

My exceptions are:
- Dress for my cousin's wedding. I'm in the bridal party, but we can each choose our own style of dress as long as it's the right color (David's Bridal apple red). So I'm hoping to find a dress on eBay. I can go to the store to try on a few sizes, and my mom can do basic alterations. Goal is under $100.
- Haircut for me. I might push this off until next month, but if I do it the budget is $50.

So far this month I've spent $34.71 on groceries and $0.85 on a soda.

1 - $0 :woohoo:
2 - $8.74 Walmart groceries, $2 Walmart (newspaper), $13.06 Raising Canes (fast food), $4.98 McDonald's (McFlurries) [$28.78 total]
3 - $0 :woohoo:
4 - $29.30 Rouses (groceries), $56.64 Target, $10.17 Quiznos, $0.83 Walgreens, $4.39 Office Depot [$101.33 total]

Groceries: $200 ~ $161.96
Eating Out: $100 ~ $71.79
Gas & Car: $60 ~ $60
Miscellaneous: $250 ~ $188.14
Total: $610 ~ $479.89

I also bought (from my exceptions list and taken from savings) 4 kitchen chairs for my table and an Aerobed = $278.32 total.

I know that the Coleman ones are cheaper but I've had horrid luck with those, and I have a stained concrete floor (it sounds weird but looks nice) so I need the mattress to NOT deflate at 2 am every night. Ouch! :rotfl:

I am not even going to write the amount of $ we spent today, but DH got his new TV and TV stand. We were planning on it, but still it hurt to part with the money.

8/1- Lunch $17, Ikea $30, Night out $93- Total $140
8/2- CVS $130
8/3- $0
8/4- A LOT

Planning on tomorrow and Thurs. being $0

I think I need to get better at saying no. I spent $9 at the free movie to buy snacks for DDs. Other than that I didn't spend anything. Actually I did spend $10 in copay for 2 rx but I also got 2 $25 gift cards with them at CVS :cool1:

8/1 $0 (DH $31)
8/2 $2.50-DD, $127 groceries, $12 Staples, $71 Famous Footwear
8/3 $1 (DD6 ice cream)
8/4 $9 at the "free movie", $10 copay at CVS but got $50 in gift cards

Expected purchases this month:
sneakers for me
sneakers for both DDs- $35, -
school clothes for DDs (only if a good sale since they can start with summer clothes)
school supplies (once we get the lists)- $12, $24 (messenger bag)
school shoes for DDs - $10, -

I think I need to get better at saying no. I spent $9 at the free movie to buy snacks for DDs. Other than that I didn't spend anything. Actually I did spend $10 in copay for 2 rx but I also got 2 $25 gift cards with them at CVS :cool1:

The "free" movie can be tough. Luckily, I have a friend who sneaks in practically and entire snack bar and I go very early to get the very limited tickets.

So far for August (just tracking spending this month):
8/1 - $0 (listed 9 things on eBay - one will definitely sell for at least $58)
8/2 - $0 (had a $2.99 BIN ebay!)
8/3 - $3.46 @ post office, got $9.88 at the consignment shop, spent $29 @ fabric store (pattern mag & pleating for DD smocked dress), $2.79 @ Walmart, $3.98 at TRU on pull-ups (had $30 worth of gift cards & a coupon!), $8 on Disney Princess panties @ Target, $9 worth of food and snacks while doing all this
8/4 $0.27 for lunch (I had a $5 GC to a local sub shop - treated myself before a dentist appt)

I spent $50 at the dentist, BUT I don't count that (necessity and I have Aflac so I'll be getting that $ back).

Anyone else staring down an upcoming tax-free weekend??? :scared1:

Total extra IN: $70.87
Total discretionary OUT: $48.50

Current total: $22.37

Aug. 4 $51,687 New lexus Rx450h for me.

Kidding!!!

Seriously, MIL and I left the dealership feeling completely ripped off and hosed, and we didn't even buy anything :rotfl:. I now totally appreciate my paid-for car. Sheesh are new cars expensive!

Evidently cash for clunkers was suspended today so we had a next to impossible time pinning the salesguy down on the price-his best out the door was msrp+tax tag and title. Um, yeah, no thanks. Now that MIL has driven the cars she's going to go through Costco or USAA to get the best price, since the salesguy couldn't do that for her.

For real, though, I did get DDs' shoes (tap and hip hop) and dance clothes (clearance at Ross-I really scored on those) so:

Aug. 1 $0
Aug. 2 $0
Aug. 3 $110
Aug. 4 $93, $38

Actually I did spend $10 in copay for 2 rx but I also got 2 $25 gift cards with them at CVS :cool1:

At Target today I got a $5 gift card for buying 2 bags of dog food. So, I got two 8 lb bags of puppy food (Purina) for 9.99 each (on sale from $10.49), then I got a free $5 gift card. I felt pretty good about that...especially because I already have a $10 gift card for Target that I forgot to bring...AND, they were out of the drapes I needed (we bought one when we needed two packages ...oops) and they cost 17.99 so now they will be almost free by the time I get them! :cool1:

Anyone else staring down an upcoming tax-free weekend??? :scared1:

Sort of...there will be no state tax here in Louisiana this weekend, so you can save 4%. However, there WILL be parish [county] tax, and that runs about 5%. If I had a big purchase to make, this would be a good weekend to do it. A computer monitor is on my exceptions list for this month, so maybe I'll get that this weekend. :confused3 Otherwise, I expect the stores to be busy and I plan to stay far far away!

Aug. 4 $51,687 New lexus Rx450h for me.

Kidding!!!

Seriously, MIL and I left the dealership feeling completely ripped off and hosed, and we didn't even buy anything :rotfl:. I now totally appreciate my paid-for car. Sheesh are new cars expensive!

Evidently cash for clunkers was suspended today so we had a next to impossible time pinning the salesguy down on the price-his best out the door was msrp+tax tag and title. Um, yeah, no thanks. Now that MIL has driven the cars she's going to go through Costco or USAA to get the best price, since the salesguy couldn't do that for her.

LOL!

I bought a new car last month. I got a Honda Fit Sport. I am loving it! :goodvibes

My DH did the majority of the financial legwork for me. I knew exactly what I wanted, but didn't know how to get it. We were able to get a better price than either Costco or USAA could offer, and we got better financing than what the dealer could offer. We used Capital One Auto (we googled auto loans to compare rates (or bankrate?); they were the lowest) and we emailed a bunch of local dealers to ask them what they could offer on the car I wanted. The only car dealer we set foot in was the one we bought from. Salespeople on the lots are paid on commission, the internet manager (the one who will give you the price on email) is paid on how many cars they sell (or so we read online in many places), so they are more motivated to give you a better price - especially if you tell them you got a lower price from another dealer.

So I blew $3.82 on breakfast this morning. But at least is was a BOGO offer so I have breakfast waiting for me at work. I also bought a coke for $1.25 - blah.

I picked up groceries today, got lots of great deals. Spent $26.44 which pleased me, we are now officially jam packed full of food in the fridge and freezer and I have milk for next week too. I'm hoping to have a bread and fruit only trip next week :goodvibes

I also spent $109 in start up costs for a little business but I've decided not to count that in my personal $$. I bought it with my 3.25% cc so I'll eat the interest on it until I make enough to pay the start ups :)

Groceries - 147.56/200
Eating out - 18.93/50
Cats - 30
Baby Loot - 44.13/60
Mama Loot - 32.32/40
Gas - 60
YardSale cash - 50
Misc - 200

August 4 - $31.51 $99.38/690
August 3 - $1! $67.87/$690
August 2 - zero! $66.87/ $690
August 1 - $66.87/ $690

8/1-$0
8/2-$0
8/3-$75 groceries
8/4-$35 petsmart, $25 Sam's

I took advantage of my mom being here to have her do some shopping for me. I'm staying put per my surgeon until I get the staples out on Thursday. I know some people are right back to work within a day or two after surgery, but dang, my tummy is still black and blue. The surgeon said it may be worse because of how long my attack was last week, and how bad it was when he got it out, but still... I'm a little stir crazy. Forgive my ramblings.;) blah, blah, blah...

I may stop at Redbox tomorrow for a movie when I take DS to preschool. My mom left me Australia from her Netflix when she left today and it made my day much better to have a movie.

I'm staying put per my surgeon until I get the staples out on Thursday. I know some people are right back to work within a day or two after surgery, but dang, my tummy is still black and blue. The surgeon said it may be worse because of how long my attack was last week, and how bad it was when he got it out, but still... I'm a little stir crazy.

Feel better soon, Susie!

I ended up spending a little bit yesterday. DD and I went out to dinner with a friend. I did use a coupon so that helped me out some. Today should be a good day.

8/1 - $0
8/2 - $0
8/3 - $0
8/4 - $14.85 (dinner)

I can't wait to get back on my regular schedule. Normally I buy groceries on Wednesday, and gas up the car on Saturday or Sunday, and that's it. Very little buying due to our very tight budget. But because of back to school I've had to buy something every single day so far this month!!! :scared1:

School is back in session now and it's Wednesday (grocery day!), so hopefully there are lots of $0 days to come. :thumbsup2

8/1: -$27.46 grocery
8/2: -$3.05 grocery
8/3: -$0.85 soda, +$20.00 sold old cell phone
8/4: -$0.85 soda, -$20.00 laundry
8/5: +$50.00 sold co-sleeper, -$2.99 comic, -$1.75 soda

Total: +$13.05

Ava - I used to live in the Bronx and I found it was very difficult to do $0 days there due to the lifestyle of a lot of small shopping trips and walking/mass transit everywhere and popping into places to get a drink/snacks.

Today was GOING to be a $0, stay home day, but now I'm going out to meet a friend at the Aquarium. I have a membership to the aquarium will be free, but I'll need to pay for parking and I might go out and get beignets or lunch afterward, so now it won't be a $0 but that's okay. I'd rather go out and have a nice time within my budget than letting my budget control me. ;)

Today was GOING to be a $0, stay home day, but now I'm going out to meet a friend at the Aquarium. I have a membership to the aquarium will be free, but I'll need to pay for parking and I might go out and get beignets or lunch afterward, so now it won't be a $0 but that's okay. I'd rather go out and have a nice time within my budget than letting my budget control me. ;)

I think it's less about the budget "controlling you" and more about planning ahead with the spending.

If I looked at it like my budget was controlling me, I'd resent it and I'd fail in no time.

I try and look at it like I'm making decisions to spend some days, and figuring out how what will happen money-wise before I go out.

If I had to always stay at home to have $0 days I'd go nuts. I do try and plan days where we go to parks and libraries (although since they switched from renewal every two weeks from every three weeks i keep getting fines :headache:), and bringing snacks with us so we don't get tempted by mcdonalds, so we can go do stuff without spending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter