New Posiden's Fury is much better

rob@rar.org.uk

Skiing is best, Mickey comes next
Finally got to see the new show at Posiden's Fury last week and thought it was a huge improvement over the first version of this attraction. Previously I thought it had great potential with such an amazing show building, but the storyline was a bit slow paced and not 'dark' enough. The new show is much better in these respects, and the two "Taylors" I saw were very, very good. Congratulations to all concerned (Earl, etc?).

Regards

Rob

I thought the show's plot was easier to understand, but it didn't amaze me as much as the previous one. I am glad that they kept the water vortex. It's the only reason why I go to the show.

I think it will need to grow on me.

for those of you who like the second coming of Posidions Fury better than the first: What is a Darkenon????:confused:

Webster's defines Darkenon as follows:

Main Entry: Dar·ke·non
Pronunciation: 'dar-"ke-non
Function: noun
Date: 2001
: a Darth Maul wannabe with a sword who hates Poseidon with a passion

There you go.. ;)

I also saw it last week rob, but although I liked it better than the original I still wasn't very impressed. My 7 yo quite liked it but I thought it was still lacking something - maybe our guide just wasn't very good.

He's Lord Darkennon. He was one of Poseidon's trusted high priests. It's his name. How hard can it be to understand that?
It's a fictional story... If Poseidon had high priests, perhaps it's within the realm of possibility one of them went by the name of Darkennon?

I liked the original a lot but was in a minority.
Everyone I talked to couldn't understand the story and with all of the walking from room to room they just got lost even further in their lack of understanding. Now they have simplified it for better or worse and more folks follow the story even if they don't remember Darkenon or if he even existed in "History".
Regardless, to pass final judgement on this attraction this early is premature. The original got better with age and as they tweeked the effects. .
The Final Room's original climax is even now simplified with a "now you see it, now you don't, and now you do again"(worded to eliminate spoilers) presentation and hopefully the effects will increase in intensity with age as did the Original Show's effects.
The effects that I really miss are the 3-D Laser Projection on the Fountain of Water and the intensity of the "thrown" Fireballs.
I think Taylor is better than the Keeper only due to the improvements to the simplicity of the story. I will miss Zeus though.
Why if they wanted to do away with Keeper couldn't they just leave Zeus as the Hero? He is a "God" anyway and could come to the rescue similarly to the way Poseidon does. The attraction's name IS "Poseidon's Fury" and Poseidon should still be the Bad Guy. Those who have seen the new version, try to imagine Zeus in the role Poseidon now has and Poseidon in the Darkenon role. Taylor could still have the same relationship with the hero and it would make more sense than re-writing "history" to include a "Darkenon".
I still like it though and will continue to look for the tweeking.
HAVE FUN

When I first saw the new version, I thought the ending lacked the punch that the old one did (excluding the final effect of both shows). The new one had far fewer (barely any) fire effects and just lacked any kind of oomph. It was like this for a couple of weeks, and then little by little more and more effects started coming on line and consistently working. Within the past 2 weeks I have seen the show 3 times and now I must say that the overall impression that the final show room gives is much better. As far as I can tell, all the fire effects are working (and there's more than enough of them to keep me satisfied, especially when watching in the front row :) ) and they seem to be much more consistant now. I still give the edge to the old show (but just in the final show room, everything else in the new version blows the old one away), but the new show's finale has matured nicely.

The last room's fire and water effects are vastly improved from when the new show first opened, and I suggest seeing the show again before dismissing it.

Originally posted by Tony M
Why if they wanted to do away with Keeper couldn't they just leave Zeus as the Hero? He is a "God" anyway and could come to the rescue similarly to the way Poseidon does. The attraction's name IS "Poseidon's Fury" and Poseidon should still be the Bad Guy. Those who have seen the new version, try to imagine Zeus in the role Poseidon now has and Poseidon in the Darkenon role. Taylor could still have the same relationship with the hero and it would make more sense than re-writing "history" to include a "Darkenon".

Now this makes far more sense than creating a totally bogus character. maybe they should have called him Chester, made him limp and called the whole attraction Marshal Dillon's Fast Draw:p

"bogus character?"
So, it's okay to create a fictional portrayal of a previous fictional character (Zeus...that's right, he wasn't real!), but not create a fictional character of their own?

DOWN WITH NEW IDEAS!
DOWN WITH NEW CHARACTERS!
I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE NAMED DARKENNON BEFORE- SO HE CAN'T BE IN THE SHOW!
HOW DARE YOU CREATE A FICTIONAL CHARACTER FOR A FICTIONAL STORY! ::gasp::

Originally posted by CoileyTheSpringSprite
"bogus character?"
So, it's okay to create a fictional portrayal of a previous fictional character (Zeus...that's right, he wasn't real!), but not create a fictional character of their own?

DOWN WITH NEW IDEAS!
DOWN WITH NEW CHARACTERS!
I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE NAMED DARKENNON BEFORE- SO HE CAN'T BE IN THE SHOW!
HOW DARE YOU CREATE A FICTIONAL CHARACTER FOR A FICTIONAL STORY! ::gasp::

EARTH TO SPRINGY SPRITE: fictional or not a whole lot of people thru the ages have heard of zeus or posidion. I am just asking for one, only one reference to darkenon prior to the conception of the new show. Show me one other place in IOA that has a non-name recognition entity like a darkenon. It will be intresting to see how the attendence figures relate between the old and new show.

I certainly hope you don't walk out of movies when you go see one and realize you don't know the characters beforehand.

Why is it that you can't seem to understand the concept of the character?

Taylor explains the whole thing:

Darkennon- Poseidon's trusted high priest.

That's ALL you need to know. Remember 99% of the people experiencing the attraction have NEVER SEEN THE OLD VERSION BEFORE.

So Zeus isn't in it! SO WHAT? The idea was to create an extremely *EVIL* character -- and Poseidon was not, and could not be threatening enough.

You're confronted with two options when recreating this attraction:

Keep Poseidon as the bad guy: DOESN'T work for the purposes they set down. He's a god, omnipotent, and he's not seen as a monster. In the old show- he just WASN'T threatening. Atlantis seemed pretty darn nice. It just wasn't scary.

New character: In this case, Darkennon. Unleashing the *ghost* of a high priest who locked the doors of all the chambers in the temple and slaughtered everyone inside. It's MUCH more threatening and he's pure *evil.* He wants to kill you and Poseidon. Why? Because he's evil! The Poseidon of old wanted to make you part of his army... not exactly on the same level of threatening, here.

You're missing the CONCEPT of storytelling- something both Universal and Disney are EXTREMELY good at. At least a good half or so of Disney's attractions are not based on anything at all- they create their OWN story. Just as the new show does. And believe it or not, a LOT of people have never heard of some of the characters at IOA- or are not familiar with them.

Besides, it's not as if it's Poseidon vs. the Care Bears. Darkennon fits perfectly within the frame of the story told- if the god Poseidon had high priests, maybe one of them was named Darkennon. I mean, it's MYTHOLOGY. NONE OF IT IS REAL!

If your complaint is that it's too hard to understand- or that maybe others can't understand it, then its unjustified. Taylor says it ALL in the Chamber of Sacrifices. Many people didn't understand the old show because they didn't listen to the exposition. If they don't understand the new one, then its the same problem, and its the guest's fault.

Darkenon is the long lost son of Darth Maul. Since Star Wars was told "long ago in a galaxy far away," it's possible Darkenon would show up during the ancient Greek times.

It was also nice for the warning message to be in English. The ancient Greeks must have been smarter than we know or Taylor's flashlight comes with a universal translator. :)

Speaking of Taylor's flashlight.. Does anyone know specifically what brand/model his standard incandescent one is? I'm guessing it's one of those rechargeable Mag-Lites. I'm looking for a really bright flashlight, and Taylor's fits the bill.

Originally posted by Barry Hom
Darkenon is the long lost son of Darth Maul. Since Star Wars was told "long ago in a galaxy far away," it's possible Darkenon would show up during the ancient Greek times.

this example makes sense except for the WD connection

It was also nice for the warning message to be in English. The ancient Greeks must have been smarter than we know or Taylor's flashlight comes with a universal translator. :)

the english and Darkenon are just IOA storywriters having a bad day and forgetting to put the beleivablity test to the story. :o

Regarding this Show --

I make no apologies. The goal was simple: Universal wanted to revise the Posedon show. The #1 goal was to "make the story understandable" and #2 was to "make the show more entertaining.." At the same time, they wanted the show to have more for kids and families. Okay all would-be attraction designers - what would YOU do? And realize Universal had already done two revisions to the attraction - but they were what I would call band-aid changes. They did what many of you seem to perfer - they tired to keep everything the same and change some lines here and there, add a few more lights. But that doesn't really do anything on a canvas as large as this. You have to think out of the box and really get into something new. Add to the equation that you have to use the existing format, the rooms, the screens, the basic set-up of chamber and effects. You have to tell the story in the walk-through format.

Okay - now lets talk about "the Keeper" that many of you are so fond of. Am I missing something? Since when do you like going to professional theme park and seeing 20 and 30 year olds playing a 70 year old looking man, who it turns out is hundreds or thousands of years old, and who ultimately turns out not be a man, but a God? So if he was Zeus all along, why was he taking us into a known trap? And why does he wear a bad beard and wig? And then - for all of you people so sensitive to the reality of the show - did it bother anyone that his LIVE performer transforms into CGI animated character? And as to the content of the show - nothing happened in the first two scenes. Nothing.

So - Take the goals above and mix with a very small budget, and 12 weeks to do it all, and have at it. I am very proud of the show that we accomplished. That is to say, I and my team, and the Universal technical support team, that did the impossible. The show now has better ratings, and as pointed out by one of you here, the ratings improve as they continue to get the finale effects on line on a more consistent basis.

As to the choices I made - and yes, I wrote, directed, produced and designed the show -- here are there reasons. It's not some random thing -- it was very purposeful.

Taylor - I wanted a character audiences could indentify with and they they would LIKE.

Darkennon - I wanted a VILLAIN - someone that could be EVIL and that could attack Poseidon.

Why Poseidon as a HERO? Well for all of you purists - its just not correct that Poseidon was a villain. And Zeus and Poseidon battling for Earth isn't correct either. So - lets get off this notion that the previous show was somehow "true" to mythology. It wasn't --

It was called Poseidon's Fury - and they decided to keep that name, though I had proposed a change - The Haunted Temple of Poseidon. I thought, since the "fun houses" at Halloween use walk-through effectively, that there was good parallel in calling this a Haunted Temple. (That would have slightly changed the writing as well...)

As to the concept and design -- Pre-Show sets up Taylor as your host who TRIES his best to deal with the "strnage things" going on --

ACT I - establishes the backstory of what has gone before, it then sets up a RIDDLE that holds the key to what lays ahead, and then cleanly sets up the Villain - and all in a way that allows Taylor to react and discover things as he goes. (Compare that to the previous show in there - honestly people, there is no comparison because nothing dramatic happened previously ecxcept that they shined lights on cieling paintings.)

ACT II - CHamber of Death -- People are TRAPPED. No escape unless they can find something -- find it or die. No way out - until Taylor by chance finds the object of magic -- and in doing so, brings to life the Guardian --- who then casts the spell that opens the doorway to Poseidon's Chamber.

ACT III - Poseidon's Chamber -- for all of you jaded people who KNOW the secret of the room - next time WATCH the faces of the guests who don't know whats coming. You will see that they are quite awestruck -- as a magic trick, it works well. As to the rest of it - the focus, the staging, the storytelling is CLEAR now. We realize what is up.

And, as pointed out by others -- if you saw the show early in the SUmmer - the finale effects were not firing as consistently as we had liked. Now the show is building up its reliabilty - and mjore and more of the effects are in.

I agree with several people here -- its easy to be jaded and cynical about things. Espeically when you don't go on line to achieve things. But here, I end where I started - I make no apologies. THe show is clearer. Kids love the show (although Tiny ones have to leave as it gets a little scary for them) - Adults love the show too though. The ratings have gone up. People applaud at the end of this show - something that never happened previously. I'm proud of this on all counts - but when you add that we did it on a small, tight budget, and in 12 weeks, it is only that much more incredible.

I urge those of you who thought it wasn't all that great, to see it again with an open mind. I cannot agree with anyone who thinks the previous show was a gem -- sorry. It was really not good on most any level - dramatically and from an entertainment point of view - it lacked any heart, it had no humor, and it certainly was not engaging.

I welcome your comments - its always good to get feedback. Now -=- for your specific comments --

Barry - flashlights probably wouldn't help in Latin Class.and as to your other comments- Darkennon is in a way related to all classic villains. Thanks for the obvservation. As to the "GreeK' your comment regarding English here means that MOST motion pictures are wrong then? You know - when we see them reading the words in Bibles from other eras, when we see Roman and Greeks words in movies that are also in English - its a CONVENTION used to facilityate a story. And by the way -- just so you know -- Poseidon's Fury isn't a REAL story. Its fantasy and action adventure. :)
Mr. Nonacho - we found one of the brightest ones we could find - so you're right. I'll try to find out what the spec and model is.
Barry - Cute -- that observation about Greek and English. And also the comparison to Darth Maul. Nice.
Coiley the SPring SPrit e- I love you - you GET it - you have a sense of what creating a show is all about -- and you understand the nature of storytelling. THANKS for the positive words and thoughts --
MIB999999 - I don;'t understand your hang up on DARKENNON - he was created because in actuallity it is MORE believeable that a HIGH PRIEST challenged the gods in a way that would make him evil and capable of using humans as nothing more than sacrifical lambs. To make Poseidon a VILLAIN is wrong-headed. I am suprised you don't understand that. And what is WRONG with an original character? THINK ABOUT THIS - you need to have, in a show that takes place in 12 minutes - INSTANTLY RECGONIZABLE ICONS -- so that people KNOW what your intent is. THIS IS NOT MOVIE MEDIUM where you have TIME to establish character and intent -- - THINK when you criticise.
Tony M - the entire notion that ZEUS was actually this guy in a bad wig and bad fake beard is insulting! You all go on about "reality" and then take the entire basis of the original show - a young actor playing an OLD man who is actually a centureies old GOD, who becomes a CGI animated character -- I mean COME ON!!!
All I am saying is - instead of being caustic and smug in your replies people -- THINK about things and find positive solutions. If there was ONE idea in here that was a great suggestion, I'd probably use it. As it is - these endless remarks that are "cute" do nothing to really help, nor are they valid criticisms.

I look forward to additional comments.

Gary,

Thanks a lot for responding to the complaints lodged on this board. Hopefully people will be able to see the show in a new light, and not be totally jaded by their love of the old show.

I enjoyed the old show- but mostly for the major show effects. The stone cartouche door, the water vortex and the room drop. Three wonderful effects, which, unfortunately, were hindrered by a story and set-up that was certainly not the best in the world. You and your team managed to create a better attraction through a more compelling story.

Having watched many an attraction rehab before, the fact that you guys were able to go from concept to completed product in such a short time is nothing short of amazing.

The old show was a very passive experience. The audience wasn't involved at all. There was no immedieate sense of danger. You've managed to cover most of the points of why the old show was lacking in comparison to the new one.

Other comments...

Darkennon is evil. As such, (and if the Internet Movie Database is correct, because I wouldn't have ever guessed it was him...) Jeffrey Combs was an excellent choice for the part. The man is very good with deliciously evil parts as evidenced in his recurring role on Deep Space Nine and his small, albeit creepy turn in House on Haunted Hill (which, if we all recall, was partially filmed at IOA). Christina Pickles' Goddess character also stands out. I still get goosebumps when the music swells, the door rolls open and she says "Your trident comes home... returns to your hand."

Speeding up the cartouche works a lot better than when it moved so slooooowly before. Gives the guest less time to realize its not really stone. Combine that with the louder sound effects, and the effect is much more realistic.

Making the Chamber of Sacrifices more three dimensional... ie: the frame around the emergency exit doorway, and the painting that helps cover up the hidden door's seperation from the wall.

One of my favorite improvements... after the strobe goes off and the walls for the smaller chamber fly away... you're standing in complete darkness for a good 6-7 seconds or so. What's great about this? You've already been transported to Poseidon's Chamber. You just can't SEE anything because the Octopus' tentacles are blocking any light from getting in. The lights fade up as the tentacles unwrap themselves... one of my biggest complaints about the old show was it seemed like a movie was starting. They needed a segue between no projection and the start of the film so they created the Octopus. Unfortunatrely, it didn't really explain why you can see perfectly... it really made it seem like a film. The new use of the Octopus segue is spectacular- its such a small detail, but it adds so much to the realism.

One point that hasn't been brought up yet... the new show has a WONDERFUL score. From the queue music that sounds very Haunted Mansion-esque, to the swelling theme in the Chamber of Death as the door slides open... it's nice really, because, unlike the old show, the main theme and variations thereof follow you from room to room. Works extremely well, in my opinion. Something I think we can ALL agree on, is that IOA has the single best collection of original attraction and area music of just about anywhere, and as such, the new music is in good company- and yet a few more tracks I would love to have on CD. The old show's score was actually good as well, but it only really stood out in the final chamber.

If I have only one complaint about the entire redo- it's that the lightning in the queue wasn't replaced with the excavation work lights, ala DL's Indy. But if I had to guess, I would assume that their absence (Although not complete absense, as the two main lights in the final portion of the queue were replaced... to reinforce the idea of an electricity generator) was due to budgetary purposes.

I could keep going on with the praise, but I'll just close with saying Bravo to you and your team. Congratulations on giving guests of Islands of Adventure what's basically a brand new attraction- one that's compelling, and as exciting as some of the other offerings in the park.

-CoileyTheSpringSprite
aka kungaloosh1937@hotmail.com

The new show is good, but I think I would have prefered the old show if they could have found a better 'keeper'. All the times I went the keeper made most mall santa's look good in a fake beard. I know that universal can do a makeup/makeover job better than that. Just look at the Grinch character around Christmas. Heck, the guy who walks around Jurassic Park with the cane would have made a decent keeper character!

I think what I miss most is that final surprise where you are 'sent back' to the previous room.

I agree with Johare. The "transporting" effect is now missing. For me, the loss of that effect ruins the attraction.

What is the purpose of the vortex now? In the older version, the vortex transported you below the sea to posiedon's lair and then Zeus magically transported you back from the deep. In the new version there really is no purpose in the vortex.

In the older version you walked through the vortex to a destination below the ocean. In the the new version you walk into a chamber EXACTLY like the prior chamber ----this is what ruins the magical transportation that used to occur. In the older version one was unaware that the attraction viewing area had the same configuration as the earlier chamber. Now when the room "magically" reappears, one is left thinking "ho hum, the walls are back".

Also, in the new version, when the blinding flash occurs and the walls "disappear", the natural inclination for me is to ponder, "Where did the walls go?" A quick glance around the room allowed me to watch the last inches of the walls receding into the ceiling---and my mind made the association "curtain rising". Of course the search for the walls also emphasized the mechanics of the building, the theatrical lighting props and trusses, etc. ----totally brought me back to "reality" ---this is just a show. So when the walls reappear, My natural association was "curtain drop".

That's just my two cents. But for me, the loss of a reason for the vortex and the lack of the transporting effect ruins the attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter