News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the O word?

Well...Oprah would be more interesting...

Oscar.

First take...ridiculous.

Second take...could it be somewhere between citizen Kane and the third chapter of an adapted screenplay written 75 years before?

Peter Jackson wasn't racking his brain on return of the King...

Other things to consider:

Hollywood is self promoting and believes success bleeds out to everyone...if this is a 2,000,000,000 movie - wouldn't awards bolster its case that they all know what they're doing?

Second...Hollywood is self promoting...and Abrams will be their golden boy...it's only a matter of of time until he gets an Oscar for something

Yes I'm ahead of myself...it's not my idea...blame the Hollywood reporter

Well...Oprah would be more interesting...

Oscar.

First take...ridiculous.

Second take...could it be somewhere between citizen Kane and the third chapter of an adapted screenplay written 75 years before?

Peter Jackson wasn't racking his brain on return of the King...

Other things to consider:

Hollywood is self promoting and believes success bleeds out to everyone...if this is a 2,000,000,000 movie - wouldn't awards bolster its case that they all know what they're doing?

Second...Hollywood is self promoting...and Abrams will be their golden boy...it's only a matter of of time until he gets an Oscar for something

Yes I'm ahead of myself...it's not my idea...blame the Hollywood reporter

If it wins an Oscar it will be for something like costuming or visual effects, which is normal from movies like this. I just don't see how it would win an Oscar for best picture of best male/female lead/support.

If it wins an Oscar it will be for something like costuming or visual effects, which is normal from movies like this. I just don't see how it would win an Oscar for best picture of best male/female lead/support.

Ahhh...but you're talking about your father's academy.

That has shifting demographics. Remember that an 18 year old when Star Wars came out is now 55...

And all media is in "survival" mode in a weird, unregulated digital future. They have to use what they can to self promote and keep the medium making money.

And...lest we forget...if woody Allens...ummm...err..."preferences" we're known...the borefest known as Annie Hall Doesn't win and the die would have been cast long ago.

I think moving forward more popcorn is going to be rewarded.

Now...truth be told this is all low probability and I don't buy it. But an argument can be made.

They were lowballing the numbers at 60 2 days ago.
If reviews are largely positive tonight...which is now expected...there's gonna be a mad dash for tickets tomorrow and theaters will star adding more round the clock showings to compensate.

Is that $208 figure in play?

Oh yeah...they may get 3/4 of the way there before the power is turned on.

The funny part about Star Wars was it always has been about what it could be. I'm right in the prime age and have always been a massive fan - but being honest the movies have been the weakest part.

My imagination, the toys, and recently the animated shows have actually been the better parts.

The relevant part is this: if TFA is truly the most entertaining, best storied, best directed Star Wars? If it actually builds on what a generation and a half have imagined? $208 billion will be nothing. Highest grossing will be a cake walk.

And then Disney will have a real problem. A property bigger than it. One that is larger than a 14 acre land. And one that must be managed. Because then the expectations will crush the opportunities. In a way - TFA almost needs to be good and not great. Think where we would be today if the Prequels were on the same pedestal as Empire... Yikes. Disney would've needed $40 Billion to buy the rights.

The funny part about Star Wars was it always has been about what it could be. I'm right in the prime age and have always been a massive fan - but being honest the movies have been the weakest part.

My imagination, the toys, and recently the animated shows have actually been the better parts.

The relevant part is this: if TFA is truly the most entertaining, best storied, best directed Star Wars? If it actually builds on what a generation and a half have imagined? $208 billion will be nothing. Highest grossing will be a cake walk.

And then Disney will have a real problem. A property bigger than it. One that is larger than a 14 acre land. And one that must be managed. Because then the expectations will crush the opportunities. In a way - TFA almost needs to be good and not great. Think where we would be today if the Prequels were on the same pedestal as Empire... Yikes. Disney would've needed $40 Billion to buy the rights.

Your points are taken...

I agree with "good" being the goal.

Too Much and it makes the expectations kill the whole point:
Which is to make a completely memorable action movie.

Raiders and empire are probably the best two adventure movies ever...and the bar would've be been too high if empire was first. The corny of the original movie due lack of effects and Lucas cheese dialogue is probably what made them all such a game changer. Empire was better than anybody could have guess and it cemented the legacy.

not sure if there is any merit or truth to this, but saw this article floating around in a FB group today from theadultsideofdisney.com and didn't see anything mentioned here so ill share:

Beginning the end of this week (December 17) it is being reported that there will be changes coming to park entrances at Walt Disney World. According to the reports, some of the changes will include guests being required to walk through scanners similar to those at airports; security personnel using hand held wand scanners; and, additional uniformed and armed police along with K-9 units.

With all that is going on in the world today, I think this was bound to happen eventually since the bag check currently done was sometimes minimal at best and there were many guests allowed in without going through a security line because they had no bag. It is yet unclear if they will require all guests to enter through the scanners.

I am sure last week’s episode of a gentleman trying to enter the park with a gun has prompted this change.

not sure if there is any merit or truth to this, but saw this article floating around in a FB group today from theadultsideofdisney.com and didn't see anything mentioned here so ill share:

Beginning the end of this week (December 17) it is being reported that there will be changes coming to park entrances at Walt Disney World. According to the reports, some of the changes will include guests being required to walk through scanners similar to those at airports; security personnel using hand held wand scanners; and, additional uniformed and armed police along with K-9 units.

With all that is going on in the world today, I think this was bound to happen eventually since the bag check currently done was sometimes minimal at best and there were many guests allowed in without going through a security line because they had no bag. It is yet unclear if they will require all guests to enter through the scanners.

I am sure last week’s episode of a gentleman trying to enter the park with a gun has prompted this change.
There is an ongoing thread about the new security measures.

The "O" word is being dropped by a few critics already...

Which seems ridiculous but there is a precedent.

Oh right...no movies are "news" here so Pete doesn't have to look at the screen covering his eyes ;)

And the 1st word that came to my mind was "overrated"...I think the other O too outrageous to contemplate:)

And the 1st word that came to my mind was "overrated"...I think the other O too outrageous to contemplate:)

Overrated is also gonna be a given for many...

But the "academy" isn't what it used to be.

I gave the example of
Lord of the rings...which didn't get an Oscar for quality of film - it got it for the collective achievement of the 3.

They can continue to award piles of yawns like the English patient and million dollar baby...
...but don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that that may change also.

Like I said...I don't expect to see the best movie ever...but that doesn't mean it's entirely a ridiculous concept.

This is complete hypothetical.

Roaming pirates are now in adventureland

https://t.co/3u7hY6llNY

Can I just say this is a wonderful idea. I admit we don't often stop to watch the Streetmosphere because we spend so little time in DHS, but I do like it a lot. The same concept in Adventureland with Pirates is a wonderful idea. It's not really new there - as they in the past have "citizens of Main Street" wandering around. Hopefully they stick with it.

yeah we probably should pull back the reigns a little bit mentioning Oscar for a movie few have seen yet
looking forward to seeing it sunday....

It was the Hollywood reporter...which used to be marginal but is now one of the main entertainment covering organizations left...

And it is HYPOTHETICAL.

Can I just say this is a wonderful idea. I admit we don't often stop to watch the Streetmosphere because we spend so little time in DHS, but I do like it a lot. The same concept in Adventureland with Pirates is a wonderful idea. It's not really new there - as they in the past have "citizens of Main Street" wandering around. Hopefully they stick with it.
According to some people on wdwmagic this is actually only a limited time test. Hopefully they notice it's a good thing and continue it.

yeah we probably should pull back the reigns a little bit mentioning Oscar for a movie few have seen yet
looking forward to seeing it sunday....

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. I expect this to be highly enjoyable as the one thing that it has always had going for it is the fact that Lucas neither wrote it or directed it, so it should not suffer from poor acting or poor dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter