Need a good book series.... Greek Mythology?

If your child enjoyed Rick Riorden's books, he or she will love, love, love this series by Michael Scott. The first book is called The Alchemyst. (Then there is The Magician, The Sorceress, The Nechromancher and The Warlock).

They are set in present day with Nicholas Flamel (immortal of course) and a set of teenage twins as the main characters. The books are fast paced and exciting and incorporate a huge amount of mythology and history.

Here's a tip for finding similar series. When you are viewing a book on Amazon, there will be a recommendation for books that other people have searched for. (It's not how I found this series, but everytime I look for a Riorden book, these books usually pop up as well. I had just never paid attention to it before.)

How about the Pendragon series - my boys really liked these and ds13 is reading them now. They are by D.J. MacHale - the entire series is out and available. There are 10 books.

My son loved the Percy Jackson series.

He is reading The Hunger Game series now (3 books so far) and says it is very popular in 7-8th grade now.

My DD12 finished reading the Percy Jackson series... 3-4 times already. :rolleyes1 She doesn't want to start the Red Pyramid until more books are out because she just...can't...wait...to read the next book in a series. :laughing:

She'd rather re-read the PJ series again and AGAIN. She made her sister (10) read the series also so they can discuss. And she reads the fanfiction about PJ on-line. :headache:

She has the Kingdom Keepers and the Harry Potter books ready to read but hasn't started them yet.

According to her, she like Mythology but not "Magic" or "Fantasy" books. :snooty::rolleyes1

She did finish the How to Train a Dragon series because that was super easy and fast to read.

I told her that if she finished the HP series I would take her and her sister to US/IOA. ;)

And if she started another series, I would read the PJ series also.

There's just no substitute for her, she LOVES the series.

Good luck with finding a new series!

I did borrow the 39 Clues book by Rick Riordan from the library for her and her sister a while ago and neither was particularly interested in the book or series at the time. But that was a while ago before she fell in love with the PJ series.

So, maybe I'll borrow it again along with the second book in the series and see it they can get into them now...

Good luck.

DS *almost 11* likes The Hunger Games too ~ I've read the 2nd book and enjoyed it. He also enjoys the Ranger's Apprentice series.

My son is 12 and has read the Percy Jackson series too. He also likes a series called "Daniel X" (James Patterson) and another about a character called Charlie Bone...not sure about the author.

Not Greek, but he might like the Septimus Heap series. Another series to try is Fablehaven. Both have magic and mythical creatures, but are faster reads than the Potter series. If you want to drop a fortune, there's the 39 Clues books. My son is begging for them but since they seem like nothing more than a cash grab to me, I won't buy them. Oh, another popular series is the Warriors series...I even had middle schoolers reading and enjoying them. It's an older series, but a lot of kids this age like the People of Sparks series. Two more popular series: Artemis Fowl and Inkheart. Both have mythical creatures. A suggestion: get the first book of the series from the library before considering a purchase!

A comment about The Hunger Games: many boys love the first book and then are completely furious at the turn the second book takes. There is much more a focus on love and romance. I had male students start the second book, become completely disgusted with it, and drop it. You'll know whether your son would be up for a love triangle or not. As for the Maze Runner...it disappointed me because there is no real end to the first book...it just sets up the second. There's also Incarceron...but it tends to appeal to older teens.

I do have one other series: The Holly Black books Tithe, Valient, and Ironside. A warning, they are young adult novels. They involve drugs, sex, cutting, homosexuality.... They are about Faerie...you might want to read one yourself to decide if they're appropriate for your son. They tended to appeal to older middle schoolers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!