New policy for using or buying a few points??

If you could upgrade to a 1 bedroom for $360 (24x$15) or less would you? Many owners will be in that position.
Yes, indeed! If this option were in place about two months ago ... I would not be on a waitlist today! I have 102 points "left over" in my current UY. Normally I bank the points w/out a second thought. However ... with D23 events popping up, I decided to book a few nights at GCV at a time I would not normally travel on points. I could afford all three nights in a studio ... but it wasn't available. The 1BR was available but I would have needed to borrow 24 points to book all three nights. I chose to book the first two nights in the 1BR and waitlist for the studio. If the option had been in place -- I would have quickly dished out the $360 and book the 1BR all 3 nights.

I'm wondering exactly how this will work with all the restrictions on this.
Personally, I think will increase the number of "secondary" trips owners may take on points.

... Don't get me wrong - I think this is a great program. However, I'm wondering how "user-friendly" it is based on resort availability at 7 months. :flower3:

Ditto, sounds great but the 7 month thing I'm not so sure about.

I am too lazy to phone Member Services to ask this question.
It states this is an "alternative" to borrowing. Does that mean you can ONLY add these points to a ressie booked with current UY points? What if I need more than 24 points? Can I borrow some AND add these 24 at $15 each or not? :confused3

I was excited about this until I read the part about the 7 month window, though I understand why they are doing it that way.

I am EXACTLY 24 points short for a trip next year but need to book at 11 months out as it is during Premier Season.

Finally, I think this really is an enhancement to our ownership that the members asked for! :lmao:

It's a great idea. Should help many people who were short a few points for their planned reservations after the points reallocations of the past 2 years.

sounds like a win/win, members ahve a conveniance if they are a few points short and DVC makes a lot more for rooms (points) than they would as breakage. This is assuming that these are not development company owned points.

bookwormde

I like it, there are times where I have needed to borrow 8 points and with the one time transfer in/out rule, not many people are wanting to let go of such a small number of points.

I wonder how much the price will go up though when they see it can/will be popular to try to milk it for every last drop.

Finally, I think this really is an enhancement to our ownership that the members asked for! :lmao:

It's a great idea. Should help many people who were short a few points for their planned reservations after the points reallocations of the past 2 years.

Thank you! It's nice to not lose sight of this since the take-aways "seem" to be more prevalent and get more press. This is truly a value-added benefit. How nice!

Terri

Agreeing that this is a nice option.

Not agreeing with the 7 month window.

What's the point if you book at a high demand timeframe at your home resort and have planned to call at the 11 month window?

Do you just leave off that last night and hope it's still there at 7 months out? And hope that points are still available? And then hope the waitlist works?

I can see if someone wanted to book at a non-home resort. Ok, let the 7 month window apply.

But if I'm short 6 points for a stay in a 2BR at BCV during Food & Wine Festival, I can't get my BCV points for the 11 month window, but have to wait until the 7 month window? What's the point?

I wonder if like some have speculated that there are an abundance of SSR points that haven't been sold and that's why the 7 month window has to be used.

Glad the option is there, but it could have been better.

Are you able to book a cash room at 11 months? If so couldn't you cancel this at 7 months and rebook with these points rented from DVC?

sounds like a win/win, members ahve a conveniance if they are a few points short and DVC makes a lot more for rooms (points) than they would as breakage. This is assuming that these are not development company owned points.

bookwormde

Actually, I assume that the majority of points funding this program will come from developer points Disney controls through its ownership and from exchanges into RCI, DCL, etc. For example, Disney has over 2.6 million undeclared points at AKV, over 1.5 million undeclared points at BLT, and over 462,000 SSR points from the undeclared THV Units. Plus Disney probably owns several thousand points at each of the other DVC resorts. The vast majority of these points become cash reservations through CRO, but what is left is now available to rent to DVC members at $15 a point. One advantage of restricting the use of these rental points to the 7-month window is that Disney can draw these points from any resort that has a surplus of Disney-owned points and let the DVC member use them at any resort.

This is a step in the right direction. :thumbsup2

Along with the 7 month restriction, I also have difficulty with the limit of 24 points. Why did they come up with 24? I'm sorry but that is just half a days points for a two bedroom at BCV (Sun-Thurs, Magic Season) when we usually go, while it could be 3 days in a HHI studio during low season.

I would really like to be able rent a few points to reserve that last day at 11 month time period. ....but yet I do understand the downside of allowing that to happen.

I don't like the 7-month window, but I can see why the limit is 24 points given that 25 points is the minimum for an add on contract. I think at 25 points they see you as a potential add on customer.

Caroline

Perhaps Disney imposes this restriction to help preserve the home resort priority window.

That makes sense to me and I hope they DO keep it at 7 months only (or at a minimum you must own at the resort for 11 as you mentioned); I bought where I have specifically to have home resort priority; I don't want that diluted by these one-time purchases, BUT I do like the program as it is currently written, even if I personally rarely or never use it. :thumbsup2

Is it 24 points per member or by contract? Also I am reading it correctly that it is only for members who have finished paying for their contracts? TIA

Are you able to book a cash room at 11 months? If so couldn't you cancel this at 7 months and rebook with these points rented from DVC?

CRO and Points reservations do not come from the same block of rooms. If you cancel a CRO, it will not be opened up for a Points reservation.

Great point! Studios book the fastest and 1 bedrooms the slowest. Maybe this will encourage owners to upgrade to the larger villas without stripping their points. If you could upgrade to a 1 bedroom for $360 (24x$15) or less would you? Many owners will be in that position.

I think the price is fair and it includes tax, which many at the $10 level do not.

Although BWVBound already posted a case when this option would have encouraged a member to upgrade to a 1BR, I think those cases are rare and probably only involve a stay of 3 nights or less.

And for any vacation plan you expect to repeat, it will quickly become more cost effective to own the points than to buy them at $15 (and up) each year. -- Suzanne

I'm wondering exactly how this will work with all the restrictions on this. Here's my theoretical situation.

I'm booking at my home resort at 11 months out. I'm about 10 points shy from booking a full week (last day is 35 points and I only have 25 after all other days are booked). Based on this rule "One-time-use vacation points cannot be applied retroactively to existing reservations", will I be able to add on one last day at 7 months where I use my remaining 25 points and pay for 10?

Yes, you can do that.

Also, I don't see why they couldn't let us pay for the "extra" points needed to complete a day at the 11 month mark. They could limit this by not letting someone buy points to pay for a whole day - only in the case where you need a few to complete a day's worth of points. :confused3

Even the these one-time-use points will have an assigned Home Resort. The problem is that allowing 11 month bookings would require DVC to track inventory for every every single resort. Additionally, on resorts like BCV, VWL, BWV, it's entirely possible that they will not have enough inventory to meet member demand. Those resorts are all "sold out" and DVC only keeps a moderate supply on hand for member add-ons.

By limiting this to 7 months, DVC could use unsold points from SSR, BLT, AKV or even points they re-acquired via ROFR at the likes of Vero and Hilton Head.

It states this is an "alternative" to borrowing. Does that mean you can ONLY add these points to a ressie booked with current UY points? What if I need more than 24 points? Can I borrow some AND add these 24 at $15 each or not? :confused3

Yes, you can do that. It's just being marketed as an alternative to borrowing. It is not a replacement for borrowing.

I am EXACTLY 24 points short for a trip next year but need to book at 11 months out as it is during Premier Season.

If you have no other options, just book as many nights as you can at 11 months and call back 7 months out to see if the final night can be reserved. Premier Season may be the highest-cost time of the year, but that often prevents it from being the overall highest demand period.

Rooms booked at cash rates through CRO come from a different inventory. You can't book a CRO room and then convert it to points.

Through DVC, rooms are normally only made available for cash rates when DVC projects that the resorts will otherwise be at less than 100% occupancy. If that's the case, there is really no reason to book at 11 months--something will still be available 7 months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts