Need ideas... staying at campground but not going to parks Juky 4th

D.morrow0084

Earning My Ears
We have an 8, 12, and 15 yo. We are renting a golf cart. We are looking at things to do around the entire resort for a 7 day trip. Any other hotels we can visit and do stuff there etc.
Right now we have getting there Sat, Sunday- hoop-dedo-rve at 615, a waterpark one day but not sure which one.
Thanks

Last edited:
We will be there, and going to the same Hoop dee doo show on that Sunday.

There is a golf cart parade on the 4th. And there are usually other special activities, there may be a beach bash that night too.

You can watch the MK fireworks from the beach.

There is usually some kind of scavenger hunt going on, check with the bike barn behind the Meadow Trading Post.

And then there is always the pool, tennis, volleyball, etc.

You can visit the other resorts, take the boat to MK and then get on the monorail to ride around and stop at the 3 resorts on the monorail line. From MK, you can take a boat to Wilderness Lodge, or there is a bus from Fort Wilderness to the Lodge.

Have a great time!

Last edited:
Sometimes we take trips to check out other resorts or ride Disney transportation or check out stuff. Such as:

A. Loop out to Epcot and back-boat FW to MK, monorail to TTC, monorail to Epcot, monorail BACK to TTC, ferry to MK, boat to FW.
B. Ride Skyliner. As a resort guest you can park your car at theme parks so-drive to Disney Studios, Skyliner from Studios to Pop, Skyliner to Epcot, wander around Boardwalk if you wish, then take one of the Epcot boats through the canal past Swan/Dolphin back to Studios.
C. We do a "7 Seas Lagoon Resort" loop-boat or bus to MK, then monorail around and get off at Grand Fl, Poly, Contemp, etc. to enjoy the AC and relax. Kids can use their game rooms to play games (I did some pinball at the Contemp). We also stop for a Dole Whip in a souvenir sipper or bowl at the Poly (just outside the main lobby area ground floor, out the sliding doors in the direction of MK and the service window/seating is on the left).
D. Go to Port Orleans Riverside and take the boat to Disney Springs for your DS ramble then boat back to POR. Sit on the POR back porch of the lobby in the rocking chairs (nice).
E. Go see Yehaa Bob Jackson's show at POR in the evenings (he is off some nights so check his schedule on the link). Bob is very talented, funny, and family friendly of course. 90 minute show does 2x per night. Disney's Yehaa Bob Link Plenty of YT videos and his website to show you what to expect. No reservation but seating fills up so get there early for a party of 5.
F. We also held a cut-throat round of putt-putt golf at one of Disney's 2 locations. Those are harder to get walk-up so best to call and reserve a set day/time a day or two in advance. But it was surprisingly competitive and fun.

We also walked the sidewalk from MK to Grand Flor as part of our 7 Seas loop (although I've read the trail was closed recently for some reason but maybe it's reopened). So yeah, mix in some fun/games or refreshments along the way. We also would schedule a lunch at a destination resort such as Grand Floridian Cafe, Beaches n Cream, Earl of Sandwich and eat there while on one of these jaunts.

Anyway, that's what we do.

Bama Ed

PS - we also catch the MK fireworks from the Contemporary Resort at night. You can view them from the Tower outside end that faces the MK on the concourse level. That can get crowded so people even climb the outside stairwells for a higher view. We liked to go a few minutes early and stand on the elevated walkway between Contemp and Bay Lake Tower. That whole area also gets the music/sound with the fireworks too.

Last edited:
We always schedule a dining reservation (Whispering Canyon or Storybook Dining) at the Wilderness Lodge and grab a quick tour of the resort while we are there. It's a great place to visit.

We've done 6 day trips with no parks while at FW as well.

It's easy to get up have breakfast, hang out a little at the pool, and then do an activity or visit in the afternoon and suddenly, you are wondering where your day went!

The bike barn will loan you all sorts of sporting equipment - for FREE! My kids played pickleball, basketball, volleyball, shuffleboard at various times during our last stay.

Contemporary has outdoor ping pong tables near the boat dock. We like to watch the movie and the sing along at the Fort but the other resorts also show movies if you want a change of scenery.

We like to grab a blanket and watch the MK fireworks from the Fort beach then stick around for the water parade.

Monorail / skyliner / boardwalk bar crawl. We usually grab the cupcakes that are unique to each resort while we're at it.

Rent one of those family bikes at the Boardwalk.

Have fun! These are my favorite types of trips.

For the kids, maybe not the older one but who knows, my daughter loved pin trading. So thats something , albit fast, that people like to do. If your lucky people set up trading boards at there campsites.

Sometimes we take trips to check out other resorts or ride Disney transportation or check out stuff. Such as:

A. Loop out to Epcot and back-boat FW to MK, monorail to TTC, monorail to Epcot, monorail BACK to TTC, ferry to MK, boat to FW.
B. Ride Skyliner. As a resort guest you can park your car at theme parks so-drive to Disney Studios, Skyliner from Studios to Pop, Skyliner to Epcot, wander around Boardwalk if you wish, then take one of the Epcot boats through the canal past Swan/Dolphin back to Studios.
C. We do a "7 Seas Lagoon Resort" loop-boat or bus to MK, then monorail around and get off at Grand Fl, Poly, Contemp, etc. to enjoy the AC and relax. Kids can use their game rooms to play games (I did some pinball at the Contemp). We also stop for a Dole Whip in a souvenir sipper or bowl at the Poly (just outside the main lobby area ground floor, out the sliding doors in the direction of MK and the service window/seating is on the left).
D. Go to Port Orleans Riverside and take the boat to Disney Springs for your DS ramble then boat back to POR. Sit on the POR back porch of the lobby in the rocking chairs (nice).
E. Go see Yehaa Bob Jackson's show at POR in the evenings (he is off some nights so check his schedule on the link). Bob is very talented, funny, and family friendly of course. 90 minute show does 2x per night. Disney's Yehaa Bob Link Plenty of YT videos and his website to show you what to expect. No reservation but seating fills up so get there early for a party of 5.
F. We also held a cut-throat round of putt-putt golf at one of Disney's 2 locations. Those are harder to get walk-up so best to call and reserve a set day/time a day or two in advance. But it was surprisingly competitive and fun.

We also walked the sidewalk from MK to Grand Flor as part of our 7 Seas loop (although I've read the trail was closed recently for some reason but maybe it's reopened). So yeah, mix in some fun/games or refreshments along the way. We also would schedule a lunch at a destination resort such as Grand Floridian Cafe, Beaches n Cream, Earl of Sandwich and eat there while on one of these jaunts.

Anyway, that's what we do.

Bama Ed

PS - we also catch the MK fireworks from the Contemporary Resort at night. You can view them from the Tower outside end that faces the MK on the concourse level. That can get crowded so people even climb the outside stairwells for a higher view. We liked to go a few minutes early and stand on the elevated walkway between Contemp and Bay Lake Tower. That whole area also gets the music/sound with the fireworks too.

Hey Ed, what's the parking situation to do the boat from POR to DS? Would we have to pay to park or is parking even an option without an ADR?

We were thinking of 'busing' it from FtW to DS, but catching a boat from POR sounds like more fun. We'd be dropping our dog off at Best Friends beforehand and POR is just 'spittin' distance' IF we can park there for free. One of the 'downsides' to busing it is taking Crash to BF then having to double back to FtW to catch the bus.

Hey Ed, what's the parking situation to do the boat from POR to DS? Would we have to pay to park or is parking even an option without an ADR?

@StormyCA , parking was not a problem when we would head over to POR.

Resorts near theme parks have to be very careful - MK (Poly, GF, CR) and EP (YC, BC, BW) but I always found POR easy to get into. We flashed our Magic Bands at the guard at the gate, he scanned and saw we were FW resort guests (no ADR, not staying there, no event there) but let us in.

One thing about the boats to DS is that they do stop along the way at POFQ and the boat captains at POR would always make sure to leave some empty seats departing POR to have room to pick up possible guests at POFQ (which I can understand).

So sometimes we would leave POR with empty seats on the boat even though the queue still had people waiting in line. But bottom line is that it's not as strict about parking as at the theme park resorts. It's a nice diversion.

Ed

PS - you can always tell the guard you've come to eat at BoatWright's (Table Service Dinner only) or Riverside Mill Food Court (Counter Service) at POR depending on the time of day for your visit.

Last edited:
For the kids, maybe not the older one but who knows, my daughter loved pin trading. So thats something , albit fast, that people like to do. If your lucky people set up trading boards at there campsites.
i didn't see a lot of pin trading boards at the fort the last few times we were there. Can think of any as a matter of fact..but there was some boards of other things. I imagine that if you put up a board in the evenings you would probably get some lookers... i know i would stop to see what you have. :)

i didn't see a lot of pin trading boards at the fort the last few times we were there. Can think of any as a matter of fact..but there was some boards of other things. I imagine that if you put up a board in the evenings you would probably get some lookers... i know i would stop to see what you have. :)
Agreed ,not many, but both shops have them. You may have to ask. They actually have 2 in each shop, 1 by each register. At least it was that way when I was thier last. It is fun for the kids, and adults alike.

I can recommend 3 things near WDW .
First the MargaritaVille Resort Sunset Walk is in the nearby Target area.
They have a lot of activity, Live bands nightly , free parking Studio Movie Grill Theatre also located here. Fun to walk around the MR lobby and then visit restaurants , and shops and Game Time Arcade ! It’s fun just to wander in this big cleanest nicest Arcade …I sent my grown daughter ( has teen age kids) photo of the PONG Video Game that
She is excited to go there next visit this summer !
Ithink there are some HappyHours .
Also in this complex is an incredible H2O Water Theme a park and they have half price tickets online today . Lots of slides and family slides and a lazy River with free big round floats and and Big Wave Pool and Friday night Movie Night in big screen behind the wavepool
Also check out the Gaylord Resort located very close to WDW .
Love the Buffet selection in lobby restaurant and just updated a really nice coffee/ food service and pool has a great outdoor bar and WaterPark activities including a learn how to surf . Mini pool area!
Lots of music and people watching .Later in the evening the resort will have an outstanding light show in the central lobby gallery .
You will have to pay for parking or just be dropped off with Uber …
I love this play. They have different seasonal events For all the holidays.
And an indoor gator pool with the chance to watch them being fed by a guy that just has a bucket of food to protect him as he enters the fenced in pond !!! I think this is only on certain nights .

I live nearby and will try to think of more fun things
Oh yeahI went there for the first time last year , Celebration has an incredible Fourth of July in their Town Square , pay for parking in certain churches and high school , etc… Restaurants and Bars and a Starbucks Open
Their is a really nice lakeside Marriott Resort All within walking distance of town square.

Forgot to add PONG

IMG_1905.png

And 4 expensive cars to sit in for Interactive Racing Game

IMG_1906.png

Car Shows on weekends

IMG_1907.png

I finally got around to going to GatorLand located off Toll Road 417 and Orange Blossom Road
Not too far away but surprised at how much fun this was
Go early It gets hot !

Skyliner to Epcot and hit the area resorts. For us, Ale and Compass is a must stop for an afternoon cocktail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter