News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be right. I'm not sure either. Maybe we could get Jack Burgen @JMB to opine on it.

At any rate, if it occurred before Disney took over full ownership of DLP I suspect Disney is on the hook for any penalties anyway. Their only recourse might be against the prior DLP partners if it can be shown that those partners knew and concealed the transactions. That's really a stretch since Disney had a heavy hand in running the operation even then.

yeah - like you said, even if it occurred before Disney took over, unless they had something as part of the contract they likely also took over an burdens from the former owners, so they would be on the hook .... though if it did happen before they took over I would assume it would be less of a PR hit/they can spin it easier

Agreed. I think we all need to remember that Disney World isn't Cedar Point or your local Six Flags where they try to roll out a huge new attraction every year. I don't have a list or anything but it's worth noting that many of the WDW parks can go years without a "new attraction" debuting. I think in 2014 the ONLY new attractions of note were Festival of Fantasy parade (if that counts) and 7DMT. I don't recall anything of note opening in 2015 and in 2016 I think it was just Frozen Ever After (and is that when the new Soarin' film came out?).

Starting in 2017 with Pandora and obviously Toy Story this year, Star Wars coming at the end of next year, Tron, Guardians, Ratatouille, and so on it seemsl ike there's going to be something new and exciting each time we visit the parks. I feel super blessed to have young kids and be making annual trips during a time like this :)

So I'll agree and just echo your last comment...not sure what more you want :confused3

EDIT: I missed Runaway Railway
Hollywood Studios has built 5 new rides all operating by 2020.Epcot needs something now is my point .Epcot has nothing opening in 2019.13 months and nothing new is kinda slacking .My point is if I go to Epcot now Ellen is gone since my last visit .Glad they announced things but stepup the time to opening .

Hollywood Studios has built 5 new rides all operating by 2020.Epcot needs something now is my point .Epcot has nothing opening in 2019.13 months and nothing new is kinda slacking .My point is if I go to Epcot now Ellen is gone since my last visit .Glad they announced things but stepup the time to opening .
5 new rides which replaced at least 3 major people eating attractions. Epcot got rid of one attraction to build another so far.

yeah - like you said, even if it occurred before Disney took over, unless they had something as part of the contract they likely also took over an burdens from the former owners, so they would be on the hook .... though if it did happen before they took over I would assume it would be less of a PR hit/they can spin it easier

This is not the first time Disney, and many, many other companies, have played tax games in Europe with various subsidiaries, tax havens, and tax structures. Pretty much every major corporation doing business over there plays these games. It's just a matter of who gets tagged on occasion. Generally fines are paid and companies move on having come out the better for having played the games even after paying the fines. The prosecution of these types of games (I hesitate to actually call them crimes) is difficult, expensive, and generally not worth it for most European governments. Our own government has hardly ever bothered to try.

As I said when I put it up the first time, this doesn't look like anything major, but it is a PR hit to Euro Disney, and a park that has long been plagued by a multitude of issues that, in my opinion, go as far back as the plan to put it in France in the first place. Very little about Euro Disney has ever been well thought out or done correctly. Hopefully this takeover will at least put it on decent, if expensive footing, going forward.

13 months is slacking??? You gotta look at the history here...After opening The Seas With Nemo in Nov 2006, Epcot didn't have a single major new attraction again until Frozen Ever After in 2016. (If somebody wants to argue that Gran Fiesta Tour in 2007 was "major" I'd give them that)...but either way it was like 115 months between major attraction openings. If we're looking for a new E-Ticket attraction you'd have to go back to 2005 and Soarin'. I don't recall exactly what year it was but it was probably somewhere in the 2011-2013 time frame that I was on a bus to Epcot and heard the announcement about trying Epcot's new major ride...The Seas with Nemo...which had opened 5-7 years prior to this. Disney knows that they don't need to open a new major attraction every year like Six Flags/Cedar Point to keep people coming. We are at least lucky that Universal (and to a lesser extent Sea World) are pushing them to up their game and provide new experiences.

We've probably already wasted too much time on this discussion, but the point is that we are very spoiled now, expecting major attractions to open at each park every year. Disney is methodical and slow with new attractions but we have so much to look forward to.

EDIT: Who am I kidding...there's no way that you'd count Gran Fiesta Tour as a major attraction. Didn't they just add Donald projections to the existing ride? LOL! Sorry...mini-tangent as I re-read my comment LOL!

13 months is slacking??? You gotta look at the history here...After opening The Seas With Nemo in Nov 2006, Epcot didn't have a single major new attraction again until Frozen Ever After in 2016. (If somebody wants to argue that Gran Fiesta Tour in 2007 was "major" I'd give them that)...but either way it was like 115 months between major attraction openings. If we're looking for a new E-Ticket attraction you'd have to go back to 2005 and Soarin'. I don't recall exactly what year it was but it was probably somewhere in the 2011-2013 time frame that I was on a bus to Epcot and heard the announcement about trying Epcot's new major ride...The Seas with Nemo...which had opened 5-7 years prior to this. Disney knows that they don't need to open a new major attraction every year like Six Flags/Cedar Point to keep people coming. We are at least lucky that Universal (and to a lesser extent Sea World) are pushing them to up their game and provide new experiences.

We've probably already wasted too much time on this discussion, but the point is that we are very spoiled now, expecting major attractions to open at each park every year. Disney is methodical and slow with new attractions but we have so much to look forward to.

EDIT: Who am I kidding...there's no way that you'd count Gran Fiesta Tour as a major attraction. Didn't they just add Donald projections to the existing ride? LOL! Sorry...mini-tangent as I re-read my comment LOL!
Epcot seemingly took advantage of the popularity of the Festivals. No need to build new RIDE attractions when people are willing to pay a theme park admission ticket to eat/drink around the World Showcase. Disney does a great job of adding attractions (in the form of entertainment or food) to the parks regularly though.

But with nothing new announced beyond rumors .. I don't see Epcot really being THAT much different in the next few years. One net-new attraction is good, but still not enough, even though both new attractions will probably be MAJOR draws though.

The problem with Epcot is it is just too big .. too spread out with not much in between. It takes a LOT of walking to go between the 6 buildings in Future World .. and even LONGER just to get to the "newest" attraction Frozen. I about broke my parents on the first day of our trip at Epcot and all we did was this (without any back-tracking):
Entrance -> Test Track -> Frozen -> Imagination (spent time there with ride, film festival and the jumping fountains) -> The Land -> The Seas -> Innovations West -> Exit.
That doesn't even count the run I did to Wonders of Life with my 2yo while everyone else was on Test Track.

(It was a pretty hot day for November too (high 80s).

Epcot seemingly took advantage of the popularity of the Festivals. No need to build new RIDE attractions when people are willing to pay a theme park admission ticket to eat/drink around the World Showcase. Disney does a great job of adding attractions (in the form of entertainment or food) to the parks regularly though.

But with nothing new announced beyond rumors .. I don't see Epcot really being THAT much different in the next few years. One net-new attraction is good, but still not enough, even though both new attractions will probably be MAJOR draws though.

The problem with Epcot is it is just too big .. too spread out with not much in between. It takes a LOT of walking to go between the 6 buildings in Future World .. and even LONGER just to get to the "newest" attraction Frozen. I about broke my parents on the first day of our trip at Epcot and all we did was this (without any back-tracking):
Entrance -> Test Track -> Frozen -> Imagination (spent time there with ride, film festival and the jumping fountains) -> The Land -> The Seas -> Innovations West -> Exit.
That doesn't even count the run I did to Wonders of Life with my 2yo while everyone else was on Test Track.

(It was a pretty hot day for November too (high 80s).

I think the layout of EPCOT is something you either love or hate - I love how spread out it is and how just walking around and taking in what you see along the way is part of the experience .... we aren't ride-ride-ride people so it works for us and even when crowded EPCOT can absorb a lot of people

I think you are forgetting one key component. The time period you're speaking of was during the last recession. Disney is now playing catch-up and putting capital investments into the parks. These were sorely needed. The competition from Universal is another reason.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Complain about the lack of new rides all you want, but using EPCOT for more themed festivals is still a new use of the existing space, and one that works well with the park. They may not have built any new attractions/rides, but they have certainly found ways to introduce new attractions/experiences with fair regularity. And people are coming so it must be working.

5 new rides which replaced at least 3 major people eating attractions. Epcot got rid of one attraction to build another so far.
Good point. I see DHS as getting 2 NET NEW attractions .. but more importantly .. they are getting 4 NET NEW ride attractions.
Backlot was just a tour that you got into a vehicle for. It isn't a ride that "thrills" you .. so the repeat riding was never there.
LMA was a show .. and while fun -- had VERY limited show times (like Indy). It was hard to squeeze that into your day at DHS sometimes.

The key is all 5 attractions will be probably infinitely more popular than the ones they is replacing.

The thing is DHS has decided to change its theme up when it became dated (due to changes in the movie industry). There is no thrill in seeing the "magic" of movie making when it is all done on a computer screen now and DHS is now going with the "immersion into movies" theme (thanks to Harry Potter over at Universal).

Epcot is a park without a theme and it shows. Is Future World showcasing technology? Not really . they replaced the educational rides with "thrill" rides (that aren't that thrilling). Future World (to me) has Soarin' as an attraction I WANT to do. The others I do because I'm there.

World Showcase is fine as is .. it just suffers (for now) a lack of ride attractions. The addition of Frozen is a draw (compared to Maelstrom) for most families. But (for those there for the "ride" experiences) . .there is no reason to go beyond Norway. (France will soon change that .. but that is still a VERY long walk past nothing but shops and restaurants for ONE single ride.

So until Epcot decides what its new theme should be, it will be at the bottom of the four theme parks (except for the "foodies" that love the festivals and ambience there).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter