New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

Did you have the privacy settings in the D23 app turned on? Like turning off the analytics? We did that last Expo and never received a survey. Did it again this Expo and have not received a survey. If you don't receive a survey but would like to send in your comments, try sending an email to D23 Guest Services. It can't hurt.
I had the analytics turned off in the app, and I received the survey email.

Though I can no longer open the app on my phone, it still opens on the iPad & I've confirmed those settings are off.

The app stopped working on our iPhones right after Expo closed on the last day -- like 10 minutes after Expo closed. Interesting that it still opens on your iPad.

Re the survey email - it may be a random selection as to who receives it. I used to work in a Marketing dept and we would do customer surveys. We would not survey every possible customer, there would be a random selection process for who would be included.

So great suggestion @theluckyrabbit to email guest relations to provide feedback if a survey was not received.

The app stopped working on our iPhones right after Expo closed on the last day -- like 10 minutes after Expo closed. Interesting that it still opens on your iPad.
Maybe they forgot to disable it on iPads, or did not figure anyone would have it there? I will have to check in a few days to see if it stops there, ie if they are monitoring this forum and see my post :earsboy:

Strange about the app on your phone, I read you comment and decided to see if it still opened and had content. It did, the only thing that wasn't there anymore was the list of Stagepass reservations I made. It also worked a couple days ago because I forgotten the name of a panel that someone asked me about.

Re the survey email - it may be a random selection as to who receives it. I used to work in a Marketing dept and we would do customer surveys. We would not survey every possible customer, there would be a random selection process for who would be included.

So great suggestion @theluckyrabbit to email guest relations to provide feedback if a survey was not received.

My husband was sent a survey to his email and we never used his email for any of the Expo registrations. He is a free member of D23 and since there were questions about D23 in general we figured that's why he got it. I am the Gold member of the family and I also received an email.

Strange about the app on your phone...
It gets even stranger -- I went to check my app again... and it works now! And the error that I was getting all through Expo which made my app unusable is gone now. (Even the Gold Member IT guy said he'd never seen that error before and had no idea how to fix it!) I have Franken-App!

Last edited:

So, this was my first D23 Expo, and really my first con of this sort. I attended Destination D last year though, but the 2 are night and day. I actually think Destination D is a little more up my alley, because I absolutely love the history and imagineering stuff. Anyway, I was attending with @OhioStateBuckeye, so I had great advice and wasn't too surprised by anything. Needless to say, I still didn't get to do every panel that I wanted. I did MOG first thing on Friday. I should have gone to the Gold member lounge then too, because I never got that darn pressed penny. The line was just always way too long :( I think I forgot to complain about that on the survey. I'm a little frustrated that some of the panels that I couldn't get into, standby and gold lines were closed, actually still had room. I really wanted to get into HM 50th but stayed away from the area too long after CMs were yelling at everyone to get away. I was right there, because we had just gone to the Simpsons. I also was discouraged from getting into standby for Archives panel by a CM who said I probably wouldn't get in. Loved the Disney+, Simpsons, Parks, Storytelling, and Character Voices panels. Sunday was the best day of the Expo. Friday, I only did MOG and Disney+. I was a little dismayed that everything, and I mean absolutely everything, had a line, and some were really long. I skipped the archives pavilion and gold member lounge because of this. We also tried to volunteer twice and were turned away due to too many people:confused3 Despite all of this, I did have a good time overall. I think I learned some good lessons, and actually accomplished a lot, considering it was my first time and that I only had 3 stage passes. I did have to forfeit my Marc Davis stage pass, since Parks ran over. I didn't use my chair or sleep pad, because I was worried they would take it. I did bring a cushion and inflatable pillow though. I think next time I would bring the seat cushion, my inflatable pillow, and 2 blankets (one for me and one for the ground). However, one day they had a sign up about now blankets. If it fits in your backpack, what do they care? I appreciate all of the info and advice I learned from this thread.

Today was a good day, and better because it was spent with DIS friends.

It was so nice to meet you and Nancy Friday morning in the basement.

I'm with you on not sure we'll be back.

I can probably be easily convinced, I get excited easily and jump onto the hype train. My boyfriend has sworn it off though.

I'll probably be game for the next one, so I will need a partner in crime:rotfl2:Also, I don't need much convincing for an excuse to get out to Disneyland. I don't think my son would enjoy it. Although, he will be 15 by then, so maybe. My husband is flexible, but he will have to babysit DS if he doesn't want to go. Plus, if school has already started, then DS won't be able to go.

I just got my email with the link to the post D23 Expo survey. *cracks knuckles*

There were so many things that I forgot to mention in that last text paragraph. I hope the point gets across to them about how much disparity there was with the reservation system as implemented, but I am not holding my breath and will expect more of the same or worse for the next one. I am a pessimistic optimist; I hope for the best but expect the worst::yes::

Last edited:
I do have to say that I will miss this thread.

The best times I had at the expo were mostly due to my friends, so I was glad to have you there @soniam @skier_pete , other friends who aren't on here and new friend from the Disney Movie Rewards Fantasmic party whose screen name I didn't get, Brett right?

Also, I didn't get a survey and I'm very upset about it.

I'll have to write yet another email to the D23 general email.

I do have to say that I will miss this thread.

The best times I had at the expo were mostly due to my friends, so I was glad to have you there @soniam @skier_pete , other friends who aren't on here and new friend from the Disney Movie Rewards Fantasmic party whose screen name I didn't get, Brett right?

Also, I didn't get a survey and I'm very upset about it.

I'll have to write yet another email to the D23 general email.

@ThisIsHowWeDo was at the DMR party. Just sent you an email. I was glad to be there with you and the gang too.

It's been a busy week of playing catch up with work and the like. But here's how things went for me:

First and foremost, thanks to all for the pro-tips, advice, and venting. It helped me know what I going to witness as well things to avoid.

As a first timer at the Expo, overall I really enjoyed the whole experience. I went in with very low expectations as I knew it was different, for better or worse, from other Con events. Started the morning flying standby for the Legends panel which had a few hiccups. Loved the hearing Xtina sing, RDJr share his skyride story, and become more familiar with the others. Made it onto the showfloor for a bit to check out the different booths. Loved the energy from the vendors and other attendees. Then hoofed it back to the Disney+ panel w/ a SP where I screamed and then cried when the Lizzie McGuire announcement was made. Excited for the most of the other offerings. Then signed up for Disney+ and was impressed by their customer service and ability to answer questions. Then spent the last 2 hours on the showfloor trying to see all the things. The archives exhibit and autotopia was a highlight as it's fun to see the details up close.

I agree that the Gold Lounge booth could have been organized better. Tried several times but the line was too slow or I was told an hour before the expo ended the line had been cut off bc it takes 40 minutes to go through. Seemed like they had too many bottle necks for things that slowed down the line (entry, giveaway, water, pressed penny). Related, I appreciate cast members and vendors that knew their lines/booths inside and out. For example at Team of Heroes, I was told it was a 10 minute line to go through. 35 minutes later I was walking out. On the flip side, the costumes archive peeps said it was about 15 minutes to get in and then going at your own pace. The line ended up being a bit less than that.

Another weekend highlight was the DMR party. Was fun to feel like a VIP for the night with great food for all (Vegan and carnivores lol), fun vibe, great gift bags, and the opportunity to see Fantasmic with fellow peeps here. if you ever run into @soniam and @OhioStateBuckeye you're in for a good time. Uber friendly, hilarious, kind, and wise about all things Disney. While I don't mind running solo, thanks for making the night memorable.

I'm thinking of attending again in the future however may attend every other expo. From things shared here, made mental notes about which panels to hit up next time (VoiceOver, Mousequerade, Footsteps w/ Walk).

It's been a busy week of playing catch up with work and the like. But here's how things went for me:

First and foremost, thanks to all for the pro-tips, advice, and venting. It helped me know what I going to witness as well things to avoid.

As a first timer at the Expo, overall I really enjoyed the whole experience. I went in with very low expectations as I knew it was different, for better or worse, from other Con events. Started the morning flying standby for the Legends panel which had a few hiccups. Loved the hearing Xtina sing, RDJr share his skyride story, and become more familiar with the others. Made it onto the showfloor for a bit to check out the different booths. Loved the energy from the vendors and other attendees. Then hoofed it back to the Disney+ panel w/ a SP where I screamed and then cried when the Lizzie McGuire announcement was made. Excited for the most of the other offerings. Then signed up for Disney+ and was impressed by their customer service and ability to answer questions. Then spent the last 2 hours on the showfloor trying to see all the things. The archives exhibit and autotopia was a highlight as it's fun to see the details up close.

I agree that the Gold Lounge booth could have been organized better. Tried several times but the line was too slow or I was told an hour before the expo ended the line had been cut off bc it takes 40 minutes to go through. Seemed like they had too many bottle necks for things that slowed down the line (entry, giveaway, water, pressed penny). Related, I appreciate cast members and vendors that knew their lines/booths inside and out. For example at Team of Heroes, I was told it was a 10 minute line to go through. 35 minutes later I was walking out. On the flip side, the costumes archive peeps said it was about 15 minutes to get in and then going at your own pace. The line ended up being a bit less than that.

Another weekend highlight was the DMR party. Was fun to feel like a VIP for the night with great food for all (Vegan and carnivores lol), fun vibe, great gift bags, and the opportunity to see Fantasmic with fellow peeps here. if you ever run into @soniam and @OhioStateBuckeye you're in for a good time. Uber friendly, hilarious, kind, and wise about all things Disney. While I don't mind running solo, thanks for making the night memorable.

I'm thinking of attending again in the future however may attend every other expo. From things shared here, made mental notes about which panels to hit up next time (VoiceOver, Mousequerade, Footsteps w/ Walk).

He gives me too much credit, really I was very grumpy (feet were starting to hurt).

I did enjoy our series of pics with our gift bag movies though, let me know if you want me to PM you copies. That really was a wide range of movies, from Force Awakens blu ray to @soniam 's Tinkerbell movie.

The Lizzie McGuire show coming back sure was a good fake out. They had us all thinking that they were just going to remake the show. They even showed a bunch of pictures of younger actresses they considered for the part. Then he was just like well, we couldn't find a good replacement so we just decided to go with Hilary Duff herself.

I think that's a good move. Pretty sure Fuller House is one of Netflix's most watched shows. So why not let adult Lizzie come back into the spotlight??

That character voices panel was really phenomenal. I think the issue was that the app didn't have the guests listed until the last minute. I surely don't remember seeing the phenomenal guest list before. I just randomly clicked on the panel while waiting for The Art of Disney Storytelling to begin and was blown away. I don't think Donald does that many events, and he is my favorite. I've gone to several conventions now where Mickey and Goofy attend, but never him (sorry for not using the real names, I do know them, I feel like not everyone else does so it's easier than writing out character and voice actor name).

Didn't grow up watching Lizzie Mcguire but I have to say I thought it was super smart to just continue the story a la Fuller House or Girl Meets World, as this will more likely appeal to the original fans of the show while hopefully still bringing in younger fans by showing the old episodes on there. I never really though about it, but Disney+ could really bring some popularity back to some shows that have been gone for a while. I mean think about what Netflix has done for Friends, Gilmore Girls, and The Office that has a whole new generation of fans that are watching these shows that didn't watch them on initial release. I could see the same thing happening with a show like Lizzie McGuire or even like Kim Possible or something where kids have access to the show that they didn't get access to. My daughter got into Kim Possible when the show was just kind of going off the air, and we had to get a lot of toys and stuff used and join DMC to get some episodes - but kids with Disney+ could watch the show and refind it on their own.

The same might go with the Muppets - where a place like ABC wasn't really the right place, but if they put the old Muppet shows on Disney+, it may trigger a new level of popularity. (Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.)

It was nice to meet you and hang out. I'm not sure if I'm that much fun, at least my son and husband don't seem to think so :rolleyes: There were definitely some great highlights and some unfortunate low lights. However, that's life. If it weren't for the bad, how would we know what's good:confused3

Didn't grow up watching Lizzie Mcguire but I have to say I thought it was super smart to just continue the story a la Fuller House or Girl Meets World, as this will more likely appeal to the original fans of the show while hopefully still bringing in younger fans by showing the old episodes on there. I never really though about it, but Disney+ could really bring some popularity back to some shows that have been gone for a while. I mean think about what Netflix has done for Friends, Gilmore Girls, and The Office that has a whole new generation of fans that are watching these shows that didn't watch them on initial release. I could see the same thing happening with a show like Lizzie McGuire or even like Kim Possible or something where kids have access to the show that they didn't get access to. My daughter got into Kim Possible when the show was just kind of going off the air, and we had to get a lot of toys and stuff used and join DMC to get some episodes - but kids with Disney+ could watch the show and refind it on their own.

The same might go with the Muppets - where a place like ABC wasn't really the right place, but if they put the old Muppet shows on Disney+, it may trigger a new level of popularity. (Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.)

I never watched Lizzie McGuire either. Too late for my time. However, I could totally be on board for a good Muppets show. Loved watching the movies and the original TV series. I still think of some of the episodes when I hear certain songs, like Time in a Bottle and Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt.

like any Con; not enough time to see everything and too many lines for anything. Yet, D23 managed to balance it enough for all ages and abilities and interests. D23 was less stressful than ComicCon by miles.

Destinations sounds very interesting and we may like to do as Imagineering appears to be more involved there. Need to learn more about the next generation of folk producing Avengers Campus and Epcot evolution! Got a glimpse with Chris Merritt's talks of on Marc Davis -- but want to hear about his projects too!!!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that found the Immersive Worlds panel a little boring. I was almost ashamed to admit that I was a little bored when I was talking about it to my husband because I had been really looking forward to it. I was really looking forward to hearing Joe Rohde, he seems so dynamic on shows I've watched. At the panel it seemed to me that the panelists just kept saying the same thing over and over, with very canned responses. I wanted more stories. When I did admit to my husband that I was a little bored after awhile he admitted that he had zoned out for awhile too.
I really enjoyed that panel. Was lucky to have SP with great seats in like the 6th row in the center. Held my attention very well. Maybe it was just me.

:wizard:

like any Con; not enough time to see everything and too many lines for anything. Yet, D23 managed to balance it enough for all ages and abilities and interests. D23 was less stressful than ComicCon by miles.

Destinations sounds very interesting and we may like to do as Imagineering appears to be more involved there. Need to learn more about the next generation of folk producing Avengers Campus and Epcot evolution! Got a glimpse with Chris Merritt's talks of on Marc Davis -- but want to hear about his projects too!!!
I went to SDCC in July and you are completely correct. This con is smaller but way easier to handle. The only thing I hated was that security sucked bad.

Ill be back for D23 in two years. I love my weekend con fix of Disney.

Security always has had issues at Expo, but this year was a major improvement over years past!

This was my first Expo - but I thought security was no problem at all. I didn't try to bring in chairs - but we brought in water and snacks and cushions and was never given any static. Security usually took less than 2 minutes to go through. I did not hear of any issues around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter