News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff like this (or Push) work best in short doses. In a pre-internet world, they could have a longer shelf life. These things absolutely work best when you happen upon them without prior knowledge of them. Nowadays, it's one of those instances where there is too much information available out there.

Be fun if they could just have things like this be out randomly - so not an "every day thing" - but then I know people would complain if they weren't out when they went

It's like trading with the Jawas in the Star Wars launch bay. Once word got out that the Jawas would trade with you, the poor little things were overwhelmed with people wagging Shiny Bright objects in their faces. And then they would complain when the Jawas would not trade with them. Too bad. It was a fun experience. People can really wreck stuff sometimes.

Hmmm... These aren’t an upgrade to me: “new fireworks-themed decorations will adorn the ferryboat, and a strolling magician will entertain guests as they wait for the Happily Ever After fireworks to begin.”

Strolling magician strikes me as annoying, personally!! Not sure the food sounds like an upgrade beyond what we had a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
It's like trading with the Jawas in the Star Wars launch bay. Once word got out that the Jawas would trade with you, the poor little things were overwhelmed with people wagging Shiny Bright objects in their faces. And then they would complain when the Jawas would not trade with them. Too bad. It was a fun experience. People can really wreck stuff sometimes.

there is a bunch of stuff like that (The death certificates at the Haunted Mansion, the maps at the Jungle cruise, etc.) that work in small doses but with the advent of the internet, just too easy for too many people to find out about them

Hmmm... These aren’t an upgrade to me: “new fireworks-themed decorations will adorn the ferryboat, and a strolling magician will entertain guests as they wait for the Happily Ever After fireworks to begin.”

Strolling musician strikes me as annoying, personally!! Not sure the food sounds like an upgrade beyond what we had a couple of years ago.

I think it is "magician" not "musician" ... not saying both can't be annoying but I can see the magician helping to entertain the kids while waiting for the fireworks a bit

That’s what I meant to type - sorry! Though BOTH would be annoying to me — certainly not an upgrade. :upsidedow

I like magic, but I can see this possibly being annoying. Guess I'll find out in a little less than 2 weeks! I hope we get the cool light up flutes as keep sakes. I saw several reviews from past iterations where you did plus a little plastic plate, but then they switched to lanyards. Not that either are some huge perk or deal breaker at 100 bucks a pop.

I could see this appealing to convention guests, business people who might already be acquainted with using a smartphone app to unlock hotel doors from the major chains. Those same people might be less likely to have park tickets or want to wear cutesy plastic bracelets? Just the first thought I had.

I've also left the room and members of my travel party did not have a magic band with them, but did have their cell phone. This would have allowed my travel partner to open the door and retrieve his magic band (or just go without it). I'm all for giving people more options for access!
This is exactly what I was thinking!

I'm a little late to reply, and perhaps this was already mentioned, but I do think that MagicBands will be phased out. Not necessarily soon, but eventually.

MagicBand 1.0 came out in 2013, right? Apply Pay and Google Pay (former Android Pay) were released in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Now that more and more people are using their cellphones to make payments, I'm sure Disney is seeing the potential savings if they were to allow ones cellphone to do everything the MagicBands can do. You already need your phone if you want to modify any plans that were previously made in MyDisneyExperience. Why not let the guest provide their own hardware?

I'm definitely in the MagicBand boat though. My wife is usually the one modifying any of our plans, so I luck out and don't really need my phone in the park.

Besides, I prefer to look at a screen as little as possible on vacation. That's why we go to Disney over Universal.

This. If magic bands cost $5 bucks/pp that adds up to real bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter