New shampoo/conditioner/body wash containers

I just don't understand people actually using the complimentary soap and shampoo at all. Don't you bring your regular stuff from home? Frankly I tried using the H2O stuff last week (the sea marine) and I was NOT impressed. Smelled gross (like medicine) and didn't do a thing for my skin or hair.

As for the ick factor of using shared bottles...meh. Not even a blip on the radar for me. I am all for limiting waste.
It doesn't work like it is supposed to because of the awful Florida water. If you tried it at home with different water, you'd get a different result.

I just don't understand people actually using the complimentary soap and shampoo at all. Don't you bring your regular stuff from home? Frankly I tried using the H2O stuff last week (the sea marine) and I was NOT impressed. Smelled gross (like medicine) and didn't do a thing for my skin or hair.

As for the ick factor of using shared bottles...meh. Not even a blip on the radar for me. I am all for limiting waste.
One more thing— I absolutely use them. H20 + is a wonderful brand and it’s nice to have that at WDW. I’m sure I’m not the only one who-when smelling and using it at home -(whether purchased from gift shop, ulta, h20+ store or extra from room)-is “scent memory” transported back to their vacation. Same thing with candles I have purchased candles that smell like the lobby of the beach club resort and also the perfume I’ve purchased at the France Epcot Pavillion. It’s a small respite in the hum-drumness in between WDW trips! H20+ would not sell bottles imprinted with a mickey head if people were not liking and purchasing the product. So yes, people use them. When packing, I’m happy to NOT have to pack my own when I know they’re there as a nice amenity. Just like the DuPont having a whole Kiehls miniature skincare line in the rooms. Had I not stayed there and tried the Kiehls, I wouldn’t know what nice products they are. It’s a great way for companies to have people try their line, who maybe normally wouldn’t.

I always take my own Toiletries
I have never used hotel supplied items... except for hand soap

I don't see this as a negative

Curious- if a Disney restaurant that had good food in the past starts making subpar food, do you also instruct everyone to get over it? I don't understand why the cheapening of the resort stay is any different. I mean, we can "survive" eating soggy sandwiches too.

I believe it is the Hilton group that is switching over to the dispensers in their resorts. So it is not just Disney being cheap. I have no problem with anyone doing something else that is more green. If it saves them money at the same time, good for them.

I always take my own Toiletries
I have never used hotel supplied items... except for hand soap

I don't see this as a negative
Disney deluxe resorts prices start at around $350 per night and go up to the multiple thousands of dollars, for a suite, per night. Why, unless you have a dermatological condition , would you NOT want to use what you have paid many pennies for???? Are you just picky, or, do you think that’s not part of your reservation fee? Also, do you bring your own sheets, towels, toilet paper, Kleenex and hand soap? They would be very interesting if you did. I definitely don’t think you’re the average Disney guest because if so, they would have come to the realization that guests need no toiletries whatsoever and done away with them on your behalf! :rotfl2:
Maybe you are staying at a value or a moderate. Those rates are much lower, so I can see it not being as big of an issue. But for a guest paying TOP DOLLARS for a deluxe resort experience, a dispenser on the wall seems pretty tacky and cheap. And they have no room to be so cheap when we are paying luxury resort prices! I’ll consider using a dispenser when they refund $ per person for not using the tiny toiletries!:wizard:
(Kind of like the people who decline housekeeping for $10. By the way, I’ll never decline housekeeping.... I’m on vacation, I paid for a clean room, I’m not making a bed or picking up wet towels. Regardless of what you think of having that option, WDW is still making a lot of money per room per night! $$$$$ is their bottom line)

Last edited:
I believe it is the Hilton group that is switching over to the dispensers in their resorts. So it is not just Disney being cheap. I have no problem with anyone doing something else that is more green. If it saves them money at the same time, good for them.

Why good for them? Do you also applaud them closing the pool early, not hiring as many staff members, etc because it saves them money? And no one is stopping anyone from opting out of using hotel toiletries if they want to be green. Invoking a "if it's yellow let it mellow" rule might be more green too, but I am not doing that on vacation either.

Also, because I am a bit insane, I spent my lunch hour calling hotels and asking them about this. None of the hotels I spoke with, including Hilton's not-even-that-high-end Doubletree, said they were switching to wall dispensers. They may be switching in their cheaper hotels, but that sort of proves the point that others are making. It's cheap.

It doesn't work like it is supposed to because of the awful Florida water. If you tried it at home with different water, you'd get a different result.

Yet MY regular shampoo conditioner and soap work just fine in the Florida water (and don't smell gross. Seriously the smell of the H2O stuff was repellent).

One more thing— I absolutely use them. H20 + is a wonderful brand and it’s nice to have that at WDW. I’m sure I’m not the only one who-when smelling and using it at home -(whether purchased from gift shop, ulta, h20+ store or extra from room)-is “scent memory” transported back to their vacation. Same thing with candles I have purchased candles that smell like the lobby of the beach club resort and also the perfume I’ve purchased at the France Epcot Pavillion. It’s a small respite in the hum-drumness in between WDW trips! H20+ would not sell bottles imprinted with a mickey head if people were not liking and purchasing the product. So yes, people use them. When packing, I’m happy to NOT have to pack my own when I know they’re there as a nice amenity. Just like the DuPont having a whole Kiehls miniature skincare line in the rooms. Had I not stayed there and tried the Kiehls, I wouldn’t know what nice products they are. It’s a great way for companies to have people try their line, who maybe normally wouldn’t.

I get the scent memory thing. We have a wax melt that smells like the BLT lobby.

Disney deluxe resorts prices start at around $350 per night and go up to the multiple thousands of dollars, for a suite, per night. Why, unless you have a dermatological condition , would you NOT want to use what you have paid many pennies for???? Are you just picky, or, do you think that’s not part of your reservation fee? Also, do you bring your own sheets, towels, toilet paper, Kleenex and hand soap? They would be very interesting if you did. I definitely don’t think you’re the average Disney guest because if so, they would have come to the realization that guests need no toiletries whatsoever and done away with them on your behalf! :rotfl2:
Maybe you are staying at a value or a moderate. Those rates are much lower, so I can see it not being as big of an issue. But for a guest paying TOP DOLLARS for a deluxe resort experience, a dispenser on the wall seems pretty tacky and cheap. And they have no room to be so cheap when we are paying luxury resort prices! I’ll consider using a dispenser when they refund $ per person for not using the tiny toiletries!:wizard:
(Kind of like the people who decline housekeeping for $10. By the way, I’ll never decline housekeeping.... I’m on vacation, I paid for a clean room, I’m not making a bed or picking up wet towels. Regardless of what you think of having that option, WDW is still making a lot of money per room per night! $$$$$ is their bottom line)

I don't really have a dog in this fight but FWIW, I stay exclusively in deluxes (when we started going to the World as a kid that was all that existed!) and I rarely use anything more than the little bars of hand soap. It's not a question of not getting my money's worth out of my reservation or anything of that nature. As a start, I'm an African American woman with long/thick kinky 4c natural hair and those tiny bottles of shampoo and conditioner in hotels do absolutely nothing for me. They're not made for my hair type and I would need about 40 bottles of them to do anything anyway! Like a lot of naturalistas, through much trial and error I've settled on a routine that works well for my hair care needs and have carefully curated products for that. So I travel with those. Similarly, I have sensitive skin so I can't use just anything. It's not about being picky, it's about sticking to what works for my particular hair and skincare needs. Plus, I'm a beauty addict and end up with a lot of mini sizes and samples from Sephora purchases, and gifts with purchase sets so I almost always use those when traveling. For me personally, I just like to use different/higher quality products than what's generally provided. H20 is decent but I prefer L'Occitane products because I use them at home. I know that Four Seasons hotels use them, not sure if the one at WDW does.

I'm with you on mousekeeping, though. I'd never decline that!

I completely agree with you. Less waste is awesome, but I will not use that soap. People wash their bodies and then add more soap to their washcloth and it all touches. :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: Completely gives me the willies!! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Yuck. There are so many wonderful things to be grossed out by in this world if you think about it!

To be fair, you can still put high end product in a wall dispenser. So bragging about the brand they are using doesn't necessarily mean that brand isn't in a dispenser.

This is true. One of the fancier hotels I stayed at in Europe featured L'Occitane shower gel, conditioner, and lotion in wall-mounted dispensers. I had thought for a moment how gross it would be for someone to tamper with it, but in that case they actually had a rather solid lock to keep people from flipping open the top of the dispenser.

If people simply get past it and don't let Disney know their dissatisfaction then Disney will chip away one step at a time to cheapen guests experiences rather than improve them. Whats next, get rid of carpeting and switch to Motel 6 style bedding in the Values? Oh wait......

True, so for sure fill out those surveys about your stay! The thing that would REALLY change their minds is making less money. I honestly don't have a dog in this debate, but if demand goes down for the resorts, then hotel rooms don't get filled at these prices. Of course, I think right now Disney feels pretty confident that demand is pretty strong for many factors having nothing to do with soap dispensers.

TBH I don't think about the cost of my hotel stay and the bottles they may give me. Some have given good sized and others tiny and that's at all different types of hotels.

I bring travel sized stuff from home 100% of the time. It has nothing to do with hotel price.

A lot of your comments are on the :snooty: side.

Why good for them? Do you also applaud them closing the pool early, not hiring as many staff members, etc because it saves them money? And no one is stopping anyone from opting out of using hotel toiletries if they want to be green. Invoking a "if it's yellow let it mellow" rule might be more green too, but I am not doing that on vacation either.

Also, because I am a bit insane, I spent my lunch hour calling hotels and asking them about this. None of the hotels I spoke with, including Hilton's not-even-that-high-end Doubletree, said they were switching to wall dispensers. They may be switching in their cheaper hotels, but that sort of proves the point that others are making. It's cheap.
The Hilton Home2 I booked for a night before my flight I just saw is using wall dispenser :guilty: so maybe they will start in their other brands too.

Yet MY regular shampoo conditioner and soap work just fine in the Florida water (and don't smell gross. Seriously the smell of the H2O stuff was repellent).

I get the scent memory thing. We have a wax melt that smells like the BLT lobby.
Because of your post I was curious and had to go smell my wdw Sea Marine shampoo, and I could barely smell a scent. I guess I’m not very scent sensitive.

In a public bathroom, dispensers are usually hands free these days. I do not touch the door handles after washing my hands either (I use a paper towel).

There is an NPR article that looked at the microbes in public bathrooms - 45% from fecal matter. I have higher standards for a hotel bathroom.
what do you do when leaving a restroom that only has driers no paper towels? there are a number of those in my area

The Hilton Home2 I booked for a night before my flight I just saw is using wall dispenser :guilty: so maybe they will start in their other brands too.

Because of your post I was curious and had to go smell my wdw Sea Marine shampoo, and I could barely smell a scent. I guess I’m not very scent sensitive.

The sea marine smelled like medicine to me. A very strong off putting medicinal scent. I haven't smelled the grapefruit one but I typically don't care for grapefruit as a scent so I'm out of luck there. I am kicking myself for not picking up a jar of the citrus salt scrub from Basin at DS while we were there though. That stuff was awesome!

The sea marine smelled like medicine to me. A very strong off putting medicinal scent. I haven't smelled the grapefruit one but I typically don't care for grapefruit as a scent so I'm out of luck there. I am kicking myself for not picking up a jar of the citrus salt scrub from Basin at DS while we were there though. That stuff was awesome!
I love the Sea Marine scent. That and the Sea Salt are my two favorite.

I said good for them because I don't find it cheap. I say good on any business that finds a way to be more green.

TBH I don't think about the cost of my hotel stay and the bottles they may give me. Some have given good sized and others tiny and that's at all different types of hotels.

I bring travel sized stuff from home 100% of the time. It has nothing to do with hotel price.

A lot of your comments are on the :snooty: side.
:snooty: ? :rotfl2:
Unfortunately when reading commentary on the internet, sometimes tone is mistaken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter