Newbie trying to figure it all out - VGC??

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
We just stayed in a regular room at the Grand Californian for the first time and loved it so now we're seriously talking about DVC and trying to figure everything out. It's all very confusing since I know almost nothing about it. So overwhelming.

I understand we can't get VGC direct (bummer) but can do resale. Realistically it may be another year before we can purchase who know knows what prices will be at the time.

I don't know the correct terminology here. But looking at contract, I see the month listed for when the points show up. I'm not sure how to decide which month would work best for us.

We are 2 adults, 1 child. We typically travel once a year or every other year. We mostly like early February, June, or early December....depending upon the year. We'd likely book a studio or maybe a 1-bedroom.

So what month would work best?
Is it hard to book a studio/1-bedroom at the 11 month mark?

In the past, we have had to cancel/reschedule some trips last minute so that is a big concern for me after hearing you can only use points in holding for reservations within a 60 day window. What do people do since booking VGC 60 days out is basically impossible?

Oh...and I keep seeing ROFR and I can't quite understand what that is.

Here's an article about Use Year:

https://*******.com/dvc-information/buying-dvc/understanding-use-year/

Will you only travel to DL? Only stay at VGC? I don't know anything about the availability of that resort because we visit WDW.

As far as cancelling goes, you have to be very sure you will go on your trip or cancel 31 days or more before the start of the trip. Here's an article about holding points:

https://*******.com/holding-account-disney-vacation-club/

Those links are starred out.

We will mostly travel to Disneyland. Maybe WDW every few years...eventually.

If we have DVC we'd really only want to stay at the GC. (If we don't buy, we'd probably just stay off-site because rack rates on site are insane.)

I suppose we could maybe consider the Disneyland hotel when their DVC tower opens but honestly, we really love the location of VGC over the new DLH tower.

Those links are starred out.

We will mostly travel to Disneyland. Maybe WDW every few years...eventually.

If we have DVC we'd really only want to stay at the GC. (If we don't buy, we'd probably just stay off-site because rack rates on site are insane.)

I suppose we could maybe consider the Disneyland hotel when their DVC tower opens but honestly, we really love the location of VGC over the new DLH tower.
Sorry about that. I recommend searching for information to explain use year and holding points. There are many people who can explain better than I can. Good luck with your decision!

Its not hard to book at 11 months, after 7 months it is impossible. Yes after taxes and parking you are looking close to $1000 a night at the Grand so VGC is a great option. As far as best month, I have never figured out what difference it makes. We are February. It is better to not save up a lot of points because you can get stuck with them, but they are easy to sell.

But if you are looking at a contract that has points that expire in less than 7 months understand you will probably not be able to use them

Last edited:
We just stayed in a regular room at the Grand Californian for the first time and loved it so now we're seriously talking about DVC and trying to figure everything out. It's all very confusing since I know almost nothing about it. So overwhelming.

I understand we can't get VGC direct (bummer) but can do resale. Realistically it may be another year before we can purchase who know knows what prices will be at the time.

I don't know the correct terminology here. But looking at contract, I see the month listed for when the points show up. I'm not sure how to decide which month would work best for us.

We are 2 adults, 1 child. We typically travel once a year or every other year. We mostly like early February, June, or early December....depending upon the year. We'd likely book a studio or maybe a 1-bedroom.

So what month would work best?
Is it hard to book a studio/1-bedroom at the 11 month mark?

In the past, we have had to cancel/reschedule some trips last minute so that is a big concern for me after hearing you can only use points in holding for reservations within a 60 day window. What do people do since booking VGC 60 days out is basically impossible?

Oh...and I keep seeing ROFR and I can't quite understand what that is.
ROFR = Right of First Refusal. When seller and a buyer agree on terms, that deal is submitted to DVC, and they have the right to take the place of the buyer. The seller gets exactly what they agreed to get in their contract with the buyer, and the buyer gets to start all over looking for a desirable contract.

As far as UY, start with this thread: Understanding Use Year.

And for booking VGC, it's best to own there!

Thanks! I'll check out that thread.

So if we go through a resale site...there's a chance that Disney will essentially buy it back from the seller? I didn't know that. Interesting.

We are thinking about trying to rent points for a studio villa for our next visit if we aren't able to or decide not to purchase DVC before then.

If we purchase a smaller contract, can we add points on or would we need to find a 2nd contract? I remember reading something about being able to add a small amount of points for 1-time use or being able to add extra yearly points (there was a minimum requirement, I believe) but I can't recall if that worked for resale ones or not.

If we purchase a smaller contract, can we add points on or would we need to find a 2nd contract? I remember reading something about being able to add a small amount of points for 1-time use or being able to add extra yearly points (there was a minimum requirement, I believe) but I can't recall if that worked for resale ones or not.
Current members (including resale only members) can add on in smaller amounts, some resorts are 25, some like RIV are 50 as the min addon. You'll pay the going direct rate, but its instant and less hassle vs trying to buy a smaller contract resale a lot of the time.

You can buy OTU (one time use) points, those are like the name implies a one time points transaction that you buy directly from disney. You can buy up to 24 points and they are 19 per point. You can only use them in the 7 month booking window. They are mainly used if you are short just a few points to make a booking.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/add-on-one-time-use-points/how-to/

Thanks! I'll check out that thread.

So if we go through a resale site...there's a chance that Disney will essentially buy it back from the seller? I didn't know that. Interesting.
Yes. If you look around on this forum, you'll see the ROFR thread, where people report their experiences.
We are thinking about trying to rent points for a studio villa for our next visit if we aren't able to or decide not to purchase DVC before then.

You can't add points to a contract, but you can add on by buying another contract, if you'll need more points continuing on. You can add on via another resale contract or by buying direct, and many new members take advantage of the fact that they can buy a small points contract resale, then add on as few as 25 or 50 points direct. They don't get the Membership Extras perks that require 150 points direct, but for many it works out better financially.

DVC also offers One Time Use Points, which you can buy only at 7 months or less from checkin if you need just a few extra points for that one visit. They cost $19 a point, and you can buy up to 24 per UY (they don't have to be purchased all at once).

Hi I suggest you visit this sponsor to begin your research.
I am not familiar with the other sites but I like the organization to begin to understand “DVC”
The site is very user friendly . I have owned since 2001 and still visit this site often .
DVCResaleMarket.com

And then come back for our approval before you make an offer
Haha
We want to help and want you to love DVC and the Disboards!

Good luck

Yes. If you look around on this forum, you'll see the ROFR thread, where people report their experiences.

You can't add points to a contract, but you can add on by buying another contract, if you'll need more points continuing on. You can add on via another resale contract or by buying direct, and many new members take advantage of the fact that they can buy a small points contract resale, then add on as few as 25 or 50 points direct. They don't get the Membership Extras perks that require 150 points direct, but for many it works out better financially.

DVC also offers One Time Use Points, which you can buy only at 7 months or less from checkin if you need just a few extra points for that one visit. They cost $19 a point, and you can buy up to 24 per UY (they don't have to be purchased all at once).
Thanks.

Can you still buy extra points direct (to add onto a resale contract) if the resort is sold out, like CGC?

Hi I suggest you visit this sponsor to begin your research.
I am not familiar with the other sites but I like the organization to begin to understand “DVC”
The site is very user friendly . I have owned since 2001 and still visit this site often .
DVCResaleMarket.com

And then come back for our approval before you make an offer
Haha
We want to help and want you to love DVC and the Disboards!

Good luck

Thank you!

Can you still buy extra points direct (to add onto a resale contract) if the resort is sold out, like CGC?
At this time, DVC isn't selling any points for VGC (I think someone may have reported buying some direct a few months ago, but it's very rare). However, you can buy points for the other "sold out" resorts.

I know you're early in your journey, so here's another bit of clarification -- there's a difference between a DVC contract and a DVC membership. The contract is a legal document stating you own specific real estate (a % of unit # at home resort) that's represented by xx number of points. That contract is in a membership, which can contain multiple contracts. You can't add on to a contract but you can add on to a membership, or you can have additional memberships by buying contracts that are a different UY or are titled differently from that first one.

Oh. So if I were to buy a contract of 100 points from a resale site for VGC....and then later on decide we want to be able to use more points each year, we'd need to find another resale contract for VGC since we can't just add points directly from Disney. Is that correct?

Then our membership would have 2 contracts for 2 different amounts of points that could be combined on one reservation for a villa at the Grand Cali?

Am I getting that right at all? :laughing:

Oh. So if I were to buy a contract of 100 points from a resale site for VGC....and then later on decide we want to be able to use more points each year, we'd need to find another resale contract for VGC since we can't just add points directly from Disney. Is that correct?

Then our membership would have 2 contracts for 2 different amounts of points that could be combined on one reservation for a villa at the Grand Cali?

Am I getting that right at all? :laughing:

As long as the second contract is the same UY with the same owners, it will be all one membership. That allows you to book together at 11 months with both, assuming they are both for VGC

If Disneyland and VGC is your thing, I would buy VGC resale. Based on your vacation preference, I'd go for a June UY to cover at least June and December trips. You'll be out of luck for February trips since Jan 31st is the banking deadline. And June UY is probably the most common UY out there for VGC resale. I'd also consider waiting for VDH direct, if you like DLH. But if you're dead set on Grand Cal, I'd buy VGC. Also, you'll be able to use it at the other 14 DVC resorts but you most likely will only use your VGC points at VGC, since you'll be paying so much for them for that 11 month advantage. Also, the annual dues at VGC has risen VERY rapidly the last 2 years. It was $6.99pp in 2021. Now it's $8.04 in 2023. That's a 13% increase in 2 years! No one seems to know why VGC has seen such a huge rise in annual dues. Good luck and good hunting!

https://dvcfan.com/2021/06/14/dvc-show-dvc-resale-101/

You could also do a December Use Year as that would cover Dec, Feb, and June.

If Disneyland and VGC is your thing, I would buy VGC resale. Based on your vacation preference, I'd go for a June UY to cover at least June and December trips. You'll be out of luck for February trips since Jan 31st is the banking deadline. And June UY is probably the most common UY out there for VGC resale. I'd also consider waiting for VDH direct, if you like DLH. But if you're dead set on Grand Cal, I'd buy VGC. Also, you'll be able to use it at the other 14 DVC resorts but you most likely will only use your VGC points at VGC, since you'll be paying so much for them for that 11 month advantage. Also, the annual dues at VGC has risen VERY rapidly the last 2 years. It was $6.99pp in 2021. Now it's $8.04 in 2023. That's a 13% increase in 2 years! No one seems to know why VGC has seen such a huge rise in annual dues. Good luck and good hunting!

https://dvcfan.com/2021/06/14/dvc-show-dvc-resale-101/

13.5% over 2 years is 6.75% per annum. What has inflation been over the last 2 years? The historical average just under 5.46%. I would categorize that as slightly highly than average but in line with inflation.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-p...content/2494-historical-annual-dues-by-resort

Just a guess, but it might be the covid cleaning protocol has caused increases. Also hotel maids are demanding a lot more then previous years

Just a guess, but it might be the covid cleaning protocol has caused increases. Also hotel maids are demanding a lot more then previous years
Plus, VGC is expected to undergo refurbishment next year. Costs of construction, materials, furnishings, etc. may have increased enough to cause a jump in the $ set aside for Capital Improvements (the savings account for refurbs). You'd have to compare that line item in previous budgets with this year's budget to see how large the increase was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter