Any time you accept a position and have a start date and then don't start it makes a negative impression. I would assume for some companies that would put you on a do not hire list. It doesn't sound like you are able to start, so I would let your employer know as quickly and professionally as you can to try and leave the door open for possible rehire. Good luck.

I
Any time you accept a position and have a start date and then don't start it makes a negative impression. I would assume for some companies that would put you on a do not hire list. It doesn't sound like you are able to start, so I would let your employer know as quickly and professionally as you can to try and leave the door open for possible rehire. Good luck.
I mean, I haven’t accepted any spot. I’ve merely applied.

Was it just to interview? If so you can reapply in the future. You just have to wait 6 months until you can apply again.

The correct thing to do is reach out and explain that you are grateful for the opportunity, but have experienced a family emergency and cannot accept the offer at this time. Ask them to keep your application on file so that when you can relocate, you can try again for an open position.

If this is simply an hourly role, I wouldn't worry too much about it. These jobs are almost perpetually in "hiring" status. But you do need to communicate the situation or you will end up in a "do not hire" future status.

*I assume this wasn't a corporate level role because there would be a LOT more involved in terms of salary negotiations and relocation and all that.

I

I mean, I haven’t accepted any spot. I’ve merely applied.
You said you accepted in your first post? I don't understand your question? If you applied, and they reach out, you would politely let them know your circumstances have changed. They may not even reach out if all you've done is apply.

Both @AgentMama and @DLgal hit the nail on the head! Communication matters and yes many employers keep track of people that "bail" out or worse get, "ghost" the recruiter. Ideally try to make a phone call and talk directly with the person or persons that interviewed you, then follow up with an email or letter thanking them for their time and understanding. That type of professional communication, in any position, can go a long way when trying to stay on good terms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter