Neighbor uses our driveway

OP here
Picuture it:
You turn into your street, ready to turn left into your driveway. But you cannot get into your driveway, a car is there. Occupant gets out, walks to mailbox, gets her mail, walks back to car. Perhaps checks mail, backs out of your driveway. You are now free to turn left into your driveway, the cars waiting behind you may proceed on their way. End of the world? No. Annoying? Yes. Happens repeatedly? Aggravating.

At home.... different day.. hear loud music, car in driveway, our dog barks his low warning bark.... I am not expecting anyone. She proceeds as above. I finally catch a glimpse of her car and figure out it is a neighbor. Rinse and repeat multiple times per week.

I said "if she feels it is unsafe” for her to park on the street she should not expect us to park on the street or wait on the street while she is in my way.

I park in the garage because I cannot twist my bum knee, it is unsafe for me to walk anywhere that I might slip. That was what I meant for safety reasons.

It is 25 mph and fairly busy at that time of day.

Everyone else walks or pulls up to the mailbox to get their mail. It is not that difficult.

You need to actually talk to the neighbor. You might also look into the terms of any easements.

I was going to suggest something to block the driveway, like a pp mentioned, maybe cones, or something. But if you can't get out of your car, then I guess you can't to that since you would be forced to get out of your car to move it in order to drive in your driveway. I think you just have to talk to her and let her know she can't keep doing it. I think you will still have problems hearing the music, hearing the car pull up etc. if she pulls up beside the mailboxes.

What's up with all the passive aggressiveness ? Put up cones, put up a sign, block her in, etc. Whatever happened to being an adult and talking?

We grew up playing in our neighbors driveways or yards. No one ever cared as long as we didn't destroy property or acted up but we grew up in a more family oriented block. Everyone knew everyone. It was like family.

What's up with all the passive aggressiveness ? Put up cones, put up a sign, block her in, etc. Whatever happened to being an adult and talking?

We grew up playing in our neighbors driveways or yards. No one ever cared as long as we didn't destroy property or acted up but we grew up in a more family oriented block. Everyone knew everyone. It was like family.

True on both counts. However with the latter on why things are not like how some grew up:
Parents stopped parenting their kids and let them run amuck. And back in the day of a kid messed up, a neighbor could yell at that kid, now, a kid can be acting like a wild animal with mom right there and have someone say calm down kid and then they get jumped on.

Also, people are sue happy now. Little Johnny fell back in the day: it's a scratch, get up and keep playing. Now same scenario: Johnnys mom is calling a lawyer or trying to extort money. Then there have always been some of the Get Off My Lawn folks.

Our dog doesn't seem to be bothered by the street noises or mail truck. She can be as loud as she wants, her right. Just please not in my driveway.

She parks so far up, not in the slanty part between the street and sidewalk, but past the sidewalk. My dog thinks she is visiting.

Well I was raised not to go onto other people's property without their permission. It's just how I was raised. So no I personally wasn't out playing in people's driveways or yards unless so and so's mom/dad said it was fine. I get it if it's no biggie to other people to be on someone else's driveway/yard but just because I get it doesn't mean I have to also view it as no biggie.

OP, why can't you just have your son work on a building project of some type at the end of the driveway - let's say a birdhouse. Wood, hammer, nails, the whole 9 yards. Make sure the neighbor catches him banging really loud with the hammer making the birdhouse and takes notice. Then one day, oops, little Johnny spilled and left a whole box of nails in the driveway right where lazy Lucy parks everyday.

Oh no, Lazy Lucy! You don't say! All 4 of your tires punctured by nails? What ever will we do with little Johnny! I didn't even think to warn him about picking up all the nails before your afternoon mail pick-up in our driveway... ;)

I am hyped up on Pepsi and chocolate so forgive my bad thoughts.

Or the OP"s son as he sees Lazy Lucy in the driveway, he can just sit there as he is waiting for her to get back to her car and play some song by the rapper Ludacris that says Move in it,lol. REALLY LOUD.
For those of you unfamiliar with Luda and that song, YouTube it.
It is a fun song when you are in traffic.

What if a plow wanted to get in while she is in our driveway? What if she falls? What if I am just arriving home, trying to turn left into my driveway on a very short street, hoping not to get hit from behind while I wait for her to get out of my driveway.

How long has she been doing this? Have any of these things happened?
No need to get upset over something that might happen.

I am hyped up on Pepsi and chocolate so forgive my bad thoughts.

Or the OP"s son as he sees Lazy Lucy in the driveway, he can just sit there as he is waiting for her to get back to her car and play some song by the rapper Ludacris that says Move in it,lol. REALLY LOUD.
For those of you unfamiliar with Luda and that song, YouTube it.
It is a fun song when you are in traffic.

That's kind of featured in Lady Gaga's appearance on James Corden's Carpool Karaoke. You mean "get out the way", right?

The official version on YouTube is censored.

I haven't read the other replies, but I think a simple "Hey. Please don't park in my driveway. It drives my dog up a wall and I am left with the aftermath. Lol! How are you doing? Hope all is well. How 'bout this weather. Etc."

I would not be happy with a neighbor over stepping boundaries like this. Trust me. I know how it is.

Here is my neighbor story that I have shared on The Dis:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/neighbor-filled-my-trash-can-furious-long-vent.3492803/

The road is unsafe to make left turns and to sit waiting for her to move

If the she thinks road is unsafe to park on it is unsafe for my son to park on

She has a solution, park in her own private driveway, we all will park in ours

I was joking about the plow guy plowing while she was there and blocking her in. But seriously plow guy was not happy about having to wait on her.

Son has never parked her in because I have told him not to. I physically cannot.

Confrontations while a little fun to think about can get dangerous.
So neighbor and son would both have to turn left to get into your driveway. Presumably if she parked on the street, she'd have to cross the street to get to the mailboxes (if it's unsafe to make a left hand turn, I would think it would be unsafe to cross on foot). Is there room to park on the street or would that put the parked car in the way of traffic?

OP here
Picuture it:
You turn into your street, ready to turn left into your driveway. But you cannot get into your driveway, a car is there. Occupant gets out, walks to mailbox, gets her mail, walks back to car. Perhaps checks mail, backs out of your driveway. You are now free to turn left into your driveway, the cars waiting behind you may proceed on their way. End of the world? No. Annoying? Yes. Happens repeatedly? Aggravating.

At home.... different day.. hear loud music, car in driveway, our dog barks his low warning bark.... I am not expecting anyone. She proceeds as above. I finally catch a glimpse of her car and figure out it is a neighbor. Rinse and repeat multiple times per week.

I said "if she feels it is unsafe” for her to park on the street she should not expect us to park on the street or wait on the street while she is in my way.

I park in the garage because I cannot twist my bum knee, it is unsafe for me to walk anywhere that I might slip. That was what I meant for safety reasons.

It is 25 mph and fairly busy at that time of day.

Everyone else walks or pulls up to the mailbox to get their mail. It is not that difficult.
YOU said the street was unsafe. If the street is as busy as you claim, I can understand turning left into a driveway, getting the mail, then backing back into traffic. I understand this aggravates you. There is one simple solution... TALK. TO. HER. I'm assuming you're an adult since you have a son with a drivers' license. Act like one. Or let you son do it. "Mary, I understand why you're pulling into the drive, but you're keeping my son from returning home."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter