Need input for where to stay

Rpsemont

DIS Veteran
I could really use some of your thoughts on this. We're going in Nov. Arrive late on the 7th and fly out midday on the 12th - so we have 4 full days. This will be our 5th trip. I told DH one of the things I'd like to do is just hang out at a resort for a day or two. Maybe rent water mice, DD could do Pirate adventure. Swim, rent bikes and do the Campfire and movie at Fort Wilderness. We have a really tight budget for this trip so here are two options I've come up with:
1) 5 nights at ASMu total cost $306 vs
2) 4 nights at 3* with Priceline and one night at Wilderness lodge - approximate total cost $292
The plus side of ASMu is that we don't move and have the Disney feel the whole time. We could still spend a day hanging out at the monorail resorts and still head to Fort Wilderness. We always rent a car. BUT I'd really like to stay at WL. We could take the boat to the monorail resorts, see EWP, if timing works see MK fireworks, Etc. But the only way to afford this is using priceline for the other nights. So what are your thoughts? Anything involving more than $320 is too much.

I used Priceline (after reading www.biggingfortravel.com) for the first time in March on a budget trip and got the Wyndham Orlando for $30 a night. While it was near Universal, it was very nice, and you couldn't beat the price. In March I-4 was no problem.

I don't know if I would want the hassle of moving...in my opinion, the WL is somewhat over-rated, but I know alot of people love it, so you might also.

I think in the end with not being able to check in until 3 or 4 (and rooms lately tend not to be ready until then for some reason) I wouldn't want to bother with the move myself...that's just my 2 cents!

Good luck!

I say stay at the ASMu, I just think the hassel of moving hotels when you are only staying 5 nights isnt worth it. You could drive over and visit the WL one day, make dinner reservations at one of their restaraunts. Or park at the TTC and get on the monorail and visit the CR POLY and GF in one day. I dont think any hotel is worth the trouble of checking in and out for one night, just think of everyhting else you could be doing in the time it takes you to do that. Thats just my opinion though. =)

Stay at All Stars. On the next trip, maybe you can stay at WL for more than one night.

I would stay at the All Stars. IMHO moving wastes time better spent enjoying something else.

Have a great trip.

We've done what you are talking about doing, several times. We like to tag a day or two at a deluxe onto an offsite stay, though our offsite stays are usually a full week. For us, this has worked out quite well, since the day we check-in onsite, we don't normally plan on visiting the parks anyhow.

Here's what I'd suggest, based on that experience, if you are going to do this. Sleep in, your last morning offsite. Pack a little day bag with your swimsuits. Check-out and drive directly to WL to pre-check-in. Leave your luggage with the bellhop but keep your day bag with you. Spend the day doing resort activities (boats, swim, explore - you have full resort access after the pre-check-in). In the late afternoon, stop at the front desk or call them on a house phone and see if your room is ready. You'll have plenty of time to get into your room and freshen up for dinner.

I don't think I'd bother with all this if we planned to visit the parks on moving day. But for resort activities, it works well for us. :D :cool:

To help your budget I would stay at one of the AllStars. The WL is beautiful(the lobby area), but the standard room we had was small and the walls are thin. We heard children is the halls, etc. Also, the food will be less expensive. Plus, moving would waste precious time.
I would have a problem with not going into the parks each day though. To me that's what DisneyWorld is about.:D

Being a Disney on-property veteran,I see where everyone posting before me,is suggesting that you stay at the AllStar Music.I fully agree with all.Even though many of the other places are decorated quite nicely and are very beautiful,the prices(in my opinion),are outrageous!I just can't see spending $150-$300 for one night at these expensive places.Do as the posters said and as we,go to these resorts,visit them,walk around the grounds,video-tape the places,and then enjoy your tapes as memories from your trip.Stay at the Music resort.We stayed there last year and are staying there this year in October.We loved it!The atmosphere is magical,especially at the Broadway section at night,where we prefer to stay.Not to mention that the Intermission Food Court is fantastic.Plenty of food selections to pick from,with reasonable prices,even for Disney!I and my wife have done the more expensive restaurants at Disney,especially at Epcot,and I'll tell you,for the most part,I wasn't all that impressed.But the food court at Music is well worth eating there.Last year,we ate there every night,except when we were at Epcot;of course we ate there since it closes later than the other parks.Matter of fact,we still have more resorts to visit this year and video-tape,to add to our previous ones.Seriously,unless you are very well off in the money department,I wouldn't spend that much money just to stay in the fancier resorts,when they are all basicly the same.A bed or two,a bathroom and a tv.Plus,most of us spend more time outside the room anyway.Here's a tip:if you can arrive on or before Oct 2,you can get the fall discounted rate.We are arriving on Oct 2 and staying for 9 nights this year,for under $500.Can't beat it! I hope I've helped,cause that's all I am trying to do.

I say stay at the AS!!!! You could have dinner at WL and then go over to Ft Wilderness...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter