No Buy August

I'm in :wave:

This will be my 39th week tracking my weekly discretionary spending in an excel spreadsheet I created for myself. :)

My goal for August is to keep total spending for the household, not including fixed expenses like insurance, mortgage, and heating/ac/water bills, under $2,000 for a family of four.

Expenses that I will have to work around this month include younger DD's birthday, and tennis and skating lessons for other dd's. (those are definitely discretionary).

I tried to go Cold Turkey in July but had some unexpected issues with extended family crop up, and anticipated spending in August for back to school turned out to occur in July, so I ended up going over in July because of the back to school shopping.

I'm thinking I may try Cold Turkey (which is how many days in a row can you do $0 and literally buy absolutely nothing that you don't NEED), but I have to think about it a little more. Maybe I'll do a hybrid turkey and try for as many $0 days but stick with the original $2k or under budget...

I think it's taken me about 30 weeks of doing written budgeting for me to actually begin to feel comfortable with it. Even with the family stuff in July and the back to school stuff, I still sit down at the computer with my receipts and plug them into the spreadsheet before I do anything else, then stick the receipts in a big manilla envelope. Then at the end of the month if I don't need any of the receipts again I shred them.

I've found if the salespeople put receipts in the bag I lose them (how convenient ;)) so I always hold my wallet open and stick the receipt directly in my wallet so it's there when I get home.

My favorite annoyance of the week in now when I asked for a receipt and the salesperson would still stick it in the bag, and then I'd get snippy and say "can I please have my receipt?" and make them fish it out. For God's sake, is it that hard to hand it to me? :confused3

August 1: $0

I'm so glad cold turkey, no buy July is over.:cheer2:

My big treat this month is a 10 day PH no expire pass:cheer2::cheer2:

At $20 per week that's about half a year's worth of "fun money" but I've got it in my Mickey bank and this is the day to spend. (I also "bonus money" -- half of what I earn doing focus groups, mystery shopping, etc).

Last night I had friends over for drinks on the deck.

SO for the worst first day ever. . .

8/1 $526

Hey there everybody, my goal is the same as PP, as many $0 days as possible.

Thought I would have one today but was canning and needed one thing...phooey.

8-1 $1.91 Amish Store

Count me in this month. The past few months were very high due to pre-vacation spending (camping, WDW, the shore) and only 1 of the trips actually happened... what a waste, we didn't need that tent this year after all:sad2: July started out well but ended up pretty high with all sorts of spending. This month I want to force myself back into line and maybe you guys can help. Peer pressure isn't always a bad thing:goodvibes

Today we got gas & coffee at Wawa and I paid a neighborhood kid for mowing my lawn while we were away. I have a freezer full of food so maybe I can get away with zero grocery trips? I know that's a high goal but I can try.

I do not have a budget in mind yet for day to day stuff but will work on one ASAP.

Today- me $0, DH about $31. He went to the natural food store for some gluten-free stuff that we can't get at the grocery store. I put off my grocery shopping until tomorrow because I want the coupons from the Sunday paper first. I made my lists for two stores. One store is doubling up to 4 $1 coupons so I want to cut mine before I go. We had frozen pizza and leftover salad for dinner. I also made choc chip cookie dough (made one for each of us and froze the rest) and a batch of brownies while I was baking the pizza. I'm going to freeze most of the brownies.

Tomorrow will not be a $o day due to grocery shopping but I plan on sticking to my list.

Expected purchases this month:
sneakers for me
sneakers for both DDs
school clothes for DDs (only if a good sale since they can start with summer clothes)
school supplies (once we get the lists)
school shoes for DDs

I am in again and have tightened the budget just a bit more so I can replenish my emergency fund which I dipped into last month to replace my broken eye glasses.

Total discretionary budget for August is $420

Groceries = $120
Auto/Gas = 75
Giving = $50
Medical = $50
Eating Out = $25
Misc. = $100
==========================================================

8/1 = $0 :yay:

Okay, after several months of not following through with this and a big move at the beginning of July (well, June 30th), I think I'm ready to try this again!

I'm at a new job with a new salary, in a new state, with a new dog and a new car, so this month is going to be interesting to see how much things cost. (Last month I was still on my old salary, and bills are just now coming in for things like electricity.)

My budget for food, gas & car maint., dog, and miscellaneous is about $600 for the month combined. I'll have to double check the budget I made last week.

Possible exceptions for this month (to come out of savings):
-Aerobed for guests (coming in November...looking for a good deal)
-Chairs for our kitchen table (we have none)
-Photo printer (I have one but want a better one...looking for a good deal)
-Desktop computer monitor (again...not urgent so looking for a good deal)

1 - $0 :woohoo:

I spent $26 at the farmer's market, $7.68 at Lane Bryant on 4 shirts (I love the $15 off of $15 coupons!), $25 on my Mom's birthday dinner, $4.38 on the baby's "half" birthday dvd and $11.49 on the dress she didn't need but I soooo wanted!

So the groceries, birthday food and movie were expected. The shirts were also. So I'm off $11.49 on the first day but for me that is still pretty good :rotfl:

Groceries - 174/200
Eating out - 25/50
Cats - 30
Baby Loot - 44.13/60
Mama Loot - 32.32/40
Gas - 60
YardSale cash - 50
Misc - 200

$66.87/ $690

We close on our first house on Sept 1st. So I REALLY need Aug to be a no buy...So I'll be joining ya for the first time!!!! :cool1:

300~Groceries
60~ photopass share/photobook
200~gas
$0~eating out!!!! (this might be hard)
500~Bills
1000~misc house buying stuff (not like paint or ooooh I want that for the house...but like inspection/appraisal etc)

Even though I ALREADY failed today :-( I really did good sticking on to a budget...I really only bought on thing...probably could have waited till Sept but I wanted to make sure I got it for our upcoming trip! (it was a cars carry on 14.99

1 $234 groceries...this SHOULD last me the whole month minus milk, bread, etc, -14.99 Car carry on for DS.

I'll be joining you for the first time, too!! I'm really overwhelmed with our spending and lack of a budget...so I'll take this day by day...thanks for the inspiration!

August 2009:
1- $5.85 McDonald's (Happy Meals for kids before going swimming with friends...should have planned ahead!! Oh well...) :sad2:

I am going to give this a try as well this month. Yesterday I went and purchased a $25 gift card for both Walmart and our local grocery store for food purchases. I also purchased a $50 gift card at the same grocery store for gas. That should be all I need to purchase for this pay period. I have already set aside money for all my bills. This leaves $130 left over.....which I am going to try and save $100. I am planning a HUGE trip to WDW in June 2011 in which I am taking my 4 nieces who will be graduating from high school. I need to start saving and planning now and I have decided to make a dedicated effort at it.

I am looking forward to getting to know those on the thread and sharing ideas on how to better handles a very tight budget.

Linda

The only way I can have a $0 day is if I don't leave the house.

Yesterday (Aug 1) was a "no buy" but we went to a double graduation party, so that was 2 grad cards with money in them. So, I didn't buy anything, but I spent some money.

DH and I have NEVER been on a budget, but for the next 4 months, I am going to try to trim the excess spending WAY down.

Okay, after several months of not following through with this and a big move at the beginning of July (well, June 30th), I think I'm ready to try this again!

I'm at a new job with a new salary, in a new state, with a new dog and a new car, so this month is going to be interesting to see how much things cost. (Last month I was still on my old salary, and bills are just now coming in for things like electricity.)

My budget for food, gas & car maint., dog, and miscellaneous is about $600 for the month combined. I'll have to double check the budget I made last week.

Possible exceptions for this month (to come out of savings):
-Aerobed for guests (coming in November...looking for a good deal)
-Chairs for our kitchen table (we have none)
-Photo printer (I have one but want a better one...looking for a good deal)
-Desktop computer monitor (again...not urgent so looking for a good deal)

1 - $0 :woohoo:

Okay I found the budget sheet I made last week:
Groceries: $200
Eating Out: $100
Gas & Car: $60
Miscellaneous: $250
Total: $610

Yesterday did not start me off well. DH and I met my parents for lunch at whole foods, then we went to IKEA, and then we went out for drinks, and then we went to dinner, OY!. Today I plan on going to CVS for a few things, but that should be my only expense today. Tomorrow and Tuesday should be $0

8/1- Lunch $17, Ikea $30, Night out $93- Total $140:scared1:
8/2- CVS $130

Count me in! I need to track our expenses for a month or 2 so I can make up a budget. I have several planned expenses for this month, including:
*DD's 10th b-day party
*tickets to Little House on the Prarie Broadway show (mom's Christmas gift)
*water park day - 1 or 2
*girlfriends b-days - 2
*hair appt.
*a few school supplies left, and a few school clothes for kids

Going to plan a menu for food for the week, hoping to use a lot of stuff in freezer/pantry

Aug 1st - not so good! - 30$ valentino's w/ family
- 35$ matinee movie tickets
- 5$ movie snacks from dollar store
- 75$ school supplies for 3
- 20$ socks & undies for kids
- 20$ toilet paper
- 20$ sandals for dh
- 10$ beer for dh, 2$ magazine for
me, and 10$ groceries
Aug 2nd -

Today will be a zero day :hippie:

Groceries - 174/200
Eating out - 25/50
Cats - 30
Baby Loot - 44.13/60
Mama Loot - 32.32/40
Gas - 60
YardSale cash - 50
Misc - 200

August 1 - $66.87/ $690
August 2 - zero! $66.87/ $690

I am in, but I have not finished my August budget due to gallbladder surgery on Friday. However, when I try and pull out my spreadsheet to look at my exemptions, the painkillers make my brain fuzzy, so I guess I'll just go for $0 days. But, I am not out shopping, that's for sure.;)

8/1-$0
8/2-$0

neatokimmo~ Holy Cow! Your Natalie has totally blossomed into such a little lady! She's absolutely beautiful and I see she's got one heck of a Disney trip coming up! :goodvibes

Aug 2- $41.60 for ds skechers shoes for school - tried on in the mall yesterday but ordered online w/10$ off coupon & free shipping. No more for today - staying home, omelets, toast & strawberries 4 dinner

neatokimmo~ Holy Cow! Your Natalie has totally blossomed into such a little lady! She's absolutely beautiful and I see she's got one heck of a Disney trip coming up! :goodvibes

I can't believe she is 2.5 now! I've been telling her about the trip for a year now and she finally understands that she'll meet Mickey Mouse and that he IS the size of mommy! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter