Nightime parade at AK

jekajekalynn

DIS Veteran
I don't know where I heard this.. but is it true that they are thinking of doing/making a nightime parade for AK in the (near) future?

It's a rumor that has floated around. Based in part on the fact that a table service restaurant is finally going into the park (even if Disney doesn't operate it).

Nothing has really come out one way or the other, so I doubt that it will happen in the near future.

The only way Animal Kingdom can become a full day park is with either an AMAZING night time parade or a night time shore. Unfortunately with out the ability to use fireworks or other loud noises this will be hard to accomplish.

The rumor is that the parade will be a lantern light parade thats a bit quieter than other parades for animal reasons

1) Huh?
2) Why a parade in a park that is useless after dark?
3) There is nothing to see or do except Everest and ITTBAB, or buy souvenirs.

1) Huh?
2) Why a parade in a park that is useless after dark?
3) There is nothing to see or do except Everest and ITTBAB, or buy souvenirs.

Festival of the Lion King?
Finding Nemo the Musical?
Dinosour?
Chester and Hesters? (not that I like it but it is something to do)
Pocahontas show?
Eating Dinner at Rainforest Cafe?
Eating Dinner at the new Ying and Yak restaurant?
Kali River Rapids? (on hot summer nights)
Rafikis Planet Watch?
Train to the planet watch?

Yeah I GUESS there is "nothing" to do

I would like to see them create more reasons, including a parade or other show, to enhance this park. And while were at it, how 'bout putting a parade back in Epcot.

The park itself was designed for full hours of operations. Even the safari ride had show lights installed along the path and spot lights were fitted to the trucks.

The problem was the attendance of the park was so poor when it opened, and the people who did show up left well before 3:00pm., that Disney slashed the operating hours to save money. The park has been open several times for special events and on extremely busy days. There is a change hours will expand to normal operations should attendance ever pick up.

We've been after dark during Extra Magic Hours. Riding the raft ride over and over again as it got dark was pretty cool.

Festival of the Lion King?
Finding Nemo the Musical?
Dinosour?
Chester and Hesters? (not that I like it but it is something to do)
Pocahontas show?
Eating Dinner at Rainforest Cafe?
Eating Dinner at the new Ying and Yak restaurant?
Kali River Rapids? (on hot summer nights)
Rafikis Planet Watch?
Train to the planet watch?

Yeah I GUESS there is "nothing" to do

Great now how do you spend the other 5 hours in the park? Wait let me guess count the leaves on the tree, eat lunch, train back, Dinosour from a different seat?

Animal Kingdom @ night? Another good reason to bring "Beastly Kingdom" (or something like it) out of the ashes.

Don't all yell at me at once, but I've been waiting for BK since my wife and I watched the movie and took the survey about Animal Kingdom in the Walt Disney Theatre on Main Street almost 20 years ago. I thought it sounded awesome then and I stll think it sounds awesome.

We all know that one of the functions of nightime shows is to keep people in the parks and spending money. But I think the issue with AK is that they still might not have ENOUGH to do for a nightime show to really have that intended affect.

Plus, the only sit-down restaurant at this point is not even really in the park, and is the same non-Disney restaurant you can visit at DTD or in many malls across the country.

If you did manage to convince people to stay past dinner time, they might start hunting and roasting the animals.

The Yak and Yeti (seriously, who thought "Yak" was a good word to have in a restaurant name?) will give them a more unique sit-down restaurant in the park. It won't be Disney operated, but at least its not a chain.

But I'm still not sure they have enough to really make full use of a "nighttime spectacular".

Great now how do you spend the other 5 hours in the park? Wait let me guess count the leaves on the tree, eat lunch, train back, Dinosour from a different seat?

I was using those examples at night.

Example of a Full day in Animal Kingdom

9:00 Leave hotel room for Park
9:30 Arrive at park after 15 min wait and 15 minute bus ride
9:30-10:00 through the trails at the entrance along with spending a few minutes with the characters at the entrance
10:00 Kilaminjaro Safari- 30 min wait. 20 minute ride
10:50 30 minutes through the Pingangi trail in Africa
11:20 Watch DeVine for 10-15 minutes
11:35 Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ (10 minutes in line 30 minutes to eat and enjoy the ducks)
12:15 See It's Tough to Be a Bug (20 minute wait, 15 minute show)
12:50 Spend 10 minutes walking through the Discovery Island Trails
1:00 Spend 20 minutes walking though the shops on Discover Island (Disney Outfiterrs and Creature Comforts
1:20 Head to Dinosour (30 minute wait, 5 minute ride)
1:55 Let the kids play in the Boneyard while you rest for 30 mins (grab some fries at the fry port)
2:25 Ride on Primevel Whirl or Triceptops Spin (10 minute wait 30 second ride)
2:35 Head to your favorite spot to view Mickeys Jammin Jungle Parade and stake your claim
3:00 Wait for the Parade to reach your location (15 mins)
3:15 See the Flights of Wonder Show (15 minute show
3:30 Head to Kali River Rapids (30 minute wait 2 minute ride)
4:00 Expedition Everest (45 Minute Wait 3 miute ride)
4:45 Watch Finding Nemo the Musical (15 minute show??)
5:00 Head to Rafikis Planet watch (10 minute wait for train 5 minute train ride)
5:15 Watch a live animal exhibit with an aminal trainer (15 minutes)
5:30 Spend 15 minutes in the "rainforest rooms OR outside with the animals at affection Section
5:45 train back to the rest of the park (5 minute train ride
5:50 arrive for your 6 reservation at Ying and Yak or Rainforest Cafe (Eat for 50-60 minutes
6:50 Go see Festival of the Lion King (30 minute show)
7:20 Visit with Mickey Minnie and Pluto for 15 minutes
7:35 Watch Pocahontasand Friends show (15 minutes)
7:50 Stake your claim for a future Night time parade or show
8:00 Night time show

Keep in mind I did not include any Bathroom breaks, only a few minutes to rest, and NO walking time between attractions. Also I don't know about you but I like to repeat a EE and Kilaminjaro.

Whether people like it or not a Night time show WILL make AK a full day park. Just because some people do not like ALL or MOST of the attraction does not mean that they don't exist. That is just like saying that EPCOT is not a fullday park to people who are ethnocentric (believe that their culture is superior and does not wish to engage about learning any other cultures) {ok so I just learned that word in Anthropology today, but you get my point}

EDIT Things we did NOT see on our full day today include
* Marajah Jungle trek
* Most of the shopping (I hate to shop but most people don't)
* Habitat Habit!
* Donald's Breakfastosaurus
* Crappy Carnival Games
* Wes Palm
Or spending ANY time actually enjoying the architecture of Africa or Andapadur around EE

In planning our last trip (6 days total), I was kind of surprised to find out that it was difficult to fit AK into the one day I had originally planned for it. In the end, we actually spent 2 days (well, more like 1 1/2) at AK, cutting our time at Epcot, in order to get a chance to see all the things we wanted to there. And, we skipped several things of only minor interest to us. Between the Nemo show and Expedition Everest, in the past year they've finally increased the amount of time you can spend there beyond the "see everything of interest in half a day" level.

All that is to say that I don't think AK is very far away from having enough to do that it could go to full-day operating hours. I think it's already comparable to the "full day" at the Studios.

Unfortunately, the Studios is a half-day park to many as well.

AK is closer that it was, but it's still questionable. The hours are finally being extended, but I think its still an attraction or three and a restaurant away from truly being what we could call a full day park for most.

By the way, talking today about 18 and 9 year-old Disney parks as struggling to fill a single day for most guests should be very disappointing.

I was using those examples at night.

Example of a Full day in Animal Kingdom

9:00
Finds everything listed in park guide and writes down time

Or spending ANY time actually enjoying the architecture of Africa or Andapadur around EE

Wow you know you're right....you know I told the wife the other day that we needed to plan to do something after the movie as it was only going to take about 3 hours...what was I thinking there are 16 theaters at the place we go....I only hope that "Stomp the Yard" is not playing in two different theaters I don't know if I can take seeing it twice in one day.

The person who is working on the parade is the same guy who created WISHES so it should be a cool one

I have been in AK in the evening for a few after hours (pin) events.

The first time we attended, the finale was a show stopping extraganza featuring the Lion King and performers. And it really was quite the show, and on what seemed a personal level since they were right there and not on a large stage.

The second time was in Dinoland. As part of our hard ticket cost each guest was given tokens to play in Dinoland. (Won and were awarded pins, rather than plushes.) The rides were open late on that side too. It was very fun. Great to ride even spinner rides when they are literally walk on as much as you care, and characters are riding too.

I know the second one had fireworks coming from the top of the Extinction spin/roller coaster ride.

I think the first one had fire and fireworks coming from a roof over a bathroom area (opposite of Tusker House, next to a gift shop).

For obvious reasons it was not like Wishes. However, the shows were very good. The pyrotechnics were part of a show, not all of the show.

It can be done, and done well. :wizard: :thumbsup2

Considering all that is on AK now it easily can be an all day into the evening park. As someone stated, more so than MGM, I think. I find it much more hard to stay in MGM than AK now. I LOVE ToT. But even I would not ride it all day! :rotfl:

For me (and many others) no park is an all day park because we head back to our room for a mid-day break. If they did have a great night time parade at AK, at least it would give the people who leave the park during the day for whatever reason) a reason to go back at night.

If that new restaurant is to be any sort of success, the park will have to be open later most nights.
I imagine a lot depends to whether or not you are a first time visitor or, like us a long time, repeat visitor. Our day at AK is only a 1/2 day, at best. Ride the Safari, go on Kali, me watch Mrs U get on EE and the Whirl and then off we go to the pool at OKW.
A night time parade should help a lot in keeping folks at the park, or bringing people like us back later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!