My lesson learned on The Dis

I read your trip report- I don't see any problem with what you did, and think perhaps jealousy reared it's ugly head in the case of some posters??

Wow they kept a three year old of line for 10 minutes...that's just good planning. Toddlers have a hard time doing something they LIKE for 20 minutes...Standing in line can be really really tough for them. Besides you don't know anything about her child. Mine would have been crying and thrashing on the pavement by the end which I'm sure most people in line would have gladly traded 15 seconds for in return for a wait without a screaming banchee in front of them. If a parent can keep a child busy rather than freaking out in a long line more power to them; even if it's just for half the wait. I don't really see why it should be a requirement that the rest of the family is sitting around either doing nothing or in the bathroom if they are trying to make the day easier on a toddler. The only reason anyone cared about this is because they won the night in the penthouse suite. But how somebody acts in line shouldn't change because of a contest that is completely random.

I agree with most here! Your trip report was great and I read some of the rude comments. Just way out of line. Why do people get so upset and uptight over reading something??

I also happen to think that they did say some mean things to you out of jealousy. It's too bad some are like that. Its always the same people who have to try to knock others down to feel superior! I would ignore it although I know it's hard. Sometimes on the DIS I really have found that people can get so nasty and hurtful on purpose! It's like they are excited to say mean things and hide behind the computer screen. Just blow it off!

The people who complain about something like letting them join you in line would probably be the SAME people who would complain that there is a toddler waiting in line screaming and acting up out of boredom! :lmao:

Obviously most on here do not feel that way and are so happy for you to receive and SHARE WITH US!!!! your experience at the Mickey Suite! That was just so awesome for you! I :love: the pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!

Don't let it bother you. I don't let anything on here bother me at all when it comes to snarkiness. Jealous and poor sports is what I always think of when people spout out the "you cheated" or talk about something negative instead of the positives.

I was one of those posters who made an unfavorable commment on her trip report. If I can remember correctly there were 2 posters who made similar comments. No one was ugly or called anyone names, there were no flames thrown. I just stated that she was line holding, and it seemed like she was cheating. I don't have a problem with people taking a toddler out of line or rejoining after a bathroom emergency, but according to her trip report her family was riding another ride.

It doesn't sound like a big deal for 3 people to join a line, but it is nonetheless a line. A line is in place for a reason, waiting in line is not optional, it is mandatory. Line jumping in any form is not a good practice and should only be done in the case of "emergency". If you do hold places in line you should be prepared to occasionally receive some less than positive feedback, esp if the line jumping results in a fabulous prize that the party in back of you would have won if your family had not "joined the line".

I read your trip report and I thought it was sweet of you to take the time to share your memories with the rest of us disers! :goodvibes

I am glad you had a magical trip and don't let things get you down.

I say...Who cares?
Personally I don't give a crap if someone in front of me holds the line for other people in their party, I'm still going to get on the ride and I'm at disneyland. So who cares?
And to the OP, good for you for making the most of your time. And don't worry about what other people are saying, you gotta do what's best for you.
I've never been in a party big enough to hold spaces so I've never done it but hey, there are no signs or rules saying no holding spaces, so you do what you gotta do. I didn't read your trip report but it sounds like you had a great time!

I was one of those posters who made an unfavorable commment on her trip report. If I can remember correctly there were 2 posters who made similar comments. No one was ugly or called anyone names, there were no flames thrown. I just stated that she was line holding, and it seemed like she was cheating. I don't have a problem with people taking a toddler out of line or rejoining after a bathroom emergency, but according to her trip report her family was riding another ride.

It doesn't sound like a big deal for 3 people to join a line, but it is nonetheless a line. A line is in place for a reason, waiting in line is not optional, it is mandatory. Line jumping in any form is not a good practice and should only be done in the case of "emergency". If you do hold places in line you should be prepared to occasionally receive some less than positive feedback, esp if the line jumping results in a fabulous prize that the party in back of you would have won if your family had not "joined the line".

Sounds to me like they were clever and were utilizing their time and it resulted in being at the right place at the right time - good for them! No need to feel sore over some else's good fortune. :)

The only time line holding has bothered me is when it has been a huge group - like SB last year at MGM - in line for the ToT, a group of about 30cheerleaders told us they had to get by, chaperone in front. . . . that many people does add to the wait time.

However, DH and I are happy to move aside for a fe people separated from heir family - I never question if it is because of having to use the restroom or whatever - a couple people is no big deal - but a huge touring group is. We are positive people so even if a group of 50 cuts, we try to let go the anger ASAP and continue to enjoy our magical time :)

Sorry you got flamed - it happens on A LOT of boards, your party of four did not make a difference to anyone else waiting :)

You people make such a big deal about nothing. If someone from a family is waiting in line while the other parent is taking kids on rides, then they "catch up" so what. I never have a problem letting families catch up. The way I look at it is that I am an adult, let the kids enjoy Disney. That parent standing in line is not having fun like the rest of the family, so relax its just a line. Now if a group cut in that had no one in line different story. As for cheating to get the prize, the winner would first have to know when and where the prize was to be handed out, then manipulate the line in order to get that prize to be called a cheater. It is random. get over it. What if there was one extra single rider, or two more people joined a family up front, or a family left the line before they got on for whatever reason, or a disabled person was loading or unloading so it slowed the ride down and changed the outcome? would all these people be cheaters also? Think about it:thumbsup2

Very well put Becca. I decided to go read the thread after all. I usually don't bother. It was to post #31 at the time. I must say you're 100% right Becca. There was no name calling in the thread on the part of those who don't favor cutting. There was no flaming. If anyone has been attacked both here and there, it is the ones that stated it was cutting. But it's far easier to question their motives than to face the truth of the matter. It is cutting by definition. If the Op was insulted or hurt by by anything that I read in that thread well I think she's insulted by choice.

The fact remains it is cutting. 3 people that never were in the line cut in front of everyone behind them to join their family member in the line. That is cutting by definition of the word. And had they been open in the line about the fact that mom was saving a spot while they were on another ride and asked every person they cut in front of for permission on that basis, they would not have gotten very far.

Very well put Becca. I decided to go read the thread after all. I usually don't bother. It was to post #31 at the time. I must say you're 100% right Becca. There was no name calling in the thread on the part of those who don't favor cutting. There was no flaming. If anyone has been attacked both here and there, it is the ones that stated it was cutting. But it's far easier to question their motives than to face the truth of the matter. It is cutting by definition. If the Op was insulted or hurt by by anything that I read in that thread well I think she's insulted by choice.

The fact remains it is cutting. 3 people that never were in the line cut in front of everyone behind them to join their family member in the line. That is cutting by definition of the word. And had they been open in the line about the fact that mom was saving a spot while they were on another ride and asked every person they cut in front of for permission on that basis, they would not have gotten very far.

I would have to disagree with your final statement. If I was in a line - and a dad and two small kids asked me to join their wife in line - I would happily welcome it. Let the kids have fun - and if keeping them occupied a little longer and their waits a little shorter make it easier on the kids and makes their time better - let them!!!

I highly doubt the OP was insulted by choice - and she came here to apologize - but it is the others that have been defending her that is probably your beef right now anyway - so let's leave the OP out of this. Unfortunately any negative comment when posted on a board like this can be taken far worse then anyone would hopefully have intended. (I know once I stopped talking to my mom for a week because I thought she was mad at me based on an email she sent :lmao: )

I agree completely! I do think that this is line cutting pure and simple. People do it all the time and use any number of excuses to justify it. It is funny how people get upset with teenagers who do it but not families. Really what is the difference? Line cutting is line cutting no matter how it happens!

Goodness -- the OP stated that now she is educated. She did it once . She was told by many of you that it was a "no-no" -- I'm sure she gets it. It's not that big of an issue IMO We don't need a public flogging over it . . .

I guess I just don't look at life like this! Anyone ever heard of Don't sweat the small stuff??? Yeah I think this would be one of them. :thumbsup2

In Disneyland I'm having fun, EVEN when I'm standing in line! As one poster put it so perfectly No big deal!

:)

First off, I think we need a $.02 icon in the smiles! Secondly, please don't let it worry you if one or two people who are definitely not in the disney spirit get a little cranky. For me, it's not an issue, especially for a family with small children, and this some someone who doesn't have any! If it had been me in line and you had your family join, I would have been fine, and excited to be the first person to congratulate you on winning the fantastic prize! There are definitely times where people holding places bothers me, but not in this case. Hopefully the cranky people will be getting their next disney fix soon, that'll calm them down! :hippie:

I am going to join the minority and say let's call cutting in line exactly that. When you save a place for someone that was not originally there that is cutting in line - no matter the reason. Is it good strategy or justified? I think sometimes it is.

But to say people are pointing it out and saying it is a 'no-no' because they are jealous of a prize seems a little far-reaching to me. Removing someone from the line they were in orginally to go the bathroom or to give them a break and having them rejoin is different - but that didn't happen. The others were on another ride while mom saved a spot for Peter Pan.

I don't think it is horrid, I don't even think it is bad - but it is cutting in line. I've done it and I'll do it again most likely. But it is unfair to those people who have been in line the entire time, or to kids who only have one parent/adult who can't save spots. And I do believe there is a rule against it, but that might just be for cutting in a line that no one has waited in and not for one person saving a spot.

You people make such a big deal about nothing. If someone from a family is waiting in line while the other parent is taking kids on rides, then they "catch up" so what. I never have a problem letting families catch up. The way I look at it is that I am an adult, let the kids enjoy Disney. That parent standing in line is not having fun like the rest of the family, so relax its just a line. Now if a group cut in that had no one in line different story. As for cheating to get the prize, the winner would first have to know when and where the prize was to be handed out, then manipulate the line in order to get that prize to be called a cheater. It is random. get over it. What if there was one extra single rider, or two more people joined a family up front, or a family left the line before they got on for whatever reason, or a disabled person was loading or unloading so it slowed the ride down and changed the outcome? would all these people be cheaters also? Think about it:thumbsup2

No doubt!! this post is pretty amusing ... Everyone needs to take a deep breath maybe put the pixie dust down for a little while honestly :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter