Nightime parade at AK

To me it's all in how you want to spend your time in the park. If you are a first time visitor or enjoy just walking around the park taking in all the things there are to see with out having to run from attraction to attraction, then AK and MGM are easily all day parks. If all you care about is seeing the "major attractions" or you are visiting for the 50th time, then there may not be enough to keep you satisfied. Guess it just depends on how you want to see the parks.

As for a parade at night, I think it would be great. I am all for new things at WDW. I vote for leaving out fireworks though.

If you are a first time visitor or enjoy just walking around the park taking in all the things there are to see with out having to run from attraction to attraction, then AK and MGM are easily all day parks.

Of course, the key point is that if you tour parks that way, then MK and Epcot are multi-day parks. As long as MGM and AK remain underbuilt in this manner they will continue to get tagged with monikers like 1/2 day.

The point isn't really that they are 1/2 day parks, or 3/4 day parks, or 50 day parks. The point is they provide less value than the other offerings for the majority of guests. In short, they offer less for the same price.

If that new restaurant is to be any sort of success, the park will have to be open later most nights.
One would think so. But then again, the RFC has been operating with AK's shorter hours for a long time now.

AK is scheduled to be open until 8pm for part of the summer, but it goes back to 5pm in the fall (according to what's posted at Disney's site).

Supposedly its also going to offer some sort of counter service, so maybe that's how it will be justified when the hours are shorter.

Wasnt T-REX! going into DAK as well as DTD? That would give them 2 more table service restaurants.

*edit* Never mind, they are going into DTD and one in Kansas City. Where I got DAK out of Kansas City I'll never know...

This debate about 1/2 day and whole day parks has existed for years. Considering the size of WDW and the variety of things to do there, it really isn't necessary for DAK to have a whole lot more, or to stay open late all year long. Even if it had 10 more attractions/restaurants, I don't think people would stay there all day. Especially those of you who go to WDW yearly or more often. People would probably find more attractions less interesting.

MK is an all day park, right? There is plenty to do there. Epcot has alot too. With DTD and all of the other things that WDW offers, you really don't need DAK to be opened until late in the evening, except just to see another fireworks show that (like has been pointed out) is not very realistic due to the animals. DAK will continue to add attractions and restaurants, but I don't think it needs to be a late-night park. That would just create more park hopping, and still not keep guests all day (and night) long.

I love DAK and would like to see a great nighttime parade in the park, but I think they also need more attractions. Adding a Beastlie Kingdom would be great. I would love to go on a ride that has to do with Dragons or other types of creatures. I also think they should take a bulldozer to Chester and Hesters and leave those cheap rides and games to your local carnival. Then in that area put in something really deatiled and of high quality, I'm not sure what kind of ride or attraction could be put there, but other people may have a good idea.

Just wondering.. I believe I read it in UG.

Some of us DO like AK afterall and are just curious.

It was a legitimate question.

I like AK too.

I just think its underbuilt by quite a bit, and that it does have a few existing areas that need some significant work as well.

Example of a Full day in Animal Kingdom

9:00 Leave hotel room for Park
9:30 Arrive at park after 15 min wait and 15 minute bus ride....

Not everyone wants to do all of these things. The idea of a full day park is not to have exactly the right amount of things to do to fill your day. The idea is to have MORE than that. So you can fill the day with things YOU want to experience.

Not everyone wants to ride CTX or Everest (or can).

Not everyone wants to spend an hour looking for characters.

And last time I checked none of the shows you mentioned play at night.

Between the Nemo show and Expedition Everest, in the past year they've finally increased the amount of time you can spend there beyond the "see everything of interest in half a day" level.
Nemo actually just replaced a show that already existed. I don't remember how long Tarzan Rocks was, but it seemed of comparable length. Nemo was 37 minutes, we were told by a cast member. So the only increase in time spent would be E:E, plus the waiting in the ginormous line for Nemo (Tarzan always seemed to be a walk-in.)

Speaking of the Nemo show, if you are going and want to see it, definitely hit the first one of the day if you can. The line was insane and wrapped around into Dinoland when we were there in mid-March. I guess for the final show of the day, there are irate guests that wait in the line and don't get into the theater. Frankly, I actually liked Tarzan Rocks better, but I think I am in the minority on that one.

It was a legitimate question.

I like AK too.

I just think its underbuilt by quite a bit, and that it does have a few existing areas that need some significant work as well.

Merci :) Thanks for a legit answer btw when I first posted this question.

I don't usually venture to this part of the DIS ,and after some of the snippy remarks I got from other posters for asking a simple question, I see exactly why I don't go over 'here'.

I for one would love to see a latern light show at AK... Since my dh and I really like this park and tend to spend a whole day there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter