New Fast Pass PLUS converting paper tickets and passes

The technical issue is that the fastpass machines do not have any capability of reading a RFID chip. They are only capable of reading a magnetic stripe. The bracelets do not have a magnetic stripe.

Yes, but they could set it up so that those with RFID get virtual FPs instead of paper FPs, but they all come out of the same pool.

I was also hoping this was the case, but I don't think it is.

When you're in the park, and you realize one of the FP+ you picked is no good, you can exchange it for a better time (pending availability). If you could get additional FPs once in the park, then there would be no need to exchange the one you don't want for a new one (unless it's for the same ride, and there's that limit of 1 FP for each ride).

I still think the 3 is the limit for advanced booking only. You can change your time if it doesn't work. Meaning yes, maybe you will only be allowed one fast pass per day per ride. Which really makes sense. They don't want one family of 15 riding TSM 15 times and using all the fast passes. OR they could just word it that way assuming if your time doesn't work you would want to exchange your time, not forget it completely and go about booking other things. This would also allow that time slot to open for someone else instead of you just skipping it over and holding that spot for nothing.

I find it very hard to believe 3 is it. Esp with the consistent wording of 'in advance' or 'prior to your trip' that accompanies the 3. Again, I could be wrong, but to me, this thinking just makes much more sense.

Correct, it appears you can book 3 in advance.

The problem is the verbiage about not being able to use the current FP system once you convert to RFID tickets (as stated in the T&C). Why? Because of Cheshire Figment's post that the current FP machines can only read an actual ticket, not an RFID.

The answer we need is will the current FP attractions also get a RFID reader/issuer for use once inside the park.

They don't want one family of 15 riding TSM 15 times and using all the fast passes.

Ok, 15 times is a little extreme :goodvibes but this is one of the things I have been trying to figure out. If the alloted 3 FPs HAVE to be for different rides/attractions. At the other three parks, no problem!

However at DHS, the only ride our family is interested in getting FPs for is TSM. Having 3 FPs for TSM would be great! We don't do ToT or RnRC. Not sure what else we would use a FP for in DHS. :confused3

Correct, it appears you can book 3 in advance.

The problem is the verbiage about not being able to use the current FP system once you convert to RFID tickets (as stated in the T&C). Why? Because of Cheshire Figment's post that the current FP machines can only read an actual ticket, not an RFID.

The answer we need is will the current FP attractions also get a RFID reader/issuer for use once inside the park.

So, for people like us (of which there are many around here) who live nearby and have APs, why can't Disney allow us to keep the paper ticket to use in the regular FP machines *and* be able to create FP+ reservations? I can see the problem with having to have two tickets in the park (both would have to be scanned to be activated for that day, right?) but being able to reserve ahead of time while still being able to use the regular FP system *should* be very doable for Disney.

As I'm reading this now, us switching to FP+ would be STUPID!

In what I'm thinking. Yes, the 3 are in advance but once you are there in the parks you won't need your regular paper fast past because you can book more (maybe only a certain amount) once in the park so the paper fast pass would be useless.

Again, only my assumption. I just can't see them saying this '3 in advance' over and over like it's a good thing if you aren't able to go to the kiosk and add more when in the park. You won't need an actual ticket because you have the kiosk and app, etc... This is what, to me, would enhance my disney experience. I may be totally off here, but it's the only thing that makes sense..

I picture it like this. I do my 60 day online check in and book me a ride on Little Mermaid at 11:00 AM on Wednesday because most of us already have an idea of which days we will be where. This is why we check out crowd prediction calendars. I'll want to head over to PP next and then Space Mtn. These will be my advanced bookings. Then I head to Pooh. 45 min wait. UGH! What I'm thinking is then, with FP+ I can log in and just chose what time I want to ride pooh later today. With regular FP I'd then head over the Pooh. 45 min wait with a return of 5pm. That's no good because I'll be at my ADR at CP. And if I come back later the return time will be 9 and that's no good because I want to watch Wishes. So I'm stuck waiting. Make sense?

True we won't be able to use the regular fast pass paper ticket thing, but, all the benefits of the fp will be in our bracelet. It's wishful thinking I guess. But I just don't see Disney saying 3 and that's it

In what I'm thinking. Yes, the 3 are in advance but once you are there in the parks you won't need your regular paper fast past because you can book more (maybe only a certain amount) once in the park so the paper fast pass would be useless.

Again, only my assumption. I just can't see them saying this '3 in advance' over and over like it's a good thing if you aren't able to go to the kiosk and add more when in the park. You won't need an actual ticket because you have the kiosk and app, etc... This is what, to me, would enhance my disney experience. I may be totally off here, but it's the only thing that makes sense..

I picture it like this. I do my 60 day online check in and book me a ride on Little Mermaid at 11:00 AM on Wednesday because most of us already have an idea of which days we will be where. This is why we check out crowd prediction calendars. I'll want to head over to PP next and then Space Mtn. These will be my advanced bookings. Then I head to Pooh. 45 min wait. UGH! What I'm thinking is then, with FP+ I can log in and just chose what time I want to ride pooh later today. With regular FP I'd then head over the Pooh. 45 min wait with a return of 5pm. That's no good because I'll be at my ADR at CP. And if I come back later the return time will be 9 and that's no good because I want to watch Wishes. So I'm stuck waiting. Make sense?

True we won't be able to use the regular fast pass paper ticket thing, but, all the benefits of the fp will be in our bracelet. It's wishful thinking I guess. But I just don't see Disney saying 3 and that's it

I agree what you're describing would be GREAT

But, from what they've released about it, I fear it's wishful thinking. Nothing from Disney even implies this to be the case.

Why wouldn't they tout this as one of the great things about the program? They wouldn't need to include specifics (time between passes, or max numbers, or limits on particular rides), but just the concept would be a MAJOR selling point.

Also, we don't know the avg number of FP/person that currently are used, including the guests who don't use any FP. With FP+, the idea is that most everyone will use them. It's very likely that with 3/guest, there won't be any left for extra day of FP+

Now, with both systems in place, and guests must choose one or the other, the guests who opt out of FP+ will, essentially, have their allotment of FPs available through the old method.

So, for people like us (of which there are many around here) who live nearby and have APs, why can't Disney allow us to keep the paper ticket to use in the regular FP machines *and* be able to create FP+ reservations? I can see the problem with having to have two tickets in the park (both would have to be scanned to be activated for that day, right?) but being able to reserve ahead of time while still being able to use the regular FP system *should* be very doable for Disney.

As I'm reading this now, us switching to FP+ would be STUPID!

Yes. They are, according to most reports, phasing out of fp completely. It will be fp+ or nothing, eventually. Data collection is not helpful if half your guests can opt out.
RFID will be for everyone. FP+ is all you get. Right now they are training us by letting us pick, but when you get there and get penalized because everyone else picked their fp+ 6 mths ago, then you will be convinced (hopefully) that you must jump on the fp+ bandwagon.

I'm also now wondering if having my annual pass already added to my online disney account will "automatically" opt me in for the electronic ticket and FP+. My annual pass # is in my disney account because I use it for making online AP discounted resort reservations. Once FP+ rolls out, will they just see your AP in the online profile and "poof" you're FP+ whether you want it or not? Unless they change the FP+ "one park per day" limitation OR allow use of regular FP, I don't want any part of it... Stand-by lines will be much worse because people won't know they were somehow "automatically" transferred to FP+ or didn't schedule in advance.

As the plan stands now, Annual Passes should now be advertised as "one park per day" plus additional parks in stand-by lines only. The only way for this NOT to be the case is preventing AP holders from some of the nice benefits of the new system by staying with "only" the old FP system with park hopping. Maybe Disney is trying to lower the number of annual passholders? Seems crazy but I'm starting to wonder.

However at DHS, the only ride our family is interested in getting FPs for is TSM. Having 3 FPs for TSM would be great! We don't do ToT or RnRC. Not sure what else we would use a FP for in DHS. :confused3

I would like one for F! or Indiana Jones in a prime seating location so we don't have to get there 2 hours ahead.

My in-laws purchased our park tickets as a Christmas gift for our trip in May. The tickets are not paper. They are like credit cards. Does that mean we won't be able to use regular fast pass and be forced to use the new fp+?

Yes. They are, according to most reports, phasing out of fp completely. It will be fp+ or nothing, eventually. Data collection is not helpful if half your guests can opt out.
RFID will be for everyone. FP+ is all you get. Right now they are training us by letting us pick, but when you get there and get penalized because everyone else picked their fp+ 6 mths ago, then you will be convinced (hopefully) that you must jump on the fp+ bandwagon.

*IF* AP holders are allowed to collect more than 3 FP+ in a park in one day (and eventually be able to get them in multiple parks in one day) then, fine. Until then, I'll stick with what's been working for YEARS.

I would like one for F! or Indiana Jones in a prime seating location so we don't have to get there 2 hours ahead.

Assuming FP+ is offered for F!, the seating location will probably be all the way to the right (stage left?), where the dining package seating is.

My in-laws purchased our park tickets as a Christmas gift for our trip in May. The tickets are not paper. They are like credit cards. Does that mean we won't be able to use regular fast pass and be forced to use the new fp+?

those are vouchers and will be exchanged for 'paper' (tyvek) tickets upon arrival at a guest services location.

Skylarr29 said:
those are vouchers and will be exchanged for 'paper' (tyvek) tickets upon arrival at a guest services location.

Actually since they are exchanging them in may, it's possible they will get magic bands. No one knows when APs will go +

Actually since they are exchanging them in may, it's possible they will get magic bands. No one knows when APs will go +

The PP said park tickets, not AP's. The same thing still applies that no one knows what will happen then, very true, I was just pointing out to PP that those are vouchers, not the tickets, they didn't seem to realize that.

As both a Local AND a Premium Passholder I can very firmly state that if I am forced into losing my park hopping for the new FP+ system, then they can certainly bet that I, my wife and the other 6 AP friends in our crew will NOT be renewing our APs again.

For those wondering, rumors indicate an initial rollout at Disney's Boardwalk Resort (all willing guests can participate) in late February. Take it with a grain of salt, though.

I feel like I am very unreasonably stressed out about this.

I have an AP, my husband has quite a few days left on a 10 day/no exp ticket purchased from UT, and we are traveling with family members in June. The other 4 people we'll be touring with plan on purchasing their tickets from UT within the next couple of months. We are all staying together at Pop on a room only reservation.

Will they still get regular old paper tickets from UT?? I do NOT want my AP to be FP+ enabled, but I do want all of us to be on the same system, which I'm hoping can still be regular old FP and NO FP plus or annoying bracelets (I HATE having something around my wrist and find it very irritating)

Ugh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter