Need to vent... My heart is breaking

I am so happy or you that everything is working out. I am also one who believes that everything happens for a reason and I am thrilled to hear that you daddy is doing better. :thumbsup2 awesome news!!

Your story reminds me of us. We were supposed to leave tomorrow for our Disney trip but we cancelled several months ago in hopes to move it to spring break or this summer. Just today my daughter was accepted into the spring Disney collage program!:dance3: how funny is that!?! :rotfl2: When she goes, I will be planning several trips to Disney!:cool1:

Congrats to your DD!!!

OP, I'm so glad you have rescheduled your vacation and that your Dad is doing so well and will be able to join you!! I want to wish your DH well in looking for other employment. His current owner/boss deserves no loyalty what-so-ever!

Your children are adorable and so precious to try to make their Dad feel okay about having to work! I'm sure that keeps him going as he works for that Scrooge! Have a wonderful time planning your new and improved trip!:goodvibes

Great news about your dad, wonderful that you will all be able to go together and have a wonderful time. :woohoo:

Glad your DH is getting the vacation request in writing and will keep track of everything this time. Good luck to him finding a new job. It is really tough but is possible if you keep at it!!

Happy planning for your new trip!!! :cheer2:

I really appreciate this information!!! I had those very questions. DH is a salaried employee and last year he used only 4 of his vacation days. He was supposed to also be off during the week between Christmas and New Years but that was eliminated by the company with no compensation. DH was fine with it as he (ironically) really tries to be a team player. He was supposed to have that week off this coming holiday season as well but obviously, he will not.

The week between Christmas and New Years is a company wide vacation week but he has to use his time earned in order to be paid for that week.
I don't intend to be mean, but the first thing that popped into my head when I read this was: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.". This company jerked your DH around last year and your DH went along with it to be a team player, losing 6 days of vacation (and pay) in the process. Don't get me wrong! I understand why he did it. Times are tough, jobs are hard to find and your family needs a steady paycheck. In addition, I am sure that he thought that if he could step up, be that team player they wanted and sacrifice himself for the company, the company would reward him down the line. Which brings me to another saying: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them.". The company showed your DH who they were last year so it really shouldn't come as a big surprise that they are pulling the same crap they pulled last year. It worked successfully for them once, it will work for them again!

RustyScupper: If you have any other words of advice as to how to protect ourselves in the event that this should happen again, I'm all ears!
I don't think you really can protect yourself. You can put in a written request for vacation and receive a written approval but it won't be worth the paper it's printed on if the company decides yet again that your DH's presence is required at work and rescinds his vacation. I guess he could sue for his lost vacation pay, but as an "at will" employee he will be fired for one trumped up reason or another. The best thing he could do is to eventually find a new job that treats him fairly after your February vacation.

So, it's a blessing to work for a company that takes advantage of their workers? A company that cancels all vacations for the rest of the year? {{hugs}}.

No....it's a blessing that you work,get a paycheck,and can keep a roof over your family.:thumbsup2No matter what.
Sounds like they have no choice right now but to make the best of,which OP seems like she's doing....:)
The rest of it,yeah it really stinks. Looking for a new job might be a good idea,but quitting immediately over a lousy policy is hardly the best idea.
Some folks actually have no options except to live with the work conditions they have....which is definitely a blessing when it's a choice of job or no job at all.

We only lost the difference between going from value season to regular season, the difference between preferred and premium because that was all the was available in February, and the one way plane ticket for my daughter.

NICE!!!!:cool1: so glad things are working out for you all! Hopefully your DH can look for something different now too...I understand...my DH has a very difficult time with his boss(es) at times, and he has to work extra hard just to get what is owing to him!

I don't intend to be mean, but the first thing that popped into my head when I read this was: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.". This company jerked your DH around last year and your DH went along with it to be a team player, losing 6 days of vacation (and pay) in the process. Don't get me wrong! I understand why he did it. Times are tough, jobs are hard to find and your family needs a steady paycheck. In addition, I am sure that he thought that if he could step up, be that team player they wanted and sacrifice himself for the company, the company would reward him down the line. Which brings me to another saying: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them.". The company showed your DH who they were last year so it really shouldn't come as a big surprise that they are pulling the same crap they pulled last year. It worked successfully for them once, it will work for them again!

In my experience, when someone starts a post with "I don't intend to be mean", chances are what they are going to follow that with is mean.

The OP's husbands job is what it is. It sounds like some of the work conditions are not ideal. I know it, they know it and you know it.

Now how again was your post helpful?

No....it's a blessing that you work,get a paycheck,and can keep a roof over your family.:thumbsup2No matter what.
Sounds like they have no choice right now but to make the best of,which OP seems like she's doing....:)
The rest of it,yeah it really stinks. Looking for a new job might be a good idea,but quitting immediately over a lousy policy is hardly the best idea.
Some folks actually have no options except to live with the work conditions they have....which is definitely a blessing when it's a choice of job or no job at all.

I agree, and I have many friends and relatives in this type situation.

Yes, OP, your dh could probably have grounds for a suit, as a previous poster stated, but I would proceed *very* cautious with that line of thinking. He might or might not win, but regardless, word gets round fast in the business world, and he might have a hard time getting employment again. Once people have sued their employer/company (even when in the right) they tend to *wear* the letter on them.

My dh knows what it is like to swallow the *bitter*, but sometimes for long term *good* that has to happen.

I'm glad that you can look forward to another trip, and meanwhile maybe your dh can find other employment before this happens again. There are lots of jerks in the business world (elsewhere too). :headache:

Bob NC said:
In my experience, when someone starts a post with "I don't intend to be mean", chances are what they are going to follow that with is mean.

The OP's husbands job is what it is. It sounds like some of the work conditions are not ideal. I know it, they know it and you know it.

And your own posts are helpful, how? This is a discussion board. We discuss things.

I felt that Robin was being mean towards the company than anyone else. After all, the OP has indeed figured out what the company is up to, so no one has been fooled. Therefore it can't be taken as being mean to the OP.

And if the OP and her husband haven't totally gotten how cruddy this whole thing is, Robin has really laid it out in plain words. This could help the OP, and it could help lurkers.

My husband was at a job that he quite liked, with a main boss he liked a lot. His middle boss, however, was so much like Lumberg from Office Space that it was painful. At some point, they realized he was hunting for a new job, and gave him this big pie in the sky raise/promotion offer. Then had him on the string for nearly a *year* as they kept trying to get approval, it was coming through any week from now, the higher-ups are having problems saying OK to this, etc etc etc. He FINALLY realized that they were NEVER going to give him that promotion and raise, and the moment he realized that he started looking for other jobs again.

I really disagree that working for a cruddy job is a blessing in any way other than a paycheck. The stress from a job like that can damage a person's health and mental-well-being, and cause intense and immense stress on a family. Working for a company that does shady things is absolutely terrible.

Of course most working people aren't in a position to just walk in and say "take this job and shove it" (though my aunt did just that at walmart when they told him that her sister wasn't "close enough family" for her to take off work to go to a funeral for), but working towards that day isn't a bad thing to recommend. The OP's husband might be surprised at what he might find, or at the very least looking for something else will help him feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel which can help alleviate stress.

OP, I am truly happy for your Dad's recovery and pray for his continued good health! I agree with him that all things happen for a reason and I am excited for you and the family for the upcoming Feb trip.
The economy is difficult, though, as you have expressed, you don't have to continue to be walked all over. It is always a fact (good or bad economy) that it is easier to get a job, while employed. As DH looks for a job, might I suggest that you all also look for ways to cut down other costs. He may find another job making not exactly as much. People will often times over look lesser paying jobs thinking "we can't afford a pay cut". A voluntary pay cut is better than a forced one. Someone previously stated that stress effects your health and the health of your family and this current job is just not good for your DH or the family. To make a long story short, see if the finances can be trimmed at all, start saving (for the WDW trip of course :goodvibes) also for the possibility of a slight cut (a few dollars perhaps). I'm just looking at worse case scenario and how to be prepared. You seem to have a beautiful family (I just love your kids attitudes about it all) and you are doing good about keeping focused too! I am sure your DH will find a better job, because while karma can be a (insert choice word here), it comes around good/bad/ or indifferent for everyone. Your DH clearly has some great positive karma coming his way! Stay positive and happy to see the new ticker!!!pixiedust:

***p.s. I am speaking from personal knowledge, the ticker in my siggy is a hope ticker as I am currently unemployed. Disney is a happy distraction and I believe I soon will find a job. Your story really inspired me to hang in there, thanks :goodvibes***

Last post/update in this thread... So, our trip has officially been moved to the only other week that will work until after May 17th and we don't do heat very well. This week works for a varity of reasons and all of them are good ones.

DH submitted his request for leave and explained that he must have written approval/denial by the end of this week (Wednesday because of the holiday). We are waiting. If he gets it back approved fairly quickly, we will be deleighted and assume there are no issues. If it gets denied, DH will be looking for another job in the next three months.

It's not really about just this vacation but more about the fact that he has a family. How would they react if one of our kids got really sick and was hospitalized? Or, more realistically, one of our kids had something important happen in their lives and their dad needed to be there for it...

Don't misunderstand me. DH has a job and we are so very thankful for that. I think he will jut start looking and if it's meant to be, something may cross his path.

Thanks for all the support everyone! We are starting to get excited for our February trip.

I'm sorry but I would quit and go on my vacation. I could not work for a company that treated me that way. What does your husband do? It is something he could do somewhere else? Maybe somewhere that treats their employees better?

Seriously? You would quit a job because your vacation was cancelled? :crazy2:

I agree that having a vacation cancelled because of work is disappointing, but it's not the end of the world.

Though your husband's boss sounds like a real jerk, I was so happy to read about your dad's good news that will allow him to join you for a rescheduled trip! That will be wonderful!

The medical office I work for just announced that we're switching to electronic medical records and we have training the week of June 17th and we can not miss it. On top of that we won't be able to have off for the 2 to 3 weeks following so we can get the hang of it. Originally this was going to happen in May but for whatever reason, they changed the date. Now, I think it's horrible to do this in the summer, can't they do it in the winter when no one really goes anywhere. Thankfully this won't affect my vacation at the end of July but one of my co-workers goes to Myrtle Beach every year with her extended family. She already put $900 down on the house they rent. I told her she needs to talk to HR. They can't just spring this on us and not expect that some people have plans,especially since the original date wouldn't have affected her. Hopefully it will work out for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter