Neighbor uses our driveway

FWIW, I didn't read all of the replies. The only thing in the OP that would bother me is the question, "what if she falls?". If she's actually on your property, which is sounds like she is, that's a very valid concern. Too many people are sue happy these days. Unless you know for sure she's not the type that would sue, I'd do something to put a stop to it. The other things wouldn't really bother me.
For all the "mountain - molehill" comments, I agree that this is a legitimate concern. Perhaps not very likely to turn into a lawsuit, but why be subject to any liability on a regular basis like this? And this is just one of those things that I can't imagine doing in a million years... routinely driving onto someone else's property like this. It would bug me, too, OP. I agree with those who have suggested asking politely but firmly for her to stop doing this.

It also sets up the possibility of a prescriptive easement. I've heard of commercial parking lots that were used as shortcuts by the public, and a continued public right to use that space was assumed by law because the owner didn't attempt to stop the practice until it was too late.

http://www.dirtlawyer.com/pe-summary.html

Private property owners in rural or semirural areas have found out that they couldn't stop people from using trails running through their property since the statutory period (usually five years) of use was reached.

Maybe this is why the OP's problem wouldn't bother me. Our old neighborhood was wooded, with houses on 1 acre + lots. There was a hiking trail, meant for neighborhood use, running through the back of our property. In fact, we had the best access from the road to the trail. Typically, if a neighbor wanted to access through our yard, they would ask, but anyone could access the trail from their own yard (if they lived on that side of the street), and wander along. The only time we ever had an issue was one neighbor, who would take his two dogs on a daily jaunt on the trail. The dogs would be off-leash, and one would be on our back deck, or pooping in our front yard--out of sight of his owner, and definitely not welcome. DH just said something to the dog owner, and the issues stopped.

The liability issue seems like a stretch to me. She's not invited -- as a general rule, property owners are not liable for injuries of people who are trespassing. The mailbox is neither a trap, nor an attractive nuisance.

Maybe this is why the OP's problem wouldn't bother me. Our old neighborhood was wooded, with houses on 1 acre + lots. There was a hiking trail, meant for neighborhood use, running through the back of our property. In fact, we had the best access from the road to the trail. Typically, if a neighbor wanted to access through our yard, they would ask, but anyone could access the trail from their own yard (if they lived on that side of the street), and wander along. The only time we ever had an issue was one neighbor, who would take his two dogs on a daily jaunt on the trail. The dogs would be off-leash, and one would be on our back deck, or pooping in our front yard--out of sight of his owner, and definitely not welcome. DH just said something to the dog owner, and the issues stopped.
I think the key here is that they asked you, this person doesn't have permission to use OP's driveway.

I don't mind people turning around in my driveway, but if a neighbour regularly parked in my driveway to get mail, it would bug me too. I'd say something.
In this specific situation as the OP's this is my stance on it as well.

I mean really how many times have we all used someone else's driveway to turn around in? I really try not to do it out of courtesy but sometimes there is little other option. If this was a one-time thing of a neighbor driving their car onto my driveway to get the mail I wouldn't let it get to me but a habitual thing is something I wouldn't want going on.

I would approach the neighbor quite nicely and ask that they get their mail without driving up on my driveway. No explanations should really be needed.

We had to talk with our neighbors about their kids using our driveway without our permission as a sledding place and a place to ride their bikes down--they would get all the way up to our garage doors:

upload_2017-2-23_16-10-0.png

First few times they did it we didn't let it bug us but they kept doing it so we talked with our neighbors on either side of us and they in turn talked with their kids and it hasn't happened since and we sill have a great neighborly (sp?) relationship going on.

Since we talking about neighbors being rude:
Our mailboxes are grouped for our street right in front of my house. One neighbor 3 houses away drives into my driveway, parks in my driveway, gets out to get her mail, then drives home. She does this on her way home from work every day. She is young and I see her walking around on other days. I find it annoying because my new puppy has bionic ears and barks when he hears the car, her music, and the doors slamming. I have not said anything to her, but have popped the garage door open so she knows we are there and perhaps want to use our own driveway. Maybe I will walk the dog out next time and mention that he hears her everyday. What if a plow wanted to get in while she is in our driveway? What if she falls? What if I am just arriving home, trying to turn left into my driveway on a very short street, hoping not to get hit from behind while I wait for her to get out of my driveway. This actually is a concern; we are on a corner and someone stopped to turn left and the person behind him was going too fast had to run up the curb to avoid hitting him.
In my area you park in your own driveway or garage or rarely in front of your own house. It is considered rude to park in front of someone else's home. I consider her using my driveway as a whole other level of rude.
I have noticed that a lady in the neighbor hood parks in a driveway not hers to collect her mail. To me it seems like more of a hassle to do that then to park at her house and walk the very very short distance. To me it's extremely lazy and I have thought if it were my driveway I wouldn't like it. Your concerns of an unlikely accident are real concerns. I would simply talk to her. If she doesn't comply. I would talk to her again. If she continues. I would consider doing the same to her, when she is home, park in hers, get your mail then go home. Silly I know.

In this specific situation as the OP's this is my stance on it as well.

I mean really how many times have we all used someone else's driveway to turn around in? I really try not to do it out of courtesy but sometimes there is little other option. If this was a one-time thing of a neighbor driving their car onto my driveway to get the mail I wouldn't let it get to me but a habitual thing is something I wouldn't want going on.

I would approach the neighbor quite nicely and ask that they get their mail without driving up on my driveway. No explanations should really be needed.

We had to talk with our neighbors about their kids using our driveway without our permission as a sledding place and a place to ride their bikes down--they would get all the way up to our garage doors:

View attachment 221886

First few times they did it we didn't let it bug us but they kept doing it so we talked with our neighbors on either side of us and they in turn talked with their kids and it hasn't happened since and we sill have a great neighborly (sp?) relationship going on.

Why would the kids think they can play in your driveway?

We have had neighbor wars, one was ticked because her neighbor routinely drove backwards about a half block to her own house instead of u turning, after getting her mail. It was bizarre. It didn't last long, I think police were called etc.

Last edited:
I think the key here is that they asked you, this person doesn't have permission to use OP's driveway.
Only the people who didn't have their own backyard access asked. Those who also lived on the trail never said a word--they just traversed our yard during their enjoyment of the trail. I should add, so did our family. It didn't bother me a bit, except for the dog coming up to my sliding glass door and pooping in my front yard.

This is a weird situation. Are you sure she is not upset with you about something because it sounds like she is actually going out of her way to purposely park deep in your" driveway and walk to the mailbox rather than park on the street in front of the boxes. The next time she parks there and the dog starts barking open your front door, let the dog run out (if it is safe, you know your dog best) approach her at the mailboxes and ask her the reason why she feels free to use your property. Firmly tell her she is the only neighbour on the street doing this and to please stop. If she puts up an argument trying to make you seem like the bad guy, you know the if you can't defend then go on the offense trick, tell her she will find your car in her driveway when she comes home from work everyday and she can wait on the street while you remove it. Do not yell but do not mince words and be direct and to the point.
Then do it since you know the time she gets home.
I totally get the being friendly you have to live with your neighbours thing, but it is a two way street and little Miss entitled is not doing her part.
I really do not agree with the "mountain out of a molehill' comments by some. There is no way I would ever tolerate a stranger continually using my property to convenience themselves.
You have been far too patient.
Good luck!

Only the people who didn't have their own backyard access asked. Those who also lived on the trail never said a word--they just traversed our yard during their enjoyment of the trail. I should add, so did our family. It didn't bother me a bit, except for the dog coming up to my sliding glass door and pooping in my front yard.

It's way different in the UK. England and Wales have the Countryside Code, and Scotland has the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. Visitors inherently have access to rural areas provided no permanent damage is done and one closes gates meant to restrict animals.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-countryside-code
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com

We have had neighbor wars, one was ticked because her neighbor routinely drove backwards about a half block to her own house instead of u turning, after getting her mail. It was bizarre. It didn't last long, I think police were called etc.

I used to play at my aunt's place. The house across the street had a circular driveway with two ends. Kids in the neighborhood would ride bikes there quite often, and to my knowledge there was never a complaint. My cousin and I would also go to this bushy area where we would climb through the woody bushes. I'm not sure what happened, but more recently later owners fenced off one entrance to the driveway and the bushes I mentioned were removed. The fence looks pretty bad though.

We have had neighbor wars, one was ticked because her neighbor routinely drove backwards about a half block to her own house instead of u turning, after getting her mail. It was bizarre.
Beats me really. The parents weren't out there any of the times;if they had been they wouldn't have let them use our driveway like that without speaking with us first.

We've had multiple issues with the kids on our property including our backyard the worst being when we first moved in. It mainly stemed from the fact that before our house was built our lot was literally their playground. They even had a tiny kid-sized firepit they used. When we came to inspect the foundation they would be playing and climbing the trees in what would become our backyard..as the lot wasn't technically ours at the time it was the builder's we didn't say anything.

The parents tried very hard to get them to stop going in our backyard (we don't have a fence yet) and after knowing that their kids were using our driveway like they were they talked with them about not going onto our property, front or back, and I would assume more sternly than they had been before. They still ride their bikes through our grass instead of the sidewalk that is 2 feet from where they are riding from which is annoying when it leaves tire marks in the grass but really the main issue of them treating our property like it was still their playground was resolved so we've let the bike thing go.

Yea, that would bother me too.

OP can't you just park your own car in the middle and towards the end of your driveway so that there is no room for anyone else to pull in?

This is a weird situation. Are you sure she is not upset with you about something because it sounds like she is actually going out of her way to purposely park deep in your" driveway and walk to the mailbox rather than park on the street in front of the boxes. The next time she parks there and the dog starts barking open your front door, let the dog run out (if it is safe, you know your dog best) approach her at the mailboxes and ask her the reason why she feels free to use your property. Firmly tell her she is the only neighbour on the street doing this and to please stop. If she puts up an argument trying to make you seem like the bad guy, you know the if you can't defend then go on the offense trick, tell her she will find your car in her driveway when she comes home from work everyday and she can wait on the street while you remove it. Do not yell but do not mince words and be direct and to the point.
Then do it since you know the time she gets home.
I totally get the being friendly you have to live with your neighbours thing, but it is a two way street and little Miss entitled is not doing her part.
I really do not agree with the "mountain out of a molehill' comments by some. There is no way I would ever tolerate a stranger continually using my property to convenience themselves.
You have been far too patient.
Good luck!

I see a different way to handle it.

First, I'd just talk to her. Tell her you're not happy with this behavior and to please stop. If it fails, then let the mind wander...

If the OP's son comes home and this girl is in their driveway, I'd tell the son to park her in. Let her be unable to exit. At this time, call a tow company and have them remove her car at her expense. If she wants to argue, well... she's an unwanted liability trespassing on private property. If she wants to call the cops in response to why the son won't move his car, let her. It'll be fun explaining to her with cops present that she's actually trespassing.

But in all reality, make contact. You don't need every neighbor to like you. Yes, it's important to have good relationships with the people you live around, but at the same time, you can't be 100% buddy-buddy with everyone you ever meet. If she doesn't like it, tough. She can find another way and you'll make sure that she does.

I can't park her in, I have a bum knee right now we park in the garage for safety. I can't really even meet her because I am barely walking.

My son could though, block her in for a few minutes see how she likes it. Him "I just need to run in for a second". Wait ten minutes to move car. Him "so sorry I forgot you were out here in MY driveway". LOL

He has been inconvenienced the most by this. She had to have seen him trying to get in but keeps doing it.

Or (because I am in a smart butt mood)

If talking doesn't work: put a sign that says Parking 10.00.

But really, I would block her in if she did it again after you talk to her.

I can't park her in, I have a bum knee right now we park in the garage for safety. I can't really even meet her because I am barely walking.

My son could though, block her in for a few minutes see how she likes it. Him "I just need to run in for a second". Wait ten minutes to move car. Him "so sorry I forgot you were out here in MY driveway". LOL

He has been inconvenienced the most by this. She had to have seen him trying to get in but keeps doing it.

OP, I did say to have your son park her in. You then call the tow company. He would then move for the rollback to take her on her way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter