New Restrictions Announced on Resales: Effective Jan 19

I'm sure this was addressed somewhere above or on one of the other threads about this topic, but now I'm not remembering...it's been a couple days since I read on this particular thread. What about people who have direct contracts or grandfathered resale contracts, and then buy a post-1/19 resale contract? How in the WORLD is the system going to be able to figure out which points can be used where? Or is the assumption that if you are direct or grandfathered, you will have the booking benefit for ALL of your points (I doubt it)? Thoughts? Or point me to another response that already addressed this?

I'm sure this was addressed somewhere above or on one of the other threads about this topic, but now I'm not remembering...it's been a couple days since I read on this particular thread. What about people who have direct contracts or grandfathered resale contracts, and then buy a post-1/19 resale contract? How in the WORLD is the system going to be able to figure out which points can be used where? Or is the assumption that if you are direct or grandfathered, you will have the booking benefit for ALL of your points (I doubt it)? Thoughts? Or point me to another response that already addressed this?

I think individual contracts will be "tagged" with the restrictions.

LAX

This all sounds really complicated, but it appears newly minted resale buyers still have more options than a "home resort." Maybe with only one (perhaps two in the not so distant future) property, the "new DVD timeshare" (sorry, I can't call it Club any more) cannot allow exchanges until there are more within the new system. For the time being at least, it seems really restrictive to be able to book just 1 resort, which I guess isn't too different from when original OKW went on sale. By the way, was there any "promise" or plan of new additions when DVD was selling OKW?

LAX

According to old marketing material and articles about DVC when Disney Vacation Club started they were very specific about using RCI as the "Exchange" option. And if I recall correctly the minimum point requirements had a lot to do with being able to exchange into RCI. It was the number of points required to exchange into a 2BR thru their system. They always had exchange in mind when starting.

They've always had to keep track of what contracts qualify for what and when just because of the home resort priority. Then they had to add more following the 2011 resale restrictions regarding use in the Disney Collection. This just adds another layer to something they've always had to do since they opened their second resort.

We bought direct at BWV to stay at BWV until the end of the contract or the end of our lives, whichever comes first . We bought direct at AKV because we love it and every stay we’ve had there and will continue to have til the end as well. God willing we never have to sell. But....if we do, we’ll take what we can get and not look back. 19 years and counting, still love it, and now have it with our kids and grandkids. To us, and currently, no matter what, DVC still rocks!!!

We bought BWV 20 years ago and completely agree with that statement! We are "paid off" and just pay dues, as the "rack rates" rise 3-4-5%/year! We are now in the "gravy" years so to speak... Would not sell-Hopefully.. If we do, we have still "made off like a bandit" on WDW and accommodations and the occasional Disney Cruise (one for us).. So far..... We bought CCV in 2017, and planning to do the same and keep it for many years...

So, how long until David’s starts up an 11-month reservation swap service?

Every now and then, we’ve seen posts wondering if a reservation swap service exists. (ie a BWV owner books F&W 11 months out in exchange for a BRV December reservation 11 months out)
DVC’s 7 month window has been OK enough that few wanted the additional work.

But now there will be classes of RRV and the 14 original resorts resale owners that may want to swap, but can’t through Disney...but some enterprising 3rd party could offer a solution.

So that I'm clear, if I were to make the 1/19/19 cutoff and I purchased (for example) Hilton Head points, I can still use those points at any of the original 14 (or potential new dvc properties)? I wouldn't be limited to just Hilton Head correct?

So that I'm clear, if I were to make the 1/19/19 cutoff and I purchased (for example) Hilton Head points, I can still use those points at any of the original 14 (or potential new dvc properties)? I wouldn't be limited to just Hilton Head correct?
Yes you would be grandfathered

Yes, but... (because there's always a "but")...

You could still book the original 14 (DVC I) if you were to miss that deadline. You just would not be able to book at the new resorts.

HHI dues are among the highest in DVC. The buy-in price is not the biggest cost of owning. The dues are what get you, year after year after year. You may want to consider one of the DVC I resorts if it's your intention to use your points mainly at a WDW resort.

Yes, but... (because there's always a "but")...

You could still book the original 14 (DVC I) if you were to miss that deadline. You just would not be able to book at the new resorts.

HHI dues are among the highest in DVC. The buy-in price is not the biggest cost of owning. The dues are what get you, year after year after year. You may want to consider one of the DVC I resorts if it's your intention to use your points mainly at a WDW resort.

Thank you, I'm sort of in an interim stage where I was thinking of buying HH and then purchasing points for BLT or Poly, etc, to book the major parts of our stays. In reality buying HH would serve the dual purpose of providing access to the DVC booking portal and providing some cheaper points. At some point in the future, I would buy 100 directly from Disney. Math I'm thinking about is, dues at HH are (hypothetically) $250 more per year than OKW. But, I was able buy a HH property with 20 more DVC points for the same price as 20 less points OKW property. I would then have to purchase those 20 points from a member at about $16 per point. That's $320. So, it all sort of comes out in the wash. Resale on HH after 1/19 though is going to tank a bit.

Thank you, I'm sort of in an interim stage where I was thinking of buying HH and then purchasing points for BLT or Poly, etc, to book the major parts of our stays. In reality buying HH would serve the dual purpose of providing access to the DVC booking portal and providing some cheaper points. At some point in the future, I would buy 100 directly from Disney. Math I'm thinking about is, dues at HH are (hypothetically) $250 more per year than OKW. But, I was able buy a HH property with 20 more DVC points for the same price as 20 less points OKW property. I would then have to purchase those 20 points from a member at about $16 per point. That's $320. So, it all sort of comes out in the wash. Resale on HH after 1/19 though is going to tank a bit.

So in rough numbers, I guess you're talking about ~100 OKW points at ~$100/point vs. ~120 HHI points at ~$83/point. Dues on OKW would be ~$723, plus transferring 20 points at $16, so $1,043. Dues on HHI would be $1,027. I guess I see what you're saying. For comparison sake, you could also look for a ~120pt OKW contract. $2,000 more upfront, dues $868, payback ~11 years, probably not worth the upfront capital.

Since you're looking at transfer points and owning not necessarily where you want to stay though, it's probably also worth comparing to just renting points where you want to stay. At $17/pt (David's, 7mo window), renting 120 points per year is $2,040. At $16/pt (deal with an owner), it's $1,920. If you're dropping $10,000+closing costs for HHI, the payback on $1,027/yr vs. ~$2,000/yr is again a 10-11yr payback with a lot of upfront capital. I don't know if I'd rush into that.

FWIW if you think resale will tank after next week, it'd be better to wait for that tanking, UNLESS you really want to book Riviera/Reflections.

So, how long until David’s starts up an 11-month reservation swap service?

Every now and then, we’ve seen posts wondering if a reservation swap service exists. (ie a BWV owner books F&W 11 months out in exchange for a BRV December reservation 11 months out)
DVC’s 7 month window has been OK enough that few wanted the additional work.

But now there will be classes of RRV and the 14 original resorts resale owners that may want to swap, but can’t through Disney...but some enterprising 3rd party could offer a solution.

They need to make a commission on the exchange and 1 night for 1 night is not going to be comparable in most cases. They already do this thru the existing system without any of the intricate difficulties that would come from doing a true swap. Just rent out your points and rent somebody elses. It's the best way to get an agreement on if the exchange is equitable. The other is more a needle in a haystack.

They need to make a commission on the exchange and 1 night for 1 night is not going to be comparable in most cases. They already do this thru the existing system without any of the intricate difficulties that would come from doing a true swap. Just rent out your points and rent somebody elses. It's the best way to get an agreement on if the exchange is equitable. The other is more a needle in a haystack.
Yes, there would need to be a fee or in combined with renting out additional points for cash.

This may have already been addressed, if so I'm sorry I missed it.
Let's say a person was to buy a DVC timeshare directly from Disney for the Riviera, and then for whatever reason, perhaps financial, they resell it. The person who buys their points via the resale market then would have access to only the Riviera?? The Riviera and the 14 older DVC resorts?? How will that work? Because they will come on the resale market someday.

This may have already been addressed, if so I'm sorry I missed it.
Let's say a person was to buy a DVC timeshare directly from Disney for the Riviera, and then for whatever reason, perhaps financial, they resell it. The person who buys their points via the resale market then would have access to only the Riviera?? The Riviera and the 14 older DVC resorts?? How will that work? Because they will come on the resale market someday.

So far reports from MS and what resale companies have been told, resale Riviera will only be able to book Riviera.

So far reports from MS and what resale companies have been told, resale Riviera will only be able to book Riviera.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

What possible incentive would there be to own at the Riviera then??

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Excellent question.

People are speculating that it will be so awesome that the restriction won't be a huge negative. Plus....gondolas! :rolleyes:

Ahh, age old “Buy where you want to stay” vs “why would you buy where you want to stay?”

So far, I haven’t seen enough details about Riviera to make it my “where I want to stay”.
The greatest positive announced so far, seems to be potential Epcot/fireworks views (but it won’t be Illuminations). Insiders seem to suggest luxury, but I’ll wait for actual details.

Because probably with 90% of people, what happens if they resell it, will be lost on them when they impulse buy and sign a bundle of documents without reading them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter