New member set up help

Minnie84

Mouseketeer
We just received our new DVC member access code and are impatiently waiting on our member ID. In the meantime, I was lurking around figuring out how to set up our new DVC accounts, but have a bit of a conundrum. I have an MDE account that I have always used with my husband and kids under my account. But now, since my husband and are both on the new DVC membership, it looks like I will need to set up his own account. We have a trip already booked, not on DVC points, that he is already linked up with tickets, reservations, etc. under my MDE. How do I go about making his own MDE, so that I can then make his own DVC account? Does that makes sense? LOL. If I make him an MDE account now, will that be able to link up with his "profile" I already have created under my MDE? Or will it create a whole new profile for him and completely screw this all up?

We have the same problem. He needs to make his own MDE account and then you will have to call to have them merge the two accounts, the newly created one and the original one under you.

We have the same problem. He needs to make his own MDE account and then you will have to call to have them merge the two accounts, the newly created one and the original one under you.
That's what I feared....having to phone in. Thanks for your help!

That's what I feared....having to phone in. Thanks for your help!
No, you don't have to phone in.

He can create his own MDE. Then you go into YOUR MDE, into your Family & Friends list, find his name, and scroll down to where it says Share Plans. (I'm using the phone app here.)

I assume you're geographically close enough that you could use the Linking Code method. He opens the MDE app on his phone, goes to My Profile, scrolls down to Show My Linking Code, and taps on it. On your phone, in your MDE app, go to My Profile and open your F&F list, scroll down to his name, tap it, then look under Share Plans and tap on Scan Linking Code. Your phone scans the code on his phone, and that links the two MDE accounts.

The alternative that you'll see is for you to click on Send Email. Fill in the email address he used to create his own MDE account and then click Send Invitation. He accepts your invitation, and that links the two MDE accounts.

Then, voila', all the tickets, reservations, etc. that you have linked to him in your MDE account will be transferred over to his account. And both of you need to be sure that you give each other full permission to share and plan and share photos and whatever else MDE asks you to set permissions for.

Whether you do this before or after the trip shouldn't matter, but it won't hurt anything to wait until after the trip. The only thing will be that when he scans into the parks, he won't get the purple Mickey ring and "Welcome Home!" at the tapstyles! And he won't be able to get DVC discounts unless you're there to prove membership.

No, you don't have to phone in.

He can create his own MDE. Then you go into YOUR MDE, into your Family & Friends list, find his name, and scroll down to where it says Share Plans. (I'm using the phone app here.)

I assume you're geographically close enough that you could use the Linking Code method. He opens the MDE app on his phone, goes to My Profile, scrolls down to Show My Linking Code, and taps on it. On your phone, in your MDE app, go to My Profile and open your F&F list, scroll down to his name, tap it, then look under Share Plans and tap on Scan Linking Code. Your phone scans the code on his phone, and that links the two MDE accounts.

The alternative that you'll see is for you to click on Send Email. Fill in the email address he used to create his own MDE account and then click Send Invitation. He accepts your invitation, and that links the two MDE accounts.

Then, voila', all the tickets, reservations, etc. that you have linked to him in your MDE account will be transferred over to his account. And both of you need to be sure that you give each other full permission to share and plan and share photos and whatever else MDE asks you to set permissions for.

Whether you do this before or after the trip shouldn't matter, but it won't hurt anything to wait until after the trip. The only thing will be that when he scans into the parks, he won't get the purple Mickey ring and "Welcome Home!" at the tapstyles! And he won't be able to get DVC discounts unless you're there to prove membership.
Great! Thanks so much for this!!!

If he doesn't have an MDE account now, why does he need his own DVC account? You don't have to set one up for him.

In order to show DVC, you need both a DVC account set up and a MDE account.
Is that important to the OP? My wife has one contract in her name where I'm the associate member, and she doesn't show up anywhere as DVC. Since I manage everything, she's never had a need to "show DVC."

We just received our new DVC member access code and are impatiently waiting on our member ID. In the meantime, I was lurking around figuring out how to set up our new DVC accounts, but have a bit of a conundrum. I have an MDE account that I have always used with my husband and kids under my account. But now, since my husband and are both on the new DVC membership, it looks like I will need to set up his own account. We have a trip already booked, not on DVC points, that he is already linked up with tickets, reservations, etc. under my MDE. How do I go about making his own MDE, so that I can then make his own DVC account? Does that makes sense? LOL. If I make him an MDE account now, will that be able to link up with his "profile" I already have created under my MDE? Or will it create a whole new profile for him and completely screw this all up?
Have him create his MDE first. Then, in your profile, go to where you manage him. Click "invite" under the managed-by-you version of him, and invite his email address. This will merge the managed-by-you version of him with the managed-by-himself version of him.

Or just do what @CarolynFH said, which is exactly what I said, only she said it a day before me and I completely missed it.

Last edited:
As a protip for anyone else to avoid this situation in the first place, it's advisable for every adult to have their own My Disney Experience account from the very beginning. Absolutely nothing would prevent a single "planner" in the party to book things for everyone. I think people use the "Managed By" feature because they think they won't be able to plan for the whole group otherwise, but that's not the case. "Managed By" is really designed to accommodate children.

Is that important to the OP? My wife has one contract in her name where I'm the associate member, and she doesn't show up anywhere as DVC. Since I manage everything, she's never had a need to "show DVC."

Being resale, probably not at this point, but you just never know.

However, each person who is an owner and wants to have access to a digital notation would need accounts for both.

Associates are different.

Being resale, probably not at this point, but you just never know.

However, each person who is an owner and wants to have access to a digital notation would need accounts for both.

Associates are different.

Well he really just doesn't want to be left out when he scans his magic band and it greats him with "welcome home". Got it all figured out! Thanks everyone for your help!

As a protip for anyone else to avoid this situation in the first place, it's advisable for every adult to have their own My Disney Experience account from the very beginning.
I see you want to help Grandpa reset his password again LOL.

If you control an adult, you can pull up their tickets and handle everything for them.

As a protip for anyone else to avoid this situation in the first place, it's advisable for every adult to have their own My Disney Experience account from the very beginning. Absolutely nothing would prevent a single "planner" in the party to book things for everyone. I think people use the "Managed By" feature because they think they won't be able to plan for the whole group otherwise, but that's not the case. "Managed By" is really designed to accommodate children.

I have to agree. I had added my friend since she has traveled with me for several years now.

We went this summer with her son who had put her in her MDE with her ticket.

I had to have GR fix it because my account wasn’t the one with the ticket.

It would be easier for everyone to have their own and from now on, I will have everyone I travel with create it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter