• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New policy for using or buying a few points??

Two things that are still not clear to me. If I have an existing reservation at 11 mos, can I purchase points at 7 mos mark to link to an existing reservation? Like if I want to add one more day to my reservation, I don't want to check out and back in for that one day. Also, if I have a few points remaining in my UY, but not enough to make a one night reservation, can I purchase just the points I need to ADD to my remaining points and thus make a reservation, at the 7 mos. mark?

My understanding is yes to all the above.

Two things that are still not clear to me. If I have an existing reservation at 11 mos, can I purchase points at 7 mos mark to link to an existing reservation? Like if I want to add one more day to my reservation, I don't want to check out and back in for that one day. Also, if I have a few points remaining in my UY, but not enough to make a one night reservation, can I purchase just the points I need to ADD to my remaining points and thus make a reservation, at the 7 mos. mark?
As I read it the answer is yes to both. The main question that I have is whether you can do this for more than 1 reservations within a UY for any circumstances (my first impression is no) and whether you could do multiple reservations during the same UY but for different UY travel.

I'm confused. I keep hearing purchase, but essentially wouldn't it just be renting additional points for that current reservation need?

I'm sure the answer is yes, I would expect the only restriction is that you not currently have points available in a given UY. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they allowed the purchase if you had points in the same UY but a different resort that the points you were using. I think the exact specifics and options/restrictions will evolve over time.

this would surprise me, but certainly would be very helpful for many

im sure somebody will run into this scenario & post soon:)

Without having to call MS, does anyone know how much they are charging per point?

I'm confused. I keep hearing purchase, but essentially wouldn't it just be renting additional points for that current reservation need?

That is exactly what it is even though phrased as a sale. You will note that the tax (12.5%) that is built into the $15 price of the points is the typical resort tax for renters from Disney and not a sales tax.

this would surprise me, but certainly would be very helpful for many

im sure somebody will run into this scenario & post soon:)
I wouldn't be surprised either way but there really is no downside to it. Regardless there are stategies that will allow this option to be used for almost every situation where one may need more points on a short term or once every few years basis. One could work it where you got as many as 24 points every year if you wanted. It would certainly be workable to get up to 72 extra points for a larger reservation than one normally uses. Obviously if one needs it routinely, doing an add on may have advantages.

I wouldn't be surprised either way but there really is no downside to it. Regardless there are stategies that will allow this option to be used for almost every situation where one may need more points on a short term or once every few years basis. One could work it where you got as many as 24 points every year if you wanted. It would certainly be workable to get up to 72 extra points for a larger reservation than one normally uses. Obviously if one needs it routinely, doing an add on may have advantages.

as long as they stick to the 7 month window, then i agree...upon reflection 11 months widens the pool too much for prime time difficult to grab reservations imo.

im fuzzy though on whether DVC permits owners to bank more points than one of their contracts is actually worth (example: a 100 point contract + 24 DVC rental points being banked & borrowed for possible 372 point rental:confused3).

as long as they stick to the 7 month window, then i agree...upon reflection 11 months widens the pool too much for prime time difficult to grab reservations imo.

im fuzzy though on whether DVC permits owners to bank more points than one of their contracts is actually worth (example: a 100 point contract + 24 DVC rental points being banked & borrowed for possible 372 point rental:confused3).
11 months would be workable in the sense that you could only use points from a given resort before 7 months due to the restrictions. At 7 months they don't have to track the home resort of the points in question and makes it much simpler and easier.

[snip]

The 24 points "rented" from DVC cannot be banked or borrowed. They must be used in the UY for which they are first purchased. What it would allow is a member to take a 24 point vacation in Year 1, a 3X your total plus 24 points in year 2 and a 24 point vacation in Year 3.

When you receive transferred points, which are bankable, you can bank more than your total number of points, althoug I think the max is 3 times. -- Suzanne

While the POS gives a statement as to how many points you can aggregate by banking/borrowing of 300%, I read that as more a statement of expectation than a restriction. While the 24 points cannot be banked, transferred points can and thus more than a full years worth of points can be banked. Also, the banking windows have not been applied to transferred points that I am aware of but that could change at some point.

that's awesome that they did that

We are making a ressie for late October this week. Can I bank some of my 2010 points into 2011 first and then purchase up the 24 points allowable in order to have enough for our stay? In other words, we need 40 pts. for our stay. I would like to bank all my points with the exception of 16 pts. and purchase the one time use allowable 24 points to equal my 40 required for our stay. I'd like to do this because we will be heading back again in May 2011 and banking will help for that stay along with purchasing the 24 allowable one time use points again in 2011.

We are making a ressie for late October this week. Can I bank some of my 2010 points into 2011 first and then purchase up the 24 points allowable in order to have enough for our stay? In other words, we need 40 pts. for our stay. I would like to bank all my points with the exception of 16 pts. and purchase the one time use allowable 24 points to equal my 40 required for our stay. I'd like to do this because we will be heading back again in May 2011 and banking will help for that stay along with purchasing the 24 allowable one time use points again in 2011.
My understanding is yes you can do this and I mentioned that exact scenario above as one of the ways it could be used. Still, we're still learning the process which is new and likely to change, you should contact DVC to ask about this. If it's allowed, you'll likely be able to do both on one call and thus avoid getting different answers that affect your situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter