New policy for using or buying a few points??

I just wish this had come along a month earlier, as we definitely could have used it. We didn't want to borrow as many points from 2011 for this years trip, but we knew that we were planning on a 25 point add on next year, so we knew that borrowing meant we HAD to do the add on. If this option were around just a month ago when we were re-doing our reservation, we would've been able to take advantage of it, as we didn't need a ton of points. Oh well. I'm sure it will come in handy for many whose weekday vacations now cost more points.

Sounds like a great way for DVC to make extra cash.

Chuck, do you think the point reallocation changed the way DVC'rs travel? ie: I was before the 1st re-allocation a Sun-Thu DVC traveler and I remain so even after the 2nd re-allocation. I seldom use week-end points.

I'm not Chuck but I can tell you that it HAS changed the way that we travel. I previously traveled from weekday to weekday, usually a Tues to Monday or a Thurs to Wed. Now I've started to add additional weekend nights by traveling Sat to Sunday. The points don't hurt as much as they did before so we can add more weekend nights to our trips.

I'm not Chuck but I can tell you that it HAS changed the way that we travel. I previously traveled from weekday to weekday, usually a Tues to Monday or a Thurs to Wed. Now I've started to add additional weekend nights by traveling Sat to Sunday. The points don't hurt as much as they did before so we can add more weekend nights to our trips.

All debating aside, I think this ability to add a few points it is a great idea! I only wish they had done it years ago. I can recall many trips that would have been much easier to book, and I have gone to the R/T page to acquire a small number of points to complete a reservation and just the time saved with this new policy is worth the few extra dollars it might cost.

I agree that there would be a number of issues. The management software would be more complicated and I doubt they could justify the development costs or the wait for the software to be developed. They probably will re-deploy software they have used to manage developer points from prior incentive programs. And I imagine most of the points in the pool will be from resorts that are not sold out so BLT, SSR and AKV owners looking for a few home resort points 11 months out would be more likely to get them than BCV or VWL owners, causing some members to be upset that they didn't have equal access to points at the 11-month window. So restricting this to the 7 month window is understandable but it also eliminates a lot of potential customers for this new program. I think many of us would only find this useful if we could get those last few points we need 11 months out to book that last night of our stay that now costs more points due to the point re-allocations. As I said, it's understandable but it's also disappointing.
No doubt it restricts the usefulness but does simplify the program. It remains to be seen what points they'll use for this, is it only developer points or all possible sources? I'm guessing it's al sources where points are available which would eliminate undeclared inventory but allow disposal of exchanged points. I don't think this would help with breakage inventory because that's more unit specific than points specific. I also doubt they'd have enough points consistently to allow this routinely at 11 months out. They could change it to allow these points to be used in this limited fashion 11 months out but not only would they need a POS change, it'd be one that would require an actual member vote as I read it.

Overall it's a good option and a fair price and seems set up reasonably to help members who are a little short without any major impact to other competing members. Like any other program it will not be perfect and there will be some that are left out for one of several possible reasons.

Chuck, do you think the point reallocation changed the way DVC'rs travel? ie: I was before the 1st re-allocation a Sun-Thu DVC traveler and I remain so even after the 2nd re-allocation. I seldom use week-end points.
I think it's both ways. I think the reallocation was needed due to member changes over time and expect that there will be changes in member behavior with the current system. However, it seems they've swung far past the numbers that will balance weekend and weekday usage, the question is why. Are they trying to quickly change member behavior and then later reallocate back the other way to end up in between, or do they have something else in store, maybe a minimum stay.

I wonder, though, if this basically negates the effect the recent reallocations had on the majority of owners, does it also basically negate the overall function of the reallocation?

In other words, if balancing occupany needed to be done, and this renting negates the balancing for more members, will it lead to even more severe reallocations in the coming years?

I think it does two things...it allows members who were complaining of being 1-5 points shy of a stay to be able to continue to use their membership. Second, I think it will help eat up developer inventory that frequently goes unused with CRO bookings, which in turn helps create positive revenue.

Does anyone know if you can purchase the points for a new reservation? Or does it have to be an add on to a reservation that you do not have enough points for? We have already made reservations for all of our 2010 UY points. We are thinking of doing a short trip early next year, can I make a new reservation by purchasing the rental points?

Does anyone know if you can purchase the points for a new reservation? Or does it have to be an add on to a reservation that you do not have enough points for? We have already made reservations for all of our 2010 UY points. We are thinking of doing a short trip early next year, can I make a new reservation by purchasing the rental points?
Sounds like yes, you can. But you can only make the reservation 7 months or sooner before arrival and there is a limit to the number of points you can rent from this program (no more than 24).

I wonder, though, if this basically negates the effect the recent reallocations had on the majority of owners, does it also basically negate the overall function of the reallocation?

In other words, if balancing occupany needed to be done, and this renting negates the balancing for more members, will it lead to even more severe reallocations in the coming years?

Or was the reallocation really needed at all but forced people into a situaton where this offer would be something they would utilize.

Did DVC in fact orchestrate the entire thing to make money.

Or was the reallocation necessary but after a barage of complaints they fixed it with a means to make money for them. Win-win for DVC.

I think you can rent these points even though you have banked, current, or borrowed points of your own. The only restriction is that your account is in good standing (all dues and mortgage payments are up to date).

I purchased 24 points today and inquired about restrictions, the MS representative told me you could only purchase if you were out of current points to use. Since we are always borrowing that's not an issue for us, might as well buy 24 points each use year to conserve points.

Or was the reallocation really needed at all but forced people into a situaton where this offer would be something they would utilize.

Did DVC in fact orchestrate the entire thing to make money.

Or was the reallocation necessary but after a barage of complaints they fixed it with a means to make money for them. Win-win for DVC.
Clearly a reallocation was needed. I don't see this policy as a money maker for DVC and don't think it will be for DVD either. What it might do is reduce the cash equivalent exchange options long term since DVD runs this program on a zero sum approach.

I purchased 24 points today and inquired about restrictions, the MS representative told me you could only purchase if you were out of current points to use. Since we are always borrowing that's not an issue for us, might as well buy 24 points each use year to conserve points.
That is a good point, even if one doesn't really need the points at a given time it will allow one to save as many as 24 points a year to aggregate points for a larger trip at some point. One could ultimately use 24 points every year with proper planning.

:confused:if u have banked (some) points into your next UY & later decide u then need to borrow points for spur-of-the-moment trip & would like to buy/rent some extra points from DVC, can u purchase points for that trip?

Clearly a reallocation was needed. I don't see this policy as a money maker for DVC and don't think it will be for DVD either. What it might do is reduce the cash equivalent exchange options long term since DVD runs this program on a zero sum approach.

Very possible.

:confused:if u have banked (some) points into your next UY & later decide u then need to borrow points for spur-of-the-moment trip & would like to buy/rent some extra points from DVC, can u purchase points for that trip?

Excellent question!

I'm sure the answer is yes, I would expect the only restriction is that you not currently have points available in a given UY. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they allowed the purchase if you had points in the same UY but a different resort that the points you were using. I think the exact specifics and options/restrictions will evolve over time.

...(snip)... I think the exact specifics and options/restrictions will evolve over time.
I agree. :)

On another board, someone reported buying 5 points yesterday (4/17). She said you have to ask for it (as the CMs are not all that familiar with it yet. She had to stop the CM from automatically borrowing points to complete her reservation).

Her CM had to conference in another CM who secured the points, made sure the purchased points would match the reservation and took her credit card payment. She was told the points were developer points.

But what I found very interesting was that she was told that these truly are "one time use" points. Even if she cancels the reservation more than 30 days in advance, the 5 purchased points cannot be reused. That's new information!

But what I found very interesting was that she was told that these truly are "one time use" points. Even if she cancels the reservation more than 30 days in advance, the 5 purchased points cannot be reused. That's new information!

That is not correct. I specifically questioned a DVC rep (someone higher in the food chain than Member Services) about what flexibility exists if the reservation is canceled. The points CAN be used for a re-booking, but expire at the end of the member's Use Year. Here is the exact quote:

One-time-use vacation points expire according to the use year of the reservation booked and are non-refundable, non-transferable, and cannot be banked or borrowed.

That is not correct. I specifically questioned a DVC rep (someone higher in the food chain than Member Services) about what flexibility exists if the reservation is canceled. The points CAN be used for a re-booking, but expire at the end of the member's Use Year. Here is the exact quote:

One-time-use vacation points expire according to the use year of the reservation booked and are non-refundable, non-transferable, and cannot be banked or borrowed.

OK. Good to know. I guess the really important info then is that the CMs are not all that familiar with the program just yet. :teeth:

The info clearly states they are one time use but they expire the end of the UY as Tim suggests. Other than avoiding raiding the home resort inventory at a high demand resort and not interfering too much for add on sales, they really have no incentive to make this overly restrictive. ASAMOF, I wouldn't be surprised to see the program extended and the min add on increased again.

As for developer vs other points, I wouldn't put much stock in what MS CM say in that area since they likely don't know. Even if it's developer points only, it helps other members related to trading out because there would be less developer point CRO reservations and thus less competition. The other question is whether cash days remain an option, I would guess yes but could see it going either way.

Two things that are still not clear to me. If I have an existing reservation at 11 mos, can I purchase points at 7 mos mark to link to an existing reservation? Like if I want to add one more day to my reservation, I don't want to check out and back in for that one day. Also, if I have a few points remaining in my UY, but not enough to make a one night reservation, can I purchase just the points I need to ADD to my remaining points and thus make a reservation, at the 7 mos. mark?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter