• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

Trying to get back on track!

5 miles at EA last night. Nice easy run. Everything felt good.

Fatigue in the hips seems to have resolved. I've added some more stretching and warm ups. I really think it was from the grandsons bed. It's way more firm than ours and not super comfy for my old bones.

1-11-21.png

Ended up getting started a little late. I was trying to get some sleep before being up most of the night. Got about a 20 min nap and then my brain kicked in so I decided to forgo the sleep and get my run done. Tried laying down after the run and got a facetime call from my grandson.... totally worth not sleeping. Headed to the airport, picked up Donna and back home around midnight... up at 3 to come in early, so sleep was pretty sparse yesterday. I'll lay down and take another nap after work today before we take off on what will hopefully be 10.5 miles for Donna.

Does anyone know an easy way of inputting the training plan into Garmin? I am doing it by hand and it's a little time consuming, especially when I'm inputting Donna's runs also.

Does anyone know an easy way of inputting the training plan into Garmin? I am doing it by hand and it's a little time consuming, especially when I'm inputting Donna's runs also.

For what purpose do you need to? And what exactly are you doing for inputting by hand?

For what purpose do you need to? And what exactly are you doing for inputting by hand?

I put in every run like this.

Donna R pace example.png

I was really just curious if Garmin would just recognize the training plan in a different format? Does that make sense? Excuse my lack of tech knowledge but maybe just a file that I can download straight to the Garmin? That doesn't create more work for you!

Edit: ANNNNND it has to be simple enough I can understand what I'm doing!

I was really just curious if Garmin would just recognize the training plan in a different format? Does that make sense? Excuse my lack of tech knowledge but maybe just a file that I can download straight to the Garmin? That doesn't create more work for you!

Edit: ANNNNND it has to be simple enough I can understand what I'm doing!

There are ways to import training plans into the Garmin Connect interface using .FIT files, but not coming from a PDF like your plans was written. It will be far easier to use Garmin's interface to write the programs.

-For Donna, the Easy days are easy to program. Just do the 60/30 intervals and set the repeat to 40 (the max). Have 3 sets of those and that covers 3 hours of easy intervals. So she'll never have to program the distance again for easy days and she just stops when you've hit the desired mileage.

-For hard days, instead of writing "Donna R pace 11-5-20", I suggest writing "Don 5x60s R". Then when 11/19 comes up and the workout becomes a 8x30s instead of 5x30s, go to the 5x60s workout. Click on the "*" button on the far right side, choose "Duplicate". Here it copies the workout over. Now the changes are easy, just 8 reps and 30s. Hit save and on to the next one. Makes it faster. Do this for all similar style workouts and the programming is cut by a lot.

-For you, don't program easy days. Donna's easy days are already programmed in her watch so no need to program in yours as well if you're running together (although it's easy enough to do). So that just leaves your hard days which you can follow a similar pattern as laid out above with the duplicate feature and a few small tweaks. No need to do a programmed workout for LR FF workouts. Just remember 6 miles LR and 2 miles M Tempo and then go running.

So from today until the plan is over, I see the need for:

-Donna max 3 hr easy
-Donna HM tempo consecutive (duplicate from 1/5 workout)
-Donna HM tempo intervals
-Derek Trail 1/17, 1/31, 2/14, 3/1
-Derek M Tempo intervals

That's 8 workouts to be written between now and 3/21/21.

One thing though is over time you should dump the pace windows on the Garmin workout. They're certainly useful, but at a certain point you've got to learn to feel the pace and not worry about the microadjustments recommended by the watch. There's a place for those windows, but they can also be holding you back. Now I could see the pace windows used for the Trail runs. That's because it's not a regimented pace goal like 4 x 1 mi at HM Tempo with each interval the same. Harder to remember all the precalculated GAPs you're aiming for. Again though, eventually you'll want to get to the point where you don't need the pace alerts from the watch even for the trail and you can just feel whether you're too fast or too slow based on the effort. That'll come with time though.

There are ways to import training plans into the Garmin Connect interface using .FIT files, but not coming from a PDF like your plans was written. It will be far easier to use Garmin's interface to write the programs.

-For Donna, the Easy days are easy to program. Just do the 60/30 intervals and set the repeat to 40 (the max). Have 3 sets of those and that covers 3 hours of easy intervals. So she'll never have to program the distance again for easy days and she just stops when you've hit the desired mileage.

-For hard days, instead of writing "Donna R pace 11-5-20", I suggest writing "Don 5x60s R". Then when 11/19 comes up and the workout becomes a 8x30s instead of 5x30s, go to the 5x60s workout. Click on the "*" button on the far right side, choose "Duplicate". Here it copies the workout over. Now the changes are easy, just 8 reps and 30s. Hit save and on to the next one. Makes it faster. Do this for all similar style workouts and the programming is cut by a lot.

-For you, don't program easy days. Donna's easy days are already programmed in her watch so no need to program in yours as well if you're running together (although it's easy enough to do). So that just leaves your hard days which you can follow a similar pattern as laid out above with the duplicate feature and a few small tweaks. No need to do a programmed workout for LR FF workouts. Just remember 6 miles LR and 2 miles M Tempo and then go running.

So from today until the plan is over, I see the need for:

-Donna max 3 hr easy
-Donna HM tempo consecutive (duplicate from 1/5 workout)
-Donna HM tempo intervals
-Derek Trail 1/17, 1/31, 2/14, 3/1
-Derek M Tempo intervals

That's 8 workouts to be written between now and 3/21/21.

One thing though is over time you should dump the pace windows on the Garmin workout. They're certainly useful, but at a certain point you've got to learn to feel the pace and not worry about the microadjustments recommended by the watch. There's a place for those windows, but they can also be holding you back. Now I could see the pace windows used for the Trail runs. That's because it's not a regimented pace goal like 4 x 1 mi at HM Tempo with each interval the same. Harder to remember all the precalculated GAPs you're aiming for. Again though, eventually you'll want to get to the point where you don't need the pace alerts from the watch even for the trail and you can just feel whether you're too fast or too slow based on the effort. That'll come with time though.

Oh holy cow!!! I was making things WAYYY more complicated than needed! That makes things much easier!

I like the idea of dropping the paces. That is really something that takes time and I am pretty good at getting in the ballpark now just by feel. Not great but okish.

Thanks!!!

Well, last nights run ended in tears and frustration.

1-12-21.png

We set out to try Donna's 10.5 mile run. She was feeling great for the first 2 miles, knee pain was at a 0. After 2 miles it started creeping up and was at a 5 at 2.5 miles. We tried stretching during the walking intervals but after a few of those it was clear it wasn't getting any better and I decided she needed to shut it down. Then the waterworks started. I felt horrible for her. I told her this is just a little speed bump and she'll be fine after treatment. She's very frustrated because she was doing so good and she knows she could have done it. She called the doc as soon as we got home and is scheduled to go see him next Wed. I think it's best if she just stretches and rests until then. Maybe we'll try a couple 2 milers between now and then. But, I think mostly rest.

@DopeyBadger Billy, since last night was so short should I just jump back to my original plan and do my originally schedule M Tempo 8 miles? After we find out what the doc says, I'm sure we'll need to modify the schedule.

Well, last nights run ended in tears and frustration.

View attachment 549905

We set out to try Donna's 10.5 mile run. She was feeling great for the first 2 miles, knee pain was at a 0. After 2 miles it started creeping up and was at a 5 at 2.5 miles. We tried stretching during the walking intervals but after a few of those it was clear it wasn't getting any better and I decided she needed to shut it down. Then the waterworks started. I felt horrible for her. I told her this is just a little speed bump and she'll be fine after treatment. She's very frustrated because she was doing so good and she knows she could have done it. She called the doc as soon as we got home and is scheduled to go see him next Wed. I think it's best if she just stretches and rests until then. Maybe we'll try a couple 2 milers between now and then. But, I think mostly rest.

@DopeyBadger Billy, since last night was so short should I just jump back to my original plan and do my originally schedule M Tempo 8 miles? After we find out what the doc says, I'm sure we'll need to modify the schedule.

Heart goes out to Donna. We’ve all been there and all come back from these things. There are brighter days ahead. I’d say be patient and don’t project too far into the future. Let’s see what the doc says. It’s not impossible that she could still run a HM in late Feb.

Yes, go ahead and revert back to the original.

Last nights run was great!! Weather was amazing for the middle of January. Considering the night before we had a wind storm that knocked out power for 12 hours at the house. Crazy how hard it was blowing. Gusts nearby of 70mph.

I really like the M Tempo runs. I get in a good comfortable pace and it just feels good. Don't really like the WU/CD pace though. My form is already questionable and I feel like it falls apart at the slower pace. Overall the paces were pretty good. The last M pace was a little fast, but I didn't really fight it as it was mostly a slight decline and it felt right.

1-13-21.png

@DopeyBadger Billy, with Donna out for a bit, do I do the same as when we were apart? Just run her runs as EA or slower? Thanks!

@DopeyBadger Billy, with Donna out for a bit, do I do the same as when we were apart? Just run her runs as EA or slower? Thanks!

In the short term, yes, but let's reevaluate once we hear more next week Wednesday. Your EA and what you do for her run/walk aren't equivalent and so we may want to reconsider some of the future training depending on how long she's out for. But there's nothing that needs adjustment between now and next Wed. I'm looking at the 1/24 run as the first that we may want to reconsider.

In the short term, yes, but let's reevaluate once we hear more next week Wednesday. Your EA and what you do for her run/walk aren't equivalent and so we may want to reconsider some of the future training depending on how long she's out for. But there's nothing that needs adjustment between now and next Wed. I'm looking at the 1/24 run as the first that we may want to reconsider.

Sounds good. I'll keep her runs as easy as I can!

5 easy miles last night.

We ran the first 2.2 miles as run/walk intervals together. Donna's knee doesn't seem to flare up until sometime around 2.5 miles. So my thought was that I'm supposed to be running these easy and she can run that far pain free, we might as well get what we can out of her runs. I think we'll stick to that for Sat, Sun, and Tues. Then she has the doc on Wed and he can give her more instructions. Guess my thinking is something is better than nothing and as long as she is pain free it's probably ok.

1-14-21.png

Weekend update.
Saturday we did 3.45 miles. Ran/walked the first 2.7 miles and then walked the rest of the way home. Even though Donna's knee is still growling, she managed 2.7 miles pain free. Nothing for her on Sunday.

Sunday I did 13 miles on the trail. I ended up running this alone because my niece didn't get out of bed in time. I told her we leave at 0700 so I left her. I'm not sure she's going to actually run the race with me. I'm going to talk to her tonight and let her know that it's ok if she feels like she's got too much on her plate to go ahead an bow out of the training.

Run itself was fun and tiring! It's been nearly a month since I've run on the trail and I definitely could feel it and am still feeling it today. Had a little tightness in my calves and hamstrings around mile 12. Stopped and stretched before it got too bad and that seemed to help.

We had a pretty bad wind storm blow through last week and it showed on the trail. There were four fairly large trees down. Two of them were pretty easy to get over and two of them were a bit of a challenge. Had to crawl through the branches on one of them and then the other had landed directly on a small bridge. It completely wiped out the bridge and I had to do a bit of a tightrope walk across a 4x4 to get through the muck. Don't really have those problems running on the streets!!!

Ran a bit too fast yesterday. Probably one of the reasons it felt so hard.
1-17-21 pace comparison.png

Everything in red was too fast. Some of them are significantly too fast. I'll admit that I wasn't really paying much attention to pace. I was enjoying myself. I'll do a better job of slowing down next trail run. Since my niece didn't run with me, I just wanted to keep running and not take quite as many walk breaks.

two dollar to ridge.png

So I'm feeling the above section is going to be the real challenge of the race. It's a long, long, constant uphill with very little relief. During the race this comes in with the beginning of mile 12. It's actually along a road that goes to the top. Mentally challenging because all you see is uphill 2.8 miles of uphill, around every turn is more uphill.... running it during training is definitely going to pay off!

I'm thinking I pushed a little too hard on Sunday. Legs are moderately sore and fatigued and it showed up last night.

Monday was 2.5 miles at EA. No real problems with this. Legs felt tired but ok.

1-18-21.png

After the run, I went home and did a core workout. Everything felt fine, even after the core training.

Tuesday was a different story. At this point we still didn't know Donna's status so we went out and did a run/walk together. In the middle of this run, we stopped to take some video of her running so she could share it with the Doc and trainer at Wednesday's appointment. I wanted to add some resistance training in today, so I decided that 2.6 miles with her was enough and I headed in to do the workout. On my second set of squats my left hamstring got very tight. I tried to finish up what I could but every time I tried a squat or lunge, that hamstring would protest. I called it after this and decided rest would be best for the rest of the night.

1-19-21.png

I got up early and stretched this morning and I'm still pretty tight in the hips and thighs. Tonight is a 7 mile fast finish run. Hoping the legs don't protest too much.

On to a little better news. Donna saw the doc and trainer today. They said no structural damage and she can keep running. They recommended building up slowly from where she's at. Right now the pain comes in at about 2.5 miles so that's where we will start. She's been given some exercises and stretching to do so now we need to come up with a plan. Aaaaand since her plan is my plan plus my plan, I'm a little confused on where to go from here.

Can we still get to 10k/half by the end of Feb? Sure hope so!!

1-20-21.png

Per instructions, converted Wednesdays fast finish to 60 easy min. Everything felt great, tried to run this at the upper end of my EA pace. Glutes and hamstrings are still a smidge sore. Tonight is another easy run, should be about 2.5 miles with Donna.

@DopeyBadger Billy, what do I do for Sunday's 11.25 with Donna? With her being lame, I think at best she might be able to do 3 of that. Obviously for her we will only go until she starts feeling her knee. But should I be doing more on my own after that? Thanks!!!

Trying to not work weekends that I have trail runs. I gave my boss my schedule and asked to try and work around it. We'll see if they can accommodate. The work can be done without me. But if I don't show up, it's more work for everyone else.

Why can't I just win the lottery and then run whenever I want! Oh yeah, I don't buy tickets! That's why!!

@DopeyBadger Billy, what do I do for Sunday's 11.25 with Donna? With her being lame, I think at best she might be able to do 3 of that. Obviously for her we will only go until she starts feeling her knee. But should I be doing more on my own after that? Thanks!!!

Cap the Donna LR weekends at 120 min of easy running.

A little catching up to do. Didn't get in last Thursday's run. Had a dentist appointment and I was exhausted afterward. I'm such a wimp when it comes to the dentist. I get really stressed about it, even for a simple cleaning and then I'm just exhausted afterward.

Anyway. Saturday, with Donna 2.63 pain free miles. She did great!

1-23-21.png

Nice relaxing run. Weather was fairly nice and there were a lot of folks out and about. Had to dodge more than usual!

Sunday, Donna did 3 miles! Said that she could feel the knee getting tight toward the end. We stopped and stretched it once at about 2.6 miles and she was able to get to 3 with no pain.
I finished up by running a comfortable 7 miles after that. Ran around my old route which includes the half mile hill. Felt good and still feel good today! Last mile was too fast but it was a gentle downhill for most of it and it still felt really good.
1-24-21.png

Monday 5 miles EA. Picked a little different route today. Added some long hills to an otherwise easy run. Still ran it at an easy and comfortable pace. Hills aren't quite as intimidating as they used to be.

1-25-21.png

Tuesday we didn't run. We were blinded sided by some very sad news. One of Donna's best friends daughter sadly ended her own life. We are completely heartbroken. She hadn't given any indication that she was troubled. So, so sad....

Wednesday 8 miles M Tempo. Totally enjoyed this run! Felt more comfortable at M pace the farther I got into the run. Mile 3 felt great mile 4 was comfortable as well! May or may not run tonight as Donna is heading up to be support for her friend. If I run it'll be by myself and just a few EA miles.

1-27-21.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter