• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

See - to each his own - room service is something I never, ever, ever use - I can't get over the pricing up-charge that they stick you with - and also we don't eat late night. (Just not a habit I ever got into.) So this didn't even register with me even though we are DVC and are generally staying at these resorts.
I agree...since we are rope drop people, if we have the munchies at the end of the day, we hit the closest food court, and also have a TON of snacks and libations in our room...then it's lights out for recovery, and much needed rest for the next day!

I agree. I think he definitely would love to fix it but execs are the issue.

I have heard though that they have a plan where they don't need to take the ride down for very long. It would involve however taking the yeti out and operating without him for a little while. I am not sure how the ride would be without any yeti at all. Maybe they could put a screen up or something, cheap temporary option.

The Yeti is currently static. They could build a non-AA Yeti and replace it. Have the non-AA Yeti there for the duration it takes to fix the actual Yeti, or the base, or whatever they have to fix. Once everything is fixed, swap out the non-AA Yeti with the actual Yeti. The people riding the ride while the AA Yeti is out wouldn't know, since it doesn't move anyways.

But the answer to why they aren't doing that now is the same answer to every other question, money.

I have heard though that they have a plan where they don't need to take the ride down for very long. It would involve however taking the yeti out and operating without him for a little while. I am not sure how the ride would be without any yeti at all. Maybe they could put a screen up or something, cheap temporary option.

just reuse the screen they use for when the Shamen on the River Journey isn't working

Holy crap! I'm officially out of WDW hotels now. Sometimes you want a martini, dessert and a glass of milk at 2am. In all seriousness, I got room service every night of my last WDW stay at the Dolphin in Sept. Late night room service is part of vacation. I can't imagine they're saving that much money to not have someone available to put together a club sandwich and ice cream. If they want to offer deluxe hotels, you have 24 hour room service. Ugh.

See - to each his own - room service is something I never, ever, ever use - I can't get over the pricing up-charge that they stick you with - and also we don't eat late night. (Just not a habit I ever got into.) So this didn't even register with me even though we are DVC and are generally staying at these resorts.

Personally I am like @skier_pete in that I never order room service due to the charge/cost ... even when I am traveling for business and could expense it I just can't justify it

But I also agree with @amberpi that you can't not have this 24 hours a day and call yourself a deluxe resort

The time frame I was told was pretty short 6-8 weeks, but I just said a few months to be safe. he did not mention removal of the yeti, but again he wasn't giving me a detailed explanation.

A lot of full service hotels are moving to a market concept and removing "traditional" 24 hour in room dining.

For hotel amenity delivery this is also being handled at the market where clients and VIP's can choose their own amenity to great success.

I agree though that it seems strange for the deluxe resorts to remove this feature.

That's so funny, but yep, people are different. I once went on a trip with a guy who got upset when I suggested some late night room service (we'd already fussed about him not tipping bar tenders properly, to the point I was embarrassed and just paid for drinks so I could do the tipping) due to the price. I broke up with him within days of return, not because of that, but his overall cheapness was never going to work. Its a deal breaker for me in hotel choices. I'm also a night owl with a small appetite, so if I'm hungry, I try to take advantage of it!

I travel a lot for work, and I've gotten in the habit of getting dessert to go at dinner that I eat later in the hotel room. I love Embassy Suites for work travel, and I've been known to stash some beer in my room from happy hour in the lobby. But I also like room service. There are just days I don't want to go back out after I get in from working all day, especially if I'm traveling on my own. So then I order room service. Disney's room service has left a lot to be desired for a bit now, in my opinion. I've used it, but not a lot.

Actually this renewed Yeti discussion brings up a point. Not that I generally like screens over real animatronic, but wondering if Disney should consider replacing the Yeti with a screen effect. The quality of what they can do now is so much higher than back in 2006.

I mean, obviously not ideal - I was able to ride EE when it first opened and the Yeti was working and it was very, very cool when the physical arm was reaching out at you ... so best case scenario is they get that working

Maybe they could update the other projection they have of the shadow though to make that a bit more impressive

Actually this renewed Yeti discussion brings up a point. Not that I generally like screens over real animatronic, but wondering if Disney should consider replacing the Yeti with a screen effect. The quality of what they can do now is so much higher than back in 2006.

That's a slippery slope right there.

I agree...since we are rope drop people, if we have the munchies at the end of the day, we hit the closest food court, and also have a TON of snacks and libations in our room...then it's lights out for recovery, and much needed rest for the next day!

I'm the same, plus I don't need to find more times/reasons to eat as it is. The upcharge alone is enough to make me shy away from it. It's already overpriced food so to add a "convenience fee" and 22% tip (which I would pay around 20% anyway) it just seems hard to justify on impulse. Plus in my mind, it was always something "rich" people did, even if that's not at all true.

I travel a lot for work, and I've gotten in the habit of getting dessert to go at dinner that I eat later in the hotel room. I love Embassy Suites for work travel, and I've been known to stash some beer in my room from happy hour in the lobby. But I also like room service. There are just days I don't want to go back out after I get in from working all day, especially if I'm traveling on my own. So then I order room service. Disney's room service has left a lot to be desired for a bit now, in my opinion. I've used it, but not a lot.

I'll do the to-go dessert and take drinks up to my room at ES too! But like you, sometimes I just want out of work clothes and into my yoga pants.

Another great part of the Dolphin, is that the room service is GREAT. I actually got Bluezoo delivered one day while I was there last as I was tired, having balance issues, and just didn't want to put on proper clothes.

It just seems janky to not offer 24 hour room service in supposed luxury properties.

I mean, obviously not ideal - I was able to ride EE when it first opened and the Yeti was working and it was very, very cool when the physical arm was reaching out at you ... so best case scenario is they get that working

Maybe they could update the other projection they have of the shadow though to make that a bit more impressive

I guess that's more what I meant is to use advance screen techniques to enhance the Yeti swipe effect, so that the animatronic would not have to move as much, but in conjuction with projections would appear to come very close to the vehicle. (I remember the "swipe" too and it certainly was better than what we have, but I don't ever remember it being very threatening.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter