New Credit Card Authorization Holds

I get what you're saying (if it works this way). The cap would be removed because Disney knows I have enough to back it all on my card with the authorizations. Instead of say auto-charging me at $1,500 and worrying about swiping my gift card prior to that, I can wait until the night before checkout and pay off (from my scenario) $2,800 in gift cards. The next day when check-out happens, my account will be $0.00 and the authorizations to my CC will be released.

I guess we will have to see how it plays out. It looks like people will have to pay down their cards if they charge a lot to the room and don't have double the credit limit.
Yes, if the person is worried about having too much of their available balancetied up,they would be able to use any payment method (even another credit card) to pay off the balance,and stop the increase of the pre-authorization.

For example,
1. Guest spends $1136 total
2. Pre-authorizations will total $1200 when added up
3. Guest pays balance with a different credit card
4. As long as balance stays under $1200, original card will not have additional authorizations
5. Guest can pay off balance as often as they like to keep balance under $1200 (or whatever they want it to be)
6. Total charges will be on 2nd card only (assuming they pay off final charges at checkout)
7. First card with pre-authorization will have no charges, and hold of $1200 will drop off in a few days (and,no matter how many thousands of dollars are spend, no additional holds on cards)

I normally charge back to my room and pay every few days, I never leave with a balance outstanding to charge to my card. In December I asked the CM who registered my party how much could be charged to the room before my card was charged because I had 7 people who potentially could charge back and I wanted to keep track, and was told 1800 I would receive a notice that I was approaching the limit. Yikes! I never let get able a few hundred! LOL!

This trip with all the charging to the room I think it hit about 1200 before I sent them all down to pay it off. I think that because I travel with extended family and they tend to shop, etc, I am simply going to pay as we go with this new policy. I liked the room charge for gratuities and additional items at meals, and seldom charged back gifts, however since I pay the bill anyway, I might as well just pay at the table.

I have read accounts of people who could not pay thier bill at checkout so I understand why the policy is in place, however while I do not mind leaving a card on hold JIC, I do not intend to use it.

Simple solution. If this makes you uncomfortable, don't charge back to your room. There are dozens of other ways to pay for food, merchandise and services at Disney. Disney does a lot of shady things, but I'm actually with them on this one. They probably got tired of chasing down people who spent more than their card could handle.

Ok, I think I understand....they'll still only actually *charge* the credit card once the resort spending limit is hit (or at the end of the stay, which ever comes first)?? But they'll basically have a $100 hold (on top of the actual amount of room charges *not* already charged to the credit card) on the card at all times??

It's this wording that's hurting my head, lol:

In the event that room and/or MagicBand charges exceed the original $100 hold, supplemental holds will be added to the card on file automatically. Authorizations on the guest’s credit card will not exceed the current balance due plus the $100 incremental charges.

My brain reads this as every time a room charge exceeds $100, Disney is going to add an additional $100 hold on top of any previous hold(s). We'll hit $100 within an hour of getting to our resort: 7 refillable mugs: $140; lunch at resort $125. So our room charge balance would be $265 and we'd have a $300 (3 x $100) hold on top of that...so the authorization/hold on credit at our credit card would be $565??? I'd like to think it would only be $365 (actual room charges plus one $100 hold) but that wording is making me think there will be numerous $100 holds that could take days/weeks/months to disappear (actually, it says "$100 incremental charges" so it makes it sound like they'll constantly be making $100 charges to the card). My son just had an issue when staying at a resort in VT. They put holds on his card ( two $250 holds) that didn't fall off of his Chase Freedom Visa for 5 days after he checked out of the resort (he paid his entire reservation balance at check-in and didn't charge anything to the room during the week -- he's still not sure why they put *two* holds on his card. He knew they'd put one on the card.). These holds pushed him right to his credit limit with the card and he wasn't able to use the card for gas/food on the drive home. Fortunately he has other cards that he can use so it wasn't a big issue for him, but it could have been a disaster.

<sigh> I'm not sure why I'm even trying to figure this out. It really doesn't affect our family (though I can understand why some people are very concerned/worries about this). We don't have a trip planned this year and I'm sure all the details/misunderstandings will be ironed out well before we step on property again. Plus, our Disney Visa has a credit limit that far and away exceeds any amount we'd spend on incidentals on a Disney vacation so it's really a non-issue for us. I was just curious/baffled/trying to clearly understand. No big deal.

Your post made me think about what the reaction might be from CC companies constantly being given holds over and over. This could lead to the computer algorithms putting a fraud alert or lock on accounts as Florida is one of the top areas for fraudulent credit card use. Many who I know, myself included had their cards locked and notified of fraud that my numbers were being used in Florida tourism areas.

Simple solution. If this makes you uncomfortable, don't charge back to your room. There are dozens of other ways to pay for food, merchandise and services at Disney. Disney does a lot of shady things, but I'm actually with them on this one. They probably got tired of chasing down people who spent more than their card could handle.

On the surface it's very simple and we get it. I stopped charge backs a few years ago but ....

Disney is like no other animal I can think of where you might spend thousands more after arrival in one single place (WDW) with the ability to use a MB for all for ease. And many guests who enjoy this perk also like to pay off their bill with gift cards (often gotten discounted), cash etc. Now if Disney allows (last time I checked they did not) you to put your Gift Cards or Cash down to charge against that would be great but for now it looks like guests might be spending a lot more time at the front desk IF they want to charge to MB.

Disney sells their vacations with the MB capabilities as a huge perk. This may negate that for many, depending on how it is handled and how much work it will be for guests.

Yes, they will do multiple holds (authorizations) but it will never double what you actually owe because of the bolded part. As long as Disney has their charging systems programmed correctly...

And therein lies the $1,000,000 question???

Last edited:

I don't quite get how this is different from the current practice? When we were there last month, we paid the remaining balance and then they put a $2K hold on our card for charges. Normally we've not done a room only reservation previous to this last visit (package only) so that was paid before we arrived but they've always had a hold placed on our card up to a certain amount. I know that they don't charge until you reach that, but we've always had to provide the card and do the authorization (had to punch in our CC PIN number into the machine so I'm pretty sure that it is a hold on the card). I'm used to doing this at all hotels so their practice has never seemed different to me. Is this because we're Canadian?

I don't quite get how this is different from the current practice? When we were there last month, we paid the remaining balance and then they put a $2K hold on our card for charges. Normally we've not done a room only reservation previous to this last visit (package only) so that was paid before we arrived but they've always had a hold placed on our card up to a certain amount. I know that they don't charge until you reach that, but we've always had to provide the card and do the authorization (had to punch in our CC PIN number into the machine so I'm pretty sure that it is a hold on the card). I'm used to doing this at all hotels so their practice has never seemed different to me. Is this because we're Canadian?

They never put holds on any cards we've used on any trips we've taken.

To the not a big deal statements, sure, it's not in the grand scheme. I'm just saying I would be surprised if I didn't realize they were doing this and I spent $2000, but had another $2000 hold on my account, reducing my available credit to $4000 until all the incremental holds fell off! That's all. Now that I know it's a possibility, I will be prepared for it and decide if I want to charge to room or not and on which card I want to use for it.

I don't trust Disney to get this figured out to work correctly with any accuracy. I'm also not taking the very real chance of my credit card being flagged for fraud and locked while on vacation. I've never had a hotel put any kind of hold on my credit card and I don't intend to start with a company who's IT and accounting is sketchy on a good day.

I'll pay at the point of service instead of charging back to my room.

I don't quite get how this is different from the current practice? When we were there last month, we paid the remaining balance and then they put a $2K hold on our card for charges. Normally we've not done a room only reservation previous to this last visit (package only) so that was paid before we arrived but they've always had a hold placed on our card up to a certain amount. I know that they don't charge until you reach that, but we've always had to provide the card and do the authorization (had to punch in our CC PIN number into the machine so I'm pretty sure that it is a hold on the card). I'm used to doing this at all hotels so their practice has never seemed different to me.

Is this because we're Canadian?

Different because before they didn't put actual holds, just had a limit of room charges that if you hit it they would immediately put on your card and not wait until check out. Then start the limit all over again.

Close to 140 stays onsite and never had a hold put on my CC for charging. I have had $1 ones for ADRs but that is it. I've never even seen anyone say they had one put on. I check my cards on my person daily when I travel so I can see if any holds or fraudulent charges. Did you actually see the holds or did you just assume?

Or maybe it's because you are Canadian. :D

I have never had a hold on my card. Not once. I was told that I had a $2000 charging limit, and that at $1800 I would be given notice that I was approaching it. This is not the same as a CC hold.

I have never had a hold on my card. Not once. I was told that I had a $2000 charging limit, and that at $1800 I would be given notice that I was approaching it. This is not the same as a CC hold.

Is Disney somehow checking credit score or credit card limits?

I mean they do know everything...I'll see how this plays out. It also makes me wonder how the "cashless" experiment/experience at AKL is going (or went). We're hoping to stay there on our next visit. Instead of gift cards, I'd rather just leave a pile of cash at the front desk for incidentals.

I'm actually surprised that this didn't go into effect a lot sooner. It won't bother me, I won't think twice about it. It may impact someone who relies on a prepaid debit card where the holds don't drop off as quickly a a normal credit card.

No, they are not doing that currently. But, this new system will allow them to make sure that a guest has the amount of available credit on their account to cover the charges they are incurring.

They didn't put holds on your card. They essentially gave you a $2000 credit limit, assuming you could pay it all off at the end of the trip.
I believe yes, your card is different in Canada and this is why you had to enter a Pin, for them to even complete the charge later. US based cards do not have to use the Pin

No, it was done by Resort level.
Deluxe got 1 amount, Mod another and Value another.
It used to be $1500, $1000 and $500 but they upped those a couple years ago and I believe it was $2000 for Deluxe and Mod and $1000 for Value but I'm not certain. I know $2000 for Deluxe

Under the old system (I guess still current) they took your cc number and checked to make sure it was a valid number, but did not actually but a hold on it (with the exception of balance due for the room itself, which they charged right away for RO). With this process, while they could tell that there was some amount of available credit, they had no way of knowing how much (or how little).

Your post made me think about what the reaction might be from CC companies constantly being given holds over and over. This could lead to the computer algorithms putting a fraud alert or lock on accounts as Florida is one of the top areas for fraudulent credit card use. Many who I know, myself included had their cards locked and notified of fraud that my numbers were being used in Florida tourism areas.
I wouldn't say this could never happen, but I doubt it would be more than an issue than it currently is. The cc companies will be plenty aware of WDW's charge policies, and they'll have plenty of customers with this happening.

On the surface it's very simple and we get it. I stopped charge backs a few years ago but ....

Disney is like no other animal I can think of where you might spend thousands more after arrival in one single place (WDW) with the ability to use a MB for all for ease. And many guests who enjoy this perk also like to pay off their bill with gift cards (often gotten discounted), cash etc. Now if Disney allows (last time I checked they did not) you to put your Gift Cards or Cash down to charge against that would be great but for now it looks like guests might be spending a lot more time at the front desk IF they want to charge to MB.

Disney sells their vacations with the MB capabilities as a huge perk. This may negate that for many, depending on how it is handled and how much work it will be for guests.
A vast majority of guests will never notice a difference. But those who use debit cards, gift cards, cast, or traveler's/bank checks could run into issues, depends on which process they use.

Multiple charges by Disney World owned hotels? Highly doubt that will raise any red flags at all.
Besides that, tell your card you are traveling to FL and they won't even bat an eye at it.
My cards actually notify ME when they see a trip coming up (based on airfare or hotel reservations). I get a note a couple days out that they see I'm traveling soon and that they'll be sure there are no problems with credit card usage.

What if you're on a completely cash basis, will they still require a credit card at check in?

That's definitely a concern I have (though I'm not losing sleep over it). We've had our card locked for suspicion of fraud while on the way to Disney (we had made some unusual charges the day before we left for Disney *and* I forgot to tell Chase we were travelling). While I'm now very good at making sure I notify our credit card companies when we travel, it's only because I had a problem with it. I know a lot of people don't even know you can/should do it and kind of roll their eyes at me when I mention that they should do it. I'm sure Chase (in particular because of the Disney Visa) is going to love all the phone calls they get from customers if their system starts locking down cards due to numerous "holds" from Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter