• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Expert Camera Advice! Do I Buy Photoshop?-11/13/12

Get Adobe Classroom in a Book for Lightroom. Don't buy the ebook version, get a print copy. Do the lessons and by the end you'll have a really good handle on using Lightroom.

I am guessing by what you said that the book and the ebook is different? Brand new to image processing, I'm also looking at various ways to get to grips with the what, how and why :)

If you have iPad/iPhone, there is a good lightroom 4 training app. Includes raw photos for you to follow along the instructional videos.

I am guessing by what you said that the book and the ebook is different? Brand new to image processing, I'm also looking at various ways to get to grips with the what, how and why :)

Yeah, there's some differences in the two versions. And it's much easier to work form the printed book for a number of reasons. The biggest is continuity in the display of the images. The printed book offers that so when you view the image and what it's "supposed" to look like there's no variation like you get with any digital display. It can make a real difference when it comes to lessons on contrast and color.

Yeah, there's some differences in the two versions. And it's much easier to work form the printed book for a number of reasons. The biggest is continuity in the display of the images. The printed book offers that so when you view the image and what it's "supposed" to look like there's no variation like you get with any digital display. It can make a real difference when it comes to lessons on contrast and color.

Thank you

I will take your advice and order myself a book then :goodvibes

If you have iPad/iPhone, there is a good lightroom 4 training app. Includes raw photos for you to follow along the instructional videos.

Which particular one? There are a million training tools out there for Adobe on the App Store. Could you provide a specific search for the App Store for them since it sounds like you have a very specific one in mind?

Which particular one? There are a million training tools out there for Adobe on the App Store. Could you provide a specific search for the App Store for them since it sounds like you have a very specific one in mind?

I believe it's just called Lightroom 4 retouching. It includes 7 instructional videos. Gives you a very good feel for the most common controls.

Sorry, another question:

I found the book (real book) for Adobe LR 4 in a Classroom - and in suggested items I see that Scott Kelby also has a similar (or seems to be) book. Is one better than the other? Would you rather go for the Adobe one vs the Scott Kelby one, and if so, why? Any thoughts?

Sorry, another question:

I found the book (real book) for Adobe LR 4 in a Classroom - and in suggested items I see that Scott Kelby also has a similar (or seems to be) book. Is one better than the other? Would you rather go for the Adobe one vs the Scott Kelby one, and if so, why? Any thoughts?

I'd go with the Adobe Classroom in a Book myself. I just prefer their method of teaching the lessons. And I don't like Scott Kelby's style in general. But that's just a personal preference.

is this a good photo editing software? i see that it's on sale on amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...90957&creativeASIN=B0093FROMA&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Photoshop Elements is the home user version of Photoshop. It's really good software to get started with because you get great editing tools in a slightly more user friendly piece of software than Photoshop CS. Like most of Adobe's software you can download a full version that's good for 30 days to try it out from adobe.com

Adobe will give you a free 30 day trial as mentioned. So try it out first. You should also look at Lightroom. You may find you want both products, just one, or neither.

When ready to buy, you can save a lot of money with the student/teacher version of certain adobe products, just put it in your daughter's name. Don't think they give student/teacher pricing on Elements, but full Photoshop suddenly becomes more afforable with the discount, and Lightroom is very affordable with the discount.

Sorry, another question:

Scott Kelby is the #1 selling author in computers and photography for seven years running. That's because he does a great job of teaching complex concepts in a manner that's easy to understand.

He also has a sense of humor that some folks find corny, so that may or may not be an issue for you. It doesn't bother me and I've learned a lot from the man.

That said, I tend to prefer video training to books. I subscribe to Kelby Training. Not only does it have a lot of video courses on Lightroom and Photoshop, but also on many other photography subjects.

If you'd like to see some screen shots and get more of my thoughts about it, I have a review posted at http://williambeem.com/reviews/kelby-training-review.

I can't see them doubling up a discount. I imagine it's probably going to be one or the other. But I'd call and find out for sure either way.

They would not double the discount. I ended up not using the loyalty program and got the t3i and kit lens for $459. I also ordered the Understanding Exposure book. It all was delivered yesterday, so my weekend plans are set now! I can't wait to start using my new camera. Thanks to everyone here on these boards with their great advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter