Neighbor uses our driveway

Lillychilly

Earning My Ears
Since we talking about neighbors being rude:
Our mailboxes are grouped for our street right in front of my house. One neighbor 3 houses away drives into my driveway, parks in my driveway, gets out to get her mail, then drives home. She does this on her way home from work every day. She is young and I see her walking around on other days. I find it annoying because my new puppy has bionic ears and barks when he hears the car, her music, and the doors slamming. I have not said anything to her, but have popped the garage door open so she knows we are there and perhaps want to use our own driveway. Maybe I will walk the dog out next time and mention that he hears her everyday. What if a plow wanted to get in while she is in our driveway? What if she falls? What if I am just arriving home, trying to turn left into my driveway on a very short street, hoping not to get hit from behind while I wait for her to get out of my driveway. This actually is a concern; we are on a corner and someone stopped to turn left and the person behind him was going too fast had to run up the curb to avoid hitting him.
In my area you park in your own driveway or garage or rarely in front of your own house. It is considered rude to park in front of someone else's home. I consider her using my driveway as a whole other level of rude.

I find that more than rude. The first thing I would try is saying something to her , maybe that would solve the issue. Maybe she doesn't even stop to think that what she's doing could be annoying the heck out of you? If that fails, try a no trespassing or no parking sign at the end of your driveway? Good luck with this one!!

Since we talking about neighbors being rude:
Our mailboxes are grouped for our street right in front of my house. One neighbor 3 houses away drives into my driveway, parks in my driveway, gets out to get her mail, then drives home. She does this on her way home from work every day. She is young and I see her walking around on other days. I find it annoying because my new puppy has bionic ears and barks when he hears the car, her music, and the doors slamming. I have not said anything to her, but have popped the garage door open so she knows we are there and perhaps want to use our own driveway. Maybe I will walk the dog out next time and mention that he hears her everyday. What if a plow wanted to get in while she is in our driveway? What if she falls? What if I am just arriving home, trying to turn left into my driveway on a very short street, hoping not to get hit from behind while I wait for her to get out of my driveway. This actually is a concern; we are on a corner and someone stopped to turn left and the person behind him was going too fast had to run up the curb to avoid hitting him.
In my area you park in your own driveway or garage or rarely in front of your own house. It is considered rude to park in front of someone else's home. I consider her using my driveway as a whole other level of rude.

Can you put up cones or a barrier with a note?

I'd just ask her not to pull into your driveway - polite and direct is best. But she then will likely just take to stopping on the street while she quickly grabs the mail so your dogs will hear that anyway and there's nothing you could reasonably do to stop it. (FTR I wouldn't consider stopping in front of the mailbox for a minute or two to be "parking".)

That would also bug me, but granted, she's probably there for maybe 30 seconds while she jumps out of her car to grab the mail? Or is the mailbox even a far walk from your driveway? I agree that maybe trying to catch her while she's doing it and just saying something like "hey would you mind just pulling up in the street for your mail from now on? Our dog goes nuts when someone pulls into our driveway" - polite and direct, like PP said, and she will probably get the picture.

I'd just ask her not to pull into your driveway - polite and direct is best. But she then will likely just take to stopping on the street while she quickly grabs the mail so your dogs will hear that anyway and there's nothing you could reasonably do to stop it. (FTR I wouldn't consider stopping in front of the mailbox for a minute or two to be "parking".)

I also don't consider it parking. It honestly wouldn't bother me but it would bother my SO. I agree with asking and being polite and direct.

I would meet her out there one day and tell her to stop it. It's your driveway, not a public street for her to use.

Two things: you need to see if there is a city law prohibiting this. Then, you should contact your home owners insurance agent and see what you would be responsible for if she were to fall on your property, etc. Then, see if there are any signs you can place about a private drive, not responsible, etc.

Can you put up cones or a barrier with a note?

You could do that, but I'd say that's sort of passive aggressive. To me, this isn't all that big of a deal (at least not at this point). Like someone else said, maybe she just doesn't really think of it as an issue. Next time, I'd come out and greet her. Explain that I'd prefer she not park in my driveway to get her mail. Then take it from there. I'd hope that she'd comply, whether she agrees with it or not.

It is parking... It just is.
It is also traspassing. It just is.
She really does not have any right. (You could be face rudeness with rudeness and invest in a good "NO TRESPAASSING' sign, I might invest in some kind of realty-sign type of stand.)
It sounds like this is also on a corner, which could be illegal. Inform yourself about the parking regulations regarding intersections, stop signs, etc...

I would also contact the Post Office, forwarding your written letter to other appropriate offices/officers in the city or county, about the mailboxes being placed on a corner. They probably shouldn't be. I would suggest to them that the mailboxes could be moved further from the corner.

I would also have no problem buying some of the orange plastic traffic cones and blocking your driveway right at the street, if it is possible and not too awfully inconvenient, during the time after the mail has run, when she usually does this. It sounds like this happens at a pretty consistent time, when she is getting home from work.

For all anyone knows, there are others who are parking and trespassing in this situation, and this does not have to be directed personally at any one person. If the OP is to speak with this woman, then it does become a one-on-one issue.

It is absolutely not passive-aggressive to take reasonable and legal actions on your own property. (look up the word, people) Unless it is against agreed upon HOA rules, a homeowner could even install a full gate at the drive in front of their property.

PS: I don't know how far away from the mail boxes, and your driveway, that others usually stop to pick up their mail... But, I have to wonder, isn't your dog also barking at the other people who check their mailboxes every day? A barking dog is always the owners issue/problem.

Last edited:
I would put some garbage cans on the driveway to discourage this habit. Otherwise Sprinklers with a motion detector if she decides to move the trash cans.

I don't feel driveways are public parking and she may encourage others to do this.

I agree with a PP that cones, signage, sprinklers - all passive aggressive. And frankly, if I were the "culprit", I wouldn't even notice those things were put into place to deter me from doing this if I didn't know it was an issue to begin with. If a neighbor politely asked me to park elsewhere while getting my mail, I'd apologize and comply. If the neighbor started putting up flashing lights and citing laws and insurance policies, I'd be weirded out and think they were nuts.

It is parking... It just is.
It is also traspassing. It just is.
She really does not have any right. (You could be face rudeness with rudeness and invest in a good "NO TRESPAASSING' sign, I might invest in some kind of realty-sign type of stand.)
It sounds like this is also on a corner, which could be illegal. Inform yourself about the parking regulations regarding intersections, stop signs, etc...

I would also contact the Post Office, forwarding your written letter to other appropriate offices/officers in the city or county, about the mailboxes being placed on a corner. They probably shouldn't be. I would suggest to them that the mailboxes could be moved further from the corner.

I would also have no problem buying some of the orange plastic traffic cones and blocking your driveway right at the street, if it is possible and not too awfully inconvenient, during the time after the mail has run, when she usually does this. It sounds like this happens at a pretty consistent time, when she is getting home from work.

For all anyone knows, there are others who are parking and trespassing in this situation, and this does not have to be directed personally at any one person. If the OP is to speak with this woman, then it does become a one-on-one issue.

It is absolutely not passive-aggressive to take reasonable and legal actions on your own property. (look up the word, people) Unless it is against agreed upon HOA rules, a homeowner could even install a full gate at the drive in front of their property.

PS: I don't know how far away from the mail boxes, and your driveway, that others usually stop to pick up their mail... But, I have to wonder, isn't your dog also barking at the other people who check their mailboxes every day? A barking dog is always the owners issue/problem.

Yea I just don't have enough time in my life to care this much about someone in my driveway for 30 seconds a day. I can't even fathom going to all of that trouble. Way too much energy on something so petty.

I agree with a PP that cones, signage, sprinklers - all passive aggressive. And frankly, if I were the "culprit", I wouldn't even notice those things were put into place to deter me from doing this if I didn't know it was an issue to begin with. If a neighbor politely asked me to park elsewhere while getting my mail, I'd apologize and comply. If the neighbor started putting up flashing lights and citing laws and insurance policies, I'd be weirded out and think they were nuts.
You honestly don't know it is rude to pull into someone's driveway and park, unless you are visiting them?

You honestly don't know it is rude to pull into someone's driveway and park, unless you are visiting them?

Evidently you misread my post. I didn't say that at all. I wouldn't pull into someone else's driveway to grab my mail. I have a mailbox on the street too and it's just as easy to pull up in the street. My post was just what my thoughts were from the perspective of the woman doing it, because clearly she doesn't realize it's a problem. She's likely doing this innocently, so to try and get the message to her by posting "no trespassing" signs or something of like probably won't work. And from her perspective, she will likely become defensive or weirded out if the OP approaches her with a tone that's anything but polite. Especially if this has been going on for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter