Need Expert Camera Advice! Do I Buy Photoshop?-11/13/12

ah, i get it! "crop body" actually refers to the size of the camera body! gotcha! :thumbsup2:
"Crop 'body'" is more about the sensor size. Without complicating things, basically the T#i series of Canons have a sensor that is smaller than a "full frame" sensor. As such due to physics and optics and all that fun stuff, the "zoom" factor on a crop sensor (at least, this one in particular) is about 1.6. Meaning that a 100mm lens on this crop sensor is roughly equivalent to a 160mm lens on a full frame. Since crop sensors are smaller, they do typically make the bodies a bit smaller, but the terminology is more about the sensor than the body.

Basically, you can visualize an image taken with a full frame camera, and cropping a portion out of it, and that's roughly the result that you get on a crop sensor.

It's not all that important to know the differences between the full frame and crop, only that a) they exist and b) that you have a handle on the relative differences in focal lengths between your own lenses on your own body/sensor. There are some other things (e.g. "Normal" lenses - which relate to how your eyes see the world vs an SLR lens and stuff like that), but they're really not anything to worry about just yet.

As others said, the only aspect of a crop body important for your purposes, is that lens focal length is actually 1.6. So 55 is really over 80. And 250 is close to 400.

Another option on your budget of course, is buy the refurb with kit lens. And then rent a super high quality zoom for your trip.

Another option on your budget of course, is buy the refurb with kit lens. And then rent a super high quality zoom for your trip.

that is an awesome idea! only problem is, there's not a camera store within 75 miles of my home. :( i live in a rural area, outside of a small city.

that is an awesome idea! only problem is, there's not a camera store within 75 miles of my home. :( i live in a rural area, outside of a small city.

No. No. No. No. No.

You rent lenses ONLINE. There are several VERY reputable online lens renting companies that can give you exactly what you need for probably <$150 for 7-10 days. It would be a MUCH nicer lens that what we were talking about you buying (the 55-250). BUT, you will be ruined if you do it. Once you use something like the 70-300L or the 70-200L, it's hard to go back to the "cheap stuff." ;)

In photography, knowledge is king but great equipment puts knowledge to work. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I'm not endorsing these guys, just proving that they exist. http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-70-300mm-f4-5.6l-is

no need to rent a lens!

i called canon to buy the camera through the canon loyalty program, and the guy asked me if i needed an extra lens, and i said i'd been considering it, so he offered me the 55-250 for 50% off! :banana:

so, i got the camera 20% off, and the lens 50% off! WOOHOO! :woohoo:

Congratulations. Can't wait to see your first batch of pictures with the new camera.

You'll be fine on auto mode. But if you choose to learn more about dslr photography, your pictures will only get better.

no need to rent a lens!

i called canon to buy the camera through the canon loyalty program, and the guy asked me if i needed an extra lens, and i said i'd been considering it, so he offered me the 55-250 for 50% off! :banana:

:cool1: :cool1:

THANK YOU EVERYONE for all of your advice! everyone has been SO kind and patient, even with my idiotic questions. i can't wait to actually be able to post a decent photo for y'all! :banana:

no need to rent a lens!

Good God-Almighty. I hope you jumped all over that one!

ABSOLUTELY! should be here on thursday! :thumbsup2 :banana:

and, had you not told me about the canon loyalty program, i never would've known! THANK YOU! :worship:

That and the refurb program are Canon's best kept secrets. They don't advertise the loyalty program at all! You almost have to hear about it from somebody.

You're certainly welcome. I hope you're happy when you get it. I have every reason to believe you will be.

ABSOLUTELY! should be here on thursday! :thumbsup2 :banana:

and, had you not told me about the canon loyalty program, i never would've known! THANK YOU! :worship:

I'm looking forward to your follow-up and comments once you've received the camera and played with it a little. We always look forward to seeing if recommendations lead to an end result that met expectations.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

I'm looking forward to your follow-up and comments once you've received the camera and played with it a little. We always look forward to seeing if recommendations lead to an end result that met expectations.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

thanks! i'm looking forward to giving some feedback! i keep checking my order status, and it hasn't shipped yet. :( i'm worse than a kid at Christmas! lol

Should be the right one, SDHC (HC = High Capacity) is what you're looking for. I picked up a couple of the Extreme versions of that same card for my recent trip and they worked great. Much faster than the standard ones I had before.

Of course, I do have a tendency to hold down the button to shoot a few in a row...something I'm kicking myself for while I wallow in piles of duplicate shots trying to find the "right" one to pull out :p.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter