New Credit Card Authorization Holds

What if you're on a completely cash basis, will they still require a credit card at check in?
To do room charges, they will require a credit card. I don't know if (assuming your room is paid for) if you can decline to give them a credit card at all.

And one more answered question on the agent site of "when will holds drop off"

Payment is processed for the balance due on the account after the Guest checks out. In general, charges will be settled and posted to the card within one to two days after check out day. Guests will be charged only for what they actually spent and any authorization holds in excess of the balance due will be released.

And one more answered question on the agent site of "when will holds drop off"

Payment is processed for the balance due on the account after the Guest checks out. In general, charges will be settled and posted to the card within one to two days after check out day. Guests will be charged only for what they actually spent and any authorization holds in excess of the balance due will be released.

Except Disney doesn't control when the holds drop off, the issuing card company does.

Count me as someone who won't be charging back to the room anymore. What a pain. I liked buying gift cards and then paying off my room balance. Now I will give them my card in order to do on line check in, but that is all I will use it for.

Count me as someone who won't be charging back to the room anymore. What a pain. I liked buying gift cards and then paying off my room balance. Now I will give them my card in order to do on line check in, but that is all I will use it for.
If its the way people are describing, gift card swipes may be even easier than they are now. There should be no fear of having a charge actually hit the card unless you do not pay off with gift cards on the last night. Your card on file would just be used for pre-authorization for the amount you've hit on the room (up to the nearest $100 denomination).

If you do online check-in, Disney will still place at least a $100 authorization (on top of whatever balance is left on the room)

If its the way people are describing, gift card swipes may be even easier than they are now. There should be no fear of having a charge actually hit the card unless you do not pay off with gift cards on the last night. Your card on file would just be used for pre-authorization for the amount you've hit on the room (up to the nearest $100 denomination).

If you do online check-in, Disney will still place at least a $100 authorization (on top of whatever balance is left on the room)

I pay my room off before my trip starts. So no worries there. I don't like the idea of them pre-authorizing X amount and then maybe having to return it. Not to mention I had them charge me for someone else's meal at Le Ceiller before, along with my own. To many ways for this to become a huge issue, imho. I'll pass.

I pay my room off before my trip starts. So no worries there. I don't like the idea of them pre-authorizing X amount and then maybe having to return it. Not to mention I had them charge me for someone else's meal at Le Ceiller before, along with my own. To many ways for this to become a huge issue, imho. I'll pass.
I pay my room only off prior as well (usually with gift cards).

If you really don’t want the pre-authorization, you will probably want to skip online check-in

I pay my room only off prior as well (usually with gift cards).

If you really don’t want the pre-authorization, you will probably want to skip online check-in
Just to note, you can't even do online check-in without providing a credit card to keep on file.
If you don't plan to give them a card then you won't have the option to do online check-in

I wouldn't say this could never happen, but I doubt it would be more than an issue than it currently is. The cc companies will be plenty aware of WDW's charge policies, and they'll have plenty of customers with this happening.

A vast majority of guests will never notice a difference. But those who use debit cards, gift cards, cast, or traveler's/bank checks could run into issues, depends on which process they use.

We have no idea how this will impact, especially since there are many many credit card companies who merely process via Visa, MC, Amex etc .... they all have their own rules, their own ways of doing algorithms and their own charging guidelines. I would never presume that their systems are programmed for each potential vendor but rather an overall policy.

Multiple charges by Disney World owned hotels? Highly doubt that will raise any red flags at all.

Besides that, tell your card you are traveling to FL and they won't even bat an eye at it.
My cards actually notify ME when they see a trip coming up (based on airfare or hotel reservations). I get a note a couple days out that they see I'm traveling soon and that they'll be sure there are no problems with credit card usage.

Every single card company is different. Some are much better than others. There is not standard Visa procedure, there are procedures for each company that processes through them. We have a card that won't accept certain internet charges - their rule not ours. We have a card that stops any hold or multiple attempts at similar charges. Their rules to prevent possible fraud. I have a CC I use for FL Resident Disney AP and Disney hotel reservations specifically because we have to use a CC with FL address for tickets. I don't use it otherwise so if they in turn start trying to put charges on it, good chance it will get flagged. There are lots of reasons that a constantly rolling and addition of holds on a card could cause issues for people. Every card, everyone's limits and usage are different. It's great for those who won't be impacted ... maybe a big aggravation for those who will.

It may be that this will only impact a few but my point is traveling to Disney is completely different than anywhere I can think of where you will continue to spend up to thousands of dollars, charging via the same company via a tab. I wish they would allow direct charging for folks via the MB, would help out AP folks too (and maybe encourage more spending) and this won't even be an issue. We know it is completely possible with their software since it happens with mobile ordering. No reason that portion of the app can't be connected to MB for purchases. Perhaps it violates some agreement with Apple Pay etc.

We have no idea how this will impact, especially since there are many many credit card companies who merely process via Visa, MC, Amex etc .... they all have their own rules, their own ways of doing algorithms and their own charging guidelines. I would never presume that their systems are programmed for each potential vendor but rather an overall policy.

Every single card company is different. Some are much better than others. There is not standard Visa procedure, there are procedures for each company that processes through them. We have a card that won't accept certain internet charges - their rule not ours. We have a card that stops any hold or multiple attempts at similar charges. Their rules to prevent possible fraud. I have a CC I use for FL Resident Disney AP and Disney hotel reservations specifically because we have to use a CC with FL address for tickets. I don't use it otherwise so if they in turn start trying to put charges on it, good chance it will get flagged. There are lots of reasons that a constantly rolling and addition of holds on a card could cause issues for people. Every card, everyone's limits and usage are different. It's great for those who won't be impacted ... maybe a big aggravation for those who will.

It may be that this will only impact a few but my point is traveling to Disney is completely different than anywhere I can think of where you will continue to spend up to thousands of dollars, charging via the same company via a tab. I wish they would allow direct charging for folks via the MB, would help out AP folks too (and maybe encourage more spending) and this won't even be an issue. We know it is completely possible with their software since it happens with mobile ordering. No reason that portion of the app can't be connected to MB for purchases. Perhaps it violates some agreement with Apple Pay etc.
In no way is hitting a card for every single charge better. You'll have far more guests who want to pay via a gift card at the end than you do who are bothered by the minuscule chance a card will flag small charges as fraud. I don't like to use mobile ordering because I don't want it to hit my card. So I guess the same can be said for those who don't want authorizations on their cards, don't use MB. They aren't required so if someone is worried about it, then drag your credit card along instead.
Thankfully there are more than enough credit cards so it's really easy to pick one that doesn't inconvenience their customers. Because they'd better give me lots of free stuff if they are going to make me jump through hoops to use my card. As it is, I'll use my card that is proactive and emails me and says "gee, I see you are traveling soon, no worries, we've noted your account and you can be assured there will be no issues with your card".
Maybe that's unique but surely every one of them has a mechanism for the consumer to notify them. They'd better. That's good customer service. Good customer service is important with all the competitors these days.

And believe me, I'm glad for fraud prevention (I've had several of mine catch attempts) but sounds like some of the ones you are talking about go too far. Not if they won't let you notify them you are on a trip and allow charges accordingly

In no way is hitting a card for every single charge better. You'll have far more guests who want to pay via a gift card at the end than you do who are bothered by the minuscule chance a card will flag small charges as fraud. I don't like to use mobile ordering because I don't want it to hit my card. So I guess the same can be said for those who don't want authorizations on their cards, don't use MB. They aren't required so if someone is worried about it, then drag your credit card along instead.
Thankfully there are more than enough credit cards so it's really easy to pick one that doesn't inconvenience their customers. Because they'd better give me lots of free stuff if they are going to make me jump through hoops to use my card. As it is, I'll use my card that is proactive and emails me and says "gee, I see you are traveling soon, no worries, we've noted your account and you can be assured there will be no issues with your card".
Maybe that's unique but surely every one of them has a mechanism for the consumer to notify them. They'd better. That's good customer service. Good customer service is important with all the competitors these days.

And believe me, I'm glad for fraud prevention (I've had several of mine catch attempts) but sounds like some of the ones you are talking about go too far. Not if they won't let you notify them you are on a trip and allow charges accordingly

I don't have a problem or issue with it. When I arrive I pay off my room. I no longer allow charging to my credit card on file with Disney (not the card I use to pay the room). I don't do much spending AT Disney. I pre-spend for up-charges some. I use a credit card for restaurants, and use cash or debit card for anything else. I prefer a once and done charge in my control than an open ended tab I have to sit and go through at the end. Yes, it is very convenient for some but it's no perk for me.

My examples were only trying to personalize that others may have issues with their cards. That the rolling $100 may be a card issue or make it difficult to get to front desk to pay off periodically if Disney does not have the system fine tuned to not charge your card until set date. Actually if they are holding funds they don't need to charge until check out. I've had them premature charge and it was a good hour out of my day to fix it. I'm just stepping out of my "non issue life" and seeing this could be inconvenient or disruptive to others vacation. I think it's okay to acknowledge this isn't a great thing for everyone.

Exactly what I was going to post.
Me too!
I loved the flexibility which is probably gone. I always have a package so it’s paid in full before arrival but for good or other things sometimes I’d let it be charged or I’d use Disney’s gift cards...sometimes I’d even use cash or even my debit card to pay off my charges. I knew to get to the front desk before I hit the 500 to 1500 threshold.

There’s no way I’m going to allow double authorization holds and charges over my typical 10 day stay. That’s a nightmare. We went to HardRock last trip and I had a minuscule 20 hold on check in which dropped of my cc a week after I got back

I will still use the cc with the 100 hold for online check in and then pay as we go along with the cc cash or gift card.

Now IF I could preload gift cards I would def do that! Dreaming away :)

Is Disney somehow checking credit score or credit card limits?
No. It’s based on the resort level. Deluxe resorts have a higher limit than value. Frankly, I think that may be fine if the problem. Basing charging limits on the resort is kind of risky imo.

Basing charging limits on past behaviors may be a safer route.

Just to note, you can't even do online check-in without providing a credit card to keep on file.
If you don't plan to give them a card then you won't have the option to do online check-in

I was going to see about getting a special card just for our Disney trip. I did it in 2015, but can't remember how the bank and I worked it out. I really don't want a $100 hold on my card as it's a debit card from my bank. So to avoid the pre-authorization, just stay away from online-check in? Is there an advantage to online check in that I don't get from a face to face? I'd much rather skip it and be able to use my card at my leisure without worry. I think I did use my magic band for charging last visit. I don't believe I even made it to $100 now that I think about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter